Thread: Nuova Simonelli Oscar ?? Any recommendations ?

Nuova Simonelli Oscar ?? Any recommendations ?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys - first post on here. We are looking at buying a sub $1500 machine here in Brisbane and have seen the Nuova Simonelli Oscar which we are quite interested in. I want something that is not a thermo block and something with good steaming capacity. Can anyone recommend this machine or any thing in this league. Thanks guys.

Caffeine Junky

Re: Nuova Simonelli Oscar ?? Any recommendations ?

Hi and welcome to the site. I just got my hands on an Oscar a couple of days ago so only have limited experience.

I bought it for the office and use a Giotto at home. The obvious difference between the 2 is the package - lots of shiny stainless steel in the Giotto, while the Oscar is all plastic.

I have not done a side by side comparison but so far would say te Oscar is capable of producing an equally excellent shot. Steam power is huge, even more than the Giotto. That could be because the Oscar has a 4-hole steam tip.

The Oscar is the cheapest HX machine on the market. Others start at around $2K.

Other options?

1. High quality non-HX machine such as the Vibiemme Domobar Junior or Diadema Perfetta. Perfect if you are only going to make 2 coffees at time. Not so good if you do a lot of entertaining.

2. Second hand well-cared-for HX machine.

3. Something a little different?
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1265525881

Also, do you have a grinder?

Quote Originally Posted by 26272D3E20253F4C0 link=1266141159/1#1 date=1266148310
    Steam power is huge, even more than the Giotto. That could be because the Oscar has a 4-hole steam tip.
    Also has a 2L boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by 4247425E461B1B1C2B0 link=1266141159/0#0 date=1266141159
    or any thing in this league. *
    Barazi has a used Bezerra BZ02S http://www.barazi.com.au/Newsflash/s...years-old-1250

are there any of the sponsors who actually sell the oscar?

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 51455E5C56595E5A370 link=1266141159/3#3 date=1266154974
    Tonino Lamborghini Caffe
    Jetblack Espresso

Quote Originally Posted by 63776C6E646B6C68050 link=1266141159/3#3 date=1266154974

Quote Originally Posted by 75747E6D73766C1F0 link=1266141159/4#4 date=1266189966
    Tonino Lamborghini Caffe
    Jetblack Espresso *
    Also Coffee-A-Roma

Caffeine Junky

Ah yes, forgot they were sponsors.

Just tried making myself another flat white on the newly-acquired Oscar. Shots are great but still struggling with trying to create microfoam. It took me a good month or more on the Giotto, I thought after that it would be easy learning on any HX machine. More practice I guess....

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 5B5A50435D5842310 link=1266141159/1#1 date=1266148310
    Other options?

1. High quality non-HX machine such as the Vibiemme Domobar Junior or Diadema Perfetta.Perfect if you are only going to make 2 coffees at time. Not so good if you do a lot of entertaining.
    The junior is a HX. Its the Piccolo youre probably thinking of.

charlie

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 35343E2D33362C5F0 link=1266141159/6#6 date=1266191748
    Just tried making myself another flat white on the newly-acquired Oscar. Shots are great but still struggling with trying to create microfoam. *It took me a good month or more on the Giotto, I thought after that it would be easy learning on any HX machine. *More practice I guess....
    I dont normally quote myself but just wanted to follow up on my milk texturing issues with the Oscar. I replaced the 4-hole tip with a 2-hole tip from Coffee Parts (#614723-A). Just needed a tiny bit of PTFE tape to get a good seal. Good news is that I am now getting wonderful creamy, shiny microfoam again.

Apologies guys - I thought I had subscribed to the thread and I never got any emails to say people had responded !!

Well, still waiting on Di Bella coffee in Brisbane to get the Oscars in stock so did a bit more digging today. I saw the Bezzara recommendation and had a chat to the dealer in Brisbane. They have a second hand serviced BZ99 for around the same sort of money as the Oscar. Thoughts / suggestions ?

This is the Bezzera:
    http://www.barazi.com.au/Bezzera-Cof...9-single-group

Now, these guys in Brisbane have the Oscar WITH a Nuova Simonelli grinder for $1405:
    http://www.hospitalitywholesale.com....o-machine.html

I dont know much about that grinder but I will need to buy one which ever way I go.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 686D68746C313136010 link=1266141159/9#9 date=1270110806
    Apologies guys - I thought I had subscribed to the thread and I never got any emails to say people had responded !!

Well, still waiting on Di Bella coffee in Brisbane to get the Oscars in stock so did a bit more digging today. I saw the Bezzara recommendation and had a chat to the dealer in Brisbane. They have a second hand serviced BZ99 for around the same sort of money as the Oscar. Thoughts / suggestions ?

This is the Bezzera:
    http://www.barazi.com.au/Bezzera-Cof...9-single-group

Now, these guys in Brisbane have the Oscar WITH a Nuova Simonelli grinder for $1405:
    http://www.hospitalitywholesale.com....o-machine.html

I dont know much about that grinder but I will need to buy one which ever way I go.
    giggled like a schoolgirl..

That is Buy the Machine ~ $1400 , buy the Grinder *~$400 *= $1800 and get 3 kg of stale beans. (unless they are green)

The machine is fine.. *The offer is on line - try to get support when ya need it, may be there may be not, may be a RTB and long wait times...

