Thread: which coffee machine

which coffee machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    Im looking to upgrade my current Sunbeam coffee machine to a Silvia. It seems the Silvia is quite popular. However, it seems you need to temperature surf? Im a bit weary of that as it seems quite complicated.
    I just want an easy machine that once I turn on, a light or indicator that tells me the temperature is right and I can make my coffee.
    I only drink milk based drinks such as cappuccinos, so a machine that has a powerful frother/ steam wand.

I wouldnt mind spending a bit more, as I will want to use this machine for at least a few years without upgrading.

I also read after the Silvia, the next machines that are worthwhile looking at are the entry level VMB, Diadema, Isomac?

It would be really good if someone could provide me some feedback as there are so many selections out there!! :-/
    Thanks
    Michelle

TC

Re: which coffee machine

Quote Originally Posted by 696D676C61686861676C656A363434040 link=1279160714/0#0 date=1279160714
    Hi,
    Im looking to upgrade my current Sunbeam coffee machine to a Silvia. It seems the Silvia is quite popular. However, it seems you need to temperature surf? Im a bit weary of that as it seems quite complicated.
    I just want an easy machine that once I turn on, a light or indicator that tells me the temperature is right and I can make my coffee.
    I only drink milk based drinks such as cappuccinos, so a machine that has a powerful frother/ steam wand.

I wouldnt mind spending a bit more, as I will want to use this machine for at least a few years without upgrading.

I also read after the Silvia, the next machines that are worthwhile looking at are the entry level VMB, Diadema, Isomac?

It would be really good if someone could provide me some feedback as there are so many selections out there!! *:-/
    Thanks
    Michelle
    Hello Michelle,

I really think people get way too concerned with the Silvia and temperature surfing. Bottom line is that you cannot use steam to pull an espresso shot, so if you hear steam as you flush, you wait until you dont. Youre then ready to go.

Single boiler machines such as the Silvia/Perfetta/Piccolo et al require boiler priming (do a search) or have a look over http://www.espressocompany.com.au/downloads/DomobarUserGuideSteaming.pdf -so if youre not up to fiddling with a machine, you really need to be looking for a heat exchanger machine and shopping in the next price bracket.

Best bet is to buy a suitable machine for your needs. It saves on future upgrades and wasted bucks ;)

Youre welcome to call for a chat if you would like some advice.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7F4A47407468444D4D4E4E2B0 link=1279160714/1#1 date=1279161212
    I really think people get way too concerned with the Silvia and temperature surfing.
    I tend to agree Chris, Silvia is really not a difficult machine to use.
    The one proviso I would make is that new owners must be aware that pulling shots one after another is no problem, however after steaming milk its necessary to bring the boiler temp down before pulling another shot, to do this simply turn steam switch off and hit the brew switch, allow the water to run (into jug or bowl) until the boiler light comes on and your right to go again, easy. :)

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. I suppose I should provide a bit more details in regards to my needs.
    1. I only drink cappuccinos and lattes, at this stage dont drink espressos (but that may change in the future??).
    2. At this stage my sunbeam steamer is very weak and takes ages to get the milk done and even so its not the smooth velvety texture (maybe my skills?).
    3. I have already changed to the unpressurized filter basket on my current sunbeam, but the temperature seems a bit low and tastes weak.
    4. I only make 2 drinks in the morning and at night.
    5. Originally, was thinking about the Silvia as people say it is the best value for money, quality in its class and the steamer wand is quite powerful.
    6. They say to make life easier get a PID installed so you dont need to temperature surf and know when the machine is ready. Not sure if this is the correct information?
    7. But checking on the price, after installing a PID kit it will be not much more than say a VBM Domobar Picallo, Diadema BFC Perfetta, Isomac Zaffiro.

But my question is, what will be the advantages of buying one of the above to the Silvia or should I just stick to the Silvia without a PID kit and just learn how to use it without the PID kit.

I just want a reliable and good quality machine that will do the job as stated above.

Thanks
    Michelle

Not so sure I would consider spending the money on a PID kit with the Silvia is money well spent at around $1200? These days for a touch more you can get the first of the HX machines in a Nuova Simonelli Oscar at $1250 http://www.lamborghinicaffe.com.au/s...=16140&cat=249

Best bet is if you can to get along to one of the sponsors here and have a play with some machines then look behind the cushions on the couch and spend well :)

Banned

Or an Isomac Zaffiro with an e61 grouphead for $1350 (after 10% coffeesnobs discount :))

Quote Originally Posted by 3B3C38373F352030373E590 link=1279160714/4#4 date=1279166742
    Not so sure I would consider spending the money on a PID kit with the Silvia is money well spent at around $1200? These days for a touch more you can get the first of the HX machines in a Nuova Simonelli Oscar at $1250 http://www.lamborghinicaffe.com.au/s...=16140&cat=249

Best bet is if you can to get along to one of the sponsors here and have a play with some machines then look behind the cushions on the couch and spend well :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2A2E242F222B2B22242F2629757777470 link=1279160714/3#3 date=1279164714
    But my question is, what will be the advantages of buying one of the above to the Silvia or should I just stick to the Silvia without a PID kit and just learn how to use it without the PID kit.

