Thread: Gaggia Classic and boiler

Gaggia Classic and boiler

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Can anyone advise how the aluminium boiler in the Gaggia Classic affects the taste of the coffee. .

I made good coffees but always thought there was a taste (somewhere) due to the aluminium bolier. Is that possible?

I have had a Gaggia for 7 yrs which I now intend to replace with the Silvia.

Re: Gaggia Classic and boiler

if you open up the boiler you will see flakes of aluminium oxide inside. ITS NOT GOOD.
    Get a silvia!

Thanks GreenBean. I notice your in Carlton. Im from Perth and pretty much all the coffees I have when I am in Melbourne are better than any coffees (cafes/rest) I ever get in Perth.

Had my Classic for 4 years now and have not experienced any strange tastes. Only great coffee.

I did a test on mine. I made a cup of hot water with the Classic and a cup of hot water with my electric kettle, (with concealed element) using water from the same source. Tasted the water on cooling and I fail to taste any difference.

Maybe it is the water you are using or perhaps your steam line has sucked up some milk and not flushed out properly when cleaning. This of course would not affect espresso shots. Also milk sometimes collects around the top of the thread on the steam tip. It is not always visible depending on position of your machine. Maybe it is none of the above! *:-[Good luck. ;)

Thanks Krema.

I have a lot of great coffees with my Gaggia. After reading more about coffee here over the last week I think the taste thing was really my water, grinding and the machine not being cleaned regularly. It has been a good machine for me.
    I had the Gaggia for 7 yrs and is now not good value to repair which has been caused by my not looking after the machine properly. Despite the boiler and electrics working fine the machine was so bad when I tried to back flush no water filled back into the tank! It doesnt pour either.

So I need a new machine. My budget (my wifes) limited my upgrade to the Ranc Silvia and the Rocky Grinder. Which is still a fair whack of dough. I purchased A Synesso basket and a Pullman tamper today in preparation. I will also make sure I get organised with the cleaning products this time around.