Thread: EM6910 Runs out of Steam

EM6910 Runs out of Steam

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,
    I have a weird problem just started where I can steam one jug of milk fine, struggle on the second, and basically nothing on the third.

If stop the steam and leave it for 10 mins or so then I can get enough steam power to do another jug.

I do clean & descale as per the prescribed times, But not sure how you clean out the steam. * I have read older posts which seem to be split between never run descaler through the wand as per the manual, and the go ahead give it a whirl!

It is only 7-8 months old so I am guessing a trip back to the shop?

Cheers

Re: EM6910 Runs out of Steam

You could give it a go with the descaler, but if it doesnt work and you have to take it back to sunbeam you run the risk of voiding your warranty. At 7 months old i would take it back. i hope this helps :)
    Good luck

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 20322A25282833470 link=1277149865/0#0 date=1277149865
    Hi All,
    I have a weird problem just started where I can steam one jug of milk fine, struggle on the second, and basically nothing on the third.

If stop the steam and leave it for 10 mins or so then I can get enough steam power to do another jug.

I do clean & descale as per the prescribed times, But not sure how you clean out the steam. * I have read older posts which seem to be split between never run descaler through the wand as per the manual, and the go ahead give it a whirl!

It is only 7-8 months old so I am guessing a trip back to the shop?

Cheers
    I would suggest your correct... And things are as they should be.. *Do not try this on a Silvia or other small machines; even some mid range units would be having a little issue with 3 jugs in a row..... They need time to re fill and come to temp etc..

The thermo block is not designed and nor is the pump; for continuous running...... *I think there may even be an auto cut-out *after about a min or two... *Even a warning some where as to not running continuously.. *Even the best units that have vibe or even rotary pumps have "time on/running" issues.. *They get hot; they do not work as well.. Law of physics..

Coffee / Stean *or Steam / Coffee * or * Coffee and Steam at the same time... However there is always a break between one lot of coffees... If ya making Chi Latte etc... There should still be a short break between steaming the milk and pouring and to get the next ready..

Thanks AM, This was three coffees, in a row over about 20 minutes, so steam milk, shot, pour, deliver, chat then wander back to the machine.

I have been able to do this in the past. It does seem to be a partial blockage as the initial steam doesnt seem to be close to what it was a week ago.

Thinking about it as well, when I turn the steam on and clear the moisture out of the pipe I usually leave it to run for thirty seconds or so, (just for my 1 year old to get a steam bath as she walks past!) Since the weekend there isnt a visible vapour trail coming out of the wand.

Cheers

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 76647C737E7E65110 link=1277149865/3#3 date=1277167953
    Thanks AM, *This was three coffees, in a row over about 20 minutes, so steam milk, shot, pour, deliver, chat then wander back to the machine.
    OK... That is the missing detail... See how the lack of... Can lead one to many possible outcomes :-)

Now if ya were based around Tauranga or Mt Maunganui I could be more plesent.. But as ya not; you just get the usual AM rant...

Would suggest that you have some level od scale build up... *ASSUMING LOTS HERE *;)

1: How do yoy treat ya water ?

2: Do you re energise the Sunbeam filter and or change it ?

3: What is the water hardness like... If ya have a SS kettle... */ Jug have a look inside and see what level od white scum is built up..

4: Would go with a de - scale of the steam wand.. WITH RESERVATIONS and a BIG Disclaimer..

Use a good de-scaler.... * (If ya kettle is dirty.. Test on that first... You want dissolved scale ... Not lumps coming off :-)

A: follow the instruction previously posted ... Ie. Do it out side and change the steam temp and wetness...

Change the setting for the steam and follow the Manuals instructions for a de scale... Also clean the shower screen etc...

Just stop about half the way into it and start running the steam in short / small bursts.. *You may even get a wet cold cloth and wrap around the steam wand..

Do this a few times and let it sit for a while...

Then continue with the standard *procedure...

