Thread: Sunbeam 6910 vs Breville BES 680

Sunbeam 6910 vs Breville BES 680

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first post.

Have been using a Bialetti stove top coffee since time began.. Im Italian so was drinking coffee at a young age. My taste in good quality coffee has now been enhanced by frequenting good baristas over the years and am now looking at purchasing a proper set up. The perculator just doesnt cut it anymore..

The dilemma I have is, I need to use Dj/Myer vouchers so I wish to purchase something that they stock. I say this as I know the Rancillio Silvia is getting a great wrap, but unfortunately Im going to have to give that a miss due to those stores not stocking it.

I notice reading the forums here alot of you are speaking highly of the Sunbeam unit - especially with the current grinder deal being included.. my concern there is the reliability of this unit and also space taken with the grinder and coffee machine on the bench. My main priority though is the quality of the coffee! and ease of use.

I am constantly hearing concerns of the inbuilt grinder on the Breville but then this unit has 2 yr warranty compared to the Sunbeams 1 yr (both have 5yr on the pump).

Lots of places are recommending the Sunbeam because I feel of the free grinder.. and a few have mentioned Choice magazine voting it the best??? But dont have evidence of this ?? Maybe theres a sales rep advising this??

Are there any actual owners of the Breville BES 860 out there? Or even better owners of both machines?

Is the Breville BES 860 too new to make a fair comment on?

I can get both at the same price.

Keen to hear peoples experience/opinions.

thanks in advance

Re: Sunbeam 6910 vs Breville BES 680

Choice and coffee machines are not two things that go well together (they tend to place too much emphasis on wierd things that have nothing to do with the coffee). That said there are many who swear by these two machines, do a search and spend a couple of hours reading up on peoples opinions.

They are reasonable but the build quality is an issue, as for the warranty they are very necessary, you will find countless examples of both machines having issues early on (to balance this many people have had no issues for years it seems like some are built well and some built on a friday). Good luck with your search.

thanks for the response. I have been googling over the last few days. To be honest there are very few opinions/reviews online for the Breville. maybe half a dozen and they all seem towards the positive side.

I have now seen both machines in the flesh side by side. Build quality seems similar (to the eye anyway). The basket diameter on the Sunbeam is larger. Using more beans per pour. Does this mean you get a stronger, better quality coffee as apposed to a smaller basket??

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 487D60607D120 link=1257133941/2#2 date=1257143397
    thanks for the response. *I have been googling over the last few days. *To be honest there are very few opinions/reviews online for the Breville. maybe half a dozen and they all seem towards the positive side.

I have now seen both machines in the flesh side by side. *Build quality seems similar (to the eye anyway). *The basket diameter on the Sunbeam is larger. *Using more beans per pour. *Does this mean you get a stronger, better quality coffee as apposed to a smaller basket??
    Not always, but it means you can play a little and when pulling short... You still get a decent shot..

Any opinions on which machine to get? or are they much a muchness

IMO the sunbeam is tried and tested - and therefore the better of the 2. The larger baskets are an advatage if you ask me. Smaller baskets require a harder tamp to get a good rich shot. And you can easily get quality aftermarket tampers for the sunbeam. The sunbeam grinder is a winner for beginners as well.

The only reason Id consider the breville is if youre short of bench space.

With the sunbeam, if you look after it, it wont cause you any trouble.

I follow a strict cleaning regime - water backflush daily, chemical monthly with a shower screen scrub & seal wear check. Descale quarterly. Plenty of detailed threads on here about EM6910 care & maintenance.

i reckon 6910 + 0480 then when one is in for repair you can still use the other, or if one dies you still have the other.

i have *a 6900 in the attic, seems to make an ok coffee never used the BES680 so meh

good luck

founds this on your tube. Its a video cut of a segment on a current affair. Coffee machine review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ku1s87sRnc&NR=1

Yeah a bit dated but still relevant I guess.

As mentioned, there is potential that they can break.

Overall, $700 vs $3k including grinder. If I had $3k Id go a HX machine.

Good luck with BES860 reviews for comparison but they seem a bit thin on the ground.

Also when they break you could be without a machine for many weeks while in for repairs

KK

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 17333A3A39390317332F31335C0 link=1257133941/9#9 date=1257204379
    Also when they break you could be without a machine for many weeks while in for repairs

KK
    Does not matter what machine... Poor Maintenance and or Slack users will break any thing... Had a look at a couple of machines that were in Di Bella that people brought in as part their training...

giggled like a schoolgirl... Some were top line machines and all suffered from poor use / little or NO Maintenance.

