Thread: Yet another Sunbeam em6910 issue

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yet another Sunbeam em6910 issue

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    If the intermittent steam and the leaking wasnt enough, now my machine has developed a mind of its own.

Tonight I gave the machine a basic clean - removed the water tank, cleaned the tray...nothing special.

When I put it back together, as soon as i plugged the unit it, shots started pouring continuously even the the power switches on the machine were TURNED OFF.

I let it run thinking it might sort itself out but it just kept going until the tank was empty and even then you could hear it TRYING to suck water in. All of this while the unit was turned OFF !!!

Stupid piece of junk this thing is.....its only 6 months old so I will take it back....anyone know whether I return it to the outlet ( Redfern NSW ) or will they refer me to a service agent?

Any idea how long I will be without a machine?

I will be selling it very cheaply one I have it back, if anyone is game !

Thanks

Re: Yet another Sunbeam em6910 issue

Did you lay the machine on its side? Maybe water leaked inside on to the circuitry.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 514A4B5C1D15171D250 link=1274531936/0#0 date=1274531936
    anyone know whether I return it to the outlet ( Redfern NSW ) or will they refer me to a service agent?

Any idea how long I will be without a machine?

I will be selling it very cheaply one I have it back, if anyone is game !
    Contact the peopel ya got it from... they may swap it ot or refer you to Sunbeam..

Do not deal with the service agent in the first instance... Contact Sunbeam and get them to direct you and provide a warranty / RTM number etc.

Could be any where from a trip to the place you bought it from OR *6 or even 8 weeks plus, depending on the service agent..

If ya just want to dump it cheep... PM me..

Called the outlet and they said I need to call the service centre on Monday.

Mine was a refurb to start with, so perhaps I was asking for trouble from the start.

I have been a great defender of these machines but given the amount of complaints in this forum alone, youd be hard pressed to recommend one of these units.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 504B4A5D1C14161C240 link=1274531936/3#3 date=1274575482
    Called the outlet and they said I need to call the service centre on Monday.

Mine was a refurb to start with, so perhaps I was asking for trouble from the start.

I have been a great defender of these machines but given the amount of complaints in this forum alone, youd be hard pressed to recommend one of these units.
    Refurbs are usually better as they often have extras fitted..

Without hands on; I can not comment as to equipment or user induced..

However have only seen two that had machine problems, all others were user instigated... Have seen plenty, including my own three.

Quote Originally Posted by 66494042556A46494640424A424953270 link=1274531936/4#4 date=1274580382
    However have only seen two that had machine problems, all others were user instigated...Have seen plenty, including my own three.
    I will stand corrected, but doubt that there is anything I did to bring on this problem. Seems to be an issue with the power supply or the switches etc. As soon as the a/c power is plugged in it will just not stop running either water through the GH or through the hot water dispenser. Nothing can stop it other than turning the machine off at the wall.

Have tried a factory reset etc....doesnt make any diff...

Will call tomorrow and see how I go.

The chick at the outlet said she had heard of at least one other em6910 doing this before, so I dont think it will be an issue fixing it under warranty.

She also told me that these units are not half price at the Redfern outlet...so i guess circa $400....which I believe is what they are worth. No way are they in the league of other machines at the $800 end (my opinion!).

Looks like the issue is a powerboard one, related to Cockroaches getting in and nesting. The first thing the service guy asked was "do you have any cockroaches in your kitchen...?" We have a constant battle against these annoying bugs so I am 99.9% sure that this is what has caused it - so sure in fact that I wont even bother taking it to the service agent. And of course, its not covered by warranty if its cockroach related.

To fix, it will cost me $227 but I really believe that would be throwing good money after bad as these are really not a great machine, especially the dreadful steam output. And its likely to happen again anyway as anyone with cockroach issues will testify (especially if you live in inner Sydney).

So I am back to buying my coffee on the street....luckily there is a cafe 100 metres from my front door that sells delicious Campos coffee....not as much fun of course.

Will keep an eye out for a 2nd hand machine ....cant afford a full priced Silvia....well, I can my wife doesnt agree !

Can anyone sell me a used powerboard for an em6910?

