Thread: How best to tamp a Lelit/Quaha/Nemox Portafilter?

How best to tamp a Lelit/Quaha/Nemox Portafilter?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The portafilter on my Quaha Jr has a plastic covering over the metal coffee spout which itself looks fairly delicate. This doesnt matter if using the built in tamper on the machine, but I am worried I am going to damage the portafilter when I am using my hand tamper, even when I tamp on a thick soft cloth.

What do other people with this machine do?
    Has anyone bent or damaged the spouts on their portafilter?

Cheers

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: How best to tamp a Lelit/Quaha/Nemox Portafilter?

I did a search on the plastic bit you mentioned, but couldnt find anything, have you got a pic? You might be able to use a tamper stand like this from Di Bartoli to avoid damaging the spouts......

Click here

That tamper stand might be the go.

Here is my portafilter:

Also, my portafilter with the plastic removed (not sure if it can be used like this), quite delicate looking edge on the spouts:

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

yep, i wouldnt imagine it would be a problem, does the spout screw on tight?

This is what a lot of spouts look like, removable spouts, although the covers are stainless.....

Go for it ;)

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice.

Gday "Skin"...

With mine (when I owned one a few years ago), I replaced the spout with a standard commercial component from Coffee Parts and that was the end of any potential issues.... 8-)

Mal.

Caffeine Junky

If you tamp on a tamping mat then you should be safe. A cheaper version of what WSully suggested is available from coffee-a-roma. I have one and am happy with it, find it makes tamping consistently and evenly a little easier.

As Mal points out, you can easily replace the spout and theyre not an expensive item.

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 332125232F1F35332532400 link=1273301564/0#0 date=1273301564
    The portafilter on my Quaha Jr has a plastic covering over the metal coffee spout which itself looks fairly delicate. This doesnt matter if using the built in tamper on the machine, but I am worried I am going to damage the portafilter when I am using my hand tamper, even when I tamp on a thick soft cloth.

What do other people with this machine do?
    Has anyone bent or damaged the spouts on their portafilter?

Cheers
    My early Elektra Nivola handle had the same plastic thing. I think the only reason its there is because the spout thread is open on two sides and the black thing sort of stops you from over tightening.

But this type of spout is weak, is impossible to tighten properly and will eventually break - mine did. I bought a short spout with a full thread from coffee parts. Much better - and stronger

Just one more question:
    I had a look at coffee parts website and I think there were 5 double spouts that would fit my portafilter. Does it make any difference which one I choose?
    (I apologise if this has already been discussed in a previous thread)

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 263430363A0A20263027550 link=1273301564/9#9 date=1273711205
    Just one more question:
    I had a look at coffee parts website and I think there were 5 double spouts that would fit my portafilter. Does it make any difference which one I choose?
    (I apologise if this has already been discussed in a previous thread)
    Id go for 511673. You dont want a long spout on your machine and this one is identical to the Elektra spout that I bought. The Quaha and Elektra filter holders and spouts are one and the same. They just changed the handles.

Quote Originally Posted by 7E776477607160777F73120 link=1273301564/10#10 date=1273712010
    Id go for 511673. You dont want a long spout on your machine and this one is identical to the Elektra spout that I bought. The Quaha and Elektra filter holders and spouts are one and the same. They just changed the handles.
    Yep,

Thats the one I used too..... Never experienced any height issues when using the odd mug instead of a cup 8-)

Mal.

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 705D595558340 link=1273301564/11#11 date=1273735521
    Quote Originally Posted by 7E776477607160777F73120 link=1273301564/10#10 date=1273712010
    Yep,

Thats the one I used too..... Never experienced any height issues when using the odd mug instead of a cup 8-)

Mal.
    Just as an aside to this, there can be an issue with the internal casting in some of these particular spouts that will give a left or right bias to the pour. Assuming the machine is dead level to start with, this can be easily fixed with a small round file.

Just to add to the confusion ;D 8-)

Unless you make two coffees out of each pour, the best solution is to unscrew the spout and put it in the lost drawer with the single basket--never to be seen again! :( 8-)

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 5E6B7C7E4E766B7478757D190 link=1273301564/13#13 date=1273747083
    Just to add to the confusion ;D 8-)

Unless you make two coffees out of each pour, the best solution is to unscrew the spout and put it in the lost drawer with the single basket--never to be seen again! :( 8-)

Greg
    90% of the time it could live in the draw, its just those few days when you are making coffee for 6 and cant be buggered standing there for 30 mins pouring everyone a double shot.

Then you have your answer,--unscrew the spout, and put it where you can find it when you need it.

IME (Ive done this 3 times now) getting it off the first time was quite hard and took a bench vice and some heavy duty cushioning to avoid scratches, but once off and cleaned of the thread lock, it was easy to re-fit and remove.

And tamping without the spout on the handle is much more stable--the outlet is in the middle and is flat!

Greg