Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 70

Thread: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

    Ive read heaps of posts here and I really want to convert to making espressos and milk based drinks like lattes at home but Im going around in circles. *Currently drinking plunger coffee occasionally (just about to buy some fresh coffee because Ive always wondered why the supermarkets stuff was bad and after learning about it, I now know why!) and drinking instant so I need saved. *Im spending too much at the coffee shops when Im out...

    My neighbour has a Saeco Magic Deluxe and I nearly bought one of them pre-loved for $380 but after a bit of reading I think I would be limiting my enjoyment of making coffee at home.

    Now, Im an impatient bugger by nature but Ive restrained myself which is quiet amazing. *I was nearly about to buy a Sunbeam 6910 with free grinder for $699 but it just didnt feel right because I have so many doubts about how long it will last and Im from Scotland and hate wasting money. *Yes there are people with success stories about the 6910 but there are plenty with dramas, returns and grinder issues and I dont need the hassle. *So I was hoping some helpful folk on here could help me with my first espresso machine and grinder purchase.

    I have a budget of about the $700 mark for a grinder and espresso machine. *Having something that a noob can learn on will be useful.

    Also Im on the Sunshine Coast and Popping over to Pioneer Coast Roastery at the weekend to buy some "proper" coffee for my plunger and to check out the place.

    Thanks in advance for all your help. :)

  2. #2
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Hi Lacehim and welcome to the forum. As far as Im concerned there is only one machine you should consider:

    http://talkcoffee.com.au/equipment/coffee-machine-lelit-combi.php
    http://www.cuppacoffee.com.au/collections/frontpage/products/lelit-coffee-machine

    The same machine is also currently sold as the Nemox Del Opera and has previously been sold as the Quaha Napoletana II and the Imat Mokita Combi. They are all made in the same factory by Lelit.

    Its more like $850 but its really worth stretching your budget a little more. I own one of these as well as an EM6910. Id definitely go for the Italian.




  3. #3
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 735E5C5A5756523F0 link=1255089893/0#0 date=1255089893
    Hi,

    Ive read heaps of posts here and I really want to convert to making espressos and milk based drinks like lattes at home but Im going around in circles. *Currently drinking plunger coffee occasionally (just about to buy some fresh coffee because Ive always wondered why the supermarkets stuff was bad and after learning about it, I now know why!) and drinking instant so I need saved. *Im spending too much at the coffee shops when Im out...

    My neighbour has a Saeco Magic Deluxe and I nearly bought one of them pre-loved for $380 but after a bit of reading I think I would be limiting my enjoyment of making coffee at home.

    Now, Im an impatient bugger by nature but Ive restrained myself which is quiet amazing. *I was nearly about to buy a Sunbeam 6910 with free grinder for $699 but it just didnt feel right because I have so many doubts about how long it will last and Im from Scotland and hate wasting money. *
    So ya think that coming here will take the nail out of ya foot ?? *Whel if ya have a partner... They will put a nail in teh other foot; when they become a Coffee divorcee *;D

    OH... *WELCOME to CS *;D

    You will not stop spending money on coffee; but it will be of better quality and savings can be had.. ( Until - Upgraditius TIME)


    The Saeco Magic Deluxe would have been more than a lack of involvement, it would also cost ya lots extra for little improvement over instant *:o

    Look the SB is not a bad unit... I actually like the unit.. Like it a lot actually... *:-* However it is a little soft in some sections and thus when teh Coffee NUBE who has read Choice and the local rag; thinks they are a hot shot BARISTA... *They will and do shorten the life of the said unit.. *::) :o

    From Scotland and hate wasting $$$ *I understood ya to be all tight fisted and that ya have to use a can opener, to get even a penny from ya fist *:D ;D :o 8-)

    Every one tryes to go cheep and then after ya first upgrade... Ya realise ya lost $$$ and time...

