Thread: Rancilio Silvia 09

Rancilio Silvia 09

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,
    I desperately need help. I have a rancilio silvia 2009 for 2 months now. But I have been having a problem in getting good shots. The coffee is coming too quickly. I dont have grinder. First I bought pre ground coffee from a coffee shop. But It was coming too quickly. Then I contacted the supplier where I got my machine from, and was told that The Rancilio Silvia uses many commercial components therefore it requires a commercial grind (finer than standard espresso). So I bought the coffee (finer than standard espresso). Unfortunatey, same thing still happened.

Can anyone please help me? I dont want to make stupid decision, which I know Ill regret it later (i.e selling it). Thanks

TC

Re: Rancilio Silvia 09

Quote Originally Posted by 5B544B4B6E5B544B4B310 link=1252656793/0#0 date=1252656793
    Hi guys,
    I desperately need help. I have a rancilio silvia 2009 for 2 months now. But I have been having a problem in getting good shots. The coffee is coming too quickly. I dont have grinder. First I bought pre ground coffee from a coffee shop. But It was coming too quickly. Then I contacted the supplier where I got my machine from, and was told that The Rancilio Silvia uses many commercial components therefore it requires a commercial grind (finer than standard espresso). So I bought the coffee (finer than standard espresso). Unfortunatey, same thing still happened.

Can anyone please help me? I dont want to make stupid decision, which I know Ill regret it later (i.e selling it). Thanks
    Hi Jezz- 3 easy steps:

1. Buy a good grinder or put your Silvia in a cupboard until you do
    2. Buy freshly roasted coffee <3 weeks old. You will not find this at a supermarket
    3. Get some training to help you to get the best from your machine

Cheers

2mcm

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

where are you located jez? someone may be able to help, dont panic, its all good, just some technique training and all the stuff 2mcm said above, dont sell it, youll get there, if your in brissie i may be able to give you some guidance.

dont worry, great shots are just around the corner ;)

What they said.

It is very difficult to get good shots from pre-ground coffee, its why the best cafés all grind to order.

Let us know where you are, were nearly all addicted to helping other coffee lovers, as well as to coffee itself! ::)

Greg

ditto to all.... buy a grinder and get fresh beans! great shots from there arent far off, but without these things, great shots are far off.

There are lots of CSers who would no doubt love to help, just let us know where you reside. ;)

Then I contacted the supplier where I got my machine from, and was told that The Rancilio Silvia uses many commercial components therefore it requires a commercial grind (finer than standard espresso).
    :-? So what is a standard espresso grind ::) Supplier should spend a bit of time around here they could have picked up a grinder sale ;D
    Are you using a tamper I hope your not using that plastic thing Rancilio supply.

:-? So what is a standard espresso grind ::)
    Easy--thats the one that works in my machine right now. ;D

Greg

Thanks Guys for the responds. I live in South of Perth.
    I really dont want to sell it. Although I dont get good shots, but I love it :P
    I dont use the plastic tamper that came within the package. The supplier where I got my machine from, had a professional 58mm Tamper upgrade

I was going to buy a grinder & I heard Rocky was the best grinder. Unfortunately, Its too expensive. Any suggestion on good yet affordable grinder?

2nd hand Rocky (around $300). You wont look back. We had a em0480 (around $170) which was really great with our em6910 but when we aquired a commercial 1 group machine we reckoned we could justify buying the Rocky to make running events easier. Its great.

Some cheap grinder options are:

Sunbeam EM0450 for ~$150 - Plastic shell
    Sunbeam EM0480 for ~$200 - Stainless steel shell

Once you have your grinder your going to need some FRESH coffee.

I suggest clicking on "Buy Brown" at the top left hand cnr of the page.

If you would like to know some local coffee roasters then send me a PM. I wont plug them here because they are not site sponsors (which they should be!)

Deano

Or alternatively you could keep your eye out in teh for sale section, or put in a "wanted to buy" post for a second hand Rocky, they are built like a brick...........,they are a perfect partner for the silvia, they pop up pretty regularly too due to ppl upgrading their espresso machines and in turn upgrading grinders, i just sold mine last week, sorry :-[

Best of Luck, dont give up, dont sell it ;)

Does anyone have an opinion on the Saeco MC2002 Burr Grinder??

