Thread: EM6910 pump starts AUTOMATICALLY

EM6910 pump starts AUTOMATICALLY

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Either I have a gremlin at home or my Sunbeam EM6910 is on the blink.

I made a couple of coffees in the morning and did my regular routine of cleaning the machine after use. In the end I dutifully turned the machine off, but left the cord in the power point.

I returned to find the pump had started automatically and all the water had cycled through the group head. I cant stop the water from flowing without turning off at the power point!

The machine doesnt seem to be otherwise on because neither the group head or heating tray is warm. I can actually turn the machine on (to get the green light to flash) if I turn on the power but not sure what this means. The pump just stays on.

HELP! Its a long weekend and I want more coffee. Ive got almost a kilo of Single Origin to get through.

A_M

Re: EM6910 pump starts AUTOMATICALLY

Quote Originally Posted by 3939393131313F3F3F530 link=1276323937/0#0 date=1276323937

I made a couple of coffees in the morning and did my regular routine of cleaning the machine after use. *In the end I dutifully turned the machine off, but left the cord in the power point.

I returned to find the pump had started automatically and all the water had cycled through the group head. *I cant stop the water from flowing without turning off at the power point!

The machine doesnt seem to be otherwise on because neither the group head or heating tray is warm. *I can actually turn the machine on (to get the green light to flash) if I turn on the power but not sure what this means. *The pump just stays on.

HELP! *Its a long weekend and I want more coffee. *Ive got almost a kilo of Single Origin to get through.

Location..

If ya correct in your symptoms..

Blown triac driver to teh main vibe pump.. $1.75 part .... About an hr to get access to.. Remove old and re solder new and EST etc.. 20min to put the covers back on and test..

If ya in NSW or VIC I thing the going rate is about $290 plus and about a 2 to 3 week turn around.. OR if assessed correctly WARRANTY..

Cause... All triacs are sensitive to Over voltage and or spikes.. These ones are used in so many white goods and small end power driver ccts etc.. Common fault in all systems..

NOTE: If ya go back a few years... TURN off at WALL - in any number of my posts.. If ya in a noisy line area or storms etc etc etc OR When Not in use ... UN plug or at least turn off at the wall.

Keeps memory and not running a clock and othert time requirements...

So save power and turn off at teh wall.... Might even save ya self a Service call / cost.

what does your "regular" cleaning involve? Clean down the machine with a sponge maybe?

DONT USE

if it is under 12 mths old it is warranty

common problem with sunbeam PCB

sunbeam out of stock until late next week

graham

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 606F7E060 link=1276323937/3#3 date=1276403599
    if it is under 12 mths old it is warranty

common problem with sunbeam PCB

sunbeam out of stock until late next week

graham
    Ya but some could be tempted in playing an interesting game - Bill and Warranty... I call it double dipping..

Less than a $1 for the part and buy 10 and free shipping.. Major world wide electronics component supplier..

Ordered another 5 and left 3 in stock for some one else.. ( I replace all on a board as seen this as a batch issue on other systems)

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Sunbeam will TRY and tell you that this problem is due to Cockroaches and therefore not covered under warranty....so be ready for this one...they did it to me so I virtually gave mine away in mint condition.....there was no point paying the quoted $300 to fix it.

Or, you could do what I did and take this opportunity to rid yourself on cheap, crappy Sunbeam products in your kitchen. A quick read of these forums should send shivers up the spine of anyone even tempted to buy an em6910.

Yep, cleaning with a sponge, just the externals.
    Cockroaches? I thought gremlins, not cockys. What do you mean?
    French pressing....

Quote Originally Posted by 3535353D3D3D3333335F0 link=1276323937/6#6 date=1276428936
    Cockroaches?I thought gremlins, not cockys.What do you mean?
    its possible you got a little water seep through to the LED switchboard. If so it will correct itself once its dried up. Otherwise, its probably something the other guys have mentioned.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6868686060606E6E6E020 link=1276323937/6#6 date=1276428936
    Cockroaches? *I thought gremlins, not cockys. *What do you mean?
    French pressing....
    Cockroaches get into most things and defecate all over the place... If in the wrong place; the moisture content of the feces will allow some HIGH voltage things to SHORT..

