Thread: Silvia + Rocky Combo questions

Shu

Silvia + Rocky Combo questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys, 1st post...

Ive decided i might pick up a Rancilio Silvia and Rocky package. My only issue is ease of use and speed when making multiple drinks.

We currently have just a sunbeam em6910, and to be honest it is incredibly easy to use, and regardless what you do, its somewhat impossible to actually damage it. From glossing over this forum over the past few weeks, i gather that the silvia is a little bit more hands on, and slower at making, say 3 flat whites(pretty much standard in my household).

I was just wondering, if any of you make 3 milk based drinks at the same time, and roughly how long does it take you?
    Also, what exactly is repriming the boiler, before turning off the machine after use?
    Thirdly, are there any recommended shops based in perth? or should i purchase from an online store like coffeearoma?

Thanks guys

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: Silvia + Rocky Combo questions

I owned a Silvia and Rocky for about 2 years......i ended up fitting a PID(google it) and have used 6910s numerous times, this is what i have found.........

Silvia is a very capable machine with commercial grade components making it last the long haul, and component failure is rare*;
    The 6910 is an appliance, will not last as long, and it seems that a lot of people are claiming warrantee.....

I personally think that both machines are capable of producing GREAT quality espresso, temperature surfing in the silvia without a PID is time consuming and frustrating, the silvia has quite a dead band of boiler temp, the tstat cuts in and out, mine(prior to PID) turned on at 86C and topped out at 109C, and with the magic temp for espresso around the 92 C mark......it can result in some sour or bitter shots......

You can streach milk and pull shots at the same time in the 6910......not with the silvia....

Repriming the boiler is literally refilling the boiler, when you steam with the silvia, it uses up water, if you dont refil it before the element comes on, and its left for a period of time, burning out the element is probable, repriming before turning off ensures that when you turn it back on, the boiler is full of water, not air,thus preventing burnout.....

3 milk based drinks can be done quite quickly, but the 3rd may taste a little burnt, prolly still drinkable though......you can pull the first 2 shots, steam milk for those, refil the boiler, pour the flat whites and pull another shot, steam milk, refil, pour drink. The problem is that the group will be super hot from the first steaming session, and it can take 10-15mins for it to return to normal brew temp, you can flush the brewhead to get it down but without a temp readout your flying blind......so the third shot will prolly be 3-5C hotter than the first two.......and thats enough to make it taste quite burnt, that being said, it will still be drinkable, and given fresh beans, will prolly taste 10x better than servo coffee ;D

The silvia is a great machine, if its taken care of, it will last 20+ years [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Despite its shortfalls, i would choose silvia over 6910 any day of the week, due to build quality and potential ;)

cheers
    warren

*if it is maintained properly ;)

Hi Shu and welcome to CS.
    Warren has pretty well answered your queries.
    Just wish to add that the boiler on Silvia needs refilling each and every time after steaming milk, not just before you turn it off.
    Failure to do this could prove costly.
    From your stated usage, you will be better off looking at Hx or dual boiler machines if the budget can stretch that far.

Cheers,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by 585C7A636366796E610F0 link=1269568277/1#1 date=1269569608
    you can pull the first 2 shots, steam milk for those, refil the boiler, pour the flat whites and pull another shot, steam milk, refil, pour drink

Quote Originally Posted by 687D66627C6D760F0 link=1269568277/2#2 date=1269572766
    Just wish to add that the boiler on Silvia needs refilling each and every time after steaming milk
    Absolutely 100% true ;)

Shu

I see then, i would love to be able to buy a hx model, but they all cost like minimum $1500+ which is too much.

If im after convenience, as well as quality. Would it be potentially better to buy just the grinder for now, and continue using the sunbeam? Would that make a significant difference?

If so, id probably pick up the Rocky with a doser, but are there any other models in a similar price range, which are better?

Quote Originally Posted by 5A617C090 link=1269568277/4#4 date=1269594036
    Would it be potentially better to buy just the grinder for now
    Probably.

What grinder have you got now?

Quote Originally Posted by 516A77020 link=1269568277/0#0 date=1269568277
    We currently have just a sunbeam em6910, and to be honest it is incredibly easy to use, and regardless what you do, its somewhat impossible to actually damage it.
    :o Are you absolutely sure its a Sunbeam? ;D

If its all you say, why upgrade?

As for the Rocky, if you decide to buy one, I suggest you choose the doserless model. Its better. ;)

A good grinder will have much more influence on the quality of the coffee (given good, fresh beans) than upgrading the machine.

Three large lattés are two goes with single boiler dual function machines like the Silvia, and if you like the 6910 Id advise staying with it until it dies, then re-assess.

Greg

If your 6910 is working well why not save your money up for the HX. Either that or keep your eye out for a second hand HX in your budget.

As per Wsullys post I think youll get a bit frustrated temperature surfing for that 3rd coffee over time unless you PID, and if you dont want to DIY youll be in HX price levels anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 2E0301070A0B0F620 link=1269568277/8#8 date=1269601950
    If your 6910 is working well why not save your money up for the HX. *Either that or keep your eye out for a second hand HX in your budget.

As per Wsullys post I think youll get a bit frustrated temperature surfing for that 3rd coffee over time unless you PID, and if you dont want to DIY youll be in HX price levels anyway.
    x2 excellent advice ;)

Shu

Quote Originally Posted by 4F6E656562780B0 link=1269568277/6#6 date=1269598375
    :o Are you absolutely sure its a Sunbeam? *;D

If its all you say, why upgrade?

As for the Rocky, if you decide to buy one, I suggest you choose the doserless model. *Its better. ;)
    Haha, yes its easy to use, but i never said it produced fantastic coffees, i just feel somethings lacking...

Anyway, i think ill get a grinder first, then save up for a hx machine later on.

Is there a noticeable difference between say, *the rocky and the k3 touch?

Quote Originally Posted by 675C41340 link=1269568277/10#10 date=1269617682
    Haha, yes its easy to use, but i never said it produced fantastic coffees, i just feel somethings lacking...
    Could be down to the quality and freshness of the beans you are using.... Rule of thumb is that beans >3 weeks old are well on the way to being stale. Even less if the storage method isnt up to scratch..... :(

Mal.

Shu as Mal asked what beans r u using?? A good grinder will make a huge difference. I have a Rocky doserand love her I acutulally (contrary to others) really like the doser after the tape mod. I find it works great with my Silvia- while temp surfing grind beans load group and pull shot.
    The one who must be obeyed loves te cleanleness of it too ;) ;D

saying that the K3 is considerably better (semi commerical) and some site sponsors have it on sale for not much dearer

Shu

Im using the sunbeam grinder, em480.. As for beans, im using fiori beans bought at the super market.. However, they are dated back in 2009 for roasting, so i suppose they would be stale by now. =(

Quote Originally Posted by 310A17620 link=1269568277/13#13 date=1269649710
    i suppose they would be stale by now
    They were probably stale by the time they were put on the shelf.

brett230873

Supermarket beans are are to coffee, what Pal is to Pate. Get freshly roasted beans from a quality roaster and enjoy the Oh, so thats what theyre talking about feeling.

Shu

Will do!

my game plan;
    get a rocky, or perhaps a k3 touch if i can find one for a decent price.
    buy freshly roasted coffee from talkcoffee, or perhaps 5 senses?

sounds good?

Chris from talkcoffee HAD the K3T on sale.....not sure if it still is?

Chris will roast your beans to perfection, cant get fresher! Dont forget about Brownbay for beans too, the espresso WOW is amazing!!!!

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4743657C7C7966717E100 link=1269568277/17#17 date=1269672220
    Chris from talkcoffee HAD the K3T on sale.....not sure if it still is?

Chris will roast your beans to perfection, cant get fresher! Dont forget about Brownbay for beans too, the espresso WOW is amazing!!!!
    Thanks WSully! 8-)

We have plenty left, still too cheap and still with the free upgrade to polished aluminium and short hopper...

Chris

Snap it up and grab some beans off him too!!! Maybe even try some green beans and a popcorn machine they make a good combo!!

Just a note with fresh beans. I find an age around 10 days works best. Thick and rich and better balanced.

Too young beans are gassy and too runny/liquidy.

Stale supermarket beans are a no-go and the 0480 is the bottom rung of acceptable electric grinders.

The upgrade to good, fresh beans and something like the K3 will be mind blowing.

Hold on, you are in for a ride!

Greg