Thread: 2010 SILVIA?

2010 SILVIA?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    With the death of my Aldi machine Im in the market for a replacement and the Silvia appears to be the only machine that can make decent espresso under 1k, other than perhaps the Sunbeam 6910.

As the current Silvia is a recent upgrade I am wondering if anyone "in the know" has heard whats on the cards for 2010?

Considering all the machines getting the PID mod is Rancilio likely to be making this a factory feature in the next model. If so it may be worth putting up with plunger until the new model is released.

Bernard

Site Sponsor

Re: 2010 SILVIA?

Bernard, youve got your crystal ball in overdrive! ;D

Seriously though, espresso machines arent like cars. They dont come out with changes every year just to make you feel like you have to upgrade to the "new model". But for the record, we havent heard of any impending changes. I wouldnt be putting up with plunger on the off chance there is a change sometime in the future (which may or may not actually make the machine better ... ;)

charlie

Just sitting here having some lunch and spotted your interesting quetsion.

As a direct importer of the Silvia:

Occasionally we get factory advice about a change they are making or have already made to the machines in our upcoming order (that we didnt know about).

Most often we dont know much until a consignment lands, and then we find if anything has changed.

Sometimes we find out that there has been a change made...simply because another importer somewhere else in the world has just received their new stock and noted changes, and this gets picked up on the net for everyone to see.....

They dont always reply to our email requests for info or whatever/....

The longer you deal wth Rancilio the easier it gets ie you get to understand their methods or just go with the flow. It helps if you are easygoing *;D

In the end, we simply order so many machines, and they send them...they are either the same as "last time", or they have some "upgrades" *;)

For the rest of it:
    Its a great machine (if not the best) in its price bracket. The early versions were in my opinion just about as good as the current "upgraded" ones.

As a consequence my question would be, why did they"upgrade" them?

I have already declared my commercial interest by saying we import them. That stated.....they are more expensive for you to buy than the Sunbeam (also a great machine in its class) but ask yourself the question, which of the two will still be with you in 10 years and with the least amount of costly service during the period? Spare parts availability over the period? Simplicity to service by anyone?

We will know in 2010 if they have any changes in the wind for stock they manufacture in 2010 / not being facetious!

They dont need a PID.....as with any machine and grinder combo, you (the operator) just need to learn the best method of operation for your equipment. Your brain is the PID.

That said we are all individuals and some like to do the mod. And thats fine. Just note however when alls said and done any pidded version of the machine will have an immediate effect on your wallet, but may not necessarily have much effect on your coffee enjoyment if you have done a good job of learning to use your equipment in the traditional way.

If you like the Silvia, just buy one, I cant see any apparent reason for holding out just in case they make any more upgrades.

You wont be disappointed either way.

Just my honest opinions! :)

Good luck,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by 07332432291E022E27272424410 link=1252896728/2#2 date=1252904228

Good luck,
    Attilio

And a terrific reply as well Attilio [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ahh shucks,

thank you!

A.

I cant see them ever piding a silvia. A better thermostat would be nice though, a digi one like a minore would be awesome. Im not holding my breath though.

Thanks for the excellent replies. Ive been convinced not to wait to buy a new machine. I was hoping to stretch the funds to an Expobar Leva but at around $2200 I cant quite make it. The Silvia might be a bit of a chore when entertaining but for 95% of my needs its fine and $1400 is spmewhat over the top for the other 5%.

I just came from trying out a freinds Silvia and had some very nice coffee. Its a good thing I am a night owl after 2 lattes and one and a bit espressos in just over an hour. The bit was trying the single basket as i couldnt understand how it didnt create nice single shots but im convinced its true.

Now ive got to do some serious surfing to track down the best price.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

In addition to surfing, I suggest you contact the site sponsors. You can easily contact them all at once by using an email address on the RHS of this page.

All the best

Daniel

LHS

depends if you look at you monitor upside down TG then its the right hand side.

Go the Silvia Bernard you wont regret it, and especially wont do so in 10 years time when shes still going then strong!! they are an awesome machine with a little love and working on your technique

I just realised why I was having so much trouble using my laptop ;)

New 2009 Silvia is now on order from one of the sponsors, fingers crossed it will get here by Friday so I can have all weekend to play.

Also looking into a pullman tamper and synesso dbl ridgless which seem quite popular among members.

Bernard

Wega Mininova Classic Seeya_Latte's Avatar

BW

Seems like the Silvia ticks off all the boxes for you.