    Many will push you at any number of units... And most will be great and do the work.... But trust me teh GRINDER, will be the first to let ya down and in general; any thing less that a rocky will see you upgrading sooner rather than later...

    The roaster ya going to see may even be able to offer contacts...

    But contact a Sponsor or two... AND as stated above... For the $$$ and the tight fists involved; these all in one units are NOT bad... *Will outlast the SB and many other units that cost half again... *Further more, teh grinder is reasonable and well matched...

    Yes ... *When ya go to upgrade, you will be up for TWO items... But by then you will know what you want and would have saved some pennies and be able to get what you WANT....

    OH... *Welcome to CS..

    PS. *Why the long reply... * Ya gave me some good info, set the background and indicated where ya want to go.. *In addition some tight fisted people gave my wife and I a great time when we were over that way...

  4. #4
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 71707A697772681B0 link=1255089893/1#1 date=1255091448
    I own one of these as well as an EM6910.Id definitely go for the Italian.
    You wont get a more informed reply.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    108

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Well from a 6900 owner i cant go past it, ease of use quick heat up time, but then again there are alot of machines out there to pick from, if ur budget it tight at the 700 mark and wont go no further then i believe the 6910 is the way to go, if you can stretch it alittle then a rocky grinder is a great place to start, a friend recently bought a rocky grinder and a stove top and is saving for the espresso machine, and his coffee is quite nice, so maybe it could be worth while to spend alittle more on the grinder and wait a short while for the machine, lots of different opinions here you shall find

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Thanks for the good advice so far. I went to Pioneer Coffee Roastery in Yandina today and had a coffee which was very nice and I bought some coffee for the plunger, Rainforest Blend I think. I also bought a magazine "Home Coffee Machine Review 2nd Edition" which has loads of info in it about coffee, and some espresso machine reviews but they are all good reviews so it doesnt help me out any.

    Off to check out a few machine websites and some sponsers.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Still undecided and I wouldnt mind going to a few places to try out the machines. Does anyone know of a shop on the Sunshine Coast, or even Brisbane North? Im struggling to find places and Im avoiding the HN stores because they dont know a thing about their products.

    At the moment the Lelit Combi was winning but I have concerns. Will the beans be okay left in the machine? I read somewhere that the heat generated by the machine will make then go stale quicker. Also whats the support like for the machine, spares etc. Will they be available in x years down the track when I need them (maybe).

    I never thought buying an espresso machine would be this difficult. :o At least Im learning about it all as I research the machines.

  8. #8
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 6F4240464B4A4E230 link=1255089893/6#6 date=1255388698
    At the moment the Lelit Combi was winning but I have concerns. Will the beans be okay left in the machine? I read somewhere that the heat generated by the machine will make then go stale quicker. Also whats the support like for the machine, spares etc.
    Good questions, Iíll attempt to answer as best I can.

    With regards to heat in the bean hopper of the Lelit, I can honestly say that the temperature in the hopper seems to be the same as ambient room temp. So far I have only tested this buy putting my hand in the hopper (not very scientific). I plan on buying a thermocouple soon (for roasting purposes) and promise to do this test, as itís a question thatís been raised about this machine before but never answered as far as I know.

    I would say the fluctuations in room temperature over a typical day would be greater than any temperature increases in the hopper.

    With any grinder, built-in or stand alone, you shouldnít really leave the beans in the hopper for any long periods of time. At home, I leave the beans in the hopper during the weekend as I know theyíre going to get used. During the week though, I only make one coffee in the morning so empty the hopper back into a vacuum container after finishing.

    One downside of my Napoletana (and Iím assuming the Lelit is the same) is that you canít empty the beans out of the hopper. Your only option is to try and scoop as many out as you can with your hands, but you canít get them all due to the hopperís shape. If you lift the hopper out, any remaining beans fall into the machine. I personally consider this a fairly minor inconvenience; the more you read the more youíll realise that EVERY machine has its flaws.

