Thread: Buying a 2nd Hand Silvia

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Buying a 2nd Hand Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After all the rave reviews on Silvias I think its the machine for me! They come up on Ebay every now and then but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts either way about buying these machines 2nd hand.

My fear is that if i buy the machine and have problems getting good shots, i wont know whether its something wrong with the machine or whether its my beans etc etc...its another element to consider.

I will of course buy a good grinder....

OR....are these things so well made that providing they are doing the basics, i have nothing to worry about?

cheers

tony

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: Buying a 2nd Hand Silvia

Like anything tony, they can be mistreated, enquire of their cleaning programme, and delve a little into their knowledge of cleaning "what descale solution do you use?" "do you have reciepts for service?" what you want to know is, whether they have the knowledge to maintain a machine of that caliber, it they bought it, made coffee for 2 years, never descaled..............hmmmmmm id be worried, if its the deal of the century though, and it produces hot water, good strong steam.....then it might be worth the gamble......might, that said they are built like a brick s^&thouse, hard to kill.

cheers
    warren

Quote Originally Posted by 3733150C0C0916010E600 link=1253407852/1#1 date=1253408351
    .....might, that said they are built like a brick s^&thouse, hard to kill.

cheers
    warren
    Thanks Warren - i think i will buy a new one.

There are so many variables to getting good coffee that I dont want to introduce a whole set of unknowns !

Tony,

I purchased my SH Silvia from a CS member a few years ago, and had no problems with it.
    They are built to last, and if looked after will last a long time.
    Some other sellers on other sites that offer used machines may not be so reliable, however most CS members who offer their machines would be happy to explain how they have looked after the machine.
    If you can find someone local they might even be happy to give you some assistance to help you get started.

Silvia is not that hard to learn on as some seem to make out,
    a good grinder and fresh beans are the most important things, without them it can be very difficult to achieve much,
    then start out using only the double basket, if you purchased a used machine from CS member its possible it might come with a slightly larger double basket, which can work even better.
    Also worth spending $ on a better tamper than the standard plastic one, apart from that its just some practice and experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by 73445D5D584545310 link=1253407852/3#3 date=1253486461
    Tony,

I purchased my SH Silvia from a CS member a few years ago, and had no problems with it.
    Thanks Bullitt.

I ended up buying a Sunbeam Cafe Series machine and am very happy with it.