Even as far back as 10 years ago when I first got my Cimbali Domus, the Silvia was best in its class.....some things dont change. I wouldnt second guess its build or capability and service to you for the next 10 years to come.

You buy good quality, itll last (stands true what ever your budget is). Touch wood, even I got a good run out of $400.

Youre likely to turn it in because you wish for something bigger and fancier.....not because the Silvia is no good or wont last the distance.

Seeya

Quote Originally Posted by 6A5E495F44736F434A4A49492C0 link=1252896728/2#2 date=1252904228
    Just sitting here having some lunch and spotted your interesting quetsion.

As a direct importer of the Silvia:

Occasionally we get factory advice about a change they are making or have already made to the machines in our upcoming order (that we didnt know about).

Most often we dont know much until a consignment lands, and then we find if anything has changed.

Sometimes we find out that there has been a change made...simply because another importer somewhere else in the world has just received their new stock and noted changes, and this gets picked up on the net for everyone to see.....

They dont always reply to our email requests for info or whatever/....

The longer you deal wth Rancilio the easier it gets ie you get to understand their methods or just go with the flow. It helps if you are easygoing *;D

In the end, we simply order so many machines, and they send them...they are either the same as "last time", or they have some "upgrades" *;)

For the rest of it:
    Its a great machine (if not the best) in its price bracket. The early versions were in my opinion just about as good as the current "upgraded" ones.

As a consequence my question would be, why did they"upgrade" them?

I have already declared my commercial interest by saying we import them. That stated.....they are more expensive for you to buy than the Sunbeam (also a great machine in its class) but ask yourself the question, which of the two will still be with you in 10 years and with the least amount of costly service during the period? Spare parts availability over the period? Simplicity to service by anyone?

We will know in 2010 if they have any changes in the wind for stock they manufacture in 2010 / not being facetious!

They dont need a PID.....as with any machine and grinder combo, you (the operator) just need to learn the best method of operation for your equipment. Your brain is the PID.

That said we are all individuals and some like to do the mod. And thats fine. Just note however when alls said and done any pidded version of the machine will have an immediate effect on your wallet, but may not necessarily have much effect on your coffee enjoyment if you have done a good job of learning to use your equipment in the traditional way.

If you like the Silvia, just buy one, I cant see any apparent reason for holding out just in case they make any more upgrades.

You wont be disappointed either way.

Good luck,
    Attilio

Great response, i too am i the market for the Silvia and didnt know whether the old out for the 2010.

Just grab one!! Theyre brilliant! I have a cheapish 2 group commercial machine at work and aside from the volume issue... Miss Silvia pumps out BETTER coffee (especially thanks to my new Macap M5!

Miss Silvia has arrived and shes luverly.

Ive claimed a corner of the kitchen and its all set up next to the Rocky and heating up for the first shot wooohoo. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 24252B71647474130 link=1252896728/15#15 date=1253265336

Ive claimed a corner of the kitchen and its all set up next to the Rocky and heating up for the first shot wooohoo. :)
    I can feel your excitement! :D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 54415C5D580501330 link=1252896728/16#16 date=1253265883
    Quote Originally Posted by 24252B71647474130 link=1252896728/15#15 date=1253265336

I can feel your excitement! *:D
    Gronk. U worry me somtimes ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 5F70797B6C537F707F797B737B706A1E0 link=1252896728/17#17 date=1253266756
    Gronk.U worry me somtimes
    I worry me sometimes ;D

Well the first shot was a bust. Rocky set to 10 was to course and came out watery, next will be on 8 as soon as I put on some ebay bids for SWMBO.

initial dial in can take a few shots. Once thats done youll find that you rarely have to go more then a couple of notches either way. :)

Mmm miss Silvia what a wonderful lady!! ;D

I just bought mine today... Went in for a demo only and walked out with the 2009 model and a rocky :)

The first shot i think i "over tamped" (slow extraction and amazingly bitter)... I got a bit better with a light tamp (but about a ten second extraction) and then slightly better with a moderate tamp...

This is alot harder than i thought. Off to get some fresh beans (ran out of them today) tomorrow and get the espresso dialled in.

R

I to am having trouble dialing it in. I started out pulling double shots into our large cups and found the coffee way to weak. I measured the cups and found they were just shy of 350 ml :o so obviously that size requires a double into each cup.

