Thread: Rancilio service Sunshine Coast/Brisbane

Rancilio service Sunshine Coast/Brisbane

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get my Rancilio Miss Lucy serviced on the Sunshine Coast, or even Brisbane North?

I havent been able to get a decent coffee out of it for over a week (and 1kg of beans) and before I book in with Tim @ Pioneer Roastery for my coffee course I want to make sure that its all working in tip top condition.

Thanks in advance for your help.

A_M

Re: Rancilio service Sunshine Coast/Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by 04292B2D202125480 link=1260230459/0#0 date=1260230459
    Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get my Rancilio Miss Lucy serviced on the Sunshine Coast, or even Brisbane North?

I havent been able to get a decent coffee out of it for over a week (and 1kg of beans) and before I book in with Tim @ Pioneer Roastery for my coffee course I want to make sure that its all working in tip top condition.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    If ya Cant... I am on teh north side of Brisbane and will be spending a few days up around Moffit beach..

If ya have a new group seal, some time and some descaler and coffee cleaner... We can go through it together :-*

I have temp meters, dvm and other minor stuff as well as have a solid understanding of teh rocky... So doing some work on the grinder should be OK as well...

From the 12 to the 22..

Let me know if ya interested..

Rates = CS rates ::) :-X

AM, Thanks. *I wouldnt mind it if you can look over my machine if you can fit me in. *Im only here until the 15th though because my son is off into hospital on the 16th for a week.

I really wouldnt mind yourself or someone local basically tell me if its me or the machine. *Ive cleaned it with the powder and I backflush on a daily basis. *Ive put a new showerscreen on, but I havent touched the seal (but I do have 2 in a drawer). *Ive pulled apart the grinder, replaced the burrs and done the teflon tape mod (single wrap) and it doesnt wobble. *Also did that light mod for the heater.

My problem is basically that Im getting 10sec Gusher pulls in 30secs regardless or my tamp, dose, grind etc. *Its driving me nuts. I dont have another grinder to compare mine too which is frustrating.

Ive used Signature Rare Cargo beans (freshly roasted between 2days and a week+) and Pioneer Roastary Heratige Blend (6days from roasting) that I got yesterday. *Both had the same results. *Ive ground them from 15 to 0 (0 is my really 0 where at -1 the burrs chirp)

My wife put her foot down (probably because Im cranky because I havent had a coffee) and told me to get it serviced and then take it to see Tim @ Pioneer for training on how to use it. *I just dont want go there and then find out the machine isnt up to the job.

I was getting nice 60ml shots from the double basket a few weeks ago and even got a beautiful tasting 50ml that I made my latte with and it was so nice I just wish I could repeat it.

Oh, and I havent descaled it because I only just got an email back from the Cino Cleano people re the softner. They said "Please remove the water softener from the water tank during descaling process as the descaler will damage the water softener resin. It is advisable to regenerate the softener and replace it in the tank after the descaling process is complete. The machine may be left on during descaling." Would descaling help my shots at all?

Lacehim

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0E2321272A2B2F420 link=1260230459/2#2 date=1260233646
    AM, Thanks. *I wouldnt mind it if you can look over my machine if you can fit me in. *Im only here until the 15th though because my son is off into hospital on the 16th for a week.

I really wouldnt mind yourself or someone local basically tell me if its me or the machine. *Ive cleaned it with the powder and I backflush on a daily basis. *Ive put a new showerscreen on, but I havent touched the seal (but I do have 2 in a drawer). *Ive pulled apart the grinder, replaced the burrs and done the teflon tape mod (single wrap) and it doesnt wobble. *Also did that light mod for the heater.

My problem is basically that Im getting 10sec Gusher pulls in 30secs regardless or my tamp, dose, grind etc. *Its driving me nuts.

Ive used Signature Rare Carg beans (freshly roasted between 2days and a week+) and Pioneer Roastary Heratige Blend (6days from roasting) that I got yesterday. *Both had the same results. *Ive ground them from 15 to 0 (0 is my really 0 where at -1 the burrs chirp)

My wife put her foot down (probably because Im cranky because I havent had a coffee) and told me to get it serviced and then take it to see Tim @ Pioneer for training on how to use it. *I just dont want go there and then find out the machine isnt up to the job.

I was getting nice 60ml shots from the double basket a few weeks ago and even got a beautiful tasting 50ml that I made my latte with and it was so nice I just wish I could repeat it.
    Was that teh machine or YOU to be serviced *;D :D ;) :o 8-)

10 second gusher sounds like Beans / User *:D ;D ;)

Set a time and a place for the 13 or 14 and I will set aside some time and some of my own beans... *A few mins should be enough for you to make a decision.. Or break ya back laughing at the old man *::) *:P

PS.. Which hospital and where are you intending to stay ?

Could be open to a house sit for a few days / week ??? Close to all the major hospitals and transport - Train and bus as well as shopping centres.. Ya could leave the Miss lucy with me at the coast and use my poor second class pre loved baby :D ;) :-*

PM me ya details...

Quote Originally Posted by 5B7674727F7E7A170 link=1260230459/2#2 date=1260233646
    Oh, and I havent descaled it because I only just got an email back from the Cino Cleano people re the softner. *They said "Please remove the water softener from the water tank during descaling process as the descaler will damage the water softener resin. It is advisable to regenerate the softener and replace it in the tank after the descaling process is complete. The machine may be left on during descaling." *Would descaling help my shots at all?

Lacehim
    AM has you sorted re: the visit but there might be an opportunity to get things right before then.

The advice given above is corrected but that shouldnt stop you removing the softener from the end of your hose. *Once removed and soaking in a salt solution (refer your own documentation for the correct regeneration process) you can do a descale of the machine.

Your earlier comments about getting good results in the not too distant past might be indicative of a scale buildup.

Cheers Jaso,

Just giving it a big clean now and will descale with the Cino Cleano descaling liquid and recharge the softner and then pull a few shots. Might as well give it a try.

Cleaned & descaled today with no improvement. Still not sure if the grinder is working as it should. How can you tell?

In regards to dosing the Lucy/Silvia what is the required dosing level? Ive been filling the basket, leveling then tamping. The resulting tamp means that the coffee is flat just at the bottom of the inner indentation on the bastket (double). Is this too much? The centre bolt also punches a great big hole in the puck. Ive tried all sorts of different methods mine you in regards to dosing. So many that I think I got a headache along the way, and no improvement in the bad shots. :(

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 14393B3D303135580 link=1260230459/6#6 date=1260262551
    Cleaned & descaled today with no improvement. *Still not sure if the grinder is working as it should. *How can you tell?

In regards to dosing the Lucy/Silvia what is the required dosing level? *Ive been filling the basket, leveling then tamping. *The resulting tamp means that the coffee is flat just at the bottom of the inner indentation on the bastket (double). *Is this too much? *The centre bolt also punches a great big hole in the puck. *Ive tried all sorts of different methods mine you in regards to dosing. *So many that I think I got a headache along the way, and no improvement in the bad shots. :(
    Bring it down on Sunday.. Drop it at my place and pick up on teh way home :-)

A: Grinder..

Not like corn flour... Some where between fine black pepper and fine table salt.. Consistent in size and not fluffy bits.

After ya tamp and twist.. You inspect teh surface.. Fine will tend to give a polished surface etc.. Courser will tend to allow you to see the bits of beans... More of a speckled affect..

The issue here is that the grind / dose / tamp all have to be adjusted to suit ya machine..

There is no one magic bullet :o

Anyone had any dealings with espresso doctor in brisbane for servicing and repairs?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4B6664626F6E6A070 link=1260230459/8#8 date=1260448897
    Anyone had any dealings with espresso doctor in brisbane for servicing and repairs?
    Have heard both good and bad... SOme what dependant of the tec...

You could try Queensland Coffee Machine Sales (QCMS)... They are a sponsor..

Note: Will be up at Moffitt beach from Monday... So my offer still stands..

AM

Thanks AM.

Im going to be glad of your help next week. Will PM you.

Ive kept trying a few things but Ive given up for the moment and am currently drinking french press which has never been a favorite. From Lucy Im getting 200ml in 20-25 seconds with beans roasted on 1st Dec from Pioneer. :( Its driving me nuts.

I have to admit to totally missed QCMS! I never seem to be able to find the Queensland sponsers on that list for some reason. Its nice to know that there is someone these just incase I need them for a repair or service if I cant tackle it myself.

A bit thank you to AngerManagement (and family) for helping me out today!

THANK YOU!!!

I made myself a coffee after you left to see if I could repeat the results and its all working as it was way before I had problems. It tasted pretty good and now I can get back to slowly refining my method.

Turned out that I needed to grind just that little bit finer and the screw in the grinder was preventing it.

Off to make more coffee. After 3 weeks without one at home Im probably going to overdose! :)

Again, Thank you AM and I hope you enjoy your break.

Quote Originally Posted by 624F4D4B4647432E0 link=1260230459/11#11 date=1260860149

THANK YOU!!!

I made myself a coffee after you left to see if I could repeat the results and its all working as it was way before I had problems. *It tasted pretty good and now I can get back to slowly refining my method.

Turned out that I needed to grind just that little bit finer and the screw in the grinder was preventing it.

Off to make more coffee. *After 3 weeks without one at home Im probably going to overdose! :)

Pleased to hear you got it sorted, aint it great when a story has a happy ending. :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 152920382D4C0 link=1260230459/12#12 date=1260860491
    Quote Originally Posted by 624F4D4B4647432E0 link=1260230459/11#11 date=1260860149

THANK YOU!!!

I made myself a coffee after you left to see if I could repeat the results and its all working as it was way before I had problems. *It tasted pretty good and now I can get back to slowly refining my method.

Off to make more coffee. *After 3 weeks without one at home Im probably going to overdose! :)

Pleased to hear you got it sorted, aint it great when a story has a happy ending. :)

Would not say all sorted... But closer... The scres in the grinder was the safety lock that stops you reaching true ZERO... But was off set a bit.

Not sure why as this has new burrs, but has to be set very close to ZERO to get a grind that works...

Beans do play a part but with 3 sets to work on..... That was the best we could do...

But how quickly we get spoilt..

1: A fixed steam wand :-?
    2: Switches for steam and brew etc...

In addition am on hols and dragged my EM3600 along and forgot my SS jug.. Further more I did not test prior to leaving :-? :-? :-? Ended up with brused lips... Trying to suck and blow to clean a blockage from the vibe pump.....

Should have brought the Presso.....

Quote Originally Posted by 48676E6C7B446867686E6C646C677D090 link=1260230459/13#13 date=1260864168
    Would not say all sorted... But closer... The scres in the grinder was the safety lock that stops you reaching true ZERO... But was off set a bit.

Not sure why as this has new burrs, but has to be set very close to ZERO to get a grind that works...
    At least I can finally drink coffee now that its not a 200ml gusher! I had 3 this afternoon!!! When I get back from my trip I will probably strip the machine right back and try both my old and new burrs and see if there is a difference.

After all I read about the rocky grinder I expected to be +8ish off true zero, but its probably only +1 or +2 off true zero to get the result we got. It just goes to show you that all the reading in the world sometimes doesnt help you unless you have first hand experience. In my case a visit from AM! :)

It was great to meet you and the family. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by 5D70727479787C110 link=1260230459/14#14 date=1260884211
    +1 or +2 off true zero
    Thats pretty much where I have mine set as well, depends a lot on the roast, humidity etc, find Im making minor adjustments constantly. :)