Thread: Am I better off with a combi unit?

Am I better off with a combi unit?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Snobs
    Coffees at local coffee shops have varied from quite good to terrible, more often than not they are too weak or too bitter. Finding a good coffee when travelling is also a problem. I have almost convinced my wife we would be better off investing in our own machine for xmas. Budget might stretch to $800 at a push. As this will be our first expresso coffee machine, it needs to be something that is not too difficult for a first time user to produce good coffees with reasonable consistency. Preferably something we could take with us when caravanning. Two cups a day required (flat whites or cappacinos) so huge capacity is not critical. *
    Thanks to all the great review material available here on CS, I feel that one of the combi units matched with fresh, quality beans, might best suit our needs. Breville have a combi machine but I think it uses thermo block technology. Is steaming still weak with the newer units? The Lelit Combi or Nemox Dell Opera (same?) seem to get good reviews here but I am not sure where to try/ buy (Melbourne SE suburbs) or where to get best price. Will imported units get cheaper with the rising aussi dollar?
    What advice could you offer a beginner such as I?
    Thanks
    Dave

A_M

Re: Am I better off with a combi unit?

Quote Originally Posted by 6B424E5D5B2F0 link=1256026955/0#0 date=1256026955
    The Lelit Combi or Nemox Dell Opera (same?) seem to get good reviews here but I am not sure where to try/ buy (Melbourne SE suburbs) or where to get best price.
    Ignore the other whitegoods :D

The two you listed are reasonable solid units and should suit your requirements... Great to see you have done some reading / research.

Do not hold out on the exchange rate...

Contact one of the sponsors...

Dave, Talk Coffee are CS Sponsors in Melbourne and have the Lelit, though Chris is on some well-earned leave and will be back at the beginning of November. If you can hold out till then it would be well worth your while to do so.

Cheers
    Den (cuppacoffee)

TC

Hi David and all,

We have stock and Im back in town on 30th October. The shed will be open on the 31st and Ill be on caffeinated jet lag therapy. We have stock of the Lelit...

Cheers

Chris

Thanks all for the replies
    Yes, I can wait a little longer. Ill follow up with Chris when he returns.
    Dave