Thread: Newbie here - over extracting 6910/450

Newbie here - over extracting 6910/450

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    GDay all, I have just discovered this great site and thus made my world into (entry level) coffee making. Ive been making expresso for years but with cheap machines so I have bitten the bullet and bought the sunbeam combo 6910/450 which was all I could afford.

Today was the first real "run" with new beans from Danes and wow, what a difference! It actually looked like expresso and tasted amazingly different. That said, I seem to be over extracting. Now the 450 guide says 12-16 is a good grind for expresso but Im at 20 and its still overdoing it. Obviously its a trial and error thing but Id love some help/suggestions re how I should start improving and or what grinder settings seemed to work for others (so I can work out whatIm doing wrong/right). Actually, any help at all would be good!

A_M

Re: Newbie here - over extracting 6910/450

Quote Originally Posted by 202924314B0 link=1254200235/0#0 date=1254200235
    GDay all, I have just discovered this great site and thus made my world into (entry level) coffee making. *Ive been making expresso for years but with cheap machines so I have bitten the bullet and bought the sunbeam combo 6910/450 which was all I could afford. *

Today was the first real "run" with new beans from Danes and wow, what a difference! *It actually looked like expresso and tasted amazingly different. *That said, I seem to be over extracting. *Now the 450 guide says 12-16 is a good grind for expresso but Im at 20 and its still overdoing it. *Obviously its a trial and error thing but Id love some help/suggestions re how I should start improving and or what grinder settings seemed to work for others (so I can work out whatIm doing wrong/right). * Actually, any help at all would be good! *
    Update ya profile with ya location and then do a search of CS..

You need to select longer than a week; which is teh default...

All will be reviled as this have been covered in both the machine and grinder sections any number of times..

Tamp / Dose level / Beans / Adjusting teh grinder / Washers / Sunbeam sweet spot and 5 cent piece etc etc.

Enjoy you voyage of discovery and be prepared to re learn many things :-)

Welcome to CS...

Oh, you mean the exact same question posted just a few weeks ago? Sorry about that, I did use the search engine but wasnt having any luck, next time Ill just scroll through the pages like a normal person ... :o

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6A636E7B010 link=1254200235/2#2 date=1254210001
    Oh, you mean the exact same question posted just a few weeks ago? *Sorry about that, I did use the search engine but wasnt having any luck, next time Ill just scroll through the pages like a normal person ... :o
    Not word for word..

But in effect the same question has been asked and answered so many times that some of us, tend to give up a little...

Search is good... But you need to learn the best way to use it....

Here is a STICKY that explains it more...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1248646363

For eg do some searching on -

Tamp 6910 / Dose level / Adjusting EM0480 / Adjusting Sunbeam grinder / Washers / Sunbeam sweet spot / 5 cent piece