Thread: typical power consumption for rancilio silvia / letit combi for one-off coffee and cold start?

typical power consumption for rancilio silvia / letit combi for one-off coffee and cold start?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

First time poster.

My local coffee shop in Brisbane (West End - Albertos) has jacked his coffee price to $5 for a large flat white/cappuccino etc. This has tipped me to investigate whether its time to take the plunge and purchase my own gear.

I like the look/specs of the Letit, and obviously also the Silvia.

Im just wondering if anyone has a rough idea of the amount of power consumed to make one-off coffees from scratch (say each morning) using the machines above?
    ( taking in to account warm up times from cold start / bleeding / brewing etc)

(Im only likely to make 1 or 2 coffees per day).

For example, my kettle draws around 2000 watts for 5 minutes to boil cold water.

A watt-hour is the amount of energy consumed by an appliance in one hour if it operates at a power of one watt.

Engergex in QLD charges roughly 18c/kWh.
    "kilowatt-hour" (kWh) equal to 1000 watt-hours.

For 5 minutes of operation = 2000 * (5/60) = 166 W/h
    166/1000 * 18 = ~ 3 cents

cheers

Matt.

Re: typical power consumption for rancilio silvia / letit combi for one-off coffee and cold start?

Matt more importantly you have not factored in the grinder power cost !!

when the grinder kicks in the lights are going to dim.....

you better ad another 1 cent per hr to your costs !!

makes those $5 coffees look cheap *::)

Re: typical power consumption for rancilio silvia / letit combi for one-off coffee and cold start?

Welcome Matt

Power consumption is difficult because your heating element isnt on all the time - the thermostat will switch it on and off to maintain a temp inside the boiler. The machines you mentioned I think then increase the boiler temp to generate steam. The theres boiler size, wattage, consumption to factor in and then theres the type of coffee you will prepare: espresso and long black wont use as much power as milk based drinks.

I can confidently say that cost of beans + running costs (per cup) is well under the $5 your current cafe is charging.

In answer to your first questions: whether its time to take the plunge and purchase my own gear. definitely, I did and have never looked back. Careful though as once you start there are plenty of dangers that may lure yout o spend more of your hard-earned.

But, except for initial outlay, in the long run you will save money compared to buying from a cafe...and its usually more satisfying!

Quote Originally Posted by 373B323F3F365A0 link=1278303756/1#1 date=1278304465
    Matt more importantly you have not factored in the grinder power cost !!

when the grinder kicks in the lights are going to dim.....

you better ad another 1 cent per hr to your costs !!

makes those $5 coffees look cheap *::)
    I agree it seems a stupid question. Im just trying to work out all the costs and whether it makes sense/worthwhile for me :)

Id be quite happy to shell out $3-4 for a good coffee - just to get out of house in to the warm sun / talk with other regulars / not have to do any *cleaning/maintenace* of equipment / the shop is also walking distance away etc etc. But $5 per coffee has me a little outraged.

Hence my question regarding costs. As Im trying to take in to account power costs / equipment maintenance / inconvenience time costs associated with cleaning the beast etc. With my job, I dont really see people as it is. With my own coffee machine I will hardly leave the house!

Being very very rough and using the awesome power of guesstimation less than $0.06 fpr every 1/2 hour of on time from a cold start and less cost 1/2 hour if you leave it on. So for a possible bill of $50 for the entire year if you do that twice a day every day ;)

During the initial heat up of the boiler of 5-6 minutes the Silvia will be ON from there on out it will be off more than it is on as the machine heats up overall. But without putting a meter on it you may as well measure the bit of string I threw in the bin last week as it is twice as long as half its length ;)

Basically the only time power is really a factor is if you are going to leave a bigger boiler like a commercial 1-2 group on 24/7 and then insulation helps lots with the power bill.

In your case enjoy the coffees they are cheaper and most likely better than you will get at $3-4 each down the street ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 656F7A6D6D627670030 link=1278303756/2#2 date=1278305056
    Power consumption is difficult because your heating element isnt on all the time - the thermostat will switch it on and off to maintain a temp inside the boiler. The machines you mentioned I think then increase the boiler temp to generate steam. The theres boiler size, wattage, consumption to factor in and then theres the type of coffee you will prepare: espresso and long black wont use as much power as milk based drinks.
    Thanks for the response. I was just curious real world electricity costs involved in making a coffee using one of these coffee-snob machines :)

I guess my main concern was opening an electricity bill that tripled in price due to my new "toy".

sorry Matt i was taking the Pi..

as for cost by far your biggest will be good / great coffee beans.

assuming $40 per kilo, and around 25g per shot (double and some waste) is 40 shots per kilo or $1 per shot made at home.
    (i just weighed what i grind for a shot = 21grms)

depending on what milk you like = ?