Go the sponsors over that offer.

Ha - I read the ad wrong. Anyway, I would rather buy from somewhere I can get some help, main reason why I wanted it from Di Bella in Brisbane but I have been waiting for them to organise a shipment since Feb. They just keep stringing out the delivery dates citing shipping delays from Italy. Funny how others seem to be able to get stock. Anyways, Im not really upset about it, just want to find somewhere to buy a machine for a reasonable price.

Welcome "ilium007"... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

For my money, I would be going with the Bezzera BZ-99... They are a terrific machine, well designed, great engineering and capable of producing excellent espresso so long as you do your part. Backed up by one of our Site Sponsors makes the purchase even that much better of course. The Oscar is a great machine at that price-point for sure, but compared to the BZ-99, I think the Bezz beats it by quite a decent margin... 8-)

Mal.

Its just that at $2k the BZ99 brand new is out of my reach. Its either a new Oscar or a used BZ99. I probably should have said that earlier.

I make it $400.00 for the Grinta & $1281.36 or $1372.57 for the Oscar I suppose the cheaper price is for the black one. Buy both and you get the beans thrown in.
    Theres been a few Oscar threads here, its worth doing a search. If I recall correctly they need to be set up properly by the dealer to get the most out of them, change of basket and pressurestat adjustment if I remember correctly. Pressurestat adjustment is probably easier said than done without a gauge. Brew pressure runs high on these machines the OPV is on the group head and bleeds off hot brew water it also serves to protect the HX but it is not intended to be adjustable, Oscar also lacks a vacuum breaker.
    These machines are popular in Europe, where fitting a second OPV after the pump and a vacuum breaker are common mods.
    Big disclaimer here this post is the result of armchair research NOT personal experience :)

arghghghg

OPV

Pressurestat

Vacuum Breaker

I need to do some more reading !!! I thought I knew it all :-/

OK so I now understand the vacuum breaker - can fit one of these easy enough if I want to put the machine on a timer (which I would like to do). The OPV seems a bit more of a complex topic, channeling through the puck etc etc. Not sure if my skills are good enough to worry about this, but I may as well investigate all of this before making a purchase.

What are the Isomac machines like - I have seen a lot of reference to these in my searches.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2F2A2F332B767671460 link=1266141159/16#16 date=1270199704
    OK so I now understand the vacuum breaker - can fit one of these easy enough if I want to put the machine on a timer (which I would like to do). The OPV seems a bit more of a complex topic, channeling through the puck etc etc. Not sure if my skills are good enough to worry about this, but I may as well investigate all of this before making a purchase.

What are the Isomac machines like - I have seen a lot of reference to these in my searches.
    1: Check ya PMs

2: Have 4 or 5 units at home and ya welcome to come and look and learn.

3: Then go and visit a couple of the sponsors.

4: Some hands on and seeing whats in side etc can assist / but it can confuse.

Any of teh machines mentioned; if set up correctly will perform very well and should not require you, to muck around trying to fit extras etc and be in areas that only experienced people should be ..

Keeps the process simple and makes sure you and others are safe.

AM

Site Sponsor

Ilium007 congratulations on making the decision to purchase a new machine for home. Trust me it will be worth the sleepless nights reading and comparing at the end of it once you have it on your bench!

Seeing your based in Brisbane we would be happy to have you out to our showroom for a coffee and play with some of our machines. No obligation other then you have to try numerous coffees before you walk out the door. *;D Our Roastery is based out of Yatala. Feel free to make an appointment to visit.

Re your situation you should be able to source a BZ99 easily under the 2k mark and with training and accessories (well we do anyway *;D.)

I noticed you said however that this potentially out of the budget. Another machine to throw into the mix if the budget is a issue would be the Expobar Office Semi Auto circa $1,600.

Youve got a few options open to you re grinders as well, again heavily dependent on your budget and intended use.

Youve got a great resource via snobs and had some good advice so far!

If you would like to have a chat about your options feel free to call me on 0410 292 962 or (07) 3801 8989. Yes we are available across the Easter weekend.

Happy Easter! *:)

arghghghg

OPV

Pressurestat

Vacuum Breaker
    Not all machines are fitted with a OPV we have come to expect one to be fitted however there is a school of thought they are not strictly necessary for pulling a double. the Elektra Semiautomatica comes to mind as a machine without a OPV, the Isomac Venus has one on the boiler with the OPV pressure set on the high side.
    The Vacuum breaker also is something we have come to expect but also not strictly necessary venting false pressure off with the steam knob will suffice, however the vacuum breaker will prevent vacuum pressure on the seals and prevent vacuum sucking milk into the boiler via the steam wand. A few years back Olympia improved the Cremina with a vacuum breaker they ended up removing it, Cremina owners preferred the traditional method of venting off the false pressure with the steam knob.
    Pressurestat unless they have changed it Oscar is fitted with a commercial Quality Sirai.
    What I am getting at is not to dismiss the Oscar prematurely some things have been deleted but it does have a big boiler and I havent read any negative comment about the plastic case except for the silver which is a painted finish. Personally I think it represents good value it just depends on what your looking for and how much money you have to throw at it.
    Best have a talk to a sponsor who carries it and get their opinion.