1: Do not leave stuff switched on.. Ya will not have the problem.

2: Have only seen one or two units ever suffer this...

3: Seen some very dirty Coffee machines and Microwaves etc (The microwaves are the main systems that die.. VCRs and other systems loose key pads etc )

4: *Have seen a few EM6910 and EM6900 units with dead Triac..

Will not switch off... Water pump on is the usual symptom..

This is a FAULTY triac from the manufacturer or a Voltage spike induced..

However *many repair / *Mr fix it agents / DIY *contacts are board jocks and DO NOT know the first thing about electronics..

Thus Question the Agent or the skill sets they require of their staff... Not the manufacturer.. *Just like Cars and Homes etc.. *In most cases it is Quality of the Technician / Trades person that makes the difference *;D *

When it comes to your self... Do ya look at the Hospital or the Quality of the Dr and Nursing staff ??

However today... *Those skills are not appreciated and every one just wants warranty etc.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2A2A2A2222222C2C2C400 link=1276323937/6#6 date=1276428936
    Cockroaches? *I thought gremlins, not cockys. *What do you mean?
    French pressing....
    I do hope you have done the other cleaning of the machine as recommended in the manual ?

PS.

If can get to a real Repair Agent that is Authorised and approved by Sunbeam and they are not board jocks..

1: If they have parts in stock.. Maybe 2 to 5 weeks turn around

2: No parts in stock... A longer wait.

OR

3: If they are real Electronics types... They may rat another board or have said triac on hand..

Problem is that you still have the issue of where in the line do you stand *;)

PS.. Depending on ya supplier and ya model of machine... Try an get a Gicar control unit (used in the more up market *coffee machines) repaired / replaced ASAP...

Usually replaced and $300 plus is the go.. *Yep... $5 part in most cases as well (Cap/s due to heat and or teh transformer)

OMG just opened up my brand new EM6910: read directions, filled tank with water, plugged in and tried to turn on power. Nothing happened until the fifth attempt to get the power button to respond ( pressed it five times before light would come on ). Then low and behold; dreadful racket...sounds like the pump started even though no other buttons had been pushed and the power button was flashing red. Eek. Tried to turn off power at button *with no response. Had to turn machine off at plug to stop the noise. *Waited for a minute and tried again.... as soon as power was turned on at power point machine started huge racket again - no power or lights illuminated or turned on at machine at all! This happened about four times before i came to the net seeking info and found all these troubling tales. :o I know bad news tends to travel, but is there any good news out there? My existing machine is a Rowenta Virtuoso and i had been looking forward to stepping up and getting better at the coffee thing. It took me about half an hour to pack the stupid machine back up in all the polystyrene etc. Is there any hope if i get a replacement or is it a case of get my money back and loot for a R Silvia? :-*

A_M

1: Dont go pressing buttons all over the place..

SLOW down... *Some lab staff do the same with instruments.. *Many make a mess at times and teh equipment does not always take kindly to it....

2: Sounds like it has failed - if what you have written is in fact, correct...... *AND *MAYBE the good old Triac failure..... (2N6075AG)

I would suggest if so; then the supplier should swap out for a new one...

PS.. I could actually see too many presses causing a fail at the gate junction due to an unstable input and possible spikes... *Triacs do not like spikes...

3: Before you go off and do the same again...

Spend a few hrs reading all the threads here and HOW to use a Coffee machine...

*** Read about Good coffee and fresh coffee, then read some more on Grinders..

*** Last but not least look for the ongoing posts as to Beans / Grind / DOSE level / Tamp and which basket etc..

Then take it slow.... When ya get ya new one... *

If ya go for a Silvia...