I just want a reliable and good quality machine that will do the job as stated above.

Thanks
    Michelle
    Hi Michelle,

You are correct that a PIDkits SIlvia (the best in my opinion) comes very close in price to one of these.

THe Perfetta and the Piccolo can be dialled in very accurately for temperature using a Scace device and we do that gratis with every machine in this class- so no PID is required.

My pick is the Diadema. With the all stainless chassis and cool touch, ball-jointed wands, none of the others comes close on finish nor quality.

Chris

Dont forget Michelle, your going to need a decent grinder as well. ;)

Yes, I know the road to drinking good coffee will incur a big black hole on your wallet. Just like the other black hole on my husbands photography hobby. So we are equal now.!! 8-)

Our situation is the classic, first bought a plunger with supermarket pre grounded coffee and thought that was okay.

Next bought a Sunbeam EM3800 just for the steam wand so we can froth the milk for cappuccinos. Then bought the Sunbeam grinder and freshly roasted beans locally. Somehow the Sunbeam grinder failed after a week took back to Myer and gave me a refund. Then bought the Compak K3T (actually the Wega one which someone just told me). I loved the Compak so much better.

After reading forums again, bought the unpressurized filter basket, also improved taste.

Now, I think the weakest link is the coffee machine. Told my husband about the approx price and his eye ball nearly came flying out as he thinks its not the end of it :D

So I think its best to bit the bullet and get one that will last me a few years so I dont have to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by 7D797378757C7C757378717E222020100 link=1279160714/8#8 date=1279168921
    so I dont have to upgrade
    Famous last words around here ;D

If you can stretch it then I would skip all the single boiler machines and jump to a HX as they still suffer from the waiting time to cool down after steaming like the Silvia. That said the new toy at Talk Coffee looks interesting and is worth considering 8-)

The main benifit of a HX or Boiler/Themoblock will be the ability to punch out more coffees quicker if you have to make a few in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by 6C686269646D6D646269606F333131010 link=1279160714/8#8 date=1279168921
    Then bought the Compak K3T
    Ahh so grinder problem solved the K3T has good reviews. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6C686269646D6D646269606F333131010 link=1279160714/8#8 date=1279168921
    Just like the other black hole on my husbands photography hobby.
    I can identify with that, both my wife and I are into photography, even more expensive than this espresso game. ::)

I hope if I made the correct decision so I dont have to upgrade!!

Other than the 3 models I mentioned above are there any other ones that I should look at as well?

I looked at the Nuova Simonelli Oscar, but I think I prefer the all metal/aluminum look. Maybe it sounds stupid, at least with the metal look I can justify the price to my other half ::)

Actually, probably looking more at durability side of things such as plastic cracking after a few years.

Thank you for all your patience.

Hi Jon and other photographers out there,

In the photographic scenario, currently I would be using a cheap entry level compact digital camera. I originally wanted to upgrade the the Canon Powershot G11 (Silvia), but maybe I can go to an entry level DSLR such as the EOS 450D, but do not want to overspend to a Canon EOS 7D.

Hey Michellechan having upgraded to the Silvia 18 months ago I was a little concerned about temp surfing but it is quite easy- people often bring it up because they know if u dont u will bun of ur boiler up for $$$, so we bring it up not to scare but because we care!! :P

Its no big deal- quite easy and great machine!! Looked after it will serve u for many many years!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5E5E5E505C55555656330 link=1279160714/13#13 date=1279635107
    if u dont u will bun of ur boiler up for $$$,
    Temp surfing is a method of manipulating the temp of Silvia, not doing it wont harm the boiler. * :)

Quote Originally Posted by 2F2B212A272E2E27212A232C707272420 link=1279160714/12#12 date=1279176153
    I originally wanted to upgrade the the Canon Powershot G11 (Silvia), but maybe I can go to an entry level DSLR such as the EOS 450D, but do not want to overspend to a Canon EOS 7D.
    Haha. Nice analogy.. I would usually say to my camera-buying customers, Dont buy the top of the bottom. By the bottom of the top, because youll never be behind. Think of your coffee machine purchase in the same way. Rather then buying the top of the bottom (Silvia) for example, maybe you should buy the bottom of the top - so a cheaper HX or twin boiler.
    :)

After thinking about it for a few days and considering I will be making milk based drinks and worried about getting the temp right, I thought the most sensible thing to do is spend up and get something that I will be comfortable with. (But it wont be too comfortable to my wallet). :(

Even though, I could buy a Silvia now, but I didnt want to be in a position to upgrade in the future.

The journey to find the suitable coffee machine has already been a stress. Originally, the Sunbeam 6910, then reading some reviews about reliability issues the Silvia came up. And I had my heart set on it.

It was only after some further reading that the HX system came up which got me interested. But I had to come to terms with the price range. Good thing the tax return is coming!! :D

Ive been following this thread as it is almost what im thinking in regards to machines. I was intending to but the Silvia and blow my budget on that however it would have left me without a grinder. I have decided (at this stage) on a good grinder $500ish and a $200ish machine to fill the gap until i have the cash for a proper machine. something to last a couple of years like a sunbeam or the delonghi metropolis that i can get for around this price. does anyone have any info on this machine as i havent been able to find any good reviews on it?

thx

Peter