I roughly estimate 1.40 per cup in my house based on that $40 a kilo beans ? factoring in milk and power

but i roast my own beans so the cost goes down but need to ad back the cost of equipment and time etc.

but i often have two coffees at home then go down the road to the local and have 2 more......... not sure if any saving at all *;D

I wish you all the best in your adventure. but basing it on cost is fraught with danger due to upgraditis......

Quote Originally Posted by 434F464B4B422E0 link=1278303756/6#6 date=1278306733
    as for cost by far your biggest will be good / great coffee beans.

assuming $40 per kilo, and around 25g per shot (double and some waste) is 40 shots per kilo or $1 per shot made at home.
    Damn, I didnt even take that in to account!

yeah you might bring the coffee price down a bit using say 15-18g a

shot but that was an estimate on what i use and what i know great beans are worth.

using supermarket beans is not really going to give you the best coffee you can make...... make friends with a SEQ roaster.... ;)

TC

I think if its all about the $, the cheapest, nastiest machine and pre-ground supermarket coffee will do the job....

Doable for <$100.

Would I drink it? No way....

Hi Matt S,

I went to Veneziano on Montague rd at West End a month or two ago and paid only $2.80 for a standard size flat white, as good as Ive had anywhere.

If your current cafe has jacked prices up a bit too aggressively for your back pocket you should give them a go if you dont end up buying your own equipment for a while.

I have a "home" power meter and a modified power board so I can check the energy consumption of just about anything in my house. Plug it into the computer and it can give you a nice graph of the energy usage over time.

If you think it would be worthwhile to compare my breville to your Lelit / Silvia let me know and Ill make some pretty pictures for you. It will be thermoblock vs boiler, but still may be interesting.

Also, I recently calculated our coffee costs for work. Excluding the machine and power, and using good beans from Pioneer (sponsor), including postage, it comes to about 50c per cup. I think...

Quote Originally Posted by 353D3532383E5C0 link=1278303756/11#11 date=1278376086
    I have a "home" power meter and a modified power board so I can check the energy consumption of just about anything in my house.Plug it into the computer and it can give you a nice graph of the energy usage over time.

If you think it would be worthwhile to compare my breville to your Lelit / Silvia let me know and Ill make some pretty pictures for you.It will be thermoblock vs boiler, but still may be interesting.

Also, I recently calculated our coffee costs for work.Excluding the machine and power, and using good beans from Pioneer (sponsor), including postage, it comes to about 50c per cup.I think...
    Thanks for the info - no need to run your power meter.. unless you are interested yourself!

Rancilio Silvia apparently has 1100W heating element.
    I figure at very worst, it would be like running a kettle for 30 minutes
    So roughly 9 cents of power. (1000watts x 0.5hours x 18c/kWh.)

I think the 15Amp 2-Group commercial likely costs a fair bit more to run - but at $5 a coffee at my local - Im sure he is covering costs ok!

Quote Originally Posted by 756B707976767776180 link=1278303756/12#12 date=1278466708
    So roughly 9 cents of power. (1000watts x 0.5hours x 18c/kWh.)
    WRONG they do not run all the time. Forget about the power cost and enjoy the coffee ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 0E100B020D0D0C0D630 link=1278303756/12#12 date=1278466708
    but at $5 a coffee at my local - Im sure he is covering costs ok!
    If youre worried about the local cafes costs, dont forget he has to pay for wages, including accruing leave, air-con, fridges, maintenance, furnishings, advertising, rent, storage & delivery, administration, as well as the inefficiencies of his own workers and processes, plus keep some left over for his own mortgage... *If its good coffee, Id happily pay the $5.

Problem is, if you start on the coffeesnobs path, you may not think he makes good coffee any more ;)

KJM

Hey Matt - just saw this thread (been out of it for a while...).

The Engineer in me made me go plug the powermate device in and check Ms. Silvia this morning. I made two lattés and then 10 mins later another couple. My Silvia has a PID controller and the technique is to stretch the milk first (which took 0.0889kWhr) and then do the two shots (bringing it up to 0.1125kWhr). So there you go - from cold (it is pretty darn cold where I live right now - input water temp was only 8C!) itll set you back almost zip to make two coffees in the morning! Budget on about second crack maybe...

Cheers
    /Kevin