Thread: I need help with choosing the right model - Silvia, Sunbeam or other?

I need help with choosing the right model - Silvia, Sunbeam or other?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive done some research but cant quite decide which way I should jump....

I only need a machine for at home that wont do more than 2-4 coffees a day and rarely does multiple cups at a time. And I dont need the steamer at all as I use ricemilk which I heat in the microwave (probably means I dont qualify to be on the coffeesnob site at all!!)

Ive previously had a Gaggia which was fine but died after a couple of years and wasnt worth the huge repair bill. Have since bought 3 Breville Cafe Romas for home work and holiday house, but althought Ive been happy with the coffee they produce, they seem to be dying as soon as they are 12 months old.

Im happy to invest in a better machine but which one??

• Silvia seems to be the machine of choice, but is at very top of my price range. Some suggest you must add the PID (cant find any info on what exactly this is anywhere??) but this takes it out of my price range. Also some people indicate a problem with Silvia producing a burnt taste (which I hate). Also sounds like you have to train yourself up in how to work the machine and Im not sure I have the time or energy if it is too fiddly....

• Sunbeam models seem to not be reliable longer term for many people - dont know that I can face multiple repair trips

seems that an automatic is a bad idea due to the number of parts which can break down

Doesnt seem to be as much info on other brands..

A few mentions of Lelit having a combo for around $850 - are these OK?

Is there a sponsor in Brisbane northside I should talk to??

:-/
        Help me please!!!

Caffeine Junky

Re: I need help with choosing the right model - Silvia, Sunbeam or other?

Hi LuLu,

Speaking to a sponsor is definitely a great place to start.

First question most on here will ask is do you have a grinder? If you dont already you should budget for one as its the only way to get a truly good cup.

I own both a 6910 and a Lelit (branded as a Quaha but same machine). *Both are capable of making an excellent cup of coffee. *The big advantage of the Sunbeam is that you can brew & steam at the same time. *It also has more steaming power for texturing more milk at a time. *Wth the Lelit you have to brew first the wait for the boiler to heat up for brewing.

Have you ever tried texturing rice milk with steam? *Ive had no experience myself but would say its worth a try.

Considering your usage, steam power is not important so I would lean towards the Lelit or Silvia. *These machines will offer greater reliability and longevity. Any machine needs to be well cared for of course to get the most out of it.

Its not essential to PID a Silvia, just follow a few basic rules to extract at the optimal time. Lots of information about that.

I second the Lelit......
    Although I have only had mine a couple of days.....it makes awesome coffee and I love the added grinder in my Combi unit.......well worth the $$$...
    I have read on this forum and others that the 6910 is either a hit or miss with ongoing issues even though it seems to be a good unit if your one of the lucky ones........a work collegue has the 6910 without any troubles for 2 years........

Personally, I would pick the large 3 litre & brass boiler hence the Lelit was my preference......:)

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 576667707B7A76130 link=1265516257/2#2 date=1265881031
    Personally, I would pick the large 3 litre brass boiler hence the Lelit was my preference......
    :-?

Quote Originally Posted by 4A4E687171746B7C731D0 link=1265516257/3#3 date=1265881523
    Quote Originally Posted by 576667707B7A76130 link=1265516257/2#2 date=1265881031
    Personally, I would pick the large 3 litre brass boiler hence the Lelit was my preference...... *
    :-?
    I think Dutchie has been having too many coffees Warren. ;D The Lelit has a 3 litre water reservoir, not a 3 litre boiler.

ooops yeah, me thinks so too......already had 3 tonight just with experimentations.......sorry, i left of the word &....... :D