Thread: Silvia prime

Silvia prime

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I own a Silvia 2009.
    After I have finished steaming, I turn the steam button off and hit the brew button until I get a steady flow of water.

My question is whilst the brew button is on purging the steam, it spits steam out, water flows intermittently, then stops flowing for about 3 seconds. Then a steady flow of water begins to stream.

Is it a concern that the water stops flowing? I am worried that the boiler is momentarily empty.

Regards

Bary BC

Re: Silvia prime

Pretty normal I think,
    The process of steaming will tend to empty a boiler, you dont hear the pump running therefore nothing is actually refilling it.

Under normal useage [eg 600 ml jug], steaming wont fully empty the boiler, but you will end up with some space eg 1/2 water and 1/2 steam.

Water is in-compressable, steam/ air is compressable.
    What I think is happening is that when you hit the brew switch: the increased steam pressure assists in forcing water [and steam] out of the group.
    At some point, once the steam pressure has run out, the pump has to do some "catch-up" work which is where you get less/no flow.

Always prime the boiler after steaming: you get the added benefit of quickly bringing the temp cycle down toward the brew temp.

Normal behaviour, continue as you are 8-)

No that is how it should be. The boiler empties a bit while you are steaming, so when you run the pump again it needs to refill the boiler before water will come out the group.

What I do is run the pump with the steam knob open. That way I dont get heaps of hot water and steam spitting out of the group handle, it gives the steam wand a good flush, and refills the boiler a little faster.

Fantastic!

Thanks for the help! Im glad no harm is being done!

I am very quick to shut the steam off and hit the brew switch to prime. So I will continue as I am!

Regards

Barny

Quote Originally Posted by 695855565556390 link=1259719596/3#3 date=1259729372
    No that is how it should be. The boiler empties a bit while you are steaming, so when you run the pump again it needs to refill the boiler before water will come out the group.

What I do is run the pump with the steam knob open. That way I dont get heaps of hot water and steam spitting out of the group handle, it gives the steam wand a good flush, and refills the boiler a little faster.
    I initially recharged with the group but switched to the steam wand and found it more efficient and less messy, placing the wand in a milk jug and purging until hot water flowed into the jug.

I think it would help to know more about the internals of the boiler to understand this and other weird behavior *- the best I can find is ... http://coffeegeek.com/images/35630/C...erCircuit1.JPG. *Randys http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/3way/intro.html also helps. (anybody found better?)

When steaming, the water level will usually fall below the centre tube feeding the group head - refilling through the group wouldnt fill the boiler as completely as filling through the steam arm (which exits right at the top). *I think this can cause the "sudden rush" you sometimes get at the end of shots.

Thats a great guide Scarey - thanks!

Will remember to refill the boiler through the steam arm from now on too - thanks for the tips guys.

My real question is - is it strictly necessary to refill the boiler. I do it as part my practice now, but not sure if its really necessary as I make cappas by pulling the shot then steaming the milk (only half a 400ml jug).

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

yes it is tashie, if you dont, the boiler will cycle on with only a half covered boiler......remeber that smell when you turn on the kettle without any water in it ;)

Think of it as doing just that, refilling the kettle before hitting the on button, but with an espresso machine, it turns itself on, and off with the tstat.

Cheers
    Warren