Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lelit Combi

Lelit Combi

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After nearly a fortnight off reviewing and reading all your wonderful reviews with + and -s of multiple machines, I am now thinking of the Lelit Combi for my needs......

We mostly drink Latte & Chinos, and probably or 3 or 4 during a serve.
    In other words, make coffee for 3 or 4 friends who come over.....

Would this unit suit my needs to make 4 coffees in under 3 or 4 minutes??
    My budget is max $750 - $800 and this includes the grinder......

cheers

Re: Lelit Combi

Hi Dutchie

Ill send you a link via pm that describes how to make 6 coffees at a time with the Lelit.

Chris of Talk Coffee is your closest Sponsor supplier of these machines.

Cheers!

i think the 4 in 4 mins is a bit quick, maybe 4 in 8-10 mins

issue i feel is you are going to need to refill the boiler after the 1st 2 coffees are made (after you have steamed the milk for the 1st 2)

then refill boiler and make 2nd 2 then steam milk for 2nd 2

part of the issue is after steaming the 1st 2 when you refill the boiler and you might have to wait for the boiler to reheat up to brew temp. it does not take long as it is HOT from steaming. It might actually need to cool down a bit to brew temp

of course based on the answer by Cuppacoffee i may be way off........ :)

Quote Originally Posted by 363A333E3E375B0 link=1265536548/2#2 date=1265538194
    i think the 4 in 4 mins is a bit quick, maybe 4 in 8-10 mins
    Hi Leeham - the record stands at 5 minutes 38 seconds for SIX cappuccinos, though the coffee had been ground prior to starting the stopwatch.

Quote Originally Posted by 4452575746444841414242270 link=1265536548/3#3 date=1265538663
    though the coffee had been ground prior to starting the stopwatch.
    :o

Ha ha, no Leeham. It was approx. 50gm from the built in Lux grinder.

Is that pic from your personal stash? :P ;D

TC

Im thinking of a new thread entitled: "Uses for this". Of course, none of them would involve actually having to drink the stuff *;D

gald you see the joke :)

but in a serious note, is the built in lux grinder the same as what is in the "Titan Grinder Project: Can it Beat the Mazzer Robur?" on HB?
    (google that Dutchie if your interested)

it scored very well in taste tests performed in that test, and many say it is a good little grinder. assuming that it is makes it a very credible machine in my mind (based on very limited experience really)

sorry to go a little off topic Dutchie
    Leeham

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6C606964646D010 link=1265536548/7#7 date=1265539945
    is the built in lux grinder the same as what is in the "Titan Grinder Project: Can it Beat the Mazzer Robur?" on HB?
    I am checking to see if my beans crushed between a couple of house bricks can beat a Robur as well ::)

hahaha thanks guys......Im in talks now with Chris as we speak...:)

Forgot to ask two more things,
    My wife also likes a good cup of tea, will the steam wand also provide good hot water? AND we have a simple bench water purifier. Should we use the water from here or straight from the tap??

Perhaps stupid questions but I;ve tried looking on Google and cannot find much, or any specifications either on the Lelit Combi (which I have just purchased from Chris and will pick up tomorrow....:)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 172627303B3A36530 link=1265536548/10#10 date=1265546571
    My wife also likes a good cup of tea, will the steam wand also provide good hot water?ANDwe have a simple bench water purifier. Should we use the water from here or straight from the tap??

Thats a job for a kettle IMHO dutchie. Empty the boiler and you risk cooking an element and an account for repairs....

Have a read over http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1245022812 Tap water is no go and your drinking water filter will not do a good job either. Just yesterday I saw a machine from Baccus Marsh and found more scale barnacles in it than there are on the Titanic! One of the worst cases of scale I have seen.

Chris

ummmm no tap water and no filter water.........whats left?? *Distilled water which I do have and use to make my Collodial Silver.......:)

Good read also Chris........mmmm might look at my water filter during the week and see what it takes out...

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 714041565D5C50350 link=1265536548/13#13 date=1265547271
    ummmm no tap water and no filter water.........whats left?? *Distilled water which I do have and use to make my Collodial Silver.......:)
    Definitely not! There is no better way to kill a machine. Best bet is to read the article and get an appropriate coffee filter. This can replace an underbench filter, a fridge filter if your fridge is plumbed or we can provide a kit which can just attach to a spare tap somewhere if required.