However cup size aside im getting very inconsisnt results. I just made two lattes. The first seemed to be reasonable though it did blonde a little early for a double at 18 seconds. The second was blonde at 10 >:(

I have the Rocky on 8 atm but will try 7 today.

Im sure that part of the problem is the terrible plastic tamper supplied with the machine. It feels horrible in the hand and is way to small for the basket.

I have a pullman tamper and synesso double basket on order which should go a long way towards sorting it out but I will probably have to start over with sorting the grind.

i have a big metal tamper... They say that 30pounds is required, so that is about 13kg...

Thats a fair bit of presure! A little over the weight of the silvia itself!

Trouble is with the undersize convex tamper supplied its virtualy impossible to apply even pressure in the basket.

A heavy tamp in the center with this thing applies no pressure at all around the edge so I have to try to tamp the edges with the outer edge of the tamper. *This makes it impossible to get an even tamp and must be encouraging chaneling.

I cant for the life of me understand why Rancilio would supply a tamper that is such a poor fit. *Surely it would be possible to provide a tamper that actually fit heir own baskets. *Cant wait for the pullman to turn up.

Unfortunately Rancilio are not the only makers to provide a bit of plastic as a substitute for a tamper.

Both my VBM and Diadema came with a generic plastic mushroom that must cost them all of 50 to throw in the box, and flexed wildly in use.

Its one of "those" unexpected expenses that crop up in getting a high quality product.

The plastic tamper is like the speaker cables (HA!) provided with a music system purchase--discard and replace.

Have fun when the real thing arrives. :)

Greg

brett230873

Part of a Snobs research into what bling would best accompany the caffine addiction should reveal the need to factor in several accompanying articles for which to budget. For most espresso machines these are:

1. A good tamper
    2. Descale product, blind filter and group brush
    3. A glorious knockbox to make your friends jealous

I have had my Pullman tamper for... when did you start making them Greg? ... at least 10 years and it has outlasted 3 great upgrades. Pretty darn good value when you look at in this light.

Enjoy your new machine... a truely great and snobby choice!

Quote Originally Posted by 01110617175150535B5450630 link=1252896728/27#27 date=1253409702
    Part of a Snobs research into what bling would best accompany the caffine addiction should reveal the need to factor in several accompanying articles for which to budget. *For most espresso machines these are:

1. A good tamper
    2. Descale product, blind filter and group brush
    3. A glorious knockbox to make your friends jealous

I have had my Pullman tamper for... when did you start making them Greg? ... at least 10 years and it has outlasted 3 great upgrades. *Pretty darn good value when you look at in this light.

Enjoy your new machine... a truely great and snobby choice!
    December 2002 it all started and you ordered yours January 03. Unscrew the handle and check out the serial number on the top of your base; thatll give you an idea how far back yours goes! Might even get you bragging rights if you add it to your CS profile footer.

brett230873

Pullman January 2003

Okay, so a few years to hit the 10 year mark, but the Pullman tamper is the only bit of my kit that hasnt required an upgrade. I bought it initially to get the most out of my mighty Siliva and it has complemented all other upgrades.

Good to hear. From day 1 they were designed to be long-lasting high-quality products; as theyve developed I believe theyve got even better but yours is a case in point that even the original ones are living up to their charter.

Um, yours does have a serial number doesnt it? My records indicate it should.

brett230873

Actually Greg, I cant find it. *I have unscrewed the handle from the base and there is nothing etched on either piece. *Please see attached pic. *Apologies to those camera snobs, this was a quick snap. *Mods, feel free to move this to another thread if I have hijacked Bernards thread. *The thematic link is that this glorious piece of kit (Pullman Tamper) has served a Silvia with distinction, and the plastic thingy shipped with the Rancilio became a negative carbon credit!

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 39293E2F2F69686B636C685B0 link=1252896728/31#31 date=1253509635
    Actually Greg, I cant find it.
    Its a rare "stampless" pullman!, priceless ;D, doesnt make them any less amazing! 10 years hey, happy 10 anniversary tamper!

Ah thats right... Ive got you down as #13 in my records but I dont think I started giving them numbers until about #25. It was never in the plan, I mean, there could never be much of a market for coffee tampers that dont break could there? ::)

WSullys right, there are only a couple of dozen out there with no numbers on them. A rare find indeed!

Greg

PS Anyway back to the 2010 Silvia...!

brett230873

Funny... 13 is kind of a lucky number for me! All the best with your coffee adventure Bernard! With sponsors like Greg on your side you cant go wrong!