    With regards to support and spares, thatís a question probably best answered by one of the sponsors. I can say that itís a machine thatís been made by Lelit for many years (under many different names) with minor variations. I donít believe spare parts would be any issue. If you do buy the machine I would recommend purchasing a spare group seal and shower screen. These are considered Ďconsumablesí that need to be changed eventually.

    The Lelit has a very traditional and simple design. Any competent espresso machine technician should not have an issue performing repairs. Sponsors such as Talk Coffee have a wide network of repair agents should a problem occur.

  9. #9
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 393832213F3A20530 link=1255089893/7#7 date=1255390333
    Quote Originally Posted by 6F4240464B4A4E230 link=1255089893/6#6 date=1255388698
    At the moment the Lelit Combi was winning but I have concerns. *Will the beans be okay left in the machine? *I read somewhere that the heat generated by the machine will make then go stale quicker. *Also whats the support like for the machine, spares etc.
    Good questions, Iíll attempt to answer as best I can.

    With regards to heat in the bean hopper of the Lelit, I can honestly say that the temperature in the hopper seems to be the same as ambient room temp. *So far I have only tested this buy putting my hand in the hopper (not very scientific). I plan on buying a thermocouple soon (for roasting purposes) and promise to do this test, as itís a question thatís been raised about this machine before but never answered as far as I know.

    I would say the fluctuations in room temperature over a typical day would be greater than any temperature increases in the hopper. *

    With any grinder, built-in or stand alone, you shouldnít really leave the beans in the hopper for any long periods of time. *At home, I leave the beans in the hopper during the weekend as I know theyíre going to get used. *During the week though, I only make one coffee in the morning so empty the hopper back into a vacuum container after finishing.

    One downside of my Napoletana (and Iím assuming the Lelit is the same) is that you canít empty the beans out of the hopper. *Your only option is to try and scoop as many out as you can with your hands, but you canít get them all due to the hopperís shape. *If you lift the hopper out, any remaining beans fall into the machine. *I personally consider this a fairly minor inconvenience; the more you read the more youíll realise that EVERY machine has its flaws.

    With regards to support and spares, thatís a question probably best answered by one of the sponsors. *I can say that itís a machine thatís been made by Lelit for many years (under many different names) with minor variations. *I donít believe spare parts would be any issue. *If you do buy the machine I would recommend purchasing a spare group seal and shower screen. *These are considered Ďconsumablesí that need to be changed eventually. *

    The Lelit has a very traditional and simple design. *Any competent espresso machine technician should not have an issue performing repairs. *Sponsors such as Talk Coffee have a wide network of repair agents should a problem occur. *
    You should never leave beans in teh grinder - Full stop.. Thus if you add the right amount... Not a problem.. Most do teh same with their stand alone grinders any way.

    Support - SEE SPONSOR... If ya buy elseware - YOUR Problem :-)

  10. #10
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 527D7476615E727D7274767E767D67130 link=1255089893/8#8 date=1255399384
    You should never leave beans in teh grinder - Full stop..
    Only if youre obsessive compulsive - and thats a disorder. ;D


  11. #11
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 1F3E353532285B0 link=1255089893/9#9 date=1255400361
    Quote Originally Posted by 527D7476615E727D7274767E767D67130 link=1255089893/8#8 date=1255399384
    You should never leave beans in teh grinder - Full stop..
    Only if youre obsessive compulsive - and thats a disorder. *;D
    giggled like a schoolgirl... Took a min before I looked at ya profile ;D

    I dont leave beans in teh grinder - cause if I do I have to grind to make a coffee... Got nothing to do with beans going stale :D ;)

    Unless ya a Monday to Friday cafe and you top up ALL ya 2 KG hoppers every night so that ya ready to go in the morning.. Bugger of a coffee first up Monday ;D

