Thread: 6910 backflush blocked ?

6910 backflush blocked ?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive just given my 3 yr old 6910 a descaling and clean. All went well. However, I noticed shortly after, that the gauge was no longer operating. No big deal, I dont use it anyway. But, then I noticed during a backflush clean, that pressure is no longer being released into the tray. In other words, its as if the release down to the tray is blocked ?

Ive tried running a cleaning tablet through it. No change.

In every other respect the machine still works, but I suspect that it is not a good thing for the release / backflush path to be blocked or otherwise not functioning.

Any advice gratefully received.

Paul

Re: 6910 backflush blocked ?

If it was completely blocked the group handle would remain under pressure and you wouldnt (easily) get it off.

AM should have some suggestions for you.

nothing is blocked, hence why no release of pressure. Your gauge should work 100% as an indicator of whats happening. Sounds like your "3-way" valve is stuck in the open position. Exactly what happened to me. Try a few more backflush cycles with Cafetto.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 414D444447477D4A4D4F405047220 link=1276394810/0#0 date=1276394810
    Ive just given my 3 yr old 6910 a descaling and clean. All went well. However, I noticed shortly after, that the gauge was no longer operating. No big deal, I dont use it anyway. But, then I noticed during a backflush clean, that pressure is no longer being released into the tray. In other words, its as if the release down to the tray is blocked ? *
    giggled like a schoolgirl/...

After 3 years I would have run at least 3 chemical back flushes... Did you do the shower screens as well.

Sounds like a late effort in cleaning may have released some scale / gunk and it is nor stuch further in teh systems..

Note:.. This is not a Sunbeam problem.. This is USERS.. And Have seen people do it on other machines as well.. The issue is Thermo blocks and the associated valves / etc are not so forgiving... Hence do ya maintenance as prescribed.. Not as an opps now what else should I do..

I have religiously (just ask my wife ;-)) back flushed once a week, run the clean cycle with tablet once a month, and de-scaled every 6 months. In fact the problem seems to have surfaced after my most recent de-scale. Not blaming sunbeam at all, just after some advice on what the problem might be.

As said, the gauge doesnt move, and theres no release into the drip tray anymore. Stuck valve sounds plausible, but it must be stuck well and truly, as I have run the machine quite a bit since problem appeared.

Ill try another flush. Anyone know where to get cleaning powder in Perth? The sunbeam tablets are rather pricey.

A_M

Cleaning is one thing..

Water another..

Over dosing / Maxing out the system will put coffee fines into teh system...

ONE little bit of coffee grit or lump of scale will jam a Valve..

Sounds like a pull down and total service.

Hi there
    I have this exact problem. Aside from a slap on the wrist ;) did you find the solution to your problem? Id opened it up and followed the plumbing and came to the assumption that the 3 way valve was where my problem was but then gave up and hit the interweb.

Was considering taking it to get it looked at but didnt really want to spend 200 ish $ on a 3 year old machine repair job...

Cheers

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 1D383F39392E1325363A36570 link=1276394810/6#6 date=1286771197
    Hi there
    I have this exact problem. Aside from a slap on the wrist ;) *did you find the solution to your problem? Id opened it up and followed the plumbing and came to the assumption that the 3 way valve was where my problem was but then gave up and hit the interweb.

Was considering taking it to get it looked at but didnt really want to spend 200 ish $ on a 3 year old machine repair job...

Cheers
    Where are you ?

If your problem is sort of like this:

As said, the gauge doesnt move, and theres no release into the drip tray anymore. Stuck valve sounds plausible, but it must be stuck well and truly, as I have run the machine quite a bit since problem appeared.
    It will be coffee jammed in the head or teh line to teh Valve... Not a true 3 way as some expect..

If ya in Brisbane then it could be a simple fix. But rather labour intensive :o

If not in Brisbane or looking to off load... PM me

Problem is exactly as described by the OP. Can make coffee / steam but the backflush is "blocked" so I am also a bit sus about making coffee as who knows what gunk is in there. Interestingly - in my case - the pressure needle stopped working well before the backflush did.

I am in Adelade - but Im not liking the sound of "labour intensive" :) .

Will PM. Thanks for the input.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 694C4B4D4D5A6751424E42230 link=1276394810/8#8 date=1286775514
    Problem is exactly as described by the OP. Can make coffee / steam but the backflush is "blocked" so I am also a bit sus about making coffee as who knows what gunk is in there. Interestingly - in my case - the pressure needle stopped working well before the backflush did.

I am in Adelade - but Im not liking the sound of "labour intensive" :) .

Will PM. Thanks for the input.
    Flicked you a few comments... Your call as to try or not.

There was a post a while ago about the same issue and I think the user got his all going again.. Had a quick look but a matter of using teh advanced search and getting some key words and all teh other search option just right.

Got a bit on, so may try looking later..

Roads flooded and rat runners everywhere... You would think that after a few occasions some would learn... Lots of rain.. The usual places will flood.. Then there are the.. Its only water I can drive through that ::) ::) ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 4B646D6F78476B646B6D6F676F647E0A0 link=1276394810/9#9 date=1286778025
    You would think that after a few occasions some would learn... Lots of rain.. The usual places will flood..Then there are the.. Its only water I can drive through that
    ;D ;D ;D
    Coming from "Big River Country" (Grafton) I know what you mean.
    Quite a few years ago there was a huge deluge in Sydney so I decided to take a different way home and arrived only a few minutes later than usual.
    What I did was avoid places I guessed would flood (this was a HUGE downpour).
    Everyone else got stuck in places that didnt usually flood, let alone those that did.

My poor Dad was working at Blacktown that day and unfortunately wasnt able to avoid everyone like I did.
    He got home 4 hours late.

City folk think the roads have flooded f the water reaches the rims. ::)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4579647F757463767E75110 link=1276394810/10#10 date=1286779560
    City folk think the roads have flooded f the water reaches the rims.
    Yea but they all reckon then can drive in Flooded creeks so unless there is a full on POLICE manned road block. A city driver in a baby car, will go a round a Dump Truck and a massive big council 4x4 Diesel and think they are fine.

It is only when teh the creek decides to back-flush them and they are 20M off teh road, that they even start to think - Something might be not quite right.

PS JD here is a pic of what we were talking about... The backflush vent ;D

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1286780665/1#1

We have a lot of flooding up here from time to time - I met one idiot who stated he could not see the river height signs so thought it must be safe :o needless to say his vehicle was somewhere down river. All our laws and organisations that do rescue are stopping the law of natural selection from working [smiley=evil.gif]

An update to this aging topic:

I have had this issue, or something very similar, twice and am reasonably meticulous regarding my maintenance. Actually, during backflushing, a tube popped off during the process and water flooded through the base of the machine. Fortunately there is little in that area for a serious electrical hazard.

The solution is quite simple, provided the tube remains in place. There is a small brass pipe that leads into the drip tray. It is not a valve or anything sophisticated, just a narrow diameter tube that gives that satisfying hiss after a good shot of coffee is extracted. Well, the little blighter gets blocked with grounds quite easily and those grounds do get back into the system no matter how careful you are. The simple fix is to get some stiff wire and poke it through to clean it out. Easy as.

Unfortunately, if the plastic tube inside pops off due to the build up of pressure, then you have the choice of either sending it in to be fixed for a couple of hundred bucks, or working out how to remove the base and fixing it yourself. Itís not too difficult to do, but it is certainly not for the faint hearted.

The take home tip, is as soon as it gets blocked and the backpressure wonít release, stop trying or you will blow that tube off.