Thread: Lelit Combi/Lelit PL041 or Rancilio Silvia/Rocky

Lelit Combi/Lelit PL041 or Rancilio Silvia/Rocky

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all.. I am still fairly new to the site. I bought a Sunbeam EM6910 with the conical bur grinder 2 years ago.. used it for a year and sold it as we were moving houses and machine was too big. Currently, I am looking at buying the Lelit Combi which seems appealing because it has the grinder with the machine.

Can people give me advice on whether this is a good thing? Or should I buy the Lelit pl041 with a rocky rd grinder or a lelit grinder or should i get the ranicilio with the rocky road griner.

I drink around 1-2 cups of coffee per day and during weekdays more. I love my coffee milk based.

Ive read about a number of machines on this site and sounds like the rancillio and the lelit are on equal grounds. Any suggestions?

I am also doing the barista course with jetblack in cremorne... so looking forward to improving my coffee making skills. I think i will be learning on the lelit combi as the rancillios are booked out.

Re: Lelit Combi/Lelit PL041 or Rancilio Silvia/Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by 273A2D272B20213D480 link=1270809869/0#0 date=1270809869
    I think i will be learning on the lelit combi as the rancillios are booked out.
    Well, let me know if you do. As far as Im aware Im the only retailer in NSW for the Lelit, and if youre unsure how to get the best out of any machine I sell, one on one training is provided - free. ;)

If youd like more information regarding the Lelit, feel free to make contact. Im sure some other members will provide their views.

I can honestly recommend the Lelit Combi.

Yes, it took me perhaps a fortnight to begin to master, but now after 2 months, Im making creamy microfoam latte and cinos.
    For me it was also a replacement to my old Breville Roma. No comparison.
    I now understand that this is all an art. Yes, self taught and with lots of advice from forum members.
    Go on, get the Lelit Combi. You know you want too !!!

Thanks Bean... People who have the Lelit often say good things about it... not sure about the quality of its ibuilt grinder though. How much of the beans can you put into the container for grinding?

WHat is the quality of the lelit combo grinder like?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7F62757F73787965100 link=1270809869/3#3 date=1270868844
    Thanks Bean... People who have the Lelit often say good things about it... not sure about the quality of its ibuilt grinder though. How much of the beans can you put into the container for grinding?

WHat is the quality of the lelit combo grinder like?
    It uses the tre spade burr set- like the Nemox Lux and a heap of other grinders...

Given tha machine and grinder come in at not too much more than $800, the machine represents excellent value.

Well cared for, it will be around long after appliance machines have been consigned to the tip.

I replaced the GH gasket in my 14 year old Lelit yesterday, gave it a good flush with citric acid and put some organic Peru through this morning. *Smooth, earthy with superb buttery mouthfeel. *Not too shabby for an old el cheapo.

Check out this baby, complete with toggle switches and pressure gauge.

Thanks.. seems like eveyrone is leanign towards lelit for now. In terms of the coffee and the steaming of milk.. how do the two compare? I rememered watching a clip on the steam feature between a rancillio and a em6910 and there was a huge difference. Can someone tell me the difference between the lelit and rancillio please?

Thanks

Im interested in the Lelit too. Does it have the great heavy pro-feel group handle, like a Gaggia, or is it the one hole type like the cheaper machines?

Quote Originally Posted by 55485F555952534F3A0 link=1270809869/6#6 date=1270891046
    Thanks.. seems like eveyrone is leanign towards lelit for now. In terms of the coffee and the steaming of milk.. how do the two compare? I rememered watching a clip on the steam feature between a rancillio and a em6910 and there was a huge difference. Can someone tell me the difference between the lelit and rancillio please?

Thanks
    Hi, I would also like to know the difference? Thanks.

I am looking at buying a Lelit and had an email from Jetblack that they will be getting stock of the the PL041 in a few weeks.

Still trying to decide between that and the Nemox (same machine, just looks a bit different).

Quote Originally Posted by 38253238343F3E22570 link=1270809869/0#0 date=1270809869
    Hello all.. I am still fairly new to the site. I bought a Sunbeam EM6910 with the conical bur grinder 2 years ago.. used it for a year and sold it as we were moving houses and machine was too big. Currently, I am looking at buying the Lelit Combi which seems appealing because it has the grinder with the machine.

Can people give me advice on whether this is a good thing? Or should I buy the Lelit pl041 with a rocky rd grinder or a lelit grinder or should i get the ranicilio with the rocky road griner.

I drink around 1-2 cups of coffee per day and during weekdays more. I love my coffee milk based.