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Are there any sponsers in SE QLD on this site? All the ones Ive looked at are Melbourne & Sydney. They dont have to sell the Lelit just have some machines that I can see, maybe test out, get some advice and maybe even buy one.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,520

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder


    here
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163931729

    and here
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163934198

  14. #14
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 173A383E3332365B0 link=1255089893/11#11 date=1255408379
    Are there any sponsers in SE QLD on this site? *All the ones Ive looked at are Melbourne & Sydney. *They dont have to sell the Lelit just have some machines that I can see, maybe test out, get some advice and maybe even buy one.
    <<<<< It took just a couple of minutes to check over yonder ::)

    QLD sponsors: Barazi, Gilkatho, Go Barista, Supreme Roasters, Veneziano, Pioneer Coffee, QCMS...

    Wasnt that hard after all *:-?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Thanks for the help but I did have a good look though, but I just cant find any that sell a manual type in my budget. I might try the yellowpages or have a long think about the Lelit. I would just have preferred to buy a machine local so that I can get local support and maybe some training with it seeing as Im new to all this.

    I just cant justify a $2000 to the wife when I havent even made an espresso before + shes a tea lover at heart.

    FYI I did visit Pioneer @ Yandina but didnt see much in the way of domestic machines for sale.

  16. #16
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 7B5654525F5E5A370 link=1255089893/14#14 date=1255413308
    Thanks for the help but I did have a good look though, but I just cant find any that sell a manual type in my budget. *I might try the yellowpages or have a long think about the Lelit. *I would just have preferred to buy a machine local so that I can get local support and maybe some training with it seeing as Im new to all this.

    I just cant justify a $2000 to the wife when I havent even made an espresso before + shes a tea lover at heart.

    FYI I did visit Pioneer @ Yandina but didnt see much in the way of domestic machines for sale.
    A good quality machine can be had for less than $2K..

    Sponsors have lots of support networks... Dont be fooled by a local seller... They do not always have what you think and often send away for service etc...

    The Lelit will see you up and running with a grinder etc and producing good coffee in no time... A EM6910 will need a Grinder.. A Silvia is good, but you will need a grinder and then a PID...

    Contact the sponsors and be open as to the TOTAL costs and PRE LOVED ******* * Every one deserves a second chance...

    My was pre loved and now is the Number ONE...



  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    How much of a difference does the 57mm portafilter make compared to the 58mm of the Silivia??

  18. #18
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 292A2823262A25254B0 link=1255089893/16#16 date=1255649640
    How much of a difference does the 57mm portafilter make compared to the 58mm of the Silivia??
    I would not be concerned at about the 1mm size difference between the Lelit & the Silvia. There are so many other potential variables that would make a much bigger difference to the end result.

    The Lelit is on itís own in this price bracket. I own one and I also own an EM6910.
    The Lelit gets used every day; the Sunbeam is sitting in the shed as a back up. I think that says it all really.




  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Caffeine Junky, I spoke to Chris at Talk Coffee and he told me the downsides to the Lelit. One was the 57mm group and the other thing he mentioned was something about having to manually refill the boiler so that the element doesnt get stuffed (he specifically mentioned that the silvia didnt require it, maybe he was trying to sell me one of those instead?).

    Is this a good machine to start out? Im up on the Sunshine Coast Qld and Ive never owned or made and espresso!

    I also considered going to a department store to check out the Gaggia (sp?) machines. Are they any good? I would really just love to have a go on a couple and get some training. Its a pity there arent more sponsers up here in SE Qld with machines in my budget. :(

    Also I would like to buy a starter kit, can anyone advise what to I will need to start out?

  20. #20
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 082527212C2D29440 link=1255089893/18#18 date=1255652592
    Caffeine Junky, I spoke to Chris at Talk Coffee and he told me the downsides to the Lelit. *One was the 57mm group and the other thing he mentioned was something about having to manually refill the boiler so that the element doesnt get stuffed (he specifically mentioned that the silvia didnt require it, maybe he was trying to sell me one of those instead?).

