Thread: For SB 6910 owners.....

For SB 6910 owners.....

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

Hi guys,

Just want to see what the consensus is on the em 6910. I know i would definitely buy mine again. ;D

Re: For SB 6910 owners.....

I voted no. Simply because they are not built to last.

They do deliver good espresso and are capable of good microfoam though.

But I have had mine 2 and a half years and after very little use (average cup a day), using softened water, a meticulous cleaning routine (water backflush daily, chemical fortnightly, 6 month descale & seal change) the collar was shot, and it is making some strange noises (even stranger than the normal sounds this machine makes).

My question is this - would you drop $700 on this machine knowing that in 2-3 years youll be up for a $250 collar change, and probably in 3-4 years be up for a whole new machine? Or would you just drop 2-2.5k on a good heat exhanger that will last you well over 10 years?

The sunbeam may be cheaper off the bat, but in the long term it is false economy.

I have had trouble with this machine but as stated it makes good espresso, however the wear issues could prevent me buying another and make me more likely to purchase another machine that will last much longer..

Quote Originally Posted by 585D52555950114F5D523C0 link=1279495655/1#1 date=1279498134
    My question is this - would you drop $700 on this machine knowing that in 2-3 years youll be up for a $250 collar change,
    It is still better then spending 2-2.5 k on a brand new machine and not using it. Its a low risk choice but rewarding i would say :D

Quote Originally Posted by 5B544F435B5E5B4C3A0 link=1279495655/3#3 date=1279500003
    It is still better then spending 2-2.5 k on a brand new machine and not using it.
    Why would you not use it?

I said maybe, because in the right circumstances the cheaper outlay may be worth it, even considering the way things have gone with the 6910 over the last few years.

With unlimited budget though Id recommend HX.

This should be interesting if people are fair and even handed about it as all we normally see is "Help I have a problem with my 6910" while I am sure there are far more happy than unhappy ones.

Interesting note that plenty of espresso machines of this type and down seem to finish up in the cupboard too due to cant be bothered, took up to much bench space, to slow to make a coffee, had a bit of a problem and didnt/couldnt get it fixed etc.... Not sure it happens with the higher end ones as much.

For the price i would buy it again, but if i had 2-3k well...... ;)

Im glad I bought my SB :P
    It was my first espresso machine and I made all the usual beginners stuff-ups and then some more :-[ Im glad I did that before I bought a HX machine.

I bought one of these as well recently , mainly because l could it it intrest free .... l hunted around and got a good deal with a 5 yr warranty as well.
    The waranty covers all wear and tear , and the Good Guys were good to deal with, l got em to throw the grinder in the deal ( which lll upgrade later when it dies ) , so supposedly l should be right for 5 yrs :) I had a laugh *.
    The warranty is fully transferable if / when l sell the machine .

If l hadnt gone this way l wouldve had to wait a couple more years to save up for a good hx and grinder .......so far lm getting very good coffee pours , so its a good way to start the journey for me :)

Cheers ken

Quote Originally Posted by 252B3D2F7D7C4E0 link=1279495655/8#8 date=1280539730
    I bought one of these as well recently , mainly because l could it it intrest free .... l hunted around and got a good deal with a 5 yr warranty as well.
    The waranty covers all wear and tear , and the Good Guys were good to deal with, l got em to throw the grinder in the deal ( which lll upgrade later when it dies ) , so supposedly l should be right for 5 yrs Smiley I had a laugh.

If l hadnt gone this way l wouldve had to wait a couple more years to save up for a good hx and grinder .......so far lm getting very good coffee pours , so its a good way to start the journey for me Smiley

Cheers ken
    yea the machine pays for itself pretty soon. And its a good machine to start on. Enjoy the journey mate. ;D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 747B606C74717463150 link=1279495655/9#9 date=1280562673
    Quote Originally Posted by 252B3D2F7D7C4E0 link=1279495655/8#8 date=1280539730
    The waranty covers all wear and tear , and the Good Guys were good to deal with, l got em to throw the grinder in the deal ( which lll upgrade later when it dies ) , so supposedly l should be right for 5 yrs Smiley I had a laugh.

If l hadnt gone this way l wouldve had to wait a couple more years to save up for a good hx and grinder .......so far lm getting very good coffee pours , so its a good way to start the journey for me Smiley

Cheers ken *
    yea the machine pays for itself pretty soon. And its a good machine to start on. Enjoy the journey mate. ;D
    And if ya treat it right you should get 3 years plus with NO problems with teh new units and their modified PF lugs. Any little glitches will be USER or warranty..

Then when you move up... You will make a big leap as you will be spoilt by Steaming and Pulling shots and having volumetric all available.

Further more, if you right it off at 30% per year that is cheep coffee and great learning.. For some $200 is two months of txt and data on a phone...

Perspective is always needed.

Thanks guys , yeah itll do the job for a fair while l reckon .....currently lm using Fiefys Blend ( nice blend ) and getting really nice pours out of it :)
    A HX machine ( and good grinder ) will be great when l can eventually afford it :)

Cheers Ken

Ive had one and although I wouldnt buy one again but, I would reccomend one.
    I think these things are hard to go past for the dollars as something for first time coffee machine purchasers on a budget. There is as much or as little fiddling to get consistant and good shots (they arent perfect) out of them as most machines costing much more. They have limitations in design that effect the experience but, when you look at the money you are paying its pretty ridiculous to go on about it.

I would buy one again. Even though they can be a bastard, every machine has its good and bad points. Even the " next step " up silvia has its issues, and from reading here, requires a degree of modification to get results. For the money, when working well, I reckon they are unbeatable I also think as the machine evolves, Sunbeam will produce a more reliable product. When that happens, and it will, a lot of people might " downgrade " instead. I had a laugh

the sunbeam is a great machine for what it is

but the

kaduk kaduk kaduk noise it it makes from its thermoblocks is soooo annoying

this may sound weird but I never got any pleasure from using my sunbeam but the lelit on the other hand always puts a smile on my face she is sooo pretty :D