Thread: 6910 group head leak

6910 group head leak

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, been a while , but Ive been away for work. Back now and smashing some great shots out of my 6910. However, I have notice that the group seal leaks if I go too fine or too much dose or sometimes even if its perfectly dosed and ground. I reckon the problem is the little lip that is on top of the double basket ?? I watched the CD that came with the machine and the double basket that the guy uses does NOT have the little lip on it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Re: 6910 group head leak

Pretty sure the lip is not the cause. At the sunbeam course the machines they used had the smooth lip and they leaked A LOT.

First thing Id do is make sure you are locking your group handle in firm enough and failing that Id check your group head seal (blue seal) for wear. If that is fine check the locking collar itself for signs of wear (plenty of threads explaining this in detail). Remember the smallest amount of wear and/or coffee build up around the seals and collar can be enough to cause leaks.

In my experience the blue group head seals last about 9 months before they start to wear enough to leak small amounts of water.

Thanks mate. The machine is about 2 months old. The group handle fits /engages/lock in great at 6 oclock with no force at all. Should I be cranking it around harder. I wipe the shower screen after every shot and run around the seal with a wet cloth everytime aswell. Its not a major hassle but I dont want to cause premature collar wear etc... by cranking the group handle around too hard ? How hard is too hard ?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 29283F3F242128354D0 link=1256515454/2#2 date=1256516606
    Thanks mate. The machine is about 2 months old. The group handle fits /engages/lock in great at 6 oclock with no force at all. Should I be cranking it around harder. I wipe the shower screen after every shot and run around the seal with a wet cloth everytime aswell. Its not a major hassle but I dont want to cause premature collar wear etc... by cranking the group handle around too hard ? How hard is too hard ?
    Only time mine ever leaked was;

1: split seal
    2: Too fine
    3: Over tamped

You may find that you need to lock in harder... The issue is where you OVER DOSE and lock in hard... All you doing then is stressing the collar and using the shower screen to apply a super hard tamp in real time...

While it may compensate for poor beans or poor grind and tamp it is not ideal and also forces coffie fines up and into thye machine..

AM

(Knowen to have some understanding of the EM6910: 2 + 2 = 5 where 5 is great coffee and 2 is a large value of 2)

Thanks AM. Im pretty sure Im dosing correctly, just getting faint imprint of the screen ( have done the 5 c test aswell) so maybe my grind /tamp is the prob. Im yet to get the perfect shot of think rich goo but ive got close ish. Need a 10 kg bag of fresh beans to play with I think. ;D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 04051212090C0518600 link=1256515454/4#4 date=1256519768
    Thanks AM. Im pretty sure Im dosing correctly, just getting faint imprint of the screen ( have done the 5 c test aswell) so maybe my grind /tamp is the prob. Im yet to get the perfect shot of think rich goo but ive got close ish. Need a 10 kg bag of fresh beans to play with I think. ;D
    Problem for me is that I would get it and then change beans and have to get it all over again... Same issue with my new system...

I get impatient for a coffee at times and presto make a GOD awfull shot :o

When I get it right I smile and then get frustrated that I can not always reproduce... Thats what makes coffee so interesting :D

yup. getting the consistancy right is one thing, but been consistantly consistant is another. Frustrating ( and expensive) but fun. ;D