    Is this a good machine to start out? *Im up on the Sunshine Coast Qld and Ive never owned or made and espresso!

    I also considered going to a department store to check out the Gaggia (sp?) machines. *Are they any good? *I would really just love to have a go on a couple and get some training. *Its a pity there arent more sponsers up here in SE Qld with machines in my budget. :(

    Also I would like to buy a starter kit, can anyone advise what to I will need to start out?
    Itís a shame youíre not in Adelaide, Iíd be more than happy for you to come and have a go on any of my 3 machines.

    Yes Chris is correct in that you have to manually fill the boiler after steaming milk on the Lelit. *Itís a very simple process Ė flick and switch and turn on the steam knob until water comes out. *Takes a few seconds and just becomes something you do without thinking after a while. *I donít find it tiresome or frustrating even though I donít need to do that on my Giotto at home.

    The types of machines you may want to consider if youíre going to the department stores or major retailers are:

    Gaggia Classic
    58mm basket. Aluminium boiler which have a limited life span especially if youíre not careful with the water quality you use.

    Saeco Via Venezia
    Has a pressurised group handle which can very easily be converted to unpressurised.

    Sunbeam EM6910
    During this month you can get one with a free EM0480 grinder (worth ~$200). *With a bit of shopping around/haggling you can probably find one for around $700. *Has 2 thermoblocks so you can steam/brew at the same time. Only machine in this price range that can do that. *

    Breville Fresca
    Built-in grinder, similar in concept to the Lelit. *Has a 2 year warranty.

    Other than the machine and grinder you will also need the following:

    Tamper ($25 - $130)
    All machines, even the most expensive ones come with a crappy plastic tamper. *The Sunbeam & Breville ones are probably usable but eventually youíll want to upgrade. *It can definitely make a big difference to whatís in the cup.

    Grinds bin
    Itís very annoying trying to empty your filter basket without one. *Something like a Grindstein for ~$30 will do the job. *

    Cleaning Products
    These will depend on which machine you get. *I believe with Sunbeam you can void your warranty by not using their specified products.

    Milk Jug and Thermometer ($30)

    Those are the basics I guess although Im sure Ive left something out. *There are plenty of other things coffee snobs can and do spend their money on.

  21. #21
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    There are a few other options you may want to consider:

    1. Buy yourself a decent grinder e.g. a Rocky for ~$450. Keep drinking (better quality) plunger coffee until you can afford a nice machine.

    2. Buy yourself a decent grinder and a stove top coffee maker such as this one
    http://www.coffeecraft.com.au/itemdetailspage/5123
    I canít say Iíve used something like this but theyíre apparently built very well and can be taken away camping too.

    3. Buy second hand, ideally from a CS member. Keep an eye on the Coffee Hardware for Sale section, or you could put up a wanted ad there.

    I know itís difficult to convince people to consider other options once theyíve decided to buy themselves an espresso machine. Just keep in mind that spending $700 on an espresso machine is not going to guarantee you good quality coffee. Without a reasonable quality grinder youíre never going to get the best out of your equipment.

    Good coffee is all about using freshly roasted, good quality beans and preparing your brew with attention and passion. Espresso is just one of several ways to enjoy coffee so donít restrict yourself.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Im going to take your advise and buy a decent grinder first (probably something like a Rocky), then wait patiently for a pre-loved silvia or similar to appear in the forsale ads here or ebay or classifieds.

    Just a quick Q with the Rocky, can the grinder do a grind for plunger or is it espresso only? Ive seen a new one in the FS section for sale.

    Also are there better ways to enjoy coffee rather than plunger? The coffee is okay but it always has a residue from the coffee in the cup.

