Thread: Sunbeam Cafe Series 6910 - Flashing Water Light

Sunbeam Cafe Series 6910 - Flashing Water Light

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

I have had this machine since about November, it attracted high usage in its first couple of months in a house with 14 people, all drinking lots of coffee. It now lives in my kitchen, used by just me.

Anyway, about my question:
    The low water light is constantly flashing, when the water container is full or empty.
    The machine beeps 4 times when first switched on too.

Ive tried looking here and in the manual, and cant find anything to suggest what the problem is.

I have cleaned the machine, still happens.
    Is it something to do with the little pod at the bottom of the water tank?

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Also, on a side note, the pressure gauge seems to never become activated, could these two issues be related.

Ive noticed that the creme on my coffee is not what it used to be, but I was putting that down to user error more than anything else...

Re: Sunbeam Cafe Series 6910 - Flashing Water Light

Hi tellybox and welcome to coffeesnobs.

Sounds like your machine is faulty, have you tried pushing the water container in, it may not be in its correct position.

The other problem could be operator error, what coffee are you using pre-ground or freshly ground, what are the coffee pucks coming out like?

sounds like your solenoid valve may be stuck open, not allowing pressure to build in the group head. Have a read through this. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1249003655/0

How often do you chemically backflush your machine?

Quote Originally Posted by 676B787E73686F6B640A0 link=1272068779/1#1 date=1272073761
    Hi tellybox and welcome to coffeesnobs.

Sounds like your machine is faulty, have you tried pushing the water container in, it may not be in its correct position.

The other problem could be operator error, what coffee are you using pre-ground or freshly ground, what are the coffee pucks coming out like?
    Ive tried pushing the water in, yes, no help really.
    I suspect operator error, I was using cheap crappy beans, I grend them using the Cafe Series grinder.
    The puck are coming out pretty normal, every now and again they are wet, but again, probably user error.
    Quote Originally Posted by 676B787E7863720A0 link=1272068779/2#2 date=1272073963
    sounds like your solenoid valve may be stuck open, not allowing pressure to build in the group head. Have a read through this. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1249003655/0

How often do you chemically backflush your machine?
    Its been backflushed twice since we got it.

I didnt buy the machine, it was given to me (after its initial use, it was supplied by Stevens here in NZ for promotional purposes and was homeless afterwards, but I have no receipts or proof of purchase. Does the warranty still apply in this case?

Thanks for your replies...

Sunbeam can tell roughly how old the machine is by the serial number.
    You may still be able to have it repaired under warranty.
    Give Sunbeam a call.

A_M

Flashing water light..

Check to see the float switch in the water tank has not got stuck or dislodged..

Quote Originally Posted by 28393030253E33245C0 link=1272068779/0#0 date=1272068779
    Also, on a side note, the pressure gauge seems to never become activated, could these two issues be related.

User generated..

2 back flushes since November and what before then.. ??????

What cleaning Tabs / powder was used ?

Shower screen ever removed / cleaned ?

What sort of water ?

When was the filter replaced in the water tank ?

Live with it... Otherwise it means a, full pull down and clean / rebuild and that is a fair chunk of time.. *= $$$$$

It was brand new in November...
    I used the sunbeam tablet most recently, not sure what was used the time before, someone else did it.

I havent removed the shower screen, again, not sure if it was removed in the first clean...

I used vinegar solution, as it was all I had at the time, think Ill try with the official product next time.

It really is no biggie, the machine still works, and after having a play with grind size and taking my time rather than rushing, the end result is pleasing.

Its just one of those things, flashing lights and buttons draw me in and I just have to find out why they are doing it, I suppose I shall have to live without knowing this time!

Thanks for your tips, I think, with time, and a thorough clean, perhaps all will be well, otherwise, it stays as it is!

Cheers

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 14050C0C19020F18600 link=1272068779/6#6 date=1272101928
    I havent removed the shower screen, again, not sure if it was removed in the first clean...
    Every couple of months at LEAST..

Quote Originally Posted by 14050C0C19020F18600 link=1272068779/6#6 date=1272101928
    ts just one of those things, flashing lights and buttons draw me in and I just have to find out why they are doing it, I suppose I shall have to live without knowing this time!
    Open teh rear door.. Take out the tank and check the black float switch is in place.. It has a magnet inside and if stuck down or not in its little clip... You will get a LOW water alarm..

Choice, whoops, Ill remove it tomorrow and have a good old clean out then I think.

Float switch seems to be all good, thanks though
    You guys are very nice eh!

werdna

I also have the problem with the red flashing light.

I bought a used machine. The knob for the hot water is broken off.

I have checked the magnetic float, which is ok. The water flow from the anti-calc cartridge appears good.

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop the red light flashing please?

Quote Originally Posted by 372532242E21400 link=1272068779/9#9 date=1330805169
    Does anyone have any ideas how to stop the red light flashing please?
    Take the bulb out* ;) (Sorry, not helpful but had to be said :D)

Hi, Try a very large fringe magnet where the sensor is then move it up. If not cover with small duct tape and ignore.

I just bought a second hand 6910 off ebay.
    Dont know if it will help or not (still a bit of a noob with the machine) but when I picked it up, the guy warmed it up to show me that the pumps worked and gave me a few pointers. He said the little "bow tie" looking thing in the valve/opening at the bottom of the reservoir (where the water enters the rest of the machine) needs to be vertical or it wont work properly. Could this be causing your low water light?

Cheers,
    Jono.

My son presented me with a 6910 from the office and it had the dreaded flashing light even with a full tank, jiggled, with the little bow tie thingo upright. Only when I did as aqua3 suggested with the magnet - red light stopped!* ;)
    What seems to happen is: when moved, with no water or very low anyway the redlight warning sensor (which is activated by the floating magnet in the side of the water tank) moves to the base of the machine and gets stuck. So it tells the light "flash". A strong magnet quickly frees it up. I had a button magnet on the the back near the sensor, actually sticking on a screw, and the rotten light stops flashing. It flashes again of course when the water gets low. So get your magnet handy, you folk with flashing issues.
    Now next challenge - get the gauge working.

Quote Originally Posted by 1E363E390800362323570 link=1272068779/13#13 date=1333678055
    Ha Ha My same problem Please tell me how it goes. Mine works about half the time. But I Just use the force Luke. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain_Watt View Post
    My son presented me with a 6910 from the office and it had the dreaded flashing light even with a full tank, jiggled, with the little bow tie thingo upright. Only when I did as aqua3 suggested with the magnet - red light stopped!*
    What seems to happen is: when moved, with no water or very low anyway the redlight warning sensor (which is activated by the floating magnet in the side of the water tank) moves to the base of the machine and gets stuck. So it tells the light "flash". A strong magnet quickly frees it up. I had a button magnet on the the back near the sensor, actually sticking on a screw, and the rotten light stops flashing. It flashes again of course when the water gets low. So get your magnet handy, you folk with flashing issues.
    Now that's the best solution I've heard so far. Mine has been flashing and beeping for over a year and I simply ignore it. Now to find a strong magnet!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
    Now that's the best solution I've heard so far. Mine has been flashing and beeping for over a year and I simply ignore it. Now to find a strong magnet!
    I know this is an old post but I thought I'd just contribute for any any other poor soul who has experiences this in the future. I stuck a small rare earth magnet to the bottom screw. Red light gone

magnet.jpg

I cleaned out the water tank because the light was flashing and gave it a good clean, we don't tend to worry about the water as we always use filtered rain water, anyway with everything replaced and squeaky clean but the light continued to flash and there were beeps as well. I noticed the comment about the little "bow tie" needing to be in a vertical position, I gave this a try and voila! it works again with no flashing or beeps. Thanks a million for this information BigJono. you have made my day. telmor

Flashing water light

“I noticed the comment about the little "bow tie" needing to be in a vertical position, I gave this a try and voila! it works again with no flashing”

Did this little trick and all good, so thanks to all!