Thread: Bodum Granos Brackdown and Repair

Bodum Granos Brackdown and Repair

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi just a note on my journey to repair my Bodum. First, to all the sceptics this machine pulls a reasonable shot with experience as all machines can. The best thing is the 19 Barr pressure is great for excellent micro beads in Milk.

When my Bodum died I thought well it does not owe me anything as I got it cheep. I will sure miss the great steam pressure.
    The repairs were going to be $320 more than I wanted to spend so I thought I would give it a go myself. I found out that most of the home machines use the same Italian pump. So I took one out of a brevil and put it into my Bodum and all working fine. The Bodum has finer hoses and that helps to build up the pressure to 19 Barr.

TC

Re: Bodum Granos Brackdown and Repair

Quote Originally Posted by 75656175340 link=1252597956/0#0 date=1252597956
    Hi just a note on my journey to repair my Bodum. First, to all the sceptics this machine pulls a reasonable shot with experience as all machines can. The best thing is the 19 Barr pressure is great for excellent micro beads in Milk.

When my Bodum died I thought well it does not owe me anything as I got it cheep. I will sure miss the great steam pressure.
    The repairs were going to be $320 more than I wanted to spend so I thought I would give it a go myself. I found out that most of the home machines use the same Italian pump. So I took one out of a brevil and put it into my Bodum and all working fine. The Bodum has finer hoses and that helps to build up the pressure to 19 Barr.
    :o Aqua! What you need to do is soup it up so you can get 50 bar. Or make it twice as good and get 100bar or a whole pub of bars! ;)

These machines use a pressurised filter basket- many holes one side and just one or two on the lower side. They create foamy brown stuff (which I wouldnt call espresso) by running ridiculous pressures in the basket. This allows them to work with stale supermarket coffee.

Given a choice, what you really want is about 1/2 the pressure you have an a real basket. A search on this site will provide you with more information and a pathway to better coffee.

2mcm

Hi Aqua,

I have a dead Granos (circuit board fault) the pump appears to be standard Ulka 48W pump as you said.
    I would imagine may get 19 bar on the bench under specific non-espresso machine conditions.
    The pressurizing insert in the brass group handle is easily removed with a PH screw driver, the baskets are standard Sunbeam/Breville pressurized filter baskets and are easy enough to convert to unpressurised, as are most.
    I suspect the 19 bar talk is advertising/sales crap, never take it seriously.
    I am a simple man your honour, with modest taste in coffee, old used taste buds and an even more modest wallet.
    As a newbie, I think with diligence this machine would make good espresso and suit many.
    They are a fabulous looking machine something akin to a bright chromed version of the Shanghais skyline.

Kind Regards
    Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by 2D726A7C777C7079797A7A727E711F0 link=1252597956/1#1 date=1252617701
    Aqua! What you need to do is soup it up so you can get 50 bar. Or make it twice as good and get 100bar or a whole pub of bars!

Hmmm I was expecting a comment like this very sharp. Quoting the sales pitch on the Sunbeam 69-- the group head has 14 bar pressure and the milk frother has 4 bar and you here a lot of complaints about the milk pressure.

The Bodum Milk pressure is great much better than any machine that I have seen and being thermoblock it goes forever. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 212423293E2C343F2C4D0 link=1252597956/2#2 date=1252622958
    I have a dead Granos (circuit board fault) the pump appears to be standard Ulka 48W pump as you said.
    I would imagine may get 19 bar on the bench under specific non-espresso machine conditions.
    Hi Lindsay
    In my hast to find out what was wrong with my machine. It was just steeming out the group head and I seem to now have a hairline crack in the thermo block group head. I mainly use the steam for milk. Would you be interested in selling the thermo block on your machine? :-?

Quote Originally Posted by 045B43555E5559505053535B5758360 link=1252597956/1#1 date=1252617701
    Given a choice, what you really want is about 1/2 the pressure you have an a real basket. A search on this site will provide you with more information and a pathway to better coffee.
    Hi 2mcm. Thanks for the tip have got to and drilled out the preasure baskets sure taste better. But now I need to get a better grinder when will this enlightenment stop.
    Peter :)

Hi 2mcm,

Quote Originally Posted by 78273F292229252C2C2F2F272B244A0 link=1252597956/1#1 date=1252617701
    A search on this site will provide you with more information and a pathway to better coffee.
    To be consistent to the vibe if not the rule and in the interests of fairness I think we should tell the poor punters up front:
    "Not so much a pathway as a TOLLWAY to better coffee".
    But still a lovely trip.

Kind Regards
    Lindsay