It took them 2 days of soaking and many changes of strong cleaner to even get the PF out of the handel and what shower screen.. A solid cake of coffiee fines...

It would make you cry...

But I digress... In general a better class of machine will last longer and give you more control.

Anyone out there own the breville willing to share the love? Anybody tried the machine out?

Referring to the video:

They rated the coffee from the Sunbeam and the Expobar equally but the reporter said the Sunbeam won on taste - was he deaf?

Basset said the Sunbeam had a 5 year commercial warranty - Wrong!
    Theres a one year warranty for domestic use and if you take it to work, even if you are the only person using it, Sunbeam deam it to be used commercially and IIRC the warranty is then only 6 months.
    The 5 years in only on the pumps.

Thirdly, why would you ask Bassett to be one of the judges when the machine he designed was one of those tested?
    You know what hes going to say and the other 3 guys were put under pressure to pick his machine too.

Just so its clear, I use a Sunbeam 6910 at work and have an Expobar at home.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 74415C5C412E0 link=1257133941/7#7 date=1257203120
    founds this on your tube. *Its a video cut of a segment on a current affair. *Coffee machine review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ku1s87sRnc&NR=1
    As many forget today... U-tube and Google are not the final say... They are a source of data...Not even information... Information comes after the assessment and review of all the data ( both fore and agent).

As to current affair and many other adds... As GW said the other day... Give me enough $$$ an I will say any thing in public.

If ya want a true view on the quality of teh coffee from either machine... Ask TG... I am sure he will tell you that the EM6910 can do great coffee :D But the Expobar will be around for much longer and allow finer tweaking and less maintenance issues...

Graciously donate the voucher to your loved one: then whilst the going is good: go and buy a Silvia.

Quote Originally Posted by 6E41484A5D624E414E484A424A415B2F0 link=1257133941/13#13 date=1257225618
    Ask TG... I am sure he will tell you that the EM6910 can do great coffee But the Expobarwill be around for much longer and allow finer tweaking and less maintenance issues...
    Spot on AM.

The 6910 can make a great coffee but the Expobar can make a better one.
    As far as longevity, the Expobar wins hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by 162A372C262730252D26420 link=1257133941/12#12 date=1257225097
    Thirdly, why would you ask Bassett to be one of the judges when the machine he designed was one of those tested?
    You know what hes going to say and the other 3 guys were put under pressure to pick his machine too.
    Call me cynical, but Id say the answer to this one is that the section was little more than a paid advertorial.

Was interesting that when the longevity of the Sunbeam was questioned, the response was not its built to last but rather a fib that it has a long warranty. An admission from the machines designer that it will not last five years without incident? :-? ;)

I have a friend at work who owns a Breville BES680, and he finds it to be a good machine and recommended it to me recently as I am looking for a new machine to upgrade my Saeco Via Venezia.

He had the same issue finding reviews, and he purchased it about 6 months ago. Im not sure how much of a coffee snob he is, but I have gone on a professional training course with him since the purchase at Lavazza, so he should know what hes doing ;) I did point out the potential problems as maheel and Koffee Kosmo have said being that if the machine breaks you are without grinder and espresso machine. Also, if you look at reviews of the Rancilio Miss Lucy/Lelit combi you can find a few other things to be careful of in this type of combo machine.

Hope this helps, but Im personally going with the EM6910 and EM0480 as my upgrade, as I prefer the separate machines and there is more info on looking after it to keep it working well :)

Quote Originally Posted by 757E65651F0 link=1257133941/17#17 date=1257297903
    II did point out the potential problems as maheel and Koffee Kosmo have said being that if the machine breaks you are without grinder and espresso machine. *
    That being said, if your grinder breaks then are you going to be happy getting your beans pre-ground?

The quality machines when looked after have very few problems, Im not sure that I would put the Breville in the same class but a Lucy or Lelit Combi from a CS Sponsor I would call a quality machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 6264737862657D7F160 link=1257133941/18#18 date=1258456102
    The quality machines when looked after have very few problems, Im not sure that I would put the Breville in the same class but a Lucy or Lelit Combi from a CS Sponsor I would call a quality machine.

Hey trent ski

What machine do you have?

Just got myself a GPP and K3 8-)

did my apprenticeship with a Lucy and had no problems with it in the 6 or so years I have had it, as you would expect 8-)