Thread: EM6910 problem number 2,845........

EM6910 problem number 2,845........

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello coffeesnobbers,
    Recently acquired a second hand 6910.
    Had to do a lot of wriggling in of the portafilter into the grouphead. Is this a collar problem or something else? I found out the best way is to squeeze in the left side of portafilter first, then still have to shove it up and wiggle to get it to fit in.
    Steaming of 300 ml of milk takes a minute and half to 2 minutes.
    Am too busy to look through all of 36 pages of this topic.
    Appreciated of any advice to rectify. Thank you.

Gary 8-)

Re: EM6910 problem number 2,845........

Collar has probably "lipped" somewhere.
    Steaming sounds about average for 300ml.
    150ml, for one coffee, doesnt take too long but you push it to its limits at 300ml.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7C666B6A786E767C7C0F0 link=1282968676/0#0 date=1282968676
    *Hello coffeesnobbers,
    * * * * * * * * * * * * *Recently acquired a second hand 6910.
    Had to do a lot of wriggling in of the portafilter into the grouphead. Is this a collar problem or something else? I found out the best way is to squeeze in the left side of portafilter first, then still have to shove it up and wiggle to get it to fit in.
    * * * * * * * * * * Steaming of 300 ml of milk takes a minute and half to 2 minutes.
    * * * * * * * * * *Am too busy to look through all of 36 pages of this topic.
    Appreciated of any advice to rectify. Thank you.

Gary 8-)
    Trust it was from a mate and NOT the bay of need *;) :) :D ;D

1: Sounds like the collar has been abused... *

2: OR the group handle is warped (have seen TWO *;) )

3: Sounds like the steam in within specs; but on the LOW side :-) ( 40 - 60 sec for 300ml)

To save you an me some time and effort *;) *

1: Post a pic of ya collar if possible - Also with care; run a finger around *and see if ya can feel a rolled lip / sharp edge..

If so then I also bet it is much worse on ONE side *;D

R/H or L/H person with an uneven TAMP and OVER dose will cause this and always one side *MUCH worse :o :o :o

2: Has it had a De-scale and a Back-flush done recently..

OR

3: *Has it had De-scaler through the Steam wand ?

Do not do either; with out taking a few VERY important steps first.

First and foremost - Take it slow and do not rush like a bull at a gate *;)

A: Remove the shower screen/s and have a look see (pics *please)

B: Manual clean od said screens etc and then Do the Chemical back flush but without the Inner screen

C: Then do the De-Scale... Steam wand if you wish - BUT TAKE the correct steps and safety measures as per other posts. Search for - Last ditched effort

D: Flush and Flush again

E: What is the sweet spot ?

F: How is the seal ? *( A spacer *(coffee parts OR home made and the Group Lug mod will see you up and running for some time)

Note: You will lock in at 5 or 4 as the lug mod will allow the group to now bind on a new part/section of the collar.

PS. Ya can then get a dremel *and grind / smooth off the lip

PPS. Donation to the Frustrated Service Peoples Funeral Fund *(FSPFF) is welcome *:D ;)

PPS. Let us know how you go...

Agent to repair collar should be no more than $180 TOPS - but ya will not need it if you do the mods correctly.

NOTE: A few soles who have rebuilt their collars and performed mods have been compiling some pics and hints - Once this is sort of bound and quickly merged.... It will be posted to assist all.

This problem occurs even when portafilter is empty. Tried to undo screw from shower head, no luck. Heated it with hot water, still no luck, further efforts resulted in screw being knackered and subsequently i stopped before doing any further damage. Whoever did the screw up on the shower head, must have had screws in their head.
    Machine from my view looks to have been maintained well as it is 3 years old. Steaming wand still looks like new. Water reservoir looks clean with the Sunbeam de-calc cartridge installed with a few more months left. Portafilter looks shiny inside with basket off, no residues.
    Will take careful pics of the machine tommorow to display.
    Thanks so far.

Gary

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 637974756771696363100 link=1282968676/3#3 date=1282984273
    This problem occurs even when portafilter is empty. Tried to undo screw from shower head, no luck. Heated it with hot water, still no luck, further efforts resulted in screw being knackered and subsequently i stopped before doing any further damage. Whoever did the screw up on the shower head, must have had screws in their head.
    * * * * * *Machine from my view looks to have been maintained well as it is 3 years old. Steaming wand still looks like new. Water reservoir looks clean with the Sunbeam de-calc cartridge installed with a few more months left. Portafilter looks shiny inside with basket off, no residues.
    * * * * Will take careful pics of the machine tommorow to display.
    Thanks so far.

