Thread: how many cups can a Rancilio Silvia do in half an hour?

how many cups can a Rancilio Silvia do in half an hour?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    If I had say 10 friends over :) and I happened to like making coffee ;) would I be able to give them all a buzz :D? What is the capacity of the Holding tank (or should that be a boiler or is that a "pre heat" kind of thing?

If the Rancilio Silviais not up to par what is that we can talk about on this thread?

TC

Re: how many cups can a Rancilio Silvia do in half an hour?

Quote Originally Posted by 43425F5945485F434E414C5F46485E2D0 link=1277800507/0#0 date=1277800507
    If I had say 10 friends over :) and I happened to like making coffee *;) would I be able to give them all a buzz :D? ....
    ....Id recommend that you set your sights on a HX machine...but you will probably need to find a few bucks behind the couch to do it ;)

Chris

Should be no probs. The only issue would be if they all want cappuccino or (even worse) Latte. Even then you would just batch them in twos or fours, depending on the size of your milk jug.

The boiler is 300ml or maybe a smidge under, but by the time you pour your first double, grind and tamp the next, the boiler will have refilled and reheated. Tank is 2.5L.

Waiting for the steam to get to temp will be the longest wait (30-40sec)

I am going on the performance of my Lelit. Chris (above) will probably know better....... But I could do it no probs on the Lelit (pl041)

Quote Originally Posted by 1F2A27201408242D2D2E2E4B0 link=1277800507/1#1 date=1277801018
    Quote Originally Posted by 43425F5945485F434E414C5F46485E2D0 link=1277800507/0#0 date=1277800507
    If I had say 10 friends over :) and I happened to like making coffee *;) would I be able to give them all a buzz :D? ....
    ....Id recommend that you set your sights on a HX machine...but you will probably need to find a few bucks behind the couch to do it ;)

Chris
    Such as... Please name some

TC

Hello Bantem...

Have a scrounge around in http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?board=BrewPointy for some ideas ;)

Chris

something like this

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1276759456

or maybe a

http://www.lamborghinicaffe.com.au/espresso-machine/oscar.php

http://www.coffee-a-roma.com.au/shop/en/package-deals-12/oscar-grinder-131.html

karchow

Or.....

Read through the espresso machine review thread here and go from there.... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163235000

Mal.

When I had my Silvia, on many occassions i made coffees for up to 20people - maybe they werent up to usual standard, but were still pretty good and always a hit. Miss Silvia is a good machine. Milk was the hard part - I used a 1 litre jug and heated the milk in 2 goes ie heated still Silvia ran out of puff, waited and then completed. As I said, not usual practice, but still appreciated by one and all. If i had a room of coffesbobs, I would be in trouble though ;D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5744515958360 link=1277800507/7#7 date=1277852128
    When I had my Silvia, on many occassions i made coffees for up to 20people - maybe they werent up to usual standard, but were still pretty good and always a hit. *Miss Silvia is a good machine. Milk was the hard part - I used a 1 litre jug and heated the milk in 2 goes ie heated still Silvia ran out of puff, waited and then completed. As I said, not usual practice, but still appreciated by one and all. *If i had a room of coffesbobs, I would be in trouble though *;D
    :o :o Argon, you are VERY lucky you didnt kill the boiler element.

My experience with Silvia (9 years) cappas for 2 easy, for 4 ok, 6 things slowing down (steam issues) getting to be a chore, 10 dont even bother, unless you want to spend a good part of the evening at it.
    Silvia is a great machine as long as you understand its limitations. :)

Just gonna throw it out there but I dont think the machine is all you should be considering. I have on occasions made large number of drinks in a row and I have an HX machine so the machine never struggled. The problem for me was my grinder. I have a Nuova Simonelli Grinta and I found that after 10-15 drinks it was getting pretty warm. This had quite a dramatic affect on the pours. Perhaps it is only a problem with my grinder but something worth thinking about. Other people should be able to shed some light.

good point. yeah a grinder that can take the heat is an issue

KJM

Just to throw another curve ball into this - I recently did the barista thing at a colleagues 60th. Dont know how many I actually made, but it was well over 20.

This wasnt a totally pleasant thing - as Jon suggested - batched in pairs. Stretch milk, do 2 lattés. Repeat till you cant take it anymore :-/

The only thing to remember is that you can only (really) stretch 2 milks in the one go without refilling the boiler. If you try for 4 it works just fine, but I think it exposes too much heater element for my comfort.

My machine has a PID with a temperature display too. Without that, itd be a mega pain - youd need to surf in on the temps after switching from steam back to heat. But it isnt all doom and gloom - Miss Silvia is capable of doing it. But if you do it, Ill lay quids on the table right now you wont want to do it again! It is so much easier with an HX machine!!!

/Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by 6766612C0 link=1277800507/12#12 date=1278146288
    But if you do it, Ill lay quids on the table right now you wont want to do it again!
    Unless you dont enjoy the company, then you have an excuse to spend the evening in the kitchen, let the other half handle the guests ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 6766612C0 link=1277800507/12#12 date=1278146288
    It is so much easier with an HX machine!!!
    No argument from me there. ;D

How close to Adelaide is near enough, direction? :)

Quote Originally Posted by 1E1F18550 link=1277800507/12#12 date=1278146288
    Just to throw another curve ball into this - I recently did the barista thing at a colleagues 60th. *Dont know how many I actually made, but it was well over 20.

This wasnt a totally pleasant thing - as Jon suggested - batched in pairs. *Stretch milk, do 2 lattés. *Repeat till you cant take it anymore *:-/

The only thing to remember is that you can only (really) stretch 2 milks in the one go without refilling the boiler. *If you try for 4 it works just fine, but I think it exposes too much heater element for my comfort.

My machine has a PID with a temperature display too. *Without that, itd be a mega pain - youd need to surf in on the temps after switching from steam back to heat. *But it isnt all doom and gloom - Miss Silvia is capable of doing it. *But if you do it, Ill lay quids on the table right now you wont want to do it again! *It is so much easier with an HX machine!!!

/Kevin
    After having 16 family members over for Christmas and slaving over Silvia all day I very quickly went out and purchased my Isomac HX, handling visitors now is so much easier and relaxing :) :) :)

KJM

Quote Originally Posted by 08343D2530510 link=1277800507/13#13 date=1278148005

How close to Adelaide is near enough, direction? *:)
    Ironbank, actually. Less than 20km from the GPO but nobody knows where it is!

@greenman - if 18 of my relatives turned up, Id take the tractor down to the dam and wait till they left :o

Miss Silvia is strictly a small family machine, but she can venture into extended catering if sufficient motivation and infrequency exists!

/Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by 1E1F18550 link=1277800507/15#15 date=1278231111
    Ironbank, actually.Less than 20km from the GPO but nobody knows where it is!
    I do, my dad grew up there ;D bet its cold up that way tonight. :)

Had 8 over this morning. Everyone wanted latte or flat whites. Batches of two extractions, pull milk, pour & serve.

Didnt have a stop watch running, but probably ~20 mins. As noted above, biggest issue is waiting for boiler to heat for steam. Pour & serve time does let things cool off a little, but temp was right up for last extraction.

Really must get a bigger milk jug so could have pulled milk and then do 4 extractions.

Rocky doser grinder kept up without probs - ran it only twice.