Thread: My Silvia is peeling and cracking...

My Silvia is peeling and cracking...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Wondering why the area around the group head is starting to peel and crack. I am careful when I insert the GH so not sure why this would happen.

Is it fixable?

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: My Silvia is peeling and cracking...

Hey tashie,

Not too sure "why" its doing it but it is repairable, it needs to be re-plated by electrolysis, google electroplating services in your area and youll find someone, and it shouldnt be too expensive either....maybe you could dip the whole silvia! 8-)

Oh wow, I could get Silvia plated in Rose Gold if I was feeling extravagant. Seeing as shes a girl, I think shed like that :)

Ha ha, i saw an expobar i think it was that was dipped in 18 carat gold and copper? or some thing like that, ill see if i can find the pic......very impressive.......and totally pimped 8-)

Just on a side note tash, how did the PID go?

cheers
    warren

EDIT: Found it, E-61 dipped in 18 carat gold, rest in copper, then the whole thing is sprayed with a clear enamel to protect it......WOW :o

That looks like the chrome is peeling--and it shouldnt if the machine is fairly new. If it is still under warranty Id be talking to the vendor.

I also suspect it is mostly cosmetic so if it is not warranteed then either "dont worry, be happy" or go for the Rose Gold. :D

Greg

DiBartoli have the repacement part for $40, mine is doing it as well, but as she will soon be going to a new home Im not going to bother with the replacement it as it is only cosmetic, annoying but cosmetic.

Wow, now that is bling! Definitely something to aspire to, though plating the machine in gold might cost as much as the machine!

And they pimped out the GH too, nice!

Warren: Didnt end up PIDing as I chickened out, looked waaay to complicated for a girl like me.

Greg: Its not under warranty anymore unfortunately, but I think I will stick with the dont worry be happy philosophy.

Looks like coffeemum had a similar issue, maybe its a Silvia thing.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2D382A31303C590 link=1266114559/0#0 date=1266114559
    Wondering why the area around the group head is starting to peel and crack. I am careful when I insert the GH so not sure why this would happen.

Is it fixable?
    Why = Poor preparation prior to chroming process... Sb had teh same problem on some of teh collars..

Fix = Replace or Remove said part and get it prepared correctly (Sand blast etc) and then re chromed..

At the end of teh day... It is only Looks...

Then again how old is it ? Should not happen except with age...

TC

This plakky fake chrome finish was incorporated into the 08 *:-/ upgrade of the Silvia and the flaking seems to happen to a lot of them in time.

I reckon it was a way for Rancilio to get a few euro out of the cost of the machine over the really trooly brushed metal finish on the earlier models.

One has to wonder what will happen if/when the extra plakky bits they have added to the 09 update start to fall off as well...

Just goes to prove that bling is not everything when it comes to the Silvia....::)

Quote Originally Posted by 497C7176425E727B7B78781D0 link=1266114559/8#8 date=1266132037
    This plakky fake chrome finish was incorporated into the 08 *:-/ upgrade of the Silvia and the flaking seems to happen to a lot of them in time.

I reckon it was a way for Rancilio to get a few euro out of the cost of the machine over the really trooly brushed metal finish on the earlier models.

One has to wonder what will happen if/when the extra plakky bits they have added to the 09 update start to fall off as well...

Just goes to prove that bling is not everything when it comes to the Silvia....::)
    well well my mistake! My Silvia was 05 so didnt have the placky ring.......I cant believe its plastic! I had a laugh disregard everything I said about electrolysis tashie! Wont work with plastic. I imagine I could still be dipped but as CM said $40 isnt too much ;)

So I cant have a Rose Gold Silvia? :(

Mine is only 1.5 years old!

The same thing is happening to mine (around 1.5 years) and though it does not make a difference to the coffee, I hate it.

DiBartoli is out of stock for the replacement part, is there anywhere else people have seen them? I have done a fair google but nothing is coming up.

Or even better, can the older metal part be purchased and fitted to the newer machine to replace the plastic part?

It is the only letdown I have had with Silvia.

Mine is about a 1.5 years old but hasnt started peeling yet... although Im expecting it to.
    It would be interesting to know if the older style metal shroud fits the newer plastic silvias

I managed to get mine replaced as I had contacted them before the 12 months was up.

Mods can delete this if it is not o.k. but Grinders (head office) in Fairfield are the importers and they have them, not sure what they cost or what they are like to deal with for remote sales, but may be worth a try if DiBartoli cant help.

Site Sponsor

Covers are back in stock again.

http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product_details.asp?pid=406

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

I'm in the process of stripping a V3 Silvia down to fit a pid.

Whilst I'm at it, I've removed the plastic group cover, and its in the same condition as that of the OP.

What are the thoughts on leaving it naked?
    It looks kind of industrial with all that brass showing, and to my eyes it looks better than the peeling chrome.
    Is there likely to be much heat loss at the group head? Other than that, I can't see a reason to keep it on.

I took the "flakey" chrome plastic cover off mine several months ago.
    I polished up the brass group and it looks great..call it a " Naked Group" !
    It has not affected the performance at all ( PID on mine also )

Quote Originally Posted by gronk62 View Post
    It would be interesting to know if the older style metal shroud fits the newer plastic silvias
    Was there even a group shroud on pre '08 silvia's ?
    From the pictures i have seen it looks like its just a plated group head.
    Silvia.2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    Was there even a group shroud on pre '08 silvia's ?
    From the pictures i have seen it looks like its just a plated group head.
    Silvia.2.jpg
    Its a piece of stainless formed into the shape and fixed in place by folding some tabs over the top of the group, I think it wasn't switched to plastic only to save money but because of the difference in shape at the top of the group when they redesigned to be pod compatible.

for those interested , this is my silvia with the "Tacky Placky" group cover removed and the brass group polished up.