Whats the next best grinder that go with my rancilio silvia? I cant find a second hand rancilio rocky. I can;t afford to buy the new one.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 4C435C5C794C435C5C260 link=1252656794/12#12 date=1253841229
    Whats the next best grinder that go with my rancilio silvia? I cant find a second hand rancilio rocky. I can;t afford to buy the new one.
    I would get a Sunbeam EM0450 for around $150.

Imo far better then a sunbeam, Iberital challege, about $300

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 574F4A4A5F4E65575B540C0D3A0 link=1252656794/14#14 date=1253844962
    Imo far better then a sunbeam, Iberital challege, about $300
    Fair call MM. I should have explained my recommendation better ..... JJ could spend $150 now then when hes ready to and can afford it, upgrade to a Rocky or better.

Hey Guys

I was about to get a Silvia too. Like Jezz Jezz, I was expecting it to produce miracles without too much effort on my part. Now Im having second thoughts.

There are second hand commercial 1 groups around. Are these more idiot proof than Silvia?

Also, if Jezz Jezzs machine is coming too soon, does this have a connection with todays top Barista story?
    (see http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1253831390)

Caffeine Junky

The Silvia is the most popular machine of its type in the world and not without good reason. I have not used a Silvia but my Napoletana is a very similar-spec machine which I feel is easy to use. I can’t see any reason why the Silvia would be any different.

Although you may need to play around to get the absolute best out of the Silvia (e.g. temperature surfing) that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to get excellent espresso very quickly.

Getting a second hand commercial could be very risky. What may seem like a bargain could ended up costing you a lot more in repairs.

Hx machines (including commercials) can be more idiot proof than a Silvia and if set up correctly, (correct boiler pressure, thermosyphon and pump pressure) will be more idiot proof. Be aware that many single group commercials are plumb in. If buying second hand there is a big chance it needs a good service. (at a minimum new group seals and a descale)

Quote Originally Posted by 2C233C3C192C233C3C460 link=1252656794/12#12 date=1253841229
    With all due respect, you spent $800 on a brand new Silvia but cant justify $400 on a grinder so it can produce something drinkable? You could spend $15,000 on a super duper machine and with pre-ground coffee it wont give you anything better than what youre getting at the moment. I realise you probably wish you knew all this before (and the supplier should have told you! *>:(), but with a fixed budget of $800 you would have been better off being advised towards the Rocky and a cheaper machine like a Breville Ikon or a Sunbeam EM5900 and changed the baskets. Or got a siphon / plunger / dripolator / Presso / aeropress and saved up for the Silvia. Good espresso relies far far far far more on fresh beans, correct technique and a good grinder than the machine. Unfortunately it looks like the supplier was far more interested in making a quick sale than giving you the right advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 2C233C3C192C233C3C460 link=1252656794/0#0 date=1252656793
    Then I contacted the supplier where I got my machine from, and was told that The Rancilio Silvia uses many commercial components therefore it requires a commercial grind (finer than standard espresso). So I bought the coffee (finer than standard espresso). Unfortunatey, same thing still happened. *
    A case in point. If they couldnt see fresh beans and a grinder being the solution to your problem I wouldnt go back there because frankly I dont think they know what theyre talking about (and having lived in Perth I have a fair idea of which supplier youre talking about too, and it sounds like nothings changed...). Apart from using regular baskets (as opposed to pressurised baskets as in *some cheaper machines), theres nothing inherent in the Silvia that makes it require a different grind to any other decent machine. Pre-ground coffee, no matter how fine, goes stale within minutes of grinding.

Stick around here and youll get the right advice because it comes from people who dont have vested interests. OK we have sponsors who naturally are in business but I think youll find the sponsors are more interested in getting you set up with the right solution than the one thats most profitable for them. 2mcm (the first respondent to your question) is in fact a site sponsor (Talk Coffee) and didnt push you into getting something from his business; I likewise am a sponsor (Pullman Tampers) and I havent mentioned my products at all in this post. Were here to help.

Enjoy the ride! ;)

Greg

Greg I dont think that a Rocky is necessarily a bare minimum grinder to match with a Silvia. Based on information from this forum my first grinder to go with the Silvia was an Iberital Challenge and it produced great shots. There are many reasons to prefer a more industrial grinder but if at this stage if all they can afford is the likes of Iberital or Nemox then I think these grinders will prove to be satifactory. Especially when compared to store bought beans. The big advantages in my Superjolly over the Iberital are more to do with usability, ie doser, mess, noise, grind adjustment and longevity. Any discernible difference in cup quality was minor and far from mind blowing.