    Thanks for all your help. Its been very informative.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,520

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    what about http://pressoaustralia.com/ ?
    or stove top / moka pot
    or syphon
    or ???

    yes rocky can do it all, very capable little grinder

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    466

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 765B595F5253573A0 link=1255089893/18#18 date=1255652592
    One was the 57mm group and the other thing he mentioned was something about having to manually refill the boiler so that the element doesnt get stuffed (he specifically mentioned that the silvia didnt require it, maybe he was trying to sell me one of those instead?).
    Umm... The silvia definitely requires you to manually refill the boiler.

  25. #25
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 406D6F696465610C0 link=1255089893/21#21 date=1255943765
    Also are there better ways to enjoy coffee rather than plunger?The coffee is okay but it always has a residue from the coffee in the cup.
    An Aeropress will solve the sediment problem.
    Ask Cuppacoffee if he has new stock in yet.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,520

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    ooooooooohhh aeropress forgot about that :)

    all i want for xmas is an aeropress....lalalala and a hand grinder, and a... and a ... :)


    thanks TG will tell the wife I had a laugh :)

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Thanks, I will check them out. Might order one of the above to play around with.

    I knew about the manual refil on the Silvia but the lelit that I was considering was manual refit anyway. I nearly bought the Lelit but just thought I would have a good look around first.

    Any other machines I should keep an eye out for preloved?

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Can anyone tell me if a 2 year old Bezzera Domus Galatea would be any good?

  29. #29
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 1F3230363B3A3E530 link=1255089893/27#27 date=1256024954
    Can anyone tell me if a 2 year old Bezzera Domus Galatea would be any good?
    All depends on how it has been previously treated and the $$$


    Its like asking if a 2 year old Prado would be any good ?


  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    No its not AM! A brand new prado isnt any good let alone a two year old one ;D

    jokes mate ;)

    Youd wanna give the machine a serious going over,ultimately take it to a sponsor to check out....obviously that isnt always possible, dont forget there are some good deals on them at the moment....with warranty! 8-)

  31. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Regarding the 2yr old Domus Galatea - The original version fed the excess pressure via the tray (not the tank), which made the tray fill up much quicker... This can be really annoying if youre making a number of coffees in short succession, but probably wont bother you if youre not.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    It just caught my eye on an auction site which mean I cant test it out, looks nice and from the reviews I read it performs well. Its local so wouldnt waste money on freight and comes with a Gaggia conical grinder (any good?) and spring loaded tamper. Its on at $1300 with 21 hours to go... Mind you the wife would kill me (maybe I should test that out ;) ).

  33. #33
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 5E7371777A7B7F120 link=1255089893/31#31 date=1256027591
    It just caught my eye on an auction site which mean I cant test it out, looks nice and from the reviews I read it performs well. *Its local so wouldnt waste money on freight and comes with a Gaggia conical grinder (any good?) and spring loaded tamper. *Its on at $1300 with 21 hours to go... *Mind you the wife would kill me (maybe I should test that out *;) ).
    It may go for a bit more yet... 1000 shots ???

    Grinder looks well used ?

    Send them some hard questions as to service and how they have looked after it etc etc

    The issue is that with that Auction site and others it is your choice at time of pick up to accept / refuse. If you pick it up and do not test / confirm all is OK and as discribed... Then NO protection...

    No protecting will have ya wife off side :-)

    As another said... Some good sponsor buys at present...

    If KK is on or around he can provide lots more advice on the unit..

  34. #34
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 725F5D5B5657533E0 link=1255089893/31#31 date=1256027591
    Gaggia conical grinder
    As far as Im aware, Gaggia dont have a conical grinder. They do or did have one called Conik, and that was flat burr. Theres a 2nd hand one going for far less on evilbay, so Id say the one youre looking at is way over-priced. Serves you right if you buy it. ;)


  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    AM, Have sent a message to the sell re service & maintenance already. I was looking for something preloved and this was just down the road. Everything else is down south and pick up only.

    Dennis, It looks like a Gaggia MDF Espresso Grinder and Doser. RRP about $200 US.

