Thread: Rancilio Silvia PID diy. How do I install steam control?

Rancilio Silvia PID diy. How do I install steam control?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    OK another backyard mod. Has anyone done this mod and do they find this improves microfoam?

Got the pid control setup but would like to add in steam control. Just wondering how do you go about doing this? Does it involve installing a second ssr and bypassing the steam thermostat? A wiring diagram would be much appreciated.

Re: Rancilio Silvia PID diy. How do I install steam control?

I have This secreted away in my bookmarks if its any use to you.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Does your PID have dual setpoints? That is how its usually done....

Only two ways that I know of:
    First, as mentioned above, is a PID with Dul Setpoints. The second point is selected with a toggle switch connected to the PID (it will have a set of connections marked for such use). Disconnect the wires on Silvia s steam switch and run a pair of wire from that witch to the PIDs second setpoint terminals. That way, switching the steam on in the normal fashion will set the PID to the higher (secondary) setpoint.

Second, manually reprogram the PID each time for the higher temperature. This is an inconvenience, and a method to accelerate ear to the buttons on the PID.

Quote Originally Posted by 6C5F505A476179103E0 link=1273887784/3#3 date=1274021558
    Second, manually reprogram the PID each time for the higher temperature. This is an inconvenience, and a method to accelerate ear to the buttons on the PID. *
    Not really....

My background (Industrial Electrical Engineering) is in Process Control and Systems Automation and it is my experience that the etched nomenclature on the various control buttons of a PID Controller can withstand many years of severe wear and tear in particularly aggressive industrial environments.

An inconvenience? Well, thats relative to be honest.... I used this method for many years - turning up to 125C for Steam and back down again to 108C to Brew. Took all of 2 seconds each way and didnt inconvenience me in the slightest.....

Mal.

I have also done this using the alarm temp for steam temperature , my pid has an inverted alarm mode, so alarm output is on until alarm temp is reached, then alarm goes off, the alarm relay was removed and wired in parallel to the SSR via the steam switch.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1280753039/4#4