Then *you will still need to follow the points above and follow the requirements as to priming etc.. *Or you will be back at the service centre..

Here is hoping it all works out for you....

Quote Originally Posted by 250710071B620 link=1276323937/10#10 date=1276684598
    OMG just opened up my brand new EM6910: read directions, filled tank with water, plugged in and tried to turn on power. Nothing happened until the fifth attempt to get the power button to respond ( pressed it five times before light would come on ). Then low and behold; dreadful racket...sounds like the pump started even though no other buttons had been pushed and the power button was flashing red. Eek. Tried to turn off power at button *with no response. Had to turn machine off at plug to stop the noise. *Waited for a minute and tried again.... as soon as power was turned on at power point machine started huge racket again - no power or lights illuminated or turned on at machine at all! This happened about four times before i came to the net seeking info and found all these troubling tales. :o I know bad news tends to travel, but is there any good news out there? My existing machine is a Rowenta Virtuoso and i had been looking forward to stepping up and getting better at the coffee thing. It took me about half an hour to pack the stupid machine back up in all the polystyrene etc. Is there any hope if i get a replacement or is it a case of get my money back and loot for a R Silvia? :-*
    The power button not responding may be a fault.

However the dreadful racket is what always happens the first time you turn on a 6910, as its dry and needs to get water from the tank into all its nooks and crannies.

The reason it turned itself back on when you plugged it back in could be because it was trying to finish the cycle it had started.

I suggest you plug it back in and give it a few minutes to finish its starting cycle.
    Its quieter every other time from then on.

If the power button appears to be a problem though, as youve described, then do take it back and get yourself a replacement.

P.S. Where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 4646464E4E4E4040402C0 link=1276323937/0#0 date=1276323937

I made a couple of coffees in the morning and did my regular routine of cleaning the machine after use. *In the end I dutifully turned the machine off, but left the cord in the power point.

I returned to find the pump had started automatically and all the water had cycled through the group head. *I cant stop the water from flowing without turning off at the .
    Ive had this problem. I first noticed it a couple of years ago after having the machine upside down during my newbie shower head cleaning days.

Since then its occurred on a couple of occasions after a clean or heavy use.

My theory is heat / moisture is annoying the cb somewhere and that maybe the conformal coating on the cb is not completely sealed. Ive even suspected wet fingers and water making its way in to the control buttons. The fix for me is to leave the machine off for a few hours. problem the seems to fix itself (hence my theory about moisture). I also reset the computer - fwiw.

I try to avoid moving the machine around too much after use, and keep my button pressing finger dry. Problem seems to be less (hasnt occurred for months now.)

Although I leave on at the power point when out, Im might start turning it off.

Thanks for *all *information, much appreciated. Thunderbird your explanation *does make sense, though a note about this might be handy n the instructions you woud think. I will have another go and see if the racket abaits.
    Thanks Anger Management, but although my post sounds frenetic, there was probably about three seconds between each attempt to turn the power on and they were slow and deliberate presses with more pressure exerted by about the fouth. I think most electronic machinery would have responded quite happily to them, so a electronic failure may be part of the puzzle as well. My old Rowenta single thermoblock machine is now 8 y.o and as i have been looking to upgrade for a little while, have been availling myself to all the great forums to read -if not *to post previously. :) I have also upgraded my grinder to the matching sunbeam one. Luckily apart from the nuisance value of the short nozzle it seems great .
    Coffee Hombre i had smiled when i read you previous post. How old was your em6910 when it started playing up? did you get it serviced when it happened originally? More importantly, would you buy the same machine again? In my instance it was straight from upright box to the kitchen *bency and hands were dry. Maybe did not like the car trip?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 496B7C6B770E0 link=1276323937/14#14 date=1276749134
    I will have another go and see if the racket abaits.
    Let us know..

but although my post sounds frenetic, there was probably about three seconds between each attempt to turn the power on and they were slow and deliberate presses with more pressure exerted by about the fouth.
    Ya a big problem for all parties..

