Thread: Miss Silvia. What is your PID settings?

Miss Silvia. What is your PID settings?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just PID Miss Silvia but having problems with the right PID settings. Ive tried the numbers suggested in the nice pdf guide on this website *but they dont seem to be regulate my machine very well. I think my setup slightly underreads compared with everyones setup but then it is only a guide.

I connected mine up with the stock silvia thermostat to see temperature behaviour. It is heating at 79 degrees and switching off at 89 degrees. And steaming on at 111 degrees off at 120 degrees.

My old way of surfing once light switches off I purge some water and by the time I pull the shot it is about 95 degrees. With PID connected and set to 95 degrees the boiler seems to overshoot by 10-15 degrees and when it slowly falls back down it starts the boiler again before it has reached 95 degrees and temperature keeps rising again.

Curious to find if anyone has had the same problems and what PID setting everyone is using and if there is an easy way of manual tuning.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: Miss Silvia. What is your PID settings?

Just on my way home ATM, Ill post some info tonight

Welcome "newbiemocca"..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Did you install the controller from a Kit from PID Kits (or similar) or put it together yourself from parts you obtained yourself?

PID parameters that work on one brand of controller will not necessarily function as expected with a different make.

Contacting Jim of PID Kits may be one way to help get you going, if he has the time of course..... ;)

Mal.

Backyard job from parts from that big online auction store which shall remain nameless and local electronic store for bits and pieces. But basically have used a K complex ring type thermocouple running a eurotherm pid controller.

Im not too upset that it underreads compared with everyones pid as I guess it only serves as a guide. Certainly at 109degrees the thing is too hot and steaming. But it is yoyoing more than the stock thermostat.

Any chance of posting up some pics of the installation and specific details of the controller itself? Will be helpful to have this info so that we can better assist you... :)

Mal.

Theres stuff on the web about setting PIDs google around a bit and you should turn up something heres something I found of interest at one time, it might help click here Ill have a look at what mine is set at tonight.

On my Watlow 935
    P 8
    I 4.25
    D 0.40
    cycle time 1.0
    not definitive settings just what I found works, temp will waver 1 degree a bit then drop back to set point, I set it good enough to work with and havent bothered since. I would like to know what settings others use.

It is a eurotherm 2132. Got the PID to autotune and it has choosen P 18, t 295, d 49. Also it has a LCB setting 26 and HCB setting 3. I think these last two setting are mean to compensate for the overshoots and undershoots according to eurotherm manual.

Not sure how what the conversion is to the watlow controller anyone know? Getting a variation of +5 degrees now seems a little excessive still or is this expected normal with a pid silvia? Seems to still like to overshoot a bit.

Can you find any help here