B: Flush and Flush again... Include the steam wand

C: Did I say Flush and Flush again... *;D

Let it sit / cool down and then put back inside *and then do a toss shot of coffee and milk..

At this stage you should be good to go... OR NOT...

PS. Try not to over use the steam if ya water is poor... Scale is a pain and no machine is totally safe... But thermoblocks by *design are more sensitive... Just like instantaneous how water systems.. They always scale up quicker Vs a standard how water system..

Thanks for the prompt replies!

We are on tank water so lime scale isnt usually much of a problem!, 11 year old kettle looks slightly brown inside!

I replaced the water filter about 3 months ago.

My wife dropped the machine back to the shop today, but they left a message saying there was no problem with it, (but that is just the sales girl) So I will give them a call tomorrow and see if I can explain it better!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 26342C232E2E35410 link=1277149865/5#5 date=1277194588
    My wife dropped the machine back to the shop today, but they left a message saying there was no problem with it, (but that is just the sales girl) So I will give them a call tomorrow and see if I can explain it better!
    They will do the standard test..

1 min and look as to how much water is collected at default settings..

Do the de-scale...

Right, got the machine back.
    " No fault found ran through hot water slight blockage once now appears to be clear"

Tried it out now it now works better than before so maybe the trip in the car dislodged something!

Would the hot water flush do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by 68474E4C5B644847484E4C444C475D290 link=1277149865/6#6 date=1277197751
    They will do the standard test..
    Quote Originally Posted by 4E5C444B46465D290 link=1277149865/7#7 date=1277701877
    No fault found
    Typical.

I got this answer when the 6900 went in for a dead steam pump.

Both I and the Customer Service Rep spent a long time diagnosing the problem, then some lazy tech strikes it working and doesnt assume an intermittent problem so sends it back having done NOTHING.

5 days later the pumped packed it in again an Sunbeam coughed up a brand new 6910 for my inconvenience.

There are techs and there are techs. ::)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 57455D525F5F44300 link=1277149865/7#7 date=1277701877
    Right, got the machine back.
    " No fault found ran through hot water slight blockage once now appears to be clear"

Tried it out now it now works better than before so maybe the trip in the car dislodged something!

Would the hot water flush do anything? *
    Not sure what Hot Through test is ???

Or a HOT water flush... May need to ask my contacts :D

Hot water part is nothing more than a by pass valve from teh group and nothing to do with STEAM...

Maybe that filled teh Water tank with hOT water ???

OR

Maybe they user a tank with HOT water and some cleaning fluid ???

Would like to Know more... If the lines had scum / growth / moss etc etc :D ;D

PS. The steam pump is only rated at 40 or 50C and would not like to put HOT water through it ??? as heat traveling back to the pump is one of the killers of the steam pump.. Hence they have implemented a number of heat sink methods to manage it..

PS. The EM6900 has a better steam/heat management process and is what I implement in my AMB mods :D

A_M

Was able to do a swap over on the weekend and Brewman got the MISS *BCF Electronica and I got a tired EM6910...

1: Steam was an Issue

2: Gauge was not working..

A1: *Made my mods to the steam pump and steam valve...

ALL GOOD...

A2: *Had to fully strip and in desperation DRILL out the head. *What ever got stuck, was in there hard and fast and have to assume that over time it had become part of the head *:(

All Good now.

So the outcome is that a mate of mine who has been desperate for a system for some six months now has access to a loan EM69AMB. * He is hoping that it will allow him to demonstrate the many positives to having a machine at home.

I took a snap or two for BrewMan but they were not great quality.

a: *Gauge is now working and at the same time the,
    b: *Steam is a solid blow and you can see the depth of the blast. Plenty strong enough to steam milk and blow it out the jug..
    c: *What happens when you pick up a hot Miss BCF and forget about the head..

Ouch AM! :( It bit you hard!

Is your steam mod patented ;) The steam was odd, it would work fine for several weeks then go all pathetic for a few weeks before returning again.

Glad you got it sorted :)