In my instance it was straight from upright box to the kitchen *bency and hands were dry. Maybe did not like the car trip?
    Possible... But one would expect it to work straight out of teh box ;)

Keep us informed..

Quote Originally Posted by 6D6168686B6B516661636C7C6B0E0 link=1276323937/13#13 date=1276745414
    Ive had this problem. I first noticed it a couple of years ago after having the machine upside down during my newbie shower head cleaning days.
    Never tried that... Considering some possible fluid leaks and what ever... Can not say I would recommend... But can understand why it might happen..

Can think of a few other things I would like to turn upside down... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 406275627E070 link=1276323937/14#14 date=1276749134
    Coffee Hombre i had smiled when i read you previous post. How old was your em6910 when it started playing up? did you get it serviced when it happened originally? More importantly, would you buy the same machine again? In my instance it was straight from upright box to the kitchen *bency and hands were dry. Maybe did not like the car trip?
    Was still undervwarranty at the time, and I seem to remember ringing sunbeam. However, because the problem went away by itself, I didnt give it much thought, and the two or three times its happened since have been cured by leaving the machine alone for a few hours. Fact is, it makes half a dozen coffees every day, 365 days of the year. I figure its allowed to be a little temperamental every now and then.

Now, if your machine still has the problem after several hours of rest, then thats an issue worth dealing with. Especially if it happens regularly.

Would I buy one again? Yes. The choices are too costly for me at the moment (although anyone care to send me a rocket, vbm, or expobar will be my friend for life).

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Id be getting your money back if it really is as new as you say? Get something else....even if you do fix THIS issue, just have a look at the problems people are having with these machines....you will be extremely lucky to get 6 months trouble free use out of it. Mine last 2 before all of the usual problems occurred then it just died only to be sold off as parts.

Otherwise SURELY Sunbeam would have a rep join in on these boards and offers some response, but what can they say?

The Sunbeam outlet in WAterloo NSW is selling these for $400 new in the box....

Honestly the worst appliance I have ever purchased.

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 4358594E0F07050F370 link=1276323937/17#17 date=1276773445
    Id be getting your money back if it really is as new as you say? Get something else....even if you do fix THIS issue, just have a look at the problems people are having with these machines....you will be extremely lucky to get 6 months trouble free use out of it. Mine last 2 before all of the usual problems occurred then it just died only to be sold off as parts.

Otherwise SURELY Sunbeam would have a rep join in on these boards and offers some response, but what can they say?

The Sunbeam outlet in WAterloo NSW is selling these for $400 new in the box....

Honestly the worst appliance I have ever purchased.
    Excellent post! Agree fully. Buy a Silvia and read the instructions... Twice. Follow the instructions and the worry about what coffee you are going to try as opposed to whether you will have coffee at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 0C2E392E324B0 link=1276323937/14#14 date=1276749134
    Thunder[s]bird[/s]god your explanationdoes make sense, though a note about this might be handy n the instructions you woud think. I will have another go and see if the racket abaits.
    ::)

Sorry Thundergod.
    Just as a post script: i returned the machine and was cheerfully offered a refund or replacement. As the any further problems were to be covered by the same offer i took the replacement. Have to say the second machine has behaved beautifully and is a pleasure to use. Also found that the latest version of the grinder has a soft nozzle extension designed to remove the annoying short angled nozzle problem. Thanks for everyones help. :)

I had the exact same problem after turning the machine on its side to scrub the group head with a toothbrush. After reading these threads (shocked at the possibility of being without my baby for 4 weeks or so) I left it to wait and dry, hoping there was just some water on the PCB.

Eight hours later I tried again and it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 27393E382F262B244A0 link=1276323937/21#21 date=1284934308
    I had the exact same problem after turning the machine on its side to scrub the group head with a toothbrush. After reading these threads (shocked at the possibility of being without my baby for 4 weeks or so) I left it to wait and dry, hoping there was just some water on the PCB.