Chris

We have a Stefani 9000S above sink filter for which you can get about 20 different filters with different strengths etc....we use this to fill our kettle and have zero scale anywhere in the kettle....currently using a middle grade filter pod......wife will die if i told her Im spending more money or the coffee machine (which I havent yet broken to her yet)......

The Stefani is attached above the kitchen bench and attaches straight to the tap, funnelled into its own housing and the housing has its own tap after the water goes through the filter process........

Re: Lelit Combi - need advice

Need help with my Lelit Combi.

Chris has sold me the above unit and all credit for spending time with me today explaining everything.

I have a couple more questions but dont want to hassle Chris.
    My filter holder does not align correctly with the pourer outlets and it seems a tight fit to the filter holder. Do I need to pull this really tightly to the right hand side so it is straight?
    Secondly, the single cup and pod cup cannot fit easily in my filter holder.
    And sits only a couple of millimetres into the holder and too tight to push down.
    Lastly, i dont seem to have the two cup attachment. Is this built into the actual filter holder?

sorry for the dumb questions.....

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 15242532393834510 link=1265536548/16#16 date=1265609175
    My filter holder does not align correctly with the pourer outlets and it seems a tight fit to the filter holder. Do I need to pull this really tightly to the right hand side so it is straight?
    Hi Dutchie- this is normal. It will wear in with time.

Quote Originally Posted by 15242532393834510 link=1265536548/16#16 date=1265609175
    Secondly, the single cup and pod cup cannot fit easily in my filter holder.
    Use the double while you are learning! Very few baristi use a single and its much more challenging!

And sits only a couple of millimetres into the holder and too tight to push down.
    Check the spring is correctly located. It should be a tight fit

astly, i dont seem to have the two cup attachment. Is this built into the actual filter holder?
    :-? Do you mean the double basket? Its normally installed in the group handle.

rgds

Chris

hahah thanks Chris.....yeah I guess its called a basket and had a feeling it was built into the group handle.....not only learning to make proper coffee but also a new language.

At the moment the group handle is in tight but still a bit crooked and means the cups will be not looking straight sitting on the SS cup rest....

Chris, before I forget, thanks again for your wonderful service and helpfull advice......about to plug it on now...... :-?

Lastly (fingers crossed) I noticed the steam/hot water tube only moves from left/right and not up or down. On my unit, it means the tube misses the water tray........is this correct? and instead need to use a cup?

Chris, my group handle does not have any springs and both the single and pod basket just do not fit the group handle at all. They seem too large and cannot be pushed into the group handle......rather it sits loosely on top....i also presume the pod basket is what i need to use to backflush the unit so this I am also unable to do.....

Please advise......
    cheers

Im such a twit.......i realized the double was already sitting into the group handle and you need to remove it it fit the other unit.........what an idiot...!! :P

Panic for nothing.........

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 271617000B0A06630 link=1265536548/21#21 date=1265610566
    Im such a twit.......i realized the double was already sitting into the group handle and you need to remove it it fit the other unit.........what an idiot...!! :P

BUCK Fever ;D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 073637202B2A26430 link=1265536548/21#21 date=1265610566

Quote Originally Posted by 17222F281C002C25252626430 link=1265536548/17#17 date=1265609480
    Dutchie wrote on Today at 17:06:
    Lastly, i dont seem to have the two cup attachment. Is this built into the actual filter holder?

Do you mean the double basket? Its normally installed in the group handle.
    OH NO! Groundhog day!! *:o

Glad youre up and running Dutchie. Dont forget that the coffee goes in the group handle :P ;D

Enjoy....

Chris

Yeah yeah........:)

Wasted 4 cups so far and still no good......running out too quickly so either too course I guess or not compacted enough into the group holder.
    Wife teasing me each time.....there goes another $3 dollars in coffee beans..........hahaha

Quicky.........with this unit.........the grinder, the higher the number on the degree scale the courses the grind and thus lower means finer?
    I tried a setting of 1 but was still running through rather quickly and nothing from what you poured me Chris.........:(

Am I doing something wrong??
    Can I also top up the water whilst the unit is plugged on?

Quote Originally Posted by 437273646F6E62070 link=1265536548/21#21 date=1265610566
    Im such a twit.......i realized the double was already sitting into the group handle and you need to remove it it fit the other unit.........what an idiot...!!
    Sounds like an old computer help desk call:
    "I cant get the floppy disk to fit into the drive; the first one went in OK and the second one was a tight fit but this one wont go in at all".

