Thread: Leaky Silvia - Assuming Rubber Seal - Can you help?

Leaky Silvia - Assuming Rubber Seal - Can you help?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey Snobs,
    my 7 month old Silvia is dripping water when I am extracting. I am assuming it is a seal issue. Should this be possible after 6 months of fairly light use (only 3 days each week)? What other things might be causing the problem? If it is the seal, can I just buy the part and fit one easily myself? If so, are there any tricks to removing the seal?

I have adjusted the grind, dosed differently and the drips do vary a little, but it is still a problem. Any thoughts would be helpful before contacting my local parts supplier or contacting Chris for a warranty issue.

Many thanks,

Nelo.

Re: Leaky Silvia - Assuming Rubber Seal - Can you help?

Quote Originally Posted by 4F444D4E161915210 link=1265511924/0#0 date=1265511924
    Hey Snobs,
    my 7 month old Silvia is dripping water when I am extracting.
    Dripping from where?

Dripping from around the lip of the basket. It dribbles down and drips from the centre of the spout or the grouphead (if my terminology is correct!). Hope that helps. Thanks, C.

It sounds like a group head seal

Anyway you can get one here from Di Bartoli
    http://www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=48

KK

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

the easiest way to remove the seal i found was to screw a self tapping screw into the seal and simply pull on it with a pair of plyers, it will come out easy........7 months? shouldnt be buggared yet though......coffeeparts also has them available here

regards
    warren

Generally, the seal should last more than a year, but I guess they may vary.
    Do you clean your seal regularly [ie after each session]?]
    The Leakage may be due to dirty/coffee residue on the seal.

Hi

I had a lot of trouble with water coming down the sides of Silvias group handle. *In my case it was eventually resolved - I was simply sightly overfilling the filter and the grounds against the screen prevented sufficient pressure on the seal for the seal to work.

If I make sure there is never more than a partial indent of the nut head and only a slight mark of the filter rim on the top of the grinds *I have no problem. *(I have made a scraper that I use to get the right level.)

I had considered replacing the seal but didnt - she is over 3 1/2 yrs old with the original seal. *She has been making excellent coffee again the last couple of days while Giotto is being serviced. ( To think I nearly sold her!)

David *

Ive got a very similar problem at the moment with my Rancilio S24, which I think has a similar group head to the Silvia.

Check out this thread to see what advice CSers have given me. At this stage Im thinking a spacer above the group seal might do the trick, but Ill call coffeeparts tomorrow to see what they think.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1265855567/2#2

Luwaks
    Just a heads up: the S24 and Silvia seals [whilst physically the same size] are of different densities....S24 is commercial grade and is much harder.
    Its probably ok either way in your case, but a commercial seal in a Silvia is a right pain.
    BTW, at one point I installed a spacer and new seal and found that the leak got worse.
    It sounds counter intuitive but the extra thickness [with the spacer] means that you cant twist the PF as far around.
    Spacers are really recommended for commercial machines where heavy use may have worn the brass group.

Thanks Luwaks. I too was experiencing the problem resolved in your linked thread. I have had the same resolution as Luwaks and also found Coffeeparts to be very helpful with both supplies and advice to confirm my diagnosis and avoid return trips.

I also picked up a very handy set of mini picks for 20 bucks which has changed seal replacement from a five minute battle with my flathead screwdriver to a walk in the park.

Im tempted to pull a shot now but I have a 4pm rule, so looking forward to the first shot tomorrow. Also looking forward to experimenting with the surfing techniqe Ive recently been clued into upon discovering this great site. I think I will start by pulling my shots a minute or two after light off as a rough approximation and see how that affects my consistency.

I did have a somewhat half hearted response from my Silvia retailer whom I was making inquiries with during this maintenance, but I suspect as I indicated in the other Silvia HELP (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1251018198) thread that theyd still prefer not to know about my Rancilio Silvia at the moment. Its a bit of a shame if a communication breakdown over a problem that is the fault of the manufacturer is taken to heart.

I hope we have rebuilt a good raporte for our next contact as it would be a shame to have to start over.

I am sure Ill be able to get some good advice for alternatives here though, so there is always that upside.

Quote Originally Posted by 787E69697F0C0 link=1265511924/9#9 date=1267430624
    ...I will start by pulling my shots a minute or two after light off...
    You can flush some water after light off to speed this up - just the worst of the over heated water (30-60 ml), wait a few seconds to stabilise, then lock and pull. *Also worth looking up about gronking.

only 7 months? crikey my seals over 3 years old now and going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by 7166766170776671030 link=1265511924/8#8 date=1266190877
    Luwaks
    Just a heads up: *the S24 and Silvia seals [whilst physically the same size] are of different densities....S24 is commercial grade and is much harder.
    Its probably ok either way in your case, but a commercial seal in a Silvia is a right pain.
    BTW, at one point I installed a spacer and new seal and found that the leak got worse.
    It sounds counter intuitive but the extra thickness [with the spacer] means that you cant twist the PF as far around.
    Spacers are really recommended for commercial machines where heavy use may have worn the brass group.
    The other reason you might need a spacer is if the replacement grouphead seal is not as thick as the original one, as happened with my Silvia, and couldnt lock the PF in hard enough after a seal change, cos it would go all the way round and hit the stops. Fitting a spacer above the seal fixed the problem.

However at 7 months of light use, I also suggest the most likely culprit here would be overdosing or dirty seal, as mentioned above, both relatively easy to rectify.