    Heavy Duty 120 Watt Motor
    Low Speed and Low Static Grinder
    34 Grind Settings
    50mm Tempered Steel Grinding Burrs
    Impact Resistant Plastic Housing
    10oz. Large Capacity Bean Hopper
    Dosing Grinder with Pull Lever Action
    Smoked Plastic Bean and
    Ground Coffee Container
    Colors: Black or White
    Weight: 10 Lbs.
    Dimensions: 11.5ĒH x 4.5ĒW x 8.5ĒD

    The only concern I have so far (apart from buying at an auction site, unseen and untested) is that it gets really hot to touch (According to other posts) and I have a few young kids.

    What does a second hand one normally fetch?

  36. #36
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    They dont get hot to touch (I have one).
    I find mine is a good little grinder for work to use with the 6910.

    However, buying from an auction site untested is the danger.

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Sorry thundergod I was refering to the Bezzera Domus Galatea with that comment. I didnt make that too clear.

  38. #38
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 7E5351575A5B5F320 link=1255089893/36#36 date=1256037183
    Sorry thundergod I was refering to the Bezzera Domus Galatea with that comment. *I didnt make that too clear.
    Just drape a microfibre cloth over the chrome head as I do, and you wont have a problem

    KK

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Depending how young the little ones are you could just warn them, worked for ours, the cloth is a great idea though, as for second hand ones, one of the sponsors would be able to give you a good idea, ya just dont see too many around s/\/hand, theyre just too puuuurty! 8-)

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Well I need cheering up because my 4 year old has to have another operation just before Christmas. I need something shiney to look at and if it makes coffee in the morning it will make life a bit more cheery.

    I will wait for a response to the message I sent about maintenance of the machine and might even ask for a preview.

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    115

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 1D323B392E113D323D3B39313932285C0 link=1255089893/15#15 date=1255414932
    The Lelit will see you up and running with a grinder etc and producing good coffee in no time... A EM6910 will need a Grinder.. A Silvia is good, but you will need a grinder and then a PID...
    AM, out of curiosity, why would you say a Silvia needs a PID and why wouldnt you suggest the same for the lelit combo, as theyre almost identical machines internally.

  42. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D6A692A2131590 link=1255089893/40#40 date=1256084656
    AM, out of curiosity, why would you say a Silvia needs a PID and why wouldnt you suggest the same for the lelit combo, as theyre almost identical machines internally. *
    I was wondering that myself and Ive seen a Gaggia Classic with a PID too so I would be interested to find out the benefits for the Lelit?

  43. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Sadly not. Missed out just like you. The bidding went a bit crazy at the end but the Mrs put her foot down. Nice machine though! I will just have to dream a little longer.

  44. #44
    Senior Member greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,152

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    I received an e-mail from a friend a few days ago about a BezDomGal on evilbay and what I thought about it, I gave them the usual warnings and said to check its use and care regime etc.
    Received an e-mail today, they have purchased said Machine.......its on its way to WA :) :)

  45. #45
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,613

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Regarding the comments about Silvia needing a PID Controller while others do not.... This is a "furfie" to be quite honest. None of the machines mentioned need a PID Controller but the addition of one does make life a little easier when using them. It takes away the chore of Temperature Surfing when youre trying to find the ideal temperature at which to pull a shot for a particular coffee varietal or blend.

    I installed one on a Lelit style machine a number of years ago and it definitely made life a lot easier for both pulling shots and texturing milk. Basically, after the machine had finished warming up, it was possible to just walk up without any additional preparation, than to load and lock-in the Group Handle(GH), pull the shot and Bobs you uncle. If you then wanted to create some marvellous micro-foam, you could either switch the Controller over to Steam Mode or up the Setpoint to 125C or so. After a very short time, enough steam was available to really go to town texturing up to a max of 500ml of milk at a time. The PID Controller just holds the Boiler Temperature at what ever temperature you have set it at, no dead-band to worry about as with even the best of T/stats.