Unscrew the screen to clean it.
    If you want to get "up and under" put it up higher or lie on the floor. ;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5A667B606A6B7C69616A0E0 link=1276323937/22#22 date=1284937717
    Quote Originally Posted by 27393E382F262B244A0 link=1276323937/21#21 date=1284934308

Unscrew the screen to clean it.
    If you want to get "up and under" put it up higher or lie on the floor. *;)
    Yea.. I heard that one brite spark :o ::) went to the trouble of making sure his water tank was full and at some stage in teh whole process. Went to remove the screen. Did a search and read about putting machine on side to get access...

The service agent had major issues trying to explain that the water ingress and shorts (Unit was on when put to side) etc would not be covered and that the process he followed was not the recommended way.

I understand this ended up a rather heated debate....

While I had some empathy for teh user. I still feel that teh Service agent was 100% correct and did not deserve the abuse that was dished out to them...

Google is not always correct and that water was not what plants crave 8-)

Always measure twice and double check before starting to apply teh tools.... AND do it with power disconnected.

I at least had the water tank out and the power off. Apparently its better to have it plugged in but switched off (in countries like Australia) because then it is earthed - not sure if thats true or not.

I had also unscrewed and taken the screen off, but for some reason I still wanted to clean above that - my toothbrush did get pretty filthy.

I was considering getting this machine again but might hold out for the lelit combi ,havent had this problem previously but glad I came across this post, on the edge let us know how you go, I allways found the em6910 to be consistent but some times steam pressure dropped possibly due to need for clean , but best shot I ever got was from this machine easier than Silvia (my opinion) :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 392720263138353A540 link=1276323937/24#24 date=1285246883
    Apparently its better to have it plugged in but switched off (in countries like Australia) because then it is earthed - not sure if thats true or not.
    If its turned off then, that is that... *NO

The electrical safety act, code of conduct GLP etc etc *and all good service procedures will use two terms...

De-energise and Disconnect ! *

If ever in doubt - ALWAYS disconnect. * A switch on the wall set to OFF does not meant that there is NO 240V Potential surging *in the appliance. *Your assuming the last person who looked / worked on the wall switch did it all 100% and nothing has changed since then.. *Plenty of people not around today, that count in stats as to what assumptions lead to.

I guess you read that advice on the NET some where ?

Yes, there are exceptions to when one might want to be earthed and the earth wire and frame of the appliance will perform / provide an earth path... * But none that I can think of when working / cleaning / repairing a coffee machine..

I guess you read that advice on the NET some where ?
    Nah - friend of mine mentioned it a while ago (when I was like 15) so I went along with it at the time.

Hi there, Ive just had a similar problem with my 2 week old 6910. Everything was going really well and I was loving the machine when the pump decided to start running by itself when it was supposed to be off! (just like the explanations above). I followed the advice on this thread and figured it must have been due to some moisture entering via the push buttons when I was wipeing it with a damp cloth. I left it alone the the next morning it seemed fine. HOWEVER when I tried to use it it failed to pump water?? It made the right noises etc, but no water flow... Ive now packed the machine up to return it.

Similar issue with EM4300 Sunbeam, FIXED with replacing thyristor

Had a similar issue with Sunbeam EM4300, the pump would automatically start whenver the machine was plugged into the wall, even if the switch on the machine was off.

After reading here, got the thyristor part and replaced it by resoldering it in, hey presto all good to go again !

The part itself is only $5 for a pack of 10 from China, easy to swap out if you have a soldering iron. Hardest bit was getting to the board, first take the bottom off but then there's 2 longer screws going vertically near the steam wand and group head. Amazing to think one little part can render the rest of the machine useless. Will head other advice and switch off at the wall after using it, we have left ours on at the wall, never realised the on/off switch on this would still let power through when in off position.

Will add pics if I can but this site is a bit clunky.