Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: A little confused..EM6910

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    46

    A little confused..EM6910

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I watching the Sunbeam training DVD yet again today and there is something troubling me.

    Firstly i only make Lattes, Cappucinnos and Flat Whites. I understand 25 to 30ml of expresso is classified as a single shot and have the double basket installed. I almost always make two coffees with two x 190ml cups.

    Now if the "double expresso" button is pushed on the EM6910 it is setup to deliver 60mls of expresso (30mls each cup approx.) and the single will pour 30ml (15mls each cup approx.), correct?

    After some taste testing it seems a single shot is plenty for me and my wife so shouldnt i have the single basket installed and pour by using the "double" expresso button? What benefit is there keeping the double basket installed for single shot pouring?

    Learning. learning, learning.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    979

    Re: A little confused..EM6910

    If you switch to a single basket you will get the same volume of espresso but it will not be as strong. So your coffee will taste weaker.

    The great thing about coffee is that we are free to play around with variables. Why dont you try the single basket and see? Its easy enough to change back if you dont like it.

  3. #3
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: A little confused..EM6910

    Quote Originally Posted by 20383D3D283912202C237B7A4D0 link=1254038531/1#1 date=1254038877
    If you switch to a single basket you will get the same volume of espresso but it will not be as strong. So your coffee will taste weaker.

    The great thing about coffee is that we are free to play around with variables. Why dont you try the single basket and see? Its easy enough to change back if you dont like it.


    Note: If you do not change ya grind and tamp... and hit the double button.. It will be Over extracted and taste bitter..

    If y hit the single... and do not change ya Grind and tamp... It may not be a good as you expected ...... But you can play to get it right...

    Quote Originally Posted by 2A3F282A294D0 link=1254038531/0#0 date=1254038531
    I watching the Sunbeam training DVD yet again today and there is something troubling me.

    Firstly i only make Lattes, Cappucinnos and Flat Whites. I understand 25 to 30ml of expresso is classified as a single shot and have the double basket installed. I almost always make two coffees with two x 190ml cups.

    Now if the "double expresso" button is pushed on the EM6910 it is setup to deliver 60mls of expresso (30mls each cup approx.) and the single will pour 30ml (15mls each cup approx.), correct?

    After some taste testing it seems a single shot is plenty for me and my wife so shouldnt i have the single basket installed and pour by using the "double" expresso button? What benefit is there keeping the double basket installed for single shot pouring?

    Learning. learning, learning.
    Is it the taste or the caffeine ? I always use a double and just use teh single button and or watch and pull the short short...

    That way I get a great taste and less caffeine..

    Remember... In most cases Instant has more caffeine and a Strong espresso does not always mean Strong in caffeine...



  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    46

    Re: A little confused..EM6910

    Just the taste.

    I tested some double shots (with the double basket and double button) and measured 28mls of coffee on each side however it happens faster then 25 odd secs yet the pour seems to looks and taste fine.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    979

    Re: A little confused..EM6910

    Try a slightly finer grind, it should result in a richer tasting coffee.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: A little confused..EM6910

    Quote Originally Posted by 2B3336362332192B27287071460 link=1254038531/1#1 date=1254038877
    If you switch to a single basket ... your coffee will taste horrible.
    Fixed that for you ;D

    Most people tend to use the double basket even when making a single shot with the EM6910, and just let half pour from one spout into the drip tray. If you make a double from the single basket, it will be way overextracted.

    By all means give it a bash though :)

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6

    Re: A little confused..EM6910

    Quote Originally Posted by 664B0B0 link=1254038531/5#5 date=1254100521
    with the EM6910, and just let half pour from one spout into the drip tray. *
    No way! *Catch the other half in a glass, put it in the fridge and enjoy a top notch iced coffee later! :)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,520

    Re: A little confused..EM6910

    Quote Originally Posted by 647D555C5442455D300 link=1254038531/6#6 date=1255068266
    Quote Originally Posted by 664B0B0 link=1254038531/5#5 date=1254100521
    with the EM6910, and just let half pour from one spout into the drip tray. *
    No way! *Catch the other half in a glass, put it in the fridge and enjoy a top notch iced coffee later! * :)
    just drink them both !!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    119

    Re: A little confused..EM6910

    OH WOW, drop half a shot into the driptray, take them out and whip them, if you waste it bottle it and ship it to me, i use all i can get for the best iced coffees around, bit of ice and a blender and shazamm iced coffee.

    I usually say until you are sure you know what you are doing put all baskets bar the single floor bouble basket into a draw and forget about them, learn on the double it is more forgiving.

    Make sure you are using fresh coffee

    make sure your grind and tamp are correct

    If you find the double basket running into 2 190ml cups is too strong then cut the shot short, set up a timer above the unit and by process of illimination in 5 second increments find a strength you are happy with, start with a 20 second shot, then try 15 ect ect until u find where the sweet spot is.

    Its like cars everyone has different tastes and thoughts on what is the best, the best is of course the one you like the most, so trial and error is your best friend



Similar Threads

  1. confused, which way to go
    By ammar in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18th October 2011, 05:52 PM
  2. Ok Now Im Confused????
    By Shotgun in forum Roasted Bean Storage
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 21st November 2009, 06:48 PM
  3. [m]: Confused
    By Javaphile in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th June 2007, 12:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •