Thread: rust in my Rancilio Silvia

Roz

rust in my Rancilio Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

So today when I took the front plate off to install a PID I notice there is quite servere rust behind the 3-way solanoid valve between two of the metal plates.

I will take a picture once my camera charges up.

Has anyone had this issue? Will I have to buy a new machine :(

Roz

Re: rust in my Rancilio Silvia

here is a picture.

The internals of the machine are fine but rust is like cancer, so do you think there is anything i can do?

Roz

and a bit of searching found me this:

http://sites.google.com/site/stejdor/ranciliosilva

So it looks like I will have to disasemble the whole machine, get the frame blastered and powder coated. Oh joy.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7F70776A767D180 link=1272170485/1#1 date=1272171373
    here is a picture.

The internals of the machine are fine but rust is like cancer, so do you think there is anything i can do?
    Happens on the best units.. *But some are worse than others..

Powercoating is OK.. But has to be prepared correctly and can be $$$

Plenty of rust converters *etc and some good kill rust and or other suitable paint... Bob is ya Uncle and it will be fine for another 5 years plus.. *Besides... Who sees the frame.....

Now if ya have blue lights and a perspex side cover like the kids latest Gaming PC.... Then that a different matter.

Besides... Its only a Silvia... *;) :D ;D

Some wire brushing (with a Dremel if to hand), some rust converter, and then some high temperature epoxy and youll be good for years.

Greg

Forgive me but shouldn't a machine at this price point not rust. So Ranchilio should be fixing this. It doesn't matter if it is out of warranty. The Trade Practices act says clearly products need to be fit for purpose. After 1 or 2 years rust is simply unacceptable. Has anyone approached them to repair the obvious fault with their machine.

TC
    Consider yourself forgiven

An overfilled drip tray can lead to standing water. If this is ignored, only a scratch or chip in the powdercoat is required. This could occur due abrasion via the drip tray or where there may be any raw metal and I'd suspect that in any warranty related discussions, these factors would be taken into consideration.

As an example, we serviced a beautiful Diadema Perfetta which was sold by a Melbourne outlet today. The Perfetta has a full stainless chassis.

A number of overfills and spillages had led to galvanic corrosion and complete failure of the tank microswitch (barely recognisable) and severe corrosion of the leg bolts in their threads on the chassis as well as corrosion of the tank cradle and other areas of the machine. This is simply user error.

The water can spray out of the 3 way tube to that area without needing an overfilled drip tray, its a problem with the 2cm tall drip tray and the 3 way tube not being far enough over it. They could fix it but the silvia is already an almost unchanged 15? year old cash cow why would they bother.

forgive me also...but why drag up a 2.5 yr old thread an such a trivial subject ??
    And NO a manufacturer wont be interested.
    ...and yes a little rust converter will fix the problem.
    ..and a regular cleaning routine would prevent it anyway !

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    ...and yes a little rust converter will fix the problem.
    ..and a regular cleaning routine would prevent it anyway !
    A leaky threaded join between the plastic pump outlet and the stainless elbow fitting seems to be the common problem linking all these stories of rust on the Silvia chassis. I've just gone looking myself because of the same rust problem, and found that this join drips every few seconds when the line is pressurised (ie most of the time when the machine is in use). Consequently, there is always a pool of water under the pump, that seeps forward to rust the base of the vertical part of the chassis. As almost everyone else reports, I found that the green thread sealant was disintegrating.

I scraped off all the bits of powdercoat that had lifted, scraped off most of the underlying rust, and dosed it all liberally with phosphoric acid. Unfortunately Silvia now has a few external blemishes.

I then reassembled the pump join with a good wrap of teflon tape and found that it no longer leaked. Now, as I remember from the first year that we owned the Silvia, the underside of the drip tray stays dry.

Silvia owners, this is really starting to seem a fairly consistent fault with this machine. Particularly if you find lots of water mysteriously getting under the drip tray, but even if you don't, take off the top and back of the machine and have a look for pooled water, rust, and a leak from the pump elbow fitting when the system is pressurised. I'm going to do this every few months from now on. I should note that a "cleaning routine" will not pick up this problem until quite a bit of rust is present.

There might even be an argument for this join to be resealed with tape, Loctite or whatever when you take your new Silvia out of its box, but maybe Rancilio have improved their process. I'll let engineering folks advise on that one.

Hi,

Could you maybe post up some photos of how you sealed everything. Thanks in advance!