Thread: Lelit Combi - group seal

Lelit Combi - group seal

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all,

Ive bought a new Lelit Combi from Talk Coffee. Great little machine.

One query - the group seal is REALLY TIGHT, and requires a lot of effort to twist the group handle into place. Chris told me that the seal would wear in, but after a month of regular use, its still not wearing in.

(I emailed you Chris - but perhaps youre busy with travel plans etc to confirm how long youd expect it to take to wear in?)

Has anyone any experience with a tight seal? is it normal? If so - how long should it take to wear in? Should I just ask for another seal from Talk Coffee to see if that fixes the problem?

Ive read another post about a Nemox del Opera that had a issue with cracked group housings, so Im worried that the tight seal might bring on this problem? Id rather fix the issue now than pay to fix a crackd group housing outside of warranty...

Any help or advice appreciated, thanks.

TC

Re: Lelit Combi - group seal

My apols Dr C,

I must have missed it... :-[

In my relatively limited experience with the Lelit, every one I have benchtested has been very tight and they are harder than others I have seen.

We have replacement Lelit group seals for sale, but they are one size fits all so I fear you will have to be patient as yours wears in. It might be possible be to remove the seal and give the other side a gentle rub down with some wet and dry or similar.

Another option is to slightly decrease the thickness of the group handle lugs by grinding them down slightly.

Perhaps some other owners might be able to offer suggestions.

Chris

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 1025282F1B072B22222121440 link=1255345641/1#1 date=1255347344
    My apols Dr C,

I must have missed it... :-[

In my relatively limited experience with the Lelit, every one I have benchtested has been very tight and they are harder than others I have seen.

We have replacement Lelit group seals for sale, but they are one size fits all so I fear you will have to be patient as yours wears in. It might be possible be to remove the seal and give the other side a gentle rub down with some wet and dry or similar.

Another option is to slightly decrease the thickness of the group handle lugs by grinding them down slightly.

Perhaps some other owners might be able to offer suggestions.

Chris

I would go with a SPARE and then lightly sand the back of one... Wet and Dry with lots of water... BUT do not be too hasty... It wont take as much as you might think...

The other thing I do is LUBE..

Rice Bran OIL... Food safe and good for HIGH temps... I always lightly coat my fingers and give the seal a nice rubbing before putting into place.. I find that it helps when it comes time to remove and the slight lub assist with bedding in the seal face and the rim of the group..

Remember 2 + 2 = coffee (Good coffee = 5) for large values of 2

Cool, thanks Chris and AM,

Id think the sanded spare seal sounds good. Where would you buy rice bran oil? Health food shop perhaps?

Another point worth noting is that the whole assembly is tighter when its cold and also seem to free up with a bit of water in it (reinforcing the lubrication suggection). I think Id prefer to play with a seal than sand the lugs on the group handle (even though that was my first reaction.

Chris - I think think Ill see if you can send me out some seals. Cheers.

Definitely grab an extra seal dr_crunky. The Lelit here at work has just had its seal replaced. The strange thing with it was that it wasnt as tight as the old one that it replaced.

I suspect the original that we pulled out was marginally thicker than what we have in it now as before it started to degrade the group handle was a nice firm fit at the 6 oclock mark and just before pulling it out we had to twist well into the 5 and 4 oclock positions.

The new seal now sits at between the 5 & 6 oclock mark.

Hope that helps.

Jaso

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 61775A6677706B6E7C050 link=1255345641/3#3 date=1255390779
    Cool, thanks Chris and AM,

Id think the sanded spare seal sounds good. Where would you buy rice bran oil? Health food shop perhaps?

Another point worth noting is that the whole assembly is tighter when its cold and also seem to free up with a bit of water in it (reinforcing the lubrication suggection). I think Id prefer to play with a seal than sand the lugs on the group handle (even though that was my first reaction.

Chris - I think think Ill see if you can send me out some seals. Cheers.
    Rice Bran Oil... Every supermarket - alongside teh Olive oil :-) My wife will not use any thing else when frying etc as Olive oil do change its taste etc at HOT temps... Not really suited to some types of cooking... Rice bran is good.