Thread: Advice on 2nd hand Gaggia Classic

Advice on 2nd hand Gaggia Classic

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all
    First post here. My old delonghi has served me in an average fashion and is now ready to move on. Im looking at the Gaggia Classic as a bit of a change and a better machine.
    Ive found a second hand one with quite a few accessories and grinder advertised for $400.
    I went and had a look and tried a coffee. Only thing is that the shot came out with no crema at all. I noticed the grind was quite coarse so Im assuming this could be the problem.
    Also, it is about 3 years old and has the old black plastic steam wand which Im sure wont produce good microfoam...can anyone say otherwise on that?

Just looking for a bit of advice really. Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Advice on 2nd hand Gaggia Classic

Welcome :)

What grinder as this may be the problem or more likely stale beans and or course grind?

There is plenty of Steam wand mods here to do so just add that on. Also they have an Aluminium boiler so just check inside the filler cap for white crusty stuff.

The grinder is the Breville Baroma on the fine setting. Is it possible to get the coffee finer using this grinder?

Also, the machine looks like it needs a clean and descale. The coffee did taste nice though, just lacked crema. What is your opinion for the price?

And sorry. I should mention it comes with some nice cups and an rb tamper!

Hi there,

I have an old gaggia classic, and getting good crema requires the right grind, and an appropriate tamp as a starting point.

If the grind looks coarse then it probably is. You need to find the right grind and tamp pressure to yield about 30ml shot in about 25 seconds or so. You should here the sound from the pump change one you get the right combination and the noise goes from a reasonably loud buzzing to a low relatively soft buzzing as the pump is running under load.

Needless to say good fresh beans is essential also.
    Hope this helps.
    Ciao
    Mouldy

The grinder offered is a bit below par and I wouldnt buy one for espresso but check out the grinder section for some user thoughts and mods to improve it. If you do finish up with it sell it or use it for plunger/brewed coffee. This mod thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1204007644

The RB tamper is worth some $$ but at second hand $50 (maybe) and maybe $50 for the grinder (if your lucky) then $300 left for the machine is maybe more than its worth so twist an arm I reckon.

As to coffee from a well used Gaggia then they are fairly good, I have had a few from one teamed with a commercial grinder and good beans and it will kill most of the cafes in my town.

Thanks for such a detailed reply! Im really enjoying how helpful everyone is on this site, its great and so unlike the rest of the internet...

So I am going to buy the classic. Im paying $350 which Im quite happy to as you cant get the classic where I live anymore. As for the crema problem i worked out its purely a grinding problem. I tested some really well ground coffee on an old Ferrari machine with the same problem and got a beautiful shot out of it (which by the way if you ever see a Ferrari Cremosa 2nd hand just buy it. Really old but a great little machine). So crema problems solved - thanks smokey and mouldy.

Next problem. I want to change the steam wand to a better one. Ive heard the silvia steam wand works quite nicely. The guide on here actually doesnt display pictures so I was wondering which exact wand to buy, where from and how to do it!

All you help is really appreciated!
    Trent

http://www.coffeeparts.com/domestic-...a-classic.html

Coffeeparts (see link above), one of the sponsor, carries the steam wand and its connector (if you do not want to damage the existing wand). *With the connector, just unscrew the current wand and screw in the connector follow by the wand. *I used some thread seal tapes to prevent leakage.

Do a search on youtube and you will find some videos for the replacement.

http://www.coffeeparts.com/domestic-...a-classic.html