Thread: need new machine, now

need new machine, now

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, I need urgent help. I need to replace my old Gaggia Cubika as Ive had a gut full of fixing it and spares are impossible to get in brisbane. My budget, sorry, wifes budget is $ 500. Help, what do I get. :P

Caffeine Junky

Re: need new machine, now

If you can get her to stretch it just a tad more Id go for the Nemox Fenice ~$580. You could always try haggling.

Sorry CJ you will have to excuse my ignorance but Ive never heard of them ! ? I have a modded 480 grinder and was just getting consistant results out of the cubikka when the group head seal split , again.

Caffeine Junky

Yeah theyre not that well known in Australia. Made by a company in Italy called Lelit. Other machines that get a regular mention on this site are the Nemox Dell Opera, Lelit Combi, Mokita Combi and Quaha Napoletana II. These are all the same machine under different brand names. The difference between these and the Fenice is that they have a built-in grinder.

All these machines have a 300ml brass boiler and 57mm group. Similar specs and design to the Rancilio Silvia. Built like a tank and will last you much longer than any Sunbean, Breville or Gaggia.

I own a 6 year old Napoletana II which gets used at work to make ~10 cups a day. Never skips a beat and make very creamy textured milk.

I think every machine in Australia under $500 will have pressurised baskets. This is not a big deal as you can always replace them with unpressurised ones. One of the more popular entry level machines used by members is the Breville Ikon. Well within your budget. Just need to get unpressurised double basket. Plenty of money left over for a good tamper, if you dont already have one.

Got the tamper, I bought one on one of my endless journeys around Brisbane trying to find a group head seal for the gaggia. The machine you describe sounds pretty good to me, are they readily availble ? I dont want to have to modify anything strait away, or have to go and buy unpressurized baskets blah blah blah to make a brew. Im still a bit suss on the breville ( probably unjust ) but an Italian machine as you describe for under $ 600 is just what Im looking for.

Caffeine Junky

Unfortunately I dont think any of the sponsors in Brisbane sell the Fenice, it would mean ordering one from Sydney ((no free plug here)).

I noticed from your other thread youre very anxious to get a new machine today. I understand that once youve made a decision to buy something, you want it right away. However if I were you, I would TRY to be patient and make sure you get the machine you need, rather than the one that was available today.

nup, too late. just bought a em6910

oh well..I was just going to add my sister has the Nemox version with the ginder and has had hers for around 6 years without a minutes trouble from it and she is also awfully lazy when it comes to cleaning/servicing her coffee machine so that in my mind says they are a really good machine and likely what I will be upgrading to.

Happy brewing with the 6910!

Quote Originally Posted by 64657272696C6578000 link=1254524221/6#6 date=1254536259
    just bought a em6910
    Good choice derrilex :)

Let me recommend the free Sunbeam barista course. It will help you get the best out of the EM6910.

Its amazing at the buy it now bug but at least you made a good choice with the 6910, it looks good too boot, what kind of grinder are you running with it because this is a major factor all machine, you cant get good coffee with a bad grinder, also sunbeam course is a must plus.

just to make it easier for you take the dual floor baskets and the single basket and pot them in the draw and go about getting consistent shots on the double basket then try the single after you have masterd the double

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7164746967626E636762060 link=1254524221/9#9 date=1254697269
    Its amazing at the buy it now bug but at least you made a good choice with the 6910, it looks good too boot, what kind of grinder are you running with it because this is a major factor all machine, you cant get good coffee with a bad grinder, also sunbeam course is a must plus.

just to make it easier for you take the dual floor baskets and the single basket and pot them in the draw and go about getting consistent shots on the double basket then try the single after you have masterd the double

I would suggest a Forum HIT and RUN and that we will only get a return visit; once they start having issues ;)

Hit and run, me , never. Just been having soooooo much fun with the new toy. I gotta tell you, its awesome. First thing I did was throw the dual floor baskets in the deepest darkest draw I could find. Getting great shots using the same grind as I used for the gaggia, although further modding of my 480 grinder may be needed to keep me " in range " I love been able to steam milk and pull shots at the same time. Im sure I could have got something better but for the money and the fact that I have 5 years warranty, I dont care. This machine is great. ;D

