Thread: Gaggia Classic Steam Wand Leaking

Gaggia Classic Steam Wand Leaking

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have Gaggia Classic with Silvia Wand attachment fitted and had some water drips from wand tip which wasnt too bad. I fiited an extra o ring but now the water is running down the steam arm and steam prssure is not as good as it was. I removed the extra o ring but no difference. I have a schematic of the Gaggia Classic but not sure were the trouble lies - is there another washer/o ring that seals the where the water comes from the boiler which could cause the leak. I am trying to avoid having to take it in *for a service.

Thanks

Site Sponsor

Re: Gaggia Classic Steam Wand Leaking

water drips from wand tip

Unfortunately, sounds like your steam valve.

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

How did you connect the silvia wand? Did you use a dedicated brass joiner such as that provided by Di Bartoli?

Quote Originally Posted by 434B44424A1015210 link=1266628779/2#2 date=1266644807
    How did you connect the silvia wand? Did you use a dedicated brass joiner such as that provided by Di Bartoli?
    No - I didnt know this existed. Most posts on this site refer to sanding down the Sivia wand to get it to fit on the Gaggia. Also as the Sivia wand has been fitted for over 12 months without any trouble it is probably irrelevant.

Currentlly I have now put two o rings on the wand and seems ok but dont know how long it will last - time will tell

Regards

I would try getting your hands on one of the joiners, even from someone on here as a test (where are you located?). It could be that wear and tear over the 12 months has damaged the seal.

Quote Originally Posted by 272F20262E7471450 link=1266628779/4#4 date=1266672152
    I would try getting your hands on one of the joiners, even from someone on here as a test (where are you located?). It could be that wear and tear over the 12 months has damaged the seal
    Location Blackburn ,Melbourne ,Vic

Are joiners east to fit and would they fix the problem ?

Not sure having looked under the bonnet if the leak is coming from the steam valve - it doesnt appear so but the heat would soon dry up any obvious signs of water leaks inside the machine.

Where is the seal located that you refer to ?

Regards

Cool. Well unfortunately you cant borrow mine, but the joiners are super easy to fit, but not properly knowing the problem, I cant 100% say that would fix the problem. But if you think the leak is from the seal between the top of the silvia wand and lower end of the brass steam valve, then I would suggest it would fix the problem. It does however reduce the height of the steam wand which can be frustrating.

You maybe interested in the outcome to the leaking and running out of steam in the Gaggia. It wasnt the steam valve or the where the Sivia wand was fitted onto the gaggia brass pipe connection. I learned the very painful way from having it serviced. The machine just needed a good descale . Which had I known I could have done myself- it cost $143!!! - very steep. I didnt think the water in Melbourne would have caused this but now I know better.

From anybodys *information - worth considering before thinking other things maybe wrong

Regards,

Gussy