Thread: EM6910 to Oscar?

EM6910 to Oscar?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

Im watching an auction on trademe at the moment on a Nuova Simonelli Oscar, waiting to see if the price is fair

Is this a reasonable swap out of my 6910 (step up, step backwards or sideways?)

My 6910 is about 2 years old now and has not given me any grief (a few blown seals, but nothing heart stopping), but equally I am wary of the potential limited lifetime of the machine.

With a quite high RRP on 6910s currently ($999) they are getting reasonable money on trademe at the moment, so the timing seems good.

I dont think I have used the water wand on my 6910, so the lack of one is not a concern.

From the youtube vids I have watched, the Oscar seems to have goood steaming power.

Just looking for some opinions

cheers

Sen

Re: EM6910 to Oscar?

Id definitely call it a step up Senator: you would be in HX territory. From what Ive seen, Oscars are excellent value for money and likely to last longer than the Sunbeam. Definitely more suited to milk-based coffee drinkers but as Oscar owners point out, if they need hot water they can use the kettle. Another problem is that they dont have a pressurestat so you cant put them on a timer to pre-heat. I dont know how long they take to warm up.

Do you know how old the machine is or why the owner is selling? You wouldnt want to pay more than a grand ($NZ) I reckon unless it is new or near-new condition. Think about repairs and parts as well. Is there a service agent for NS in Christchurch. A couple of CS sponors sell parts for the Oscar I believe.

a grand for the 6910 wowsers, im glad i dont live across the pond, though i did notice the exchange rate the other day no wonder so many NZers call Australia home, we got the space for you all if you like, i have found most of you know how to work hard, unlike some Auzzies i know, neway off the topic, back on it now.

getting into HX territory is somewhere i belive everyone wants to get to at some time but most of us dont have the money so if it seems fair make the leap,

I do belive someone once said that the world wouldnt be what it is if people didnt take risks, at the end of the day you cant take your money with you so you may as well use it to make you happy.

and i belive a machine of the Oscars abililty could make most CSers happy

Caffeine Junky

Ive noticed there doesnt seem to be many CSers who own, or have owned Oscars. I dont think this is a reflection on the quality of the machine, its just most of us prefer a little more bling.

I dont know if youd notice a big difference in the cup compared to a EM6910 but I too would assume greater longevity from the Oscar. As with any second hand machine, make sure you ask the right questions before buying.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5F5E5447595C46350 link=1255035118/3#3 date=1255142756
    Ive noticed there doesnt seem to be many CSers who own, or have owned Oscars. I dont think this is a reflection on the quality of the machine, its just most of us prefer a little more bling.

I dont know if youd notice a big difference in the cup compared to a EM6910 but I too would assume greater longevity from the Oscar. *As with any second hand machine, make sure you ask the right questions before buying.
    I remember speaking with Craig from Veneziano. He said that they used to have a tendency to cook cases. Hopefully those problems have been overcome...

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 752A32242F2428212122222A2629470 link=1255035118/4#4 date=1255147809
    Quote Originally Posted by 5F5E5447595C46350 link=1255035118/3#3 date=1255142756

I dont know if youd notice a big difference in the cup compared to a EM6910 but I too would assume greater longevity from the Oscar. *As with any second hand machine, make sure you ask the right questions before buying.
    I remember speaking with Craig from Veneziano. He said that they used to have a tendency to cook cases. Hopefully those problems have been overcome...
    Have seen one or two around... I thought Di had one ??

As I understand it... *If you mean teh shell as in teh case... *Then some one did say that like many heating systems, you need to leave some space and for home use it was not a problem... *If you dont leave on ALL DAY and NIGHT..

It was going to be my next step up from the EM6910... But *CosmoreX Coffee corrupted me * 8-) *oh so *8-)

Hi Sen,

we bought an Oscar new from Veneziano when Luca was still there, about 18 months ago.

There arent that many owners here on CS, maybe due to the black casing rather than the stainless bling. However we are VERY happy with Oscar, producing great espresso and plenty of latte when we entertain a group. :) It is perfect for our purposes, but Flynn_Aus comments are spot on - horses for courses, but Oscar is fantastic bang for $ in terms of shot quality and a definite step up from the 6910.