Gary
    The portafilter does not need a packed basket... And even with a basket it can be warped..

However my bet is on a LIP on the collar and as it is being compressed and swelling - It then binds on the group / portafilter when you trying to lock it up and in..

I have ordered some of that ScrewGrab *( http://www.bi-tron.com.au/screwgrab.htm) stuff for just this very purpose of tight filter screws.... *If it works it will be worth many skun knuckles *;D

External maintenance is a good start... Remember - Your in PERTH - So recharge and keep that anti calk filter in tip top shape.

The show screen worries me a bit... Will only be able to make a call once we see how dirty / crappy it is..

PS. Also check teh programming as to Steam temp and Wetness as that can make a big difference 8-)

Guess what... After ya do some repairs; you will have even more ownership and be deeper in LOVE *:D ;) ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 28323F3E2C3A2228285B0 link=1282968676/3#3 date=1282984273
    Tried to undo screw from shower head, no luck. Heated it with hot water, still no luck, further efforts resulted in screw being knackered and subsequently i stopped before doing any further damage. Whoever did the screw up on the shower head, must have had screws in their head.
    I had the same problem with mine.
    see one possible solution here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1276403267

Youll obviously need a new shower screen and screw after this exercise though, but not expensive

Geoff

Today i,m still at square one, trying to get the screw off.
    Cooper and AM, thanks again for your advice.
    "after using a flat blade screwdriver to bend the screen up on one side,"
    Geoff...what does that mean? do you mean sliding in the driver between group head and screen and then bend?
    Tried the icing technique to shrink the screw...no luck either
    Had to relieve my frustrations by fragging on COD4 on the PS3, hard scoping everything in sight. >:(
    Really interested to see what,s behind that screen...
    PS. Was too dull to take pics of mentioned collar and other things. Will post as soon as i get some good ambient light and the camera flash to have a good picture.
    Gary

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, Australia

How do Sunbeam get away with selling these machines?

We need a new section in this forum dedicated to problems with the em6910 because i am getting tired of reading about this machine - its overtaking the whole forum.

Hi Tony,
    In my case, the sunbeam was offered to me to take off their hands as a donation, and they are very happy with their current purchase.
    On the other hand if i paid good money for the thing and this happens, then i,d be quite unhappy. If you read on the manual, Sunbeam says the components are made of "cafe" quality materials, which...relating to the important parts of the machine, is not true. Obviously if they were of "cafe" quality, a bit of abuse is not going to break them.
    Anyway...back to the subject at hand before someone comes along with a banner saying "off topic".
    More to come. Watch this space they say...

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by 2B303126676F6D675F0 link=1282968676/7#7 date=1283079478
    How do Sunbeam get away with selling these machines?

We need a new section in this forum dedicated to problems with the em6910 because i am getting tired of reading about this machine - its overtaking the whole forum.
    They get away with it because when they sold the 6900s they had the same problems and people like you came here and bitched about then.
    Sunbeam then did everything they could to keep the customers happy by modifying the machines and even replacing machines outside warranty and eventually all the modifications became the new model (6910).

At some point after this I warned everyone the generosity couldnt last.
    I was right.

After a while I noticed that Sunbeams friendly helpful nature was slowly changing.
    I figured theyd finally noticed how much money theyd thrown at those machines.

Unfortunately this is now.
    Normal (appliance sales) service has now resumed.

I used to recommend the 6910 during the earlier period.
    When the one I was using started developing problems and Sunbeams attitude started to change I added warnings to my recommendations.

Remember, theyre made by a company that makes toasters.

I dont think any Italian espresso machine manufacturers (or Spanish) make toasters.
    What does that tell you?

Some people cant afford a better machine.
    We tell them the pros and cons and they make up their own mind.

If they didnt do their research before buying...hopefully theyve learned something.

The problems with 69xxs have been documented here for quite a few years now and a simple Google search should reveal that.

We dont need a new section just to bash 6910s.

P.S. Tony as you live in NSW, if your machine is the lemon you say it is then put in a complaint to Fair Trading if Sunbeam havent fixed your machine to your satisfaction.

The words "fit for purpose" and "statutory warranty" are what you need to research on the Fair Trading website.

Basically, the more expensive the purchase the longer a machine should work / last without needing a warranty repair.

You should of course approach the retailer first, as by law the machine is their responsibility not Sunbeams.