I agree it sounds like the service was pretty poor. Any retailer worth their salt would be strongly recommending a suitable grinder when selling a Silvia. The issue isnt that Silvia has commercial components its about duel wall filter baskets vs regular filter baskets.

Id agree 100% MM. The 0450 is really the bare minimum in that sense, Im not a big fan of the Rocky myself, but its going to be a more reliable unit in the long term than a Sunbeam. Im really though just using the Rocky as an example - any decent grinder in that category (Iberital Challenge, Ascaso i-mini, Nemox etc) as youve said would do a comparable job, but the key is to get something in that bracket or better and to get the right advice.

Just to be fair, I bought my silvia online. Although there wasnt any specification on the suppliers website that silvia use commercial components and require coffee grounds that is finer than normal espresso. I thought I can use any pre ground coffees. So I was thinking to buy silvia first and get the grinder sometime in the future. Turns out I was wrong.

I have owned a Silvia and occasionally was caught out by running out of fresh beans (due to slackness), forcing me to use supermarket beans, and on one occasion I grabbed pre-ground in error, I did not find the flow rate to be hugely influenced. The crema was definitely not as full but the coffee was O.k. Has the problem of Silvia being shipped with excessive group head delivery pressure been resolved on the 09 Silvia? I seem to remember comments from at least one of the site sponsers who sell these machines that a pre delivery check and set was almost essential.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D322D2D083D322D2D570 link=1252656794/22#22 date=1254274071
    I thought I can use any pre ground coffees. So I was thinking to buy silvia first and get the grinder sometime in the future. Turns out I was wrong.
    You wouldnt be the first and Im sure you wont be the last unfortunately. But at least youll be able to see how much of a difference fresh beans and a good grinder make when you get them.

Hey Greg, do you think it would be worthwhile to get the sunbeam grinder and use it for, say, 1 year then upgrade it to rocky or similar?

jezz, when i first got my silvia, i coupled it with a 0480, it worked fine, and produced lovely shots, but then i then found this site and upgraded to a rocky.......big difference, big big difference, that being said, i found the rocky somewhat inadequate with some beans, the Indian Monsooned Malaba AA from a few beanbays ago would simply not grind fine enough, i had to updose to the max on the finest grind possible on the rocky, and the hardest tamp i could possibly manage to get 60ml in 30 sec for a double, anything less was a gusher, my new ECA grinder grinds it beautifully with plenty of adjustment to spare.

Overall i think the 0480 is amazing value for money, if thats what you can afford at this stage with the notion of upgrading in the future.....go for it, id prolly be upgrading higher though.....
    my 2 cents
    warren

Put simply, the 0480 will be 1000x (at least) better than pre-ground. It wont last as long as some of the better grinders so in a few years you might be up for another one, but if its all you can justify at the moment then itll be better than nothing. Alternatively if you can stretch it to one of the other units muppet_man67 mentioned earlier thatd be a bonus. But even better, if you can push past the Rocky price point and get into a Compak, the K-3 series may be worth a look. You suddenly start getting commercial here so instead of lots of plastic as is in the Rocky and below you start getting metal, more robust designs, far longer lifespans etc.

I guess most of us have been through the frustrations of upgrading rather than going straight to what we have now. While its an interesting exercise it ends up costing more in the long run, cheaper stuff isnt as reliable normally (the Sunbeam grinders for example are known to having to be adjusted finer and finer over time so eventually you cant get fine enough) and you add certain frustrations to the process you dont experience on better equipment.

For what its worth, my first machine came with a built-in Lux grinder which worked fine. When I got the Silvia I had to get a separate grinder and got the Mazzer Mini and a Compak K-3 Elite (ended up selling the Compak). Both were faster and quieter than the Lux, built far more solidly (metal bearing carriers rather than plastic) and the Minis still with me to this day doing duty in my office at work. I doubt an 0480 would still be going as good as day 1 for the same amount of work the Minis had.

Good luck whichever way you go.
    Greg

Gday my name is Andrew and if you are interested in selling your Rancilio Silvia I am looking to buy one for myself.

Thank you for your time and if you do keep it I hope you solve your problem.