Thread: em6910 pump pulsing

em6910 pump pulsing

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone

Been enjoying my machine lately until just yesterday i noticed that the pressure gauge showed massive sequential drops and rises when extracting a shot. This has happened a few times since seemingly at random. It results in minimal oily extractions and i generally just cut the shot once i hear the sound of the pump going and then fading then going then fading....

Anyone else experienced this? Should i be taking it to a repaur centre? its just 7 weeks old!!

Boots

A_M

Re: em6910 pump pulsing

Quote Originally Posted by 676A6A7176050 link=1255049083/0#0 date=1255049083
    Hi everyone

Been enjoying my machine lately until just yesterday i noticed that the pressure gauge showed massive sequential drops and rises when extracting a shot. This has happened a few times since seemingly at random. It results in minimal oily extractions and i generally just cut the shot once i hear the sound of the pump going and then fading then going then fading....

Anyone else experienced this? Should i be taking it to a repaur centre? its just 7 weeks old!!
    Tamp / dose / Grind / Dirty / Split seal /

If ya been OVERDOSING and a bit heavy on locking the system in.. *Ya could be causing a problem.. * And it sounds like it...

Fine grinds can get in the system.. So do a clean and remove and check out the seal..

You are using teh single floor baskets with fresh beans and using a top quality grinder...

Are you not ?

More sounds like your grind was a bit fine and / or underdosed.

Mine does that when I grind finer and have less coffee in the filter basket.

Coarsen the grind a bit, dose / tamp so that roughly 1/2 the metal from the SB tamper is above the rim of the basket (3mm from the top).

Unless its spitting water / coffee out of the top of the portafilter (over the outside) then it is unlikely to be the seal.

As AM said above, you are using the normal basket (not the dual floor one) and your own freshly roasted / ground beans?

More often than not, these issues are user related not hardware

Sen

I agree that it sounds like too fine a grind.

With my 6900 at home i find that alittle tlc goes along way and a good clean and descale works wonders, now with just alittle more info on your behalf we should be able to nail down the areas that might be going wrong for you, AM is a true sunbeam bible, so i usually treat his opinion in high regard,

have you done the free SB training course because this can help you work out the little kinks

Let us know the finer points of your coffee making and we will give you as much help as we can

dont give up on this machine, when refined it makes a great cup of joe

Hey everyone

Thanks for the input. I think it comes down to the grind for me. Im teetering on the edge of too fine with a bit too much tamp pressure. Ive knocked the grind back on my Granmacinino 1 step and it seems to resolve the issue. Ive also increased the dose a tad to compensate and it seems to have solved the problem.

When using a doserless grinder, have you guys found a way to keep your dose consistent and repeatable? Also, any tips on tamp pressure.

Cheers
    Boots

beans

Sounds like youre getting the hang of it pretty well. Its great to feel your way around your equipment.
    When tamping and dosing, try and keep those two as constant as you can, that way when your extraction doesnt seem right, you can put it down to only a few variables.
    Your tamp pressure can vary depending on what you want out of the coffee, but to keep things standard you can apply say 15kgs of pressure. I usually dose the same amount each time but sometimes I want to "honey drip" the extraction and tamp a bit harder/dose a bit more. This restricts the extraction giving a much tastier shot depending on the coffee. But dont burn it!
    With a doserless, try knocking the loose coffee into the basket as its dosing. Heap it slightly (1/2 - 1cm above the rim) then tamp it. This will ensure you dont waste too much.
    Let me know how you go! ;)