Been quoted $250 from the service agent which makes it a borderline write-off given that Sunbeam themselves are now selling the for half price with 12 months warranty.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 607B7A6D2C24262C140 link=1274531936/7#7 date=1274692464
    Can anyone sell me a used powerboard for an em6910?

Been quoted $250 from the service agent which makes it a borderline write-off given that Sunbeam themselves are now selling the for half price with 12 months warranty.
    Na... Have been trying to obtain foir ages... Strange, as I thought it was a control board...

However, depending on teh fault... About 80% chance I can fix and teh other 20% is due to non obtainable special parts..

However... It all comes back to what part has failed...

Have a 6900 board maybe :D

I will more than likely sell mine as a non-working unit....

After one day of not having a machine I am already missing it too much.

I even stooped as low as a gloria jeans coffee today.....as i was standing there amongst the fumes of stale coffee beans I decided that this cant go on.

Has anyone had an electrical appliance blow up due to cockroaches?

I didnt push Sunbeam on the warranty....I guess this probably isnt covered under it, but sometimes it depends on who you deal with etc..

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5C47465110181A10280 link=1274531936/9#9 date=1274703817
    Common issue for all items that might be on for extended times.. They like teh heat.

In addition kitchens as oils and fats get every where..

Usualy the fecal matter that causes teh actual short etc...

In Qld the Indo gecko is / can be a real pain..

Quote Originally Posted by 445F5E4908000208300 link=1274531936/9#9 date=1274703817
    Has anyone had an electrical appliance blow up due to cockroaches? *
    Yes, my 6910!!!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 29323324656D6F655D0 link=1274531936/9#9 date=1274703817
    I will more than likely sell mine as a non-working unit....

After one day of not having a machine I am already missing it too much.

I even stooped as low as a gloria jeans coffee today.....as i was standing there amongst the fumes of stale coffee beans I decided that this cant go on.

I didnt push Sunbeam on the warranty....I guess this probably isnt covered under it, but sometimes it depends on who you deal with etc..
    How to say this with out causing grief.

Well in hind-site and after having pulled the system down..

In the opinion of my self and other tecs / including an agent who has seen the cockroach infested ones.....

A long bow at best....

Now I have spent some time.. Ordered parts etc but feel rather special/ill at ease; as in effect at your expense. I *have access to an almost new EM6910.. *

(Which I was going to keep for my hols and family visits / outings etc as they always want me to do the coffee)

Parts yet to arrive and have ordered slightly higher rated triacs.. Was going to replace all.

* My gut feel from what I and others observed after inspection.

Rear cover was removed and a few spots / specks seen and a quick call was made. (main cover screws were sealed.. )

* Disclaimer: *

I was not on site - The system may have been cleaned as part of an initial check ? *I do not have a crystal ball.. *

I have many years of experience and covering the review/audit /investigation of equipment that has caused a life to be taken.

I have not taken any further action as to cleaning the board or tossing the triac. *Parts are yet to arrive; but will place every thing on hold. (looks like a standard Over Voltage failure.. System is new and many electrical components fail in the early stages - burn in).

I will remain hands OFF - Until otherwise advised by YOU and only you.

Sorry *:-X

Could have said YEP.. Cockroach infestation to the max...

But that is not me.. *But it is agents my ethics to say nothing and gain at your expense and openness.

Sorry, I cant follow your post !

Did you receive the em6910 I sent you?

Was it a roach related problem?

You seem to be telling me to contact Sunbeam but I have already sold the machine to you !! :)

Sorry, maybe I am slow.

A_M

Tony8028

Yes you sold it to me..

Nothing to do with cockroaches.. Straight out IC driver fail..

$2:00 part or replace board - Warranty.

Yes I got a great deal BUT at your expense... *

The *Sunbeam service Agent has let Sunbeam and YOU down....

[edit] removed - have sent ya an e-mail [/edit]

Am happy to let it all pass by.. *But its your call.

AM, thanks for your honesty and concern....

