Thread: Silvia steam knob

Silvia steam knob

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I Bought a new Silvia May 2008 and the steam knob has just fallen off (it still works, but doesnt stay in if you give it a gentle tug). Should I be a tad disappointed? I bought it over a Sunbeam because I was expecting it to last better. I hope this will be a trivial repair but still, for a machine that has been reasonably lightly used (about 4 milk froth cups a week, mostly espresso other times) I would have expected better than this.

I did take it in while still under warranty because the steam knob was a bit uneven and stiff in operation. Given its 18 months old, should I complain, or just pay up for the repair?

Re: Silvia steam knob

I would talk to the shop you bought it from. Cant hurt to voice your disappointment.

(one of the) Luwaks

Presumably just the "Steam Valve Knob Spring" - Part Number: 700235 @ $3.90 if you go to *http://www.coffeeparts.com/machines/rancilio-silvia.html

Mine went a week after my last order from coffeeparts *>:( *Itll have to wait a bit longer.

Its the little spring clip, when I had my Silvia I replaced several, I ended buying several so I would have one on hand when they broke, easy to fix though and they only cost a $1 or so, just inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by 352037373C3F333C520 link=1257146886/3#3 date=1257155760
    Its the little spring clip, when I had my Silvia I replaced several, I ended buying several so I would have one on hand when they broke, easy to fix though and they only cost a $1 or so, just inconvenient.
    Thanks. I take it from the responses that it should be easy to replace. Do I take off the screws and lift the top to get access, or does the new clip just pop onto the knob?

Quote Originally Posted by 726A6B6E6B726F63616A020 link=1257146886/4#4 date=1257159959
    Quote Originally Posted by 352037373C3F333C520 link=1257146886/3#3 date=1257155760
    Thanks. I take it from the responses that it should be easy to replace. Do I take off the screws and lift the top to get access, or does the new clip just pop onto the knob?
    Just take out the knob and place the new clip on it and slide it back onto the valve ;)

Geez, I thought it was just idiosyncratic Italian design, :-[.....
    I just put mine back on the shaft and try not to pull it out when turning it.
    Now I know theres a clip I might get around to fixing it one day.

My replacement parts arrived in the mail. Once I paid postage 2 of them came to almost $20. The local dealer Who Shall Not Be Named (or are we allowed to mention non-sponsors if they goof?) offered to fix it for me for $20 if I would take the machine in (not exactly convenient). It would have cost me less to fetch one from them next time I was in the city but I was annoyed enough to get a couple from Coffeeparts. Should cover me for a couple more years.

Any ideas on not wearing it out, e.g. not tightening the valve too hard? Or is this just a regular maintenance item on a Silvia?

Expecting that my new spring (and a spare) will arrive in the mail tomorrow, do I just pull the old one off with a pair of pliers? It seems to be a very tight fit.

Yes the clip is a tight fit.
    You can probably slide the old one off, a small screwdriver wedged between the clip and the knob may provide some leverage.
    From memory, the new clip just pushed on, but expect a bit of fiddling around....patience always makes these kind of jobs easier.

Do be careful of any spring clip as they can fly off, watch you eyes and keep the bench and floor clean so as it would be easy to find.
    Good luck.
    The new clip is working great for me, I can pull the knob out and leave it anywhere on the shaft and it just stays....great for when you want to clean around it.

It was an easy job, used the pliers for grip, the old one pulled off very easily, and then lined the new one up as best I could and pushed gently against the chopping board and it slid into place. Now working as good as new :) $3.90 well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by 79757C7C7F7F45776F771A0 link=1257146886/10#10 date=1264796186
    It was an easy job, used the pliers for grip, the old one pulled off very easily, and then lined the new one up as best I could and pushed gently against the chopping board and it slid into place. Now working as good as new :) $3.90 well spent.
    Good onya Mum.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.