Quote Originally Posted by 437273646F6E62070 link=1265536548/24#24 date=1265613292
    I tried a setting of 1 but was still running through rather quickly
    Are you using fresh coffee?

Hi Thundergod........

I believe so, got it from Chris today when I purchased the unit......
    My setting on the grinder is 1.......still runs reasonably fast but this time (cup number 8) not like before. I also noticed clear water running underneath the group handle. Does this mean I have filed it too much with coffee??

So many questions and sooo high on coffee now?? (dont worry i have only drunk 3 of them)...

And finally, after I have made a cino, there wereseveral occassions when the steam light came on when doing the milk. Do i then stop and only continue when the steam light switches off again?

The same applied to the water, if using the hot water and suddenly the light comes on, do i stop pouring the hot water until the light switches off again.......??

And finally, once I make a coffee, do I quickly run hot water through the head and again through the steam tube to rinse it and allow fresh water into the boiler?
    Once done, I assume its ok to leave the machine on for several hours assuming Im at home and enough water is in the container?

Apologies again for all the questions....so worried of breaking her...this unit is so different to my old Breville Cafe Roma.....(which did alright for 6 years)

Any advice on above please would be greatly appreciated...

Also I got all mixed up with the steam dial and turned it fully open whilst the light was on thinking I had it switched off........took it out of the milk and was still spewing steam over the kitchen.....ooops.

Thankfully it is still working as I waited a couple of minutes and tried again. Would this have caused damage? My water container was still half full.........all this is not easy......especially when wife is watching and pressure is on.....please someone answer the above questions so I can relax and chill...... :-[

Anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by 54656473787975100 link=1265536548/26#26 date=1265628370
    Anyone???
    Relax
    Take a big breath

1) Is your coffee grinds about the size of (table)salt granules or smaller ??

2) Are you putting in enough coffee in the filter basket
    * The level should be for a tamped puck just 0.5mm under the water dispersion screen on the group head * When fully locked in.

3) Are you tamping hard enough

I would rather see you choke up the machine with to fine a grind or tamp pressure
    and work up from there

KK

Yeah doing all that Kosmo........at the moment Im not that worried about the coffee but probably more concerned about the lights coming on and off when I am using the machine. Do I continue steaming etc when the lights come back on etc.....and lastly about the grinder setting on these units. I assume 1 is the finest grain setting??

I guess I need answers from someone who knows the Lelit Combi unit.
    I know and realise my questions are very stupid. Its just that Im worried about stuffing up my heater/boiler....

Send Chris a PM and arrange a phone service call

I find its best to convey the message of an operational nature in this way

And when the penny drops you wont look back
    Pretty soon you will be advising others ;)

KK

Might leave it for know.......i think im tired and this has been confusing the situation.
    I understand the light comes on when it is heating.....I just wasnt sure you can continue steaming etc when this light is on for the few seconds.
    Aparantley the answer is yes you can..........this part was not mentioned in the manual........all is good.......:)

Ohh the grind is about sand quality too.......:)

Hi Dutchie

Your Lelit machine is very similar in operation to a Silva [both use a single boiler for brew and steaming]

Approximate 1/2 of the internet ;D is taken up with very useful information on the Silvia, spend a bit of time [ but not too much as it does your head in] and you will gain more confidence in operation.

Learning to make great coffee is a journey, it takes time and the goalposts keep moving, but the end result gets better and bettter....good luck with it.

Hi Dutchie

I have had a LeLit for the past 3 years and it does make great coffee.

• Grinder setting. Mine is usually between 3 and 4 however this probably has no relevance to your machine as each are different. Check grind size.
    • Dose. Over the years I have settled on a 19g dose for the double basket. When tamped properly this is perfect.
    • Boiler light. This is just an indication that the boiler element is turned on. When steaming it is usual to turn on during the process
    • Flushing. I always run water through the group after a shot. This helps keep the group clean. I always run water through the steam arm after steaming. Open steam arm, turn off steam, turn on pump. Run until only water.

The best advice though is just to practice. Make one change at a time and test the results.

Enjoy the journey

Sunny Coaster

I, too, own a Lelit Combi (early model - no three way valve) which I bought from AF twelve years ago. *Regular flushing & cleaning has resulted in zero issues. I have replaced the grinder burrs but no internals. *It has done 2/3 coffees a day for that time. *Try that with a Chinese machine. *My only issue is my own laziness - I tend to leave some beans in the grinder (it is difficult to empty) warm environments ie adjacent to boilers are not recommended.