I dont have time to jump through Sunbeams hoops, so I think you should keep the unit and do with it what you will. The fact that it was a part failure and not a cockroach problem just further strengthens by belief that these are pretty average machine. How a unit that sits in one spot for 6 months and gets 20 minutes usage age a day can have any sort of failure speaks for itself ( other than mis-use which this clearly isnt).

Enjoy your cheap em6019! Its not welcome back in my house any any price :)

Tony

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 564D4C5B1A12101A220 link=1274531936/15#15 date=1275448446
    Enjoy your cheap em6019! *Its not welcome back in my house any any price
    OK..

Done and dusted..

Just wanted it all above board.

And as a warning to others...

Service is not service / Qualified (in what) TECS does not mean they are any good / Factory trained is what = Attendance ?

Butchers and cowboys are every where.. Just like the ones that serviced / wrote off the saeco in the shed or tried to give back a dangerous Silvia to another CS member..

Problem is that; poor service will give the product a BAD NAME..

I must agree with AM, i firmly believe i would have been in a simialr situation as Tony with my now nearly 4 yr old 6900 if it wasnt for AM

I think AM needs a greater following on this site, he might not sugar coat thing, might not make you all warm and fuzzy inside but the great coffee this machine produces after being either looked at by AM or had problems solved does give that warm feeling.

He has insight into this machine that i think few anywhere in Australia possess and well even though many people rat this machine it has never done me wrong.

More over is the fact that this machine is wonderful if you give it time and learn how to use it. But like anything mechanical and electrical and made to a price can have some issues. Im glad mine never has.

Side Note
    AM my 6900 steam control has started cutting in and out alittle, seems like the switch is on its way out or its somehow missaligning any suggestions

cheers

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3E2B3B26282D212C282D490 link=1274531936/17#17 date=1275515264
    Side Note
    AM my 6900 steam control has started cutting in and out alittle, seems like the switch is on its way out or its somehow missaligning any suggestions
    Sounds like it could be teh switch / inner knob/ alignment..

A: Machine off and with kid gloves (yep.. Kid leather is so fine.... The unborn stuff is even better...) get teh steam knob and slowly open and close and listen for teh click of teh micro switch.

It should be clean and happen at teh same position..

B: Machine on. And play with teh steam knob again... The steam pump should start and stop in sync with that little switch..

If not then the pump could be suss...

C: If the switch does not always click then - loose internal knob or broken switch.

Remove and check switch movement...

1: Grab teh outer knob with ya L/H like ya riding a bike ;)

2: Squease and pull out... The outer knob is just pushed on..

3: A small Philips in teh end and check to see if teh screw is loose ;D :D (could be it)

4: If it seem OK... Undoo and gently pull off. (remember ya have to put it all back at some stage)

5: Now you can see teh little black micro lever switch... I usually find teh leaver has been damaged at some stage and pops out / or the micro switch has a minor bit of damage and teh lever will not remain in place..

Either way and new switch is required.. If so PM me.

Trust this makes some sense and assists you. Let me know how it all goes.

Am hoping to get a look at another EM6900 that is now pushing approx 4 years and only one group seal change..

Must be a batch issue as it is another that works well - need more good stories ;D

hi the sunbeam control board is a very common warranty replacement

about 25 % of warranty repairs is the board.

sometimes they will switch on by themselves
    others the pump will start up

cockroaches are a problem in all domestic/commercial appliances/machines
    but not as bad as some yell, usually for their own benefit

graham

Its been a little while since my last post but my 6910 seems to have quit on me. When I press the power button it only goes into standby mode.
    It warms up but never goes into full operating mode has anyone got any ideas! :( AM.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0E0211171A0106020D630 link=1274531936/20#20 date=1275808931
    Its been a little while since my last post but my 6910 seems to have quit on me. When I press the power button it only goes into standby mode.
    It warms up but never goes into full operating mode has anyone got any ideas! :( AM.
    Would need to re visit the wiring diag..

1: Does the warming tray get hot as usual or only warm ?

2: Steam

3: HOT water

4: Reset to defaults - ( i forget what the key press is) And then test 1 to 3 again...

Let me know..

PS. Seen a few board problems re cockeys and water damage and just plain old component fails.. All but one has been a $5 repair..

Besides, about the same price as a Collar..