Ive read about a number of machines on this site and sounds like the rancillio and the lelit are on equal grounds. Any suggestions?

I am also doing the barista course with jetblack in cremorne... so looking forward to improving my coffee making skills. I think i will be learning on the lelit combi as the rancillios are booked out.
    Morning Oreo, For many years the Silvia/Rocky combo were considered pretty much an industry standard for lower end quality espresso machines, they were reliable, durable, no nonsense machines that made excellent coffee and had very good resale value, sadly I feel the Rancilio run has come to an end, there a quite a few machines in the price range challenging now, I guess research is the answer, and this obviously is a great place to start. :)

Caffeine Junky

Iíve not owned a Silvia but have had an EM6910, a Quaha Napoletana and a Mokita Junior. The Quaha & Mokita (re-badged Lelit machines) definitely have better steam output compared to the EM6910. The design of the 2 machines is completely different; the Lelit has a boiler and the Sunbeam a thermoblock dedicated for steam only. The boiler machines produce more powerful steam which dissipates reasonably quickly so perfect for texturing small amount of milk (for 2 standard latte/flat white drinks). The Sunbeam is not as powerful but lasts longer so can texture larger volumes, which I have done, but it does take a while. The quality of textured milk is pretty good for both, given good technique, with the Lelit slightly ahead in my hands.

As I said, I have not owned a Silvia but would imagine the steam power would be similar given they both have 300ml boilers. Both the Lelit & Silvia would benefit with the addition of a PID. If you were planning to go down this road I would recommend the Silvia simply because there is a lot of information available on how to do this (assuming you are technically minded).

Ive had Rocky-Silvia for just over a year now.

I dont expect them to break down, but if they do at least youll still be left with a grinder or machine. If the Lelit needs to go in for a service, youre grinderless and machine-less = coffee withdrawal + :-/

They come up often on the Sales forum, represent excellent value as CSers take religious care of their equipment, and you might walk away saving a couple of hundred off new RRP.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7D41485045240 link=1270809869/10#10 date=1275270666
    For many years the Silvia/Rocky combo were considered pretty much an industry standard for lower end quality espresso machines, they were reliable, durable, no nonsense machines that made excellent coffee and had very good resale value, sadly I feel the Rancilio run has come to an end
    I think the Silvia is still a good machine. Thie issue is that two key importers now sell them at wholesale price as boxes without supoort. Neither offer service facilities- outsourcing repairs to other businesses. This makes it a waste of time to stock them as CSers usually want more than a box and training as well, but want a better price as well ::). Clearly this is not possible. The result will be decreasing support for the Silvia and far fewer sellers of the machine.

Yesterday a bloke called. Silvia and K3T purchased from one of the aforementioned importers with a very strong and aggressive evilbay presence...crap coffee...

His "fresh" beans were purchased from the mob down Balaclava way which roasts and then sells stale beans out of buckets.

I suggested that he should call the people he purchased from and ask them for some support or that he could purchase one of our training courses.

I looked at another machine a few weeks ago with another sponsor. Its a whole heap funkier and has the potential to blow the Silvia completely out of the water on performance and price...Watch out greedy importers.... :-X

We had a Quaha napolitana (same machine, different badge/switch gear) in the house for years. Great reliable machine. We eventually upgraded the grinder to a mazer mini (the day a friend introduced me to coffee snobs as a matter of fact) which did make quite a difference to the coffee it produced, but the inbuilt grinder still got used when we took the machine away with us.

For the price though, Im not sure the combi can be beat.

From memory the Sunbeam also brews and steams at the same time, just be aware that the Silvias and Lelits dont if you used this feature on your Sunbeam. The Lelits look great (I nearly bought one), but are a 57mm group instead of Silvias 58mm which might restrict aftermarket baskets, tampers etc.

Ive got a Lucy (Silvia & Rocky in one) and its great, but I did find the grinder a bit annoying to clean out because its fixed into the machine. A vaccum cleaner sorts it out anyway so not a biggy.

Any of the above machines will service you well and make great coffee with a bit of training.

Chris from Talk coffees machine sounds interesting... Is this something thats coming to the market soon Chris?????

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 1124292E1A062A23232020450 link=1270809869/13#13 date=1275348031
    I looked at another machine a few weeks ago with another sponsor. Its a whole heap funkier and has the potential to blow the Silvia completely out of the water on performance and price...Watch out greedy importers.... :-X
    Come on Chris you cant tease us like that. You know that sort of comment will drive any die hard CSer crazy with anticipation!

Quote Originally Posted by 7E4B46417569454C4C4F4F2A0 link=1270809869/13#13 date=1275348031
    I looked at another machine a few weeks ago with another sponsor. Its a whole heap funkier and has the potential to blow the Silvia completely out of the water on performance and price...Watch out greedy importers.... Lips Sealed
    How long before you can reveal this bombshell?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 3C7D66617A0E0 link=1270809869/17#17 date=1275573661
    Quote Originally Posted by 7E4B46417569454C4C4F4F2A0 link=1270809869/13#13 date=1275348031
    I looked at another machine a few weeks ago with another sponsor. Its a whole heap funkier and has the potential to blow the Silvia completely out of the water on performance and price...Watch out greedy importers.... Lips Sealed
    How long before you can reveal this bombshell?

I say nothing *:-X

We need to receive it and then try to break it and then see if a case exists for it in Australia....So in short, the answer is one day...(maybe) hopefully ;)

Chris

TC

Update:

Well have something to show interested CSers in a few weeks 8-)

Chris

Pick me! Pick me!!

I am in the market for a sub Silvia priced machine. I can hold out for the right machine...... but its taking all I have to wait!!!

I hope its "funky" in a good way...........

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 424A435D2F0 link=1270809870/9#9 date=1275270550
    Still trying to decide between that and the Nemox (same machine, just looks a bit different).
    Just check that the Nemox has a 3 way valve. The last couple we have had in for service didnt - not sure if this has been added on more recent models. (The 3 way valve allows you to take the portafilter off after extracting without an explosion of coffee.) The Silvia and Lelit machines have it.

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by 263B2C262A21203C490 link=1270809870/3#3 date=1270868844
    Had my lelit combi for nearly a year now and I still love it. The grinder is a terrific little unit and is actually quite well-regarded for its quality from what I understand. Im the only coffee drinker in my house and I only tend to put enough beans in for my daily dose (2 doppios each morning) but my guess would be that hopper would hold enough beans for around 8 double-shots.

And FYI if you need a good tamper to go with a Lelit, you can get a Rattleware 57mm tamper - nicely weighted, good quality and reasonably priced. At the time I bought my Lelit from Talk Cofee last year, they carried these tampers.

Excited to hear news about this new machine too! :)

I am looking at either a Lelit or Silvia as well and would love some info on a new competitor?

LeLit Combo/Nemox Opera/ ? Napoletana Owners

HI All,

I have come across this site looking for the same answer to a question that alot of other members have asked along the way, what is a good starting point for a espresso machine? I had basically decided on a Lelit however the demo did not go well at the store and a couple of days later i was told that these machines do have this problem that they leak, would any owners please help out and set me straight with this either way.

Prior to that i was going to blow my budget on a Silvia but have been educated that i need to start with a decent grinder hence the reason for either the LeLit or the Nemox all in ones which i believe are the same machine and fit within my budget of around $800ish.

Looking forward to your thoughts and replies.

Thanks

Peter

P.S. I like my coffee short and black

Re: LeLit Combo/Nemox Opera/ ? Napoletana Owners

Without knowing who told you about the "problem" and what authority they may hold, I suggest you get another demo at cuppacoffee and see if you still dont want one.

Check with them first though as new stock may not yet be to hand.

It was from a friend which was the previous importer.

Quote Originally Posted by 776273646677070 link=1278939843/0#0 date=1278939843
    however the demo did not go well at the store and a couple of days later i was told that these machines do have this problem that they leak
    Uhm, they dont leak...it was the demonstrators fault.

He had been fiddling around inside the machine and hadnt reconnected one of the hoses properly. :-[

TC

Good news all,

I have received the machine I mentioned today and it looks not bad...

Its at home on shot duty and then will head to the shed so that I can try to break it. If the build is ok, it will be available in limited quantities in a week. ;)

Anyone who would like a look is welcome to pop in on Saturday morning...

Ill start a separate thread once i have some pix to show you...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7C697B60616D080 link=1270809870/12#12 date=1275346428
    Ive had Rocky-Silvia for just over a year now.

I dont expect them to break down, but if they do at least youll still be left with a grinder or machine. If the Lelit needs to go in for a service, youre grinderless and machine-less = coffee withdrawal + *:-/
    Yeah but what are you going to do with an espresso machine and no grinder? buy preground in 18g amounts and race home to make your shot? ;D

In a similar situation as to not knowing exactly what to buy and would be interested in a new competitor to confuse the matter even more!

thx,

i was just looking for some owners verdicts on the machine

Another option (and the way I went) was with a LeLit PL041 and a Compak K3 grinder, for a total price of around $1200 delivered. Cheaper than a Silvia/ Rocky combination, but a much better grinder.

Im a very happy chappy..... ;D