Needing to wait 20 or so minutes for the boiler to heat up is a small price to pay for what meets our needs so well.

We have had no issues with the casing, but we do have the unit in a well ventilated spot on a kitchen bench.

Good luck bidding (after checking out its history). ;)

No - I was seriously looking at buying one and did a lot of research, but then Chris came at me with an offer I couldnt afford on teh (sic) Maver.

Absolutely no regrets about it at all - I would have loved the Oscar had I bought it, but Im now very much in love with my Maver: the bling ended up winning me over in the end and Im still hopelessly in love with its looks, style and capability after 5 months (unlike my husband ;) Just joking Pete!)

Cheers
    Di

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5B7C6A7860130 link=1255035118/7#7 date=1256857580
    No - I was seriously looking at buying one and did a lot of research, but then Chris came at me with an offer I couldnt afford on teh (sic) Maver.

Absolutely no regrets about it at all - I would have loved the Oscar had I bought it, but Im now very much in love with my Maver: the bling ended up winning me over in the end and Im still hopelessly in love with its looks, style and capability after 5 months (unlike my husb and *;) Just joking Pete!)

Cheers
    Di

That is an AM type comment... But a Freudian slip and we know what ya are realy saying.... ;D

I mean... What about this post...

Quote Originally Posted by 012630223A490 link=1256297168/11#11 date=1256853603
    Hey, Id visit just to cast my eyes on Sun, the Chef...how gorgeous is he!!! :D ([s]Not that [/s]Im a 40 year old lecherous female, [s]or anything![/s])

Congratulations Pat - it looks wonderful. Like Luwaks, its a shame Im not closer.

Cheers
    Di

Rats, caught out, once again!!!

Ah well, one of my favourite mottos in life is:-

You can read the menu all you like, you just cant order!

8-)

The problem is that, now Im getting older and Ive gotton to the stage where Im wearing reading glasses, reading the menu is getting harder and harder to do - so I figure I just have to look longer and closer up!!!

;D

Well, thats my excuse and Im sticking to it!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6E495F4D55260 link=1255035118/9#9 date=1256861292
    Rats, caught out, once again!!!

Ah well, one of my favourite mottos in life is:-

You can read the menu all you like, you just cant order!

8-)

The problem is that, now Im getting older and Ive gotton to the stage where Im wearing reading glasses, reading the menu is getting harder and harder to do - so I figure I just have to look longer and closer up!!!

;D

Well, thats my excuse and Im sticking to it!
    I am looking forwards to being classified leagly blind...

That means BRAIL - Thus I have an excuse to go touching *;D

Opps off topic... *Sorry

(New here, but I thought Id put my $1.50s worth in..!)

Ive had my Oscar now fro about 9 months and have not regretted getting it. My upgrade choices at the time were the EM6910, Silvia or Oscar. I eventually settled on the Oscar because I felt it gave the most bang for the buck.

Others have commented on the pros and cons, but a couple of other points come to mind.

I bought mine from the Aucland NS distributor, who fit vacuum breakers to the Oscars they sell, and I use mine with a timer so that it is nice and hot for the morning fix. *So its possible that a second hand machine in NZ may have one fitted depending on who supplied it.

Also, bear in mind that the Oscar has very very powerful steam. They replaced the standard tip with a smaller 4-hole one when I bought it, and while it still took some getting used to (particularly after using a Cafe Roma), it is much more manageable. I would recommend getting a smaller tip if it has the factory one fitted.

The lack of bling doesnt bother me, mines silver and still looks quite nice, but I suspect that once you get to that price level many folk want a gleaming stainless job.

I dont think you would regred getting the Oscar, and it is definately a step up from the 6910 in quality and performance. I find it flexible enough to handle everything from my morning cappa to satisfying a whole group of guests. I get good, consistent shots *- well as consistent as my technique is!!

QUOTE I am looking forwards to being classified leagly blind...QUOTE

AM you know you are getting close when the Optometrist states that the reading glasses are not ideal but it is as close as they can get - and you still cant read clearly :(

But dont worry I can still drive [smiley=evil.gif]

Congrats on the Oscar