Gotta "run" to work now. Ill "hit" the site later, if thats ok.
    Im upset now, better have a coffee :(

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 323324243F3A332E560 link=1254524221/11#11 date=1254702752
    Hit and run, me , never. Just been having soooooo much fun with the new toy. I gotta tell you, its awesome. First thing I did was throw the dual floor baskets in the deepest darkest draw I could find. Getting great shots using the same grind as I used for the gaggia, although further modding of my 480 grinder may be needed to keep me " in range " I love been able to steam milk and pull shots at the same time. Im sure I could have got something better but for the money and the fact that I have 5 years warranty, I dont care. This machine is great. ;D
    Great to see I was WRONG - Again ;D

If ya treat it correctly and do not OVERDOSE (up dosing is OK), Tamp evenly and perform regular maintenance.. It will last you a long time and provide great coffee..

Treat it harshly and it will fail / play up when you least expect it...

As to 5 years warranty... Only time will tell - if it is USER introduced.

Enjoy ya coffee... Upgraditis is not far away ;D

I guess a MOD needs to move the posts to the next level... No longer SUB $500

Quote Originally Posted by 777661617A7F766B130 link=1254524221/11#11 date=1254702752
    First thing I did was throw the dual floor baskets in the deepest darkest draw I could find
    The next thing you should do is to remove that black plastic floor in the group handle - its just a trap for gunk and other nasties that will ruin your coffee *::)

I took the five year warranty as well just in case *;)

Came home for lunch just to make a coffee (sad isnt it) so Ill get rid of the plastic. ;D

how do you guys get the black plastic out? just with a knife and stuff?

does it make a huge difference to the heat dissipation or anything?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7077414445200 link=1254524221/16#16 date=1254724394
    how do you guys get the black plastic out? just with a knife and stuff?

does it make a huge difference to the heat dissipation or anything?
    Do a search or at least look at the posts in the 500 to 1500 range..

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1222320381/35#35

:-[ wow... i guess i need to refine how i search in the search dialogue...

thanks...

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3136000504610 link=1254524221/18#18 date=1254732752
    :-[ wow... i guess i need to refine how i search in the search dialogue...

thanks...
    Searching is always an issue unless you understand the meta data / words you using and how the search engine works..

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1248646363

It had me a little bit stumped for a minute or two then I undid the spout and presto, its held in with a bayonet fitting. Bit of a squeeze and push and out she came.

Does anyone use the pressure gauge as a reference or go only on shot quality ?

Oh, I forgot to ask, whats the difference between overdosing and up dosing ?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 65647373686D6479010 link=1254524221/20#20 date=1254734440
    It had me a little bit stumped for a minute or two then I undid the spout and presto, its held in with a bayonet fitting. Bit of a squeeze and push and out she came.

As every one will read different it is more of a self check...

Search and look for SB sweet spot...

Quote Originally Posted by 65647373686D6479010 link=1254524221/21#21 date=1254734574
    Oh, I forgot to ask, whats the difference between overdosing and up dosing ?
    Up dosing is about adding that little extra... 5 cent test - Search and you will learn more..

Over dosing is where you not only put extra coffee in... But after tamping it is still overloaded... Then when ya lock teh group in it is hard... WHAT cause in effect the shower head is tamped hard on teh puck... When water hits it.. The coffee wants to expand and even more pressure is generated..

OUTCOME = Stuffed Collar and crap coffee... But many still persist...

Fresh beans and a good grinder will allow you to get a top shot from teh EM6910... Without stuffing teh unit or you having to go to the Gym to be able to tamp..

It is about style and methods - NOT BRUTE FORCE..

Cool. I think Ive got my dosing pretty close. I can see a faint imprint on the used puck. I should do the five cent piece test aswell though. My pressure gauge is pretty much the same every time on the upper edge of the darker brown section ( on the limit for good espresso) :)

Quote Originally Posted by 58594E4E555059443C0 link=1254524221/20#20 date=1254734440
    When you do the course they will tell you basically to ignore the gauge.

The keys to good shots *are:
    Fresh beans
    Correct grind
    Proper dosing (3mm below top of basket after tamping)
    Consistent tamping
    Run the brew without the handle for 5 secs to stabilize temp
    IMMEDIATELY insert handle and manually pull shot
    Stop the shot as soon as blonding appears.

All going well so far, except, with the single basket my group head seal leaks, yet with the double its fine ??? I dont think im overdosing as there is only the faintest screen pattern on the puck. :o

dont bother with the single, most just use a double and pour the 30 odd mills from that.

you will find the double much more forgiving in normal use......

uses a bit more coffee, but most likely saves you "sinking" lots of shots

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6569606D6D64080 link=1254524221/26#26 date=1254811727
    dont bother with the single, most just use a double and pour the 30 odd mills from that.

you will find the double much more forgiving in normal use......

uses a bit more coffee, but most likely saves you "sinking" lots of shots *
    The single is good for Bonsai

scrapped the single. did the 5 cent test and the finished level in the basket to get a light indent is about 5mm below the top. Result was a crap shot and no mark from the shower screen ? up the dose to about 3mm below the rim and Im getting a faint mark from the shower screen and a half decent shot. I dont know why the 5 cent test gave me such a poor result. :-?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 303126263D38312C540 link=1254524222/28#28 date=1254820859
    scrapped the single. did the 5 cent test and the finished level in the basket to get a light indent is about 5mm below the top. Result was a crap shot and no mark from the shower screen ? up the dose to about 3mm below the rim and Im getting a faint mark from the shower screen and a half decent shot. I dont know why the 5 cent test gave me such a poor result. *:-?
    Grind size and Tamp.... *That is teh key..

If ya go too full, the the expansion adds too much compression on teh beans and stuffs teh collar..

You get teh compression by TAMPING and Adjusting teh grind size..

The end result should be a light to firm indent on the shower screen...

If ya got a heavy indent etc than OVERDOSING and when the grinds expand they do not have enough room... Will also contribute to channelling and other issues..

Nothing in life that is good; is simple... That why I take A cement pill every morning --- *To harden up and except the things I get worong *(Speeling Police - Go for it) :D

just did the sweet spot test. Put the double dual floor basket in, empty and let it run on manual for a while and got to about 11. Put my usual dose/grind/tamp in a pulled a shot a got 11 again, so I assume that 11 is this machines sweet spot ? Does this then mean I should be aiming to get good shots with the gauge at 11 ? or do whatever it takes to get the right shot

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5A5B4C4C57525B463E0 link=1254524222/30#30 date=1254821667
    just did the sweet spot test. Put the double dual floor basket in, empty and let it run on manual for a while and got to about 11. *Put my usual dose/grind/tamp in a pulled a shot a got 11 again, so I assume that 11 is this machines sweet spot ? Does this then mean I should be aiming to get good shots with the gauge at 11 ? or do whatever it takes to get the right shot
    In general I have found on the 4 or 5 units that I have used / owned and services that the best; is a bit higher...

For yours say about 12:00 to *12:00 and a bit... *It is an INDICATOR.

While you could push it into teh RED etc and get a good shot - Your pushing the machine to its limits... Thus something will give...

Like as if you get in ya car and DRIVE it at TOP speed... It wont last for long..

So ya work out you Grind / Tamp and get a repeatable gauge reading, and the machine is *not busting at the seams to produce... *And teh cup is great... * Then you have a benchmark... *;D :o 8-)

If the gauge changes by a lot = Tamp / Grind and or Beans etc have changed... *It is a heads up NOT nothing more...

So where are you located - Update ya Profile...

profile updated. Im in Brissy.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 535245455E5B524F370 link=1254524222/32#32 date=1254825449
    profile updated. Im in Brissy.
    Ok... I am on teh Good side :-)

The north side.. So at some stage there is always teh option of a ONE on ONE and dont forget the Brisbane Meet up ...

Also on teh NORTH side... *:D

Post code 4030 ;D :D ::) :-X

you got running water up there yet ? I had a laugh ;D ;D Im inner west, just across the river from indooroopilly.