Remember if you pay for it... Get the OLD one back... * (Note: It is possible to mark before going in.. Ya be surprised at what happens)

Seeing some real dodgy work coming out by some and reminds me of the old VCR and Valve TV days.. * Let alone a carby adjust or not, on the earlier cars..

Have no issues with one service provider up in Brisbane... But can not say the same of all others...

Dr Cynic *;) * Vs *Dr Reality

I have reset factory settings, and the warming tray *only gets warm.
    No steam
    No hot water
    If it costs me another $200 plus it might not be worth it.
    At the moment drinking from Syphon

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 717D6E68657E797D721C0 link=1274531936/22#22 date=1275810503
    I have reset factory settings, and the warming tray *only gets warm.
    No steam
    No hot water
    If it costs me another $200 plus it might not be worth it.
    At the moment drinking from Syphon
    ~ $60 for teh board and an hr to fit and test..

If nothing else works; then it is sensing "not up to TEMP" OR an "OVER temp" and going into a safe mode... So could be something basic.

But let me get back to you in case there is something else to try..

Besides its hot toddy weather not coffee ;D

If I can order a board from supplier I would get the technicians at work to fit it.
    It did cost me $237 for new collar to be supplied and fitted. I probably could do it myself though.
    Thanks for the help AM.

it is quite cold down here.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7F7360666B7077737C120 link=1274531936/24#24 date=1275812074
    t did cost me $237 for new collar to be supplied and *fitted. *
    Ummm may be an exchange rate between Here and there..

See what they want to charge.. ??

If more than $80.. Order here */ pay postage and ya in front.. They may ask for proof of Quals or to confirm who is doing what..

Remember... If it involves Electrical bits... Qualified Electrical person ONLY.

I forgot to say the collar only cost $67 the rest was labour and profit.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4A4655535E45424649270 link=1274531936/26#26 date=1275813867
    I forgot to say the collar only cost $67 the rest was labour and profit.
    Big profit or big labour fees :-)

Thermistor in the feedback could be at fault and or the Control board..

Thermistor replacement means a strip ... But a tec could measure in static mode and at least you would know if OK or not.. I have some used but spare ones; due to the kindness / gathering of said EM units..

If they measure OK... Looking like teh control board... But I am suss.. If ya replace it... Can I have teh old one to check out..

AM

Yeah I will send you any spares I get back from service.
    But it will have to wait till I got some spare cash, for the repairs.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 616D7E78756E696D620C0 link=1274531936/28#28 date=1275823778
    Yeah I will send you any spares I get back from service.
    But it will have to wait till I got some spare cash, for the repairs.
    I will measure mine here and let you know by COB Monday... Fingers crossed.

Remind me if I forget; as off to Vic for an over nighter Tuesday and got a bit of a back log on...

You can add my em6910 to the "Yet aonther Sunbeam em6910 issue" thread. *My 4 year old em6910s steam wand has packed it in. *:( Machine starts up and lights up the green LEDs on the usual "Manual", "Single", "Double" buttons, but the power LED continues to flash red. *I get a normal temp at the brew head (so thankfully am not completely without without my coffee fix yet) but the steam wand is only pumping unheated water. (Water tap is normal, but I thinks its hooked in from the "brew" thermoblock anyway). *I take it as a sign that I need an upgrade. *;D

From the rest of this thread Im guessing that either the steam thermoblock isnt heating, the temp isnt registering correctly or the main board isnt telling the steam thermo to heat up. *Anyone know what the red flashing power light indicates? (board error, waiting on thermo to reach temp, unable to read temp, generic unidentified issue?)

Despite my desire to upgrade does anyone have any good tech service experiences in the Melbourne area? *(Id still like to get the Sunny fixed up and sent off to a good home) *Im guessing none of our sponsers would touch Sunbeam repairs with a 10 pole so hopefully its not encroaching on anyones turf.
    (Oh currently eyeing off the Giotto or VBM Jnr, not too much bench space)

Only certain Sunbeam repairers are authorised to touch the 6910.
    Youll have to ring Sunbeam to find your nearest one.