    So, in a nutshell, the PID Controller works well on a Dual Purpose Single Boiler machine because the Group Head is basically part of the Boiler, usually attached to the bottom of the Boiler in some fashion which allows for a short and efficient coupling of the Boiler Temperature to the Group Head and the Brew Water itself. In essence, you create a very thermo-stable closed loop system that makes it possible to deliver Brew Water into the GH within a very narrow temperature envelope, shot after shot after shot (within the design constraints of the machine itself).

    I loved the convenience and efficiency of my converted machine, which allowed for the added bonus of being able to dial-in the Brew Water temperature to suit any bean varietal and roast profile. Probably a coffee geek (nerd) version of heaven.... 8-)

    With the machines as-is though, you will be able to pull some great espresso very consistently. You just need to take the time to learn the idiosyncrasies of the machine and put that to best advantage.... :)

    All the best,
    Mal.

  46. #46
    brett230873
    Guest

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Excellent post Mal! *I had my Silvia for ten years before upgraditis hit. *In that time I made coffee consistently comparable to my new machine and without a PID or any major service hassles. *This is a great machine and she will train you how to get the best from her. *Enjoy the journey and welcome!

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    115

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    I dont have a PID on my Silvia and wont be buying one anytime soon, and I cant say my coffee suffers as a result.

    It would be fairer to say a Silvia can be improved with a PID, but it doesnt need one.

  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Thanks for all the advise everyone. I spotted a Miss Lucy on evilbay and just purchased it and I think it will keep me happy for a while (if it arrives in one piece), I think I got a good price and she looks in mint condition and shes well looked after, so I just hope it all works out.

    I dare say I will be back asking for tips on how to tame her in a few weeks. :) The wife thinks Im mad! ;D

  49. #49
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 476A686E6362660B0 link=1255089893/48#48 date=1256374699
    Thanks for all the advise everyone. *I spotted a Miss Lucy on evilbay and just purchased it and I think it will keep me happy for a while (if it arrives in one piece), I think I got a good price and she looks in mint condition and shes well looked after, so I just hope it all works out.

    I dare say I will be back asking for tips on how to tame her in a few weeks. :) * The wife thinks Im mad! ;D
    Do some searching on the LUCY using it as a key word.. There are a number of Miss Lucy owners here and some great posts as to issues / mods and total rebuilds..

    AM

  50. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: Seeking advice for my first espresso machine and grinder

    Thanks AM for the search tip! There is loads of info to wade through.

    I was also looking at a starter kit from coffeeparts $129

    Home Barista Kit: JB-136


    1 x (JB-045) Solid S/S Professional Tamper, 544 grams ō 58mm
    1 x (JB-040) Tamping Matt 150x100x8mm
    1 x (JB-001) 300ml Stainless Steel Milk Jug
    1 x (JB-002) 600ml Professional Stainless Steel Milk Jug
    1 x (JB-062) S/S Chocolate Shaker with mesh top and no handle
    1 x (JB-999) 500gr Espresso Clean coffee machine cleaner
    1 x (521902) 58 mm blind filter
    1 x (JB-021) Group head brush
    1 x (JB-023) Professional Grinder brush
    1 x (JB-052) Professional Thermometer, with clip
    1 x (JB-058) Big Digit Countdown timer for the perfect espresso

    Also going to add a grinds bin & descaling product (any advise on which one?).

    Will this be okay to use with the Lucy or am I going overboard? Cheers.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Advice needed on best cheap and nasty espresso machine for smart grinder
    By the_procrastinator in forum Brewing Equipment - Entry level (sub $500)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 28th September 2011, 10:25 PM
  2. Seeking advice on home machine purchase.
    By glennsfield in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18th March 2010, 11:00 PM
  3. Introduction and seeking advice for my machine
    By fatpat in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th October 2006, 07:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •