Thread: Novice considering delonghi magnifica, rancillio silvia, saeco

Novice considering delonghi magnifica, rancillio silvia, saeco

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Folks
    Just joined the forum today and a bit overwhelmed. I have recently (a few hours ago) secured permission from the wife to buy a coffee machine. We had a solid Saeco machine at our office for years, and I have a buddy with a Delonghi Magnifica, understand that the Rancilio silvia is a good machine, and see plenty of Gaggia swing-up machines on the market. But apart from that, Im in the dark. A fool and his money are easily parted .... so I would value some input.
    I have max $1200 to spend, but I started this excercise on ebay hoping to grab something cheaper (around $300, before scope creep set in) - but now feel a warranty if important. I would like a grinder, and milk frothing, and am no expert (so automatic may be better for me). I drink a fair bit of coffee, and we entertain "a lot" (despite the crap coffee ...).
    Would appreciate advice for the novice!! My initial preference is for the delonghi machine, but its pretty expensive.

A_M

Re: Novice considering delonghi magnifica, rancillio silvia, saeco

Quote Originally Posted by 727E7D7C24222222110 link=1261299456/0#0 date=1261299456
    Folks
    Just joined the forum today and a bit overwhelmed. I have recently (a few hours ago) secured permission from the wife to buy a coffee machine. We had a solid Saeco machine at our office for years, and I have a buddy with a Delonghi Magnifica, understand that the Rancilio silvia is a good machine, and see plenty of Gaggia swing-up machines on the market. But apart from that, Im in the dark. A fool and his money are easily parted .... so I would value some input.
    I have max $1200 to spend, but I started this excercise on ebay hoping to grab something cheaper (around $300, before scope creep set in) - but now feel a warranty if important. I would like a grinder, and milk frothing, and am no expert (so automatic may be better for me). I drink a fair bit of coffee, and we entertain "a lot" (despite the crap coffee ...).
    Would appreciate advice for the novice!! My initial preference is for the delonghi machine, but its pretty expensive.

Do a search of CS... Look for the sticky how to search Coffeesnobs and ake sure you select much longer than a week.

1: Do not rush in... If ys do some reading... You will quickly see why... The topic of autos get raised and answered almost every second week...

2: The item your leaning towards is not expensive... But will be when you need to pay for servicing every few months... And that the coffee is nothing great to crow about...

3: Even with top quality beans... I have seen few of these that can perform... People top up the beans and they sit for a week and the stray grinds go stale very quickly... Better to get a plunger...

Then when you also make the grind finer.. The system clogs..

Oh... But to many it looks great on the bench... Prity as a pic... But little true functionality..

Do the right thing by your self and ya partner... Take some time out and visit a few of the sponsors,,,

In the worse case... The combo units that the sponsors are offering would be a hands down better option... Coffee is not as simple as it seems, thats why 2 + 2 = 5 where coffee is 5.

Welcome to CS... Sorry but the truth is somtimes a bit brutal and with $$$ being short.. One need to ensure that the wife is always truly Happy...

Welcome to Coffee Snobs colm.

As AM said - autos look pretty but thats it.
    You might end up with one spending more time on the service bench than the kitchen bench.

You havent said where youre located (please update your profile) so we can recommend your nearest site sponsor.

Best to get your hands on some and taste the coffee they produce before parting with your hard earned.

You mentioned "scope creep".
    Ill assume then that you should know to document your requirements including "must haves" and "nice to haves"; include your budget and youve got your project proposal under way.

Happy shopping.

Thanks folks - good to feel like expertise is within reach..

Following a swift learning curve this evening, I am leaning away from the automatic machines. Space is an issue (in that a single unit would be preferable), but is probably more of a "nice to have".

I am based in Sydney (Willoughby), and am a flat white man (as are most of our regular guests). So milk is a "must have", and the ability to knock out 4-6 cups for guests regularly is a "must have" (every second night it seems, and more at the weekend). Hence my initial interest in automatic machines, to allow conversation with visitors rather than burying myself away for a while preparing coffees.
    But on more mature reflection, the Sunbeam 6910 or the Rancilio Silvia / Rocky grinder combo looks more like the shot. The advice I have seen on the strands I have found leans towards these two in this price bracket. The Rancillio probably favoured on the end result and longevity of machine, with the 6910 favoured for knocking out multiple coffees and a wee bit less expensive.
    My little knowledge has quadrupled this evening - but I am still feeling a bit lost.

Colm

TC

Hi Colm,

I think that you will find the Silvia doesnt meet your requirements either. If youre doing mainly milk and 4-6 cups regularly the Silvia will do your head in. It will be too slow.

What you are looking for in a heat exchanger machine, but sadly, the good ones start at about $2k. This means that you may just scrape in under $2.5k if you economise wherever possible.

Alternately, its the 6910, but be warned that there are plenty of owners on machine #3 or 4 with associated tales of woe and long periods while their machine sat on a service bench somewhere...

In Sydney, CS sponsors Jetblack, Di Bartoli and Cuppacoffee are highly regarded by our members. All will be thrilled to assist you.

Good luck..

2mcm

A_M

As per 2mcm

If lots of milk based... This adds any numer of performance issues to the mix...

EM6910 will perform well and do what ya want with a good grinder... Specials at about $800 OR LESS FOR BOTH.

HOWEVER; The do have reliability issues and while some go and go and go... Many others suffer problems due to build quality and or USERS being a bit heavy handed...

There are other systems such as the Oscar ? and of course pre loved units.... Barazi Bezzera Coffee Machines and other sponsors offen have some great systems at good priceses....

If ya want a semi Auto as in a system that have a program and or timing function to a llow a hit the button and wait till it stops.... The $$$ go up... A straight manual is usualy somewhat cheeper... But who MUST stop the shot your self..

Go and visit a sponsor or two..

Good hunting...

Folks
    this is great feedback. Agonising over the decision between silvia / rocky versus 6910 / em 0480 package. Just wondering how long it would take to fire out say 4 flat whites using a silvia - is that something that will require 1 hour warm up and another 30+ minutes of prep? If so, the 6910 might be better. If the differtial is less, I would consider the silvia, as I appreciate merits of the silvia and am impressed with its feedback on CS. It sounds like a machine I might evolve to later.

So, Im currently leaning towards the 6910 path, with the free em0480 deal. Maybe this meets my needs a bit more right now, long as I get a good warranty agreement. This would be my first machine, so I would get onto a barista course too (avid golfer, and big believer in lessons - its always the user at fault in golf and rarely the clubs, at my level).

Id welcome thoughts on that strategy.

The 6910 does come with a 5 year pump warranty and 12 months for every thing else. Everything else includes the electronics and collar wear, which seems to be what goes wrong for most. But as mentioned, if you look after the machine it will serve you well. Follow the cleaning regimes suggested in the manual. Dont forget you get a free sunbeam coffee course with it - which will teach you some basics but not much more. The DVD that comes with the machine is handy too for a newbie.

Good luck which ever path you choose.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 717D7E7F27212121120 link=1261299456/6#6 date=1261366512
    Just wondering how long it would take to fire out say 4 flat whites using a silvia - is that something that will require 1 hour warm up and another 30+ minutes of prep?
    I own a 6910 and a machine that is similar to the Silvia so hopefully I can provide some insight.

Firstly warm up time is not signficantly different. The ready light on the 6910 comes on after only a couple of minutes but in reality you would want to let it warm up for at least 15min before brewing. That way you allow the group head to warm up.

It would definitely take longer to make 4 lattes on the Silvia compared to the Sunbeam.

With the Silvia you pour your first 2 shots, then wait for the boiler to reheat for steaming before preparing your milk. With the 6910 you can texture milk whilst shots are pouring.

With the 6910 you can go straight to making your next 2 coffees. With the Silvia you first need to prime your boiler and wait for it to come back to temp.

Having said that, like many others, Ive had issues with my Sunbeam and wouldnt feel comfortable recommending it. The Silvia in comparison is a simple and proven design that will give rock solid performance over many years.

Unfortunately as 2MCM points out, it wont be suitable for your requirements.

You can take your chances with a Sunbeam but with the benefit of hindsight, Id be saving up for a HX machine. A well cared for 2nd hand HX machine will most likely last longer than a brand new 6910.

brett230873

Alan Frew has a fantastic article on his website "Coffee for Six" using the Silvia. I used his modus operandi and found Silvia to cope with 6 consumately. Dont buy anything without reading this article. Silvia and Rocky cost more for good reason. Youll also get resale value out of them as Ive discovered. Dont discount this carrot when begging the wife to upgrade.... Um... The coffee gear, yes, just the coffee gear. Good luck!

FWIW, I wouldnt put too much importance on being able to steam and brew at the same time. Seeing as it takes approx 30 seconds to pull a shot, thats not much of a time saving. And I seem to be so busy waiting on the boiler to get to steam temperature (milk from fridge, jug from freezer, thermometer out, bleed off water blah blah), that I just dont seem to have spare time before I can start on the milk. The Silvias reputation is not hype. And sooo much steam!!

Good Luck (Buying a new machine is so much fun!!)

And dont forget your Pullman Tamper

you have $1200, make an offer on this....................
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1260751275

then ask santa for a grinder ???

if your making latte en mass BUY a HX machine you will never look back.

if you wanted to see one of these running you could come and look at mine in Mosman SYD i have the same machine. I reckon Davids would be better sorted than mine......

but otherwise the Silvia may be your best bet....

Folks,
    super responses - andI have been inspired to read many many reviews avidly. I was very impressed with the Alan Frew site, and I have been reading many many strings on CS. The Rancilio Silvia is a clear winner in most respects. But as one of the reviews commented, the mass production of milk coffees would do my head in. Also most of my guests (who are family & friends) are average coffee drinkers - as I am myself (though my tastes are being educated, at the school of hard knocks), so the Rancilio/Rocky advantages may be lost.
    And my budget is a genuine consideration.
    So I think I am going to plump for the 6910 deal.
    I thank everyone for the comments - please do not feel I have ignored the expert and sage advice. Far from it. As I said at the outset, Im a novice. And a novice with a budget. I will "learn my trade" on this 6910, and return to the fray in a few years (possibly missing the Silvia step) and evolve as a higher order being with a suitable budget.
    This CS is fantastic, and I will be staying active to climb the learning curve.

Heartfelt thanks for your time and thought
    Colm

brett230873

The 6910 package is still a fantastic entry point. Just ensure you get the extended warranty for peace of mind. Good luck with your journey.

Folks - the Last Post (no chorus),
    Bought my 6910. Set it up. Had a few dabbles and have now found on a nice formula I am happy with as a baseline. My wife, a bit of a cynic, was a bit surprised at what it could produce and commented last night "hey, this stuff is genuinely better than the cafe we usually go to".
    Case proven.
    Happy Xmas all !!
    Colm

fim

Well congratulations colm; but if you can outdo the local cafe with a 6910 on your first day, it may be worthwhile looking for a better cafe. The coffee journey is usually a little longer than that.
    Great start anyway and another welcome to CS from me.
    Have a great coffee year.