Hi Thundergod,

Yep. Have had to chase up a group seal a year ago. Tried one of the authorised repairers and I think their Sunbeam tech may not have been in as they didnt seem to know anything about the em6910. Tried another authorised repairer who seemed friendly and knew what I was after but had no stock and finally tried a third who had stock but had trouble understanding that I was willing to pay for him to mail the seal to me (all got sorted out eventually). Getting a group seal is a fairly trivial task compared to sending the machine in, so just wondering if there are any "happy" customers of an authorised Sunbeam repairer around Melb.. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 5A5C4B54535E3D0 link=1274531936/30#30 date=1276053425
    You can add my em6910 to the "Yet aonther Sunbeam em6910 issue" thread. *My 4 year old em6910s steam wand has packed it in.
    4 years ?! Thats a lifetime in Sunbeam years ! Mine lasted 6 months and was leaking after 2.

I would have been wrapped with 4 years use!

I think all em6910 owners should get together and picket the Sunbeam head office ! Absolute piece of junk.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 407C617A707166737B70140 link=1274531936/31#31 date=1276067091
    Only certain Sunbeam repairers are authorised to touch the 6910.
    Youll have to ring Sunbeam to find your nearest one.
    YES and make sure your Clear as to Repairs and or Spare parts..

Many may be spare parts / user consumables... But only a hand full are authorise to do repairs.

Authorise Repairer does not mean authorised EM6910 ...

Unless you have teh context correct and confirm with teh Sunbeam rep.. You could be given info that is not what you assume. PS.. Some service agents do not care and often will do teh work.. $$$ is $$$ .. The fact that they do not know or the user does not know any better is business risk they take.

Hi Tony. Four years without a hitch (1 replaced seal). From my own experience I still think the sunny is a decent machine to help someone decide if they really are a CSer or not (ie with some practice and effort you can make a pretty good coffee with it). Given the patchy reliability some get for the price I might not recommend it to anyone starting out. I definitly have the CS bug so am going to proceed down the "upgrade" path to a HX. Once its patched up Ill send the EM6910 off to a good home for someone else to embark on their own coffee journey..

Thanks AM,

Ill make sure I give Sunbeam a bell when finding a repairer. I was just holding out the, fairly slim, hope that someone round Melb may have had a positive experience to share. I know, fairly unlikely given that even the best case means a few weeks without your main source of caffeine.. (that and if their machine is working well, theyre unlikely to be reading this "Yet another Sunbeam em6910 issue" thread) :P

I appreciate all of the detail youve put into your posts re: troubleshooting peoples em6910 issues. I found one post where it looked like someone else was having the same problem I am (red flashing power light, no heat for steam). Just though Id add mine to the list of issues (who knows, someone from Sunbeam might see some problem "trends" and engineer em outta the new models..)

Thanks again,
    Gavin.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0A3A3D200C2029292A2A4F0 link=1274531936/19#19 date=1275802266

cockroaches are a problem in all domestic/commercial appliances/machines
    but not as bad as some yell, usually for their own benefit

graham
    Posted in teh forum for all to learn from....

Quote Originally Posted by 4A767B6C7770262D1E0 link=impost date=1298611518
    Hi AM,

Ive read a lot of your enormously helpful posts over the years, but only recently signed up.* I was wondering if I could seek your advice on dealing with the fallout of a cockroach infestation of my 6910?

Ive just taken it out of the basement where I had it hermitically sealed for a couple of months and it seems that the roaches are all dead.* However I am concerned about cleanliness, especially because coffee grounds and cockroach poo look almost indistinguishable.

I put two sunbeam tablets through the cleaning cycle, but I still see little black grounds in the cup when I cycle pure water through the machine.* What would you do before you were prepared to drink from the machine again?...

Many thanks
    As to the highlight... Only when they are dry* :o

Never seen cockroach poo in the actual water or coffee path way..* Besides as an organic compound it would dissolve and just ad to the colour of the water... So even if they were there. You would not know and may even give that extra kick that every one looks for* :D ;D

1:* DID you remove teh shower screens and cleanthem and the group head, then replace them, before doing the Backflush cleaning cycle.

My Guess is you did not* ;)* But if you did, then I got it wrong...