I make coffee for a living so the Lelit is my heart starter machine & I have never got over just how good it is. *Although I am currently lusting after the Ponte Vecchio Lusso. Im in love with the idea of low pressure pre-infusion this could be the poor mans Slayer.

Thanks guys.......apologies again for my panic.
    I was actually having a terrible day with my father also rushed back to hospital in the afternoon after being in their for 2 weeks couple of weeks ago. Infectious bug entered his bloodstream and heart nd they cannot identify the bug.......

Anyway, its assuring this feedback and I appreciate all the comments especially those from Chris whom I hassled a bit with PMs.......

I had an heated talk when I walked in Gloria Jeans this afternoon before going to the hospital. I looked at their beans and noticed non had a roasting date but instead had a use by date for April 2010.

I mentioned that this is not fresh but the so called GJ expert commented that it was until April....... :D WTF !!!

[QUOTE=5E6F6E7972737F1A0 link=1265536548/34#34 date=1265703987]
    Quote Originally Posted by 5E6F6E7972737F1A0 link=1265536548/34#34 date=1265703987
    I mentioned that this is not fresh but the so called GJ expert commented that it was until April....... :D *WTF !!!
    GJs would have to be the very worst of the major coffee franchises when it comes to freshness (& preparation for that matter). It is somewhat amusing then that their advertising/marketing is the most superfluous.

Buy fresh (from a sponsor of course), or better still roast your own...

Yeah agree but at this early stage, I wont roast my own just yet.
    Several friends are doing this already and one is actually roasting green beans successfully in a popcorn machine...... :D

Quote Originally Posted by 6F5E5F4843424E2B0 link=1265536548/36#36 date=1265710795
    one is actually roasting green beans successfully in a popcorn machine
    Thats how a lot of us started.

mmm so what do you use to make popcorn.......?? ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 1D2C2D3A31303C590 link=1265536548/38#38 date=1265715093
    mmm so what do you use to make popcorn.......?? *;D
    The microwave.

Good comeback...........infact, that popcorn my kids love when we have movey nights.......ummmm (sipping a great latte right now)...wouldnt mind some nice buttered popcorn now.......

Lelit Combi grinder cleaning question

How do you clean the grinder and how often........?
    Is there a need to clean it and how often.....?

I know the beans can leave oil but how do you clean the grinder in the Lelit Combi??

And lastly, I have a few left over beans off a particular brand and type...
    Since they were the last, I now have new roaster beans of a different kind. Do I need to empty the grinder of the left over beans?
    And if so, is there a easy way to get them out of the beanholder in the grinder which seems fixed/screwed into my grinder??

Quote Originally Posted by 0A3B3A2D26272B4E0 link=1265536548/38#38 date=1265715093
    mmm so what do you use to make popcorn.......?? *
    Saucepan.

Greg

ohhhh I was about to laugh if you had said a roaster.......!! ;D ;D ;D

Re: Lelit Combi grinder cleaning question

Anyone???

Greg Pullman used to own a similar machine and Im sure he posted a How-To for this on CS some time in the past (a couple of years back at least) so a search might turn this up.... :)

Mal.

thanks Mal........

Tried that already in the search but only gave me a page of posts.......
    Is the search facility a good way to search for posts??

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 5C6D6C7B70717D180 link=1266021636/3#3 date=1266391993
    Is the search facility a good way to search for posts??
    Yes, it is, just make sure you change the default from "week" to "all posts" (at the bottom)

if that fails, chech this out.......

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1257241858

;)
    warren

Gday Bean,
    The hopper on my Quaha just lifts out but you have to mark where it comes from as there is no locating pin and the numbers are on it not the grinder. the other part that might need cleaning is the outlet spout. I think I might have used a paper towel to wipe mine out but normally left in the not worth worrying about pile as I only put enough beans in for the coffee I am about to make, that way they wont go stale.
    I hope this helps,
    Thomas

Help with Lelit please !!!

OK, I poured coffee and everything fine but then when I needed to pour another after about 30 seconds, no water was going through the head at all and heard steam kinda coming out. I stopped the water at this point.
    I then waited about 1 minute and switched the water on again and water proceeded coming through again.......

After 3 weeks of the machine, I never had this before. Is this normal??
    I didnt damage the boiler in any way did I, as there seemed enough water in the container??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast