Thread: Which temperature surfing Miss Silvia is correct?

Which temperature surfing Miss Silvia is correct?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Silly question. Have been looking at the webpages and Youtube video they all seem to be different.

The Youtube video says to release a bit of water once light goes off then pull shot.

The Mark Prince webpage says pull shot 30secs after light comes on.

So who is right?

Maybe someone with a PID can tell me.

Re: Which temperature surfing Miss Silvia is correct?

I run water run through until the light comes on, then wait for it to go out, allow a little water to come through again to get rid of steam, then pull the shot.

Drawing water through the steam arm is more consistent imo. Their are arguments both ways though. Some people think its better to pull the shot while the element is on to help compensate for the cold water entering the boiler.

Im not sure if anyone has ever scaced the various techniques. It would be an interesting experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by 0C14111104153E0C000F5756610 link=1253699725/2#2 date=1253702181
    Im not sure if anyone has ever scaced the various techniques
    The most likely person to have done this had the following advice ...
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1227428190/85#85

Ive spent a fair amount of time pulling the shot on the heating side of the cycle at varying temps (& getting great results) but a few weeks ago decided to try the cooling side (flushing ~30ml at the peak). *Im still hunting around to find the best temp but the gut feel so far is that the shots look better (not quite "even the white bits were black" but I need to take more notice of the time) and more consistent but the taste is marginally behind. *With more time Im sure that will be fixed.

So... if youre careful, I think either can give great results but the down swing may be more repeatable.

BTW - A PID means you dont need to surf so someone with a PID _cant_ tell you. *You pay all that money so you can just walk up & go without needing to worry about where in the cycle your Silvia is *:)
    (However gronking makes life without a PID sooooo much easier)

Wheres the Silvia temp surfing thread gone

I was reading it today, now its gone.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 514E445548464A4255270 link=1253699727/4#4 date=1253792771
    I was reading it today, now its gone.
    It was so off topic as to be useless vicroamer, so it was binned. I have retreived the posts which did have some value... Hopefully now the thread can stay on topic. In the meantime, the mod team will leave the bin lid open just in case ;)

2mcm

Thank for putting it back up 2mcm.

I use a PID these days but it took a while. When surfing I used a falling temp after the light went out but didnt realise how far out I was until I fitted a thermocouple. There is some good time & temp data in the "Id really like to PID my Silvia but" thread at the head of this section.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 617E746578767A7265170 link=1253699727/6#6 date=1253865185
    There is some good time & temp data in the "Id really like to PID my Silvia but" thread at the head of this section.
    Hope this helps.
    Ill second this. Its a lot easier to visualize if you can get readings back from your boiler - but Gronk, and others cover a lot of the ins and outs of what your boiler is actually doing in the thread that vicroamer points out. Check it out.

The two points of view you mention may actually be saying the same thing in terms of actual temperature (or range). The youtube video sounds as though it is trying to get you to pull a shot when the temp is on its way down - it even helps you send the temp down by getting rid of some of the water. Mark Prince is getting you to pull a shot when the temp is on its way up. :) If youre lucky, the temps might be the same.

This is a really worthwhile endeavor. My shots have improved a lot since I gronked my machine, and was able to introduce a whole new level of repeatability to my coffee making. Seeing it in action helped me grasp it better, but your ability to grasp the laws of Silvia thermodynamics may be better than mine!

Good luck