2: Single or double floor basket ?

3: What grinder ?

The reason is that extra fine grinds can get in to many places.* In addition if you choke or have teh 6910 at max head pressure. coffee fines can get back into the water AND steam path..

Thus my guess is your seeing coffee fines* ;D

Now as to Cockroaches and Electrical boards etc.* If they are dead and their poo is all dry and they are not able to squirt their faeces around.* Then ya board should be OK.

PS: As to cleaning the head... E61 Espresso Machinery and* Bombora both have a Steam Arm Group Brush and it is worth the investment if your getting lots of coffee fines stuck up in the group area. But you still have to pull things apart.

Hey, thanks for the helpful (and really quick!) response.

m relieved to hear that its very likely just coffee grounds.

I use a double floor basket and the Sunbeam grinder. I had removed and cleaned the grouphead bits so I guess the issue is probably as you point out the grounds getting into funny places after pressure problems. I used to overdose the handle until I learnt better, and as a result I now get leaking sometimes around the edges (it leaks with just the rubber cleaning disc in, which I know is not a great sign). However I can still pull a reasonable shot if I keep the pressure in the yellow area of the guage - so as long as the machine is hygenic, I suppose Ill keep pluggin away!

Thanks again for the advice (both this and all the advice to others which I have found so helpful over the years)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 734F42554E491F14270 link=1274531936/38#38 date=1298616343
    I use a double floor basket and the Sunbeam grinder.*
    If ya use the Double floor basket... Grind a bit courser :D

If ya run that basket with no coffee grinds you still get the Sweet spot as to pressure and the correct volume in teh cup. BUT no coffee.

Use the single floor basket and fresh beans and you will get a better cup.

However, if it gives you what you want now... That is great.

PS. If ya been grinding fine... Then some fines can be trapped inside the double floor basket... Another reason to change.

AM

Quote Originally Posted by 715E5755427D515E5157555D555E44300 link=1274531936/14#14 date=1275446904
    Tony8028

Yes you sold it to me..

Nothing to do with cockroaches.. Straight out IC driver fail..

$2:00 part or replace board - Warranty.

Yes I got a great deal BUT at your expense... *

The *Sunbeam service Agent has let Sunbeam and YOU down....
    Hi AM... THis one is for you! I have the issue that tony8028 had. Yes I can remember the cockroach infestation and the coffee machine was the last place I looked and finally discovered where they were nesting! I didnt realise it would cause any problem

When I turn my machine on at the wall, the pump just runs continuously. It happens for about 15-20 mins, but then it stops and I can actually use it properly and it works 100%... but it will do the same thing again the next day. I cant wait for 20 mins for the pump to continuously run water every time I want a coffee!

Obviously you managed to work out tony8028s issue but I cant quite follow the discussion... did you eventually manage to be able to fix the machine?

My parents gave me the machine as they hardly used it for over 5 years. It is well out of warranty, but since it has hardly been used I hope to get some good mileage. I recently had the seal and collar replaced at over $230, then this issue started.

If there is a cheap/easy fix I would love to know. Id also be willing to have a go at doing it myself since I have no warranty anyway, and Im not willing to pump too much more $ into it

PS I already contacted the Authorised Service Agent and he has no idea what the problem could possibly be (!)

AM... sorry I just re-read the post and realised that you concluded tony8028s machine fault was not due to cockroaches but to a basic part fail..

Still, it seems to be a the same issue... what would you recommend?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6C79242E1C0 link=1274531936/41#41 date=1300936494
    AM... sorry I just re-read the post and realised that you concluded tony8028s machine fault was not due to cockroaches but to a basic part fail..

Still, it seems to be a the same issue... what would you recommend?
    Unless you live just up the road... No such thing as a cheep easy fix.

It will be either the prom or more than likely, the power driver triac that is having issues.

If teh prom it will mean a new board and if yours is a EM6900 then you get a EM6910 about $65 or $85 for teh board and then fitting.

If it is the Triac, about $3 for teh triac and about an Hr to fit. However most services places will not attempt to even try this as they are either not qualified and / or from a risk and agent agreement; can and will only look at a board replacement.