Thread: Noob with a Silvia/Rocky combo..

Noob with a Silvia/Rocky combo..

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi again guys/gals,

I am having some issues with bitter shots with my Silvia/Rocky combo, I think it may be temp related (Chris at Talk coffee adjusted the water pressure) as I have tried several different beans, grinds and tamping methods.

I have searched high and low to find a "temp surfing" guide that is easy to understand but no luck.

I will be getting a PID soon but for now would like to clean up the shot as best as I can..

I am getting plenty crema, 30m/25 sec and the puck is dry and breaks in half. Everything seems right as far as I can tell. The shot starts out fairly dark then turns a bit red then lightens toward the end of the 25 sec.

Maybe I will just kidnap Chris at Talk Coffee and tie him up in the garage for when I need a good shot *:D

I have also searched for a noob guide as well with little luck.

Thanks *:)

A_M

Re: Noob with a Silvia/Rocky combo..

Quote Originally Posted by 607C71777576787173616D140 link=1264837112/0#0 date=1264837112
    Hi again guys/gals,

I am having some issues with bitter shots with my Silvia/Rocky combo, I think *it may be temp related (Chris at Talk coffee adjusted the water pressure) as I have tried several different beans, grinds and tamping methods.

I have searched high and low to find a "temp surfing" guide that is easy to understand but no luck.

I will be getting a PID soon but for now would like to clean up the shot as best as I can..

I am getting plenty crema, 30m/25 sec and the puck is dry and breaks in half. Everything seems right as far as I can tell. The shot starts out fairly dark then turns a bit red then lightens toward the end of the 25 sec.

Maybe I will just kidnap Chris at Talk Coffee and tie him up in the garage for when I need a good shot *:D

I have also searched for a noob guide as well with little luck.

Thanks *:)
    lots on that machine here..

http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/Coffee.html

Interesting that in post 20 talks about 20 - 25 for a shot.. I must admit.. Very rare that I go for the full 30..

Also make sure ya time is from when ya hit the switch... not from when the pour starts..

Quote Originally Posted by 7E51585A4D725E515E585A525A514B3F0 link=1264837112/1#1 date=1264841293
    lots on that machine here..

http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/Coffee.html
    Nice site, thanks.

Theres quite a few vids about temp surfing on the silvia on youtube, if you do a quick search!
    good luck with figuring out whats going wrong! :)

Tell us more:
    What issues?
    What are you trying?
    How are you managing the dosing process?

Consistant Dosing is the most difficult thing to master and has the biggest effect on the shot outcome.

Provided your technique is right, If the temp is wrong you should still get about the same extraction time/volume if your dose/tamp/grind is consistant.

Temperature is important, but on after the other variables are really locked down.
    Did I mention consistant dose!

Try waiting for the heater light to go out [maximum temp] then open the steam valve and hit the hot water button. Watch the flow and stop at the point where the water stops spluttering and just becomes a stream with a hint of steam.
    Switch of the hot water, close the valve and hit the brew button... this should put you right in the temperature sweetspot and IMHO is easier to repeat than temp surfing.
    If your shots still vary with this method, the problem is not temperature.

TC

Hi tcg,

The method I use on a vanilla Silvia is to let the machine come to full temperature (light off) and then flush. You cant make espresso with steam, so reject the flush until there is no audible spitting/fizzing and then pull the shot. Its simple really ;)

Hope it helps...

Chris

Hi, slowly getting there.. Shots are getting a bit better (worked out the grind/tamp) and my milk is coming along nicely now- I found that I was putting too much air in.

I will try the light out method tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Hi again, I also find that I get better textured milk if I let the light go out after switching to steam, bleed the wand and then steam the milk...

Overall really happy with this machine, but I can see myself outgrowing it soon 8-)

Anyone with a Silvia, I just installed a PID and man what a difference in the steam performance!

I went with the Auber/steam/pre-infusion. I like the look of the unit over the Watlow units that mount on the side of the Silvia, this one tucks up under between the steam wand and the GH.

The kit was very easy to install, it took about an hour as I was being over carefull to make sure everything was correct.

:D

I have a question... I have got the Silvia working really well for 60ml/25 sec but what if I want to pull just 30 ml (single shot)?

Should I use a single basket, put 1/2 the dose in the double basket... or??...

Quote Originally Posted by 213D30363437393032202C550 link=1264837112/9#9 date=1266579143
    I have a question... I have got the Silvia working really well for 60ml/25 sec but what if I want to pull just 30 ml (single shot)?

Should I use a *basket, put 1/2 the dose in the double basket... or??...
    I have read that the single baskets of the Silvia are useless

No dont use half dose in a double basket
    Dose as normal and use 2 cups

Drink one now and leave the other in the fridge for later on or mix with cold milk for a work beverage

KK

hey cable, with a 30ml shot only use the single if you 1/2 fill the double basket it doesnt work well.
    to be honest though the single baskets are far more temperamental, your best option is to make a double shot and drink both!!! :D :D or at least save the other shot and make a iced coffee later. ;D
    stick to the double and you will get better shots.

thanks KK it obviously took me too long to reply and you snuck in before me!! ;D ;D

WOW :o thanks for all the replies!

What are your PID temp settings guys?

Hey cable, just saw your post - it sounds like youve got your shots going nicely anyway, but I thought I would share with you that I went through a similar experience to what you reported in your OP with the same equipment and found the solution was in manually fixing the distribution of the grind in the basket.

I use a skewer to break up any balls and generally fluff the grind up a bit before using a rotating finger sweeep action for even distribution much like some well known techniques to level the basket contents.

I also bleed the wand before stretching milk like you are, however I bleed it before waiting for the light to go out. This gives me a consistantly good burst of pressure to work with for single cups.

I havent done a PID mod yet nor do I surf, but reading about it here I am quite intrigued by the possibilities for this to improve my shot consistancy further which I will say is quite good now for the double shots I pull.

Coming along good so far *8-)

Now going to work on a rosetta!

(dark splotches are koko black chocolate flakes)