Thread: Newbie Question on Rancilio V3

Newbie Question on Rancilio V3

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a V3 and had a question on usage.

I am trying to minimise the time between pulling the shot and the time it takes for the boiler to get the steam ready.

Basically, I heat up the machine and pull the shot. *Then I hit the Steam button and wait for the light to go off. *This seems to take a while (especially when you are standing over it).

I was wondering if you have any tips on how I may be able to get it happening quicker ? *I have tried to heat the pump, them hit the steam switch until the boiler goes off, then pull the shot, but I noticed that steam comes out from the group head when pulling the shot so I figured its not a good idea.

All tips welcome as I am a newbie !

Thanks!

Re: Newbie Question on Rancilio V3

Dont wait for the light to go off. The idea is to start steaming just before it goes out so the element maintains the best steam pressure for you. To start with time how long it takes for the light to go off once you know the time you can commence steaming a bit before. Dont forget to release water to create headspace.
    Have a read of the Id really like to PID my Silvia thread at the start of this section, displaying the temp makes steaming easy, you still have to wait for it though.

Thanks. I do release the water first, just feels like ages whilst waiting for the steamer.

I will have a read of that thread, thanks.

I was hoping for an easy answer, but sounds like i need to become patient :)

Caffeine Junky

I sense upgraditis to a HX machine setting in already....

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 5E5F5546585D47340 link=1269773454/3#3 date=1269775956
    I sense upgraditis to a HX machine setting in already....
    Your evil CJ ;D

Caffeine Junky

You dont know the half of it :D

Seriously though kaos, I dont know if there really is much else you can do. I used to use the same technique as suggested by vicroamer on my lelit, which is a similar machine.

My suggestion is use that waiting time rather than standing there waiting for that little light to go off e.g. cleaning shower screen, getting milk from fridge, wiping down grinder, etc. All of a sudden it wont seem like an eternity any more.

Quote Originally Posted by 717B75692A2A2F1A0 link=1269773454/0#0 date=1269773454
    I am trying to minimise the time between pulling the shot and the time it takes for the boiler to get the steam ready.
    I have a Silvia V3 and to keep it simple I wait for the initial re-heat of the boiler after pulling a shot (time to get milk from the fridge), then turn on the steam switch (thermostat light should come back on), purge the wand of water then away I go.

You can wait a minute or so for the boiler to be at a higher temp, but I find the steam is great and kills my old Sunbeam EM6910.

Dont forget to re-fill the boiler!!!

Dont forget to re-fill the boiler!!!
    Ah.....super-stupid noob question follows: How does one refill the boiler? :-?

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Simply :) after steaming, run water through the brew head till the boilers full again ;) this will pump water into the boiler.......

Quote Originally Posted by 4F4B6D7474716E7976180 link=1269773454/8#8 date=1270383562
    Simply :) after steaming, run water through the brew head till the boilers full again ;) this will pump water into the boiler.......
    Hi all,
    Im another recently new Silvia owner. Do you need to run water through the group head for a certain length of time to fill the boiler? Or is the boiler filled already once water starts to flow through the grouphead?

Thanks folks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 4443525E594E020202370 link=1269773454/9#9 date=1270430864
    Hi all,
    Im another recently new Silvia owner. *Do you need to run water through the group head for a certain length of time to fill the boiler? *Or is the boiler filled already once water starts to flow through the grouphead?

Thanks folks,
    Paul
    STOP !!!! re-read the instructions!!!!!

to fill the boiler
    OPEN the STEAM WAND and and run the brew switch.
    when water comes out the wand the boiler is full.

as the steam wand takes steam from near or at the top of the boiler if water is flowing out the steam wand the boiler is FULL.

the way you describe may not fill the boiler......

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 525E575A5A533F0 link=1269773454/10#10 date=1270435435
    STOP !!!! re-read the instructions!!!!!

What RTFM... Naaa

Thats why every one posts here.. To check to see if some one else has ;D

Thanks for your response Maheel, and yes I have read the instructions (which were rather brief and is why I posed the question in the first instance).

I presume the method you outlined is for the first time the silvia is to be used. *I should have explained that although the silvia is new to me, it is not a new silvia as I have bought it through a local CS member on the for sale section on this site (thanks again Carlie!).

In the instruction manual for the silvia in the Refilling water in the boiler section it states
    "Press coffee delivery switch and wait for the water to come out of group head
    :Turn off coffee delivery switch"

This is why I asked in my previous post if there was a certain time that was required to flush through group head to ensure the boiler was refilled and safe from cooking the element.

AM, am not exactly sure what RTFM stands for sorry. *Although I have only recently just logged on as a member of coffee snobs, have been reading posts and researching this site since before Christmas last year and have found in the search section the answers to most of my questions which is why I hadnt signed up earlier.

This is a great site chock a block full of info 8-) and is a great resource to all coffee enthusiasts. *Sorry if my query has been answered before, or if it may have made me sound like an ignorant noob. :-X

TC

Its easy wwo,

Water out of group = maybe primed boiler. Water out of steam wand = definitely primed boiler....You choose, but if you opt for the former and the boiler fails you will be up for $150+

Enjoy! ;)

2mcm

Thanks 2mcm,

From the instruction manual it sounded like that water from the group head was enough to refill boiler. Will make sure I see water from the steam wand to fill boiler in the future.
    Just checked my silvia and water came out straight away from wand using that method while flushing group head, so I presume I had fully refilled it last time it was used a few hours ago.

Thank again!

No worries WWOne

fill your boiler via the steam wand method EVERY TIME you use it and you will have a long service life......

when i had a single boiler, I would confirm the boiler was full on "turn on" via the steam wand method.

And then again at "turn off"

if i made more than 2 coffees in a row i would refill the boiler after steaming the milk for the 1st "2" then proceed to make 3 & 4 then steam then refill boiler again (etc etc)

now others might say this is wrong you can make 4 coffees etc, it was just my system. you can just take it as an idea not the "rule"
    but be sure to fill your boiler !!!

Anger M meant RTFM "read the @#$#@ Manual" who me? but dont worry about it. He probably missed his lunch time pill ;D ;D ;D

That makes good sense maheel, and sounds like great practice for any owner of a low volume, dual purpose, single boiler machine (ie silvia,lelit etc.) Thanks for taking the time to explain it!

I know it must be frustrating for the experienced snobbers out there to read about yet another Silvia/Rocky noobs problems and questions, but as I mentioned had read the instruction manual and searched this site but still had not seen a response (and rationale) as detailed as maheels on how to correctly fill the boiler. Most posts only refer to flushing water from the group (and no mention of flushing steam wand) I guess what they say about Italian instruction manuals not being particularly helpful are correct!