Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By beanflying

Thread: QUIET coffee maker

QUIET coffee maker

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    I have recently borrowed from my partners dad a Breville Vista and the problem is that it is LOUD when making coffee.

Here is a youtube clip on how it sounds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhLzKYdfREc

Is there a machine out there that is quiet (because we live in a stupid unit that shares common walls with the neighbours and they are starting to complain about the noise from the machine)??

Re: QUIET coffee maker

Man you should have cut that shot a lot earlier, but on to the topic that is one of the problems with vibe pumps they are loud. I am pretty sure that the sunbeam 6910 and breville fresca arent that loud (its been a while since I have used one) but they are still much louder than rotary pumps. Are more expensive vibe pumps quieter?

You will have to define your price range before we can give you a sample of machines to chase for quietness.

The best fix in this price range to lose the noise is to buy a Pavoni lever machine and a hand grinder :) Apart from the bit of noise when steaming milk the silence is bliss in the mornings.

Apart from that you need to look at rotary pumped machines at circa $2.5k+
    MattyRay likes this.

My Price range is $500 to $1500 thats why i posted in this section.

I like freshly brewed coffee in the morning but this machine is starting to get annoying.

*not my post that vid but that is how loud the machine is.*

Im thinking about geting the Saeco Incanto Sirius second hand.

The Saeco will still suffer to some degree with having a noisy vibe pump and worse still being an Auto coffee maker the shot quality will suffer :P

Before you give up entirely on the Breville there is some additional noise damping you could try. Soft rubber under any pump mounts and then make a simple lined box if there is room around the pump.

You must have sheets instead of walls if your neighbours are complaining about this machine :D Sure its a little noisy, but it doesnt even wake my kids in the same house. I think your neighbours are just fussy ::)

But if you have $1500 to spend Im thinking that any "real" machine will be quieter than these domestic ones. Go to a shop that has demo models and listen to them, otherwise youll never know for sure (noise is relative). Also, if your machine is in a small room, it might sound louder than the noise in a large shop, so the only REAL way to tell is take your machine into the shop to compare.

Otherwise build a box around it. You can get some pretty good insulating material. Just dont suffocate it!

Maybe if you invited your neighbours around and they tasted how good the coffee is, they might not mind...

hope this helps!

beanflyings idea is within your price range - and a lever is silent.... what about a PV Lusso? Check the Sorrentina link...

(Im thinking about one but am keen to hear from other users before jumping in)

Sniff ;)

Ive looked at YouTube for videos of ppl making coffee with their machines

Quote Originally Posted by 336F6E3E5B0 link=1279321664/8#8 date=1279361726
    Ive looked at YouTube for videos of ppl making coffee with their machines
    er, and?

For the sound of the machines I am looking at, Im trying to make a top 3 list and then go out and test them in person.

For that budget a lever like the Ponte Vecchio Lusso would be spot on. No pump, so no noise at all.

I would like to create lattes also

Quote Originally Posted by 2A767727420 link=1279321664/12#12 date=1279447882
    I would like to create lattes also
    You can make a bucket load of them with the Ponte Vecchio , it has a 3 litre boiler and steam isnt an issue.

What do you guys think about the Saeco Syntia?

If you are a bit handy you can sound insulate the cabinet with the stuff the car hi-fi installers use on doors. This will make quite a difference for about $40, but the vibe pump will still vibrate!

If real quiet is needed then a lever is your best bet.

Or move!

Greg

Trust me, first decent amount of $$$ I get, i am moving to a house and not a "villa". This was our first home so we couldnt be too choosy. I like the idea of a fully automatic coffee machine where i can just leave it on standby and when i wake up in the morning, press a button and instant coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by 267A7B2B4E0 link=1279321664/14#14 date=1279515266
    What do you guys think about the Saeco Syntia?
    Had a play on one of these about 2 months ago

The pucks are very small, making descent volume ristrettos almost impossible. (maybe multiple shots)
    The shots blond very, very early, even using my own fresh roasted beans.

But the worst thing was the steam arm thingy, at best I could get sea-foam.

Would not recommend at all

Quote Originally Posted by 702C2D7D180 link=1279321664/16#16 date=1279600684
    I like the idea of a fully automatic coffee machine where i can just leave it on standby and when i wake up in the morning, press a button and instant coffee.
    ;D ;D If thats what you want, just use instant! *;D ;D

When you look at the skills necessary to make a superb espresso you will start to understand why it has yet to be automated.

Greg

Hi h45e

What about considering a Moka Pot or Stove Top machine. It can make a very strong nice coffee and its compact, quiet and easy to use even when tired in the morning. There are many sorts to choose from. Then while you have that do more research, look at lots of machines from the site sponsors here, i.e. go into the stores and have a play with them and take your time choosing a decent machine.

When I was looking for a machine I went to Di Bartolis here and he set up for me 6 machines on the bench to play with. Many sponsors here will be able to help you like that. Then you can hear the machines, see how easy they are to make a good coffee, and taste what they produce compared to the Breville or similar machines.

PS. If you want fast easy coffee dont get a lever machine. Yes it is quiet, but I suspect your not the sort of person that the lever machine would take a shine to :-)

Mike

Now that we are in 2016 - what are the recommendations on current machines out there ~$500. For Expresso with milk frother. Grinder detached.

Second hand lever such as the Pavonis mentioned previously :-)

Hello,
    What did you end up getting? I've had a Ponte Vecchio Lusso for years, and they are extremely quite as any lever machine is. In fact, the sound of it is quite soothing.
    Ponte Vecchio - Products - Lusso 2 Gruppi