If more people went through Fair Trading, Sunbeam would be forced to up their game.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0438253E343522373F34500 link=1282968676/9#9 date=1283126407
    The words "fit for purpose" and "statutory warranty" are what you need to research on the Fair Trading website.

Basically, the more expensive the purpose the longer a machine should work / last without needing a warranty repair.

You should of course approach the retailer first, as by law the machine is their responsibility not Sunbeams.

If more people went through Fair Trading, Sunbeam would be forced to up their game.
    TG; Well said.

The other thing Sunbeam tried to do was to have particular Agents assigned to SERVICE the EM series and some of their other Coffee machines.

Problem is that many are like most others and think coffee is about numbers. Like a great Food connoisseur or a great Mechanic or a Sumbeam Service agent.

1: The foody - cant cook
    2: That guy cantt even drive ;D
    3: The Service agent - Knows nothing about coffee or teh process.

Thus a great intent on behalf of Supplier = Min progress in teh Quality path.

Speak to the local agent in Brisbane.. They actual care... But get abused and told by users haw to use/abuse their machines.

Let some one come in an VERBALLY abuse any of teh sponsors and then have that same person tell the sponsor how to make a coffee and service a machine....

YEP... I am sure that Chris OR Philip OR XXXX would just smile and welcome them back week with another broken switch / problem etc NOT.

Well in this case, the agent can do little other than have teh police called. The machine is still abused and teh User still walks with a swagger and a feeling of arrogance...

Said same person would quiver in their boots as to other white goods - But Coffee : Every one knows more than the Roasters or Suppliers as to how to use and make good coffee... Saw it on Choice and Good Morning Australia - Always get my beans from Coles ;)

PS. A couple of simple mods and it could be a Great entry level machine... At present; they have made at least ONE major step forward but are not taking enough notice of other issues.

Thus some extra care to ensure a reliable 3 year plus outcome.

TG and AM, i admire your efforts and time to educate people on the realities of marketing and making them or try, to list the steps they should take.
    * * * * * * * *Yes, the Sunbeam IS a good machine providing that care and thought is taken during it,s life. And that means taking the steps listed in the booklet...cleaning up after every cup made and periodical de-scaling.
    * * * * * * * *To Sunbeam,s credit, they give a EM0480 grinder with the 6910 for $699 which is excellent value...providing that proper use, care and maintenance is undertaken.
    * * * * * * * *Of course one can invest *more for a Rancilio or a Lelit which may be in fact better value in the long run, but finances for some especially these days are very tight, me included. These are the ones who love their coffee, but they cant afford to go to cafes or have the time on a daily basis to fulfil their habit.
    * * * * * * * The positive part of all our rantings here is that hopefully someone out there is watching and at least hopefully the next batch will be stronger and longer lasting.

Gary

OK, finally got some decent pics to post of the collar. There is some lipping there. Cant say what use this thing has gone through, but it seems the more i use it, the easier it is now to insert the portafilter into the group head, perhaps my experience as a waiter/barista/food+wine consultant has appeased the thing? Hee hee. Currently have the machine upside down with Inox soaking the screw of shower head as you can see in pic.

Thanks Gary.

The trouble is that most marketing departments have bigger budgets than R&D departments.

So when some cleverdick says "cafe quality" components no one pulls them up on it.

Good example of the bullsh!t is that I can almost scratch the grouphead with my fingernail its so soft. *:o

I think if you look closely at the instruction book it actually says something like "cafe quality inspired".

Maybe the whole Sunbeam EM6910 Instruction Book should be posted in the humour thread. *;D

If your fingernails arent as strong as mine you could scrape back the lipping with a teaspoon if you care to.

And here,s another pic...Screw is really knackered now after trying to coax it out and it,s still stuck fast. Looks like ill have to get a tech to get it out and have it replaced. Shouldn,t cost too much.

Have no idea what causes that lipping TG. Someone would have had to force the portafilter into that thing which is not the right thing to do. Again, i re-iterate this was handed to me by a good samaritan and i am forever grateful.
    You got bionic chiseling/filing fingernails TG? ;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 322825243620383232410 link=1282968676/16#16 date=1283151754
    Have no idea what causes that lipping TG.

Someone would have had to force the portafilter into that thing which is not the right thing to do.

Again, i re-iterate this was handed to me by a good samaritan and i am forever grateful.

You got bionic chiseling/filing fingernails TG? ;)
    That lipping is MILD.. Say again MILD...

As per my post number 2 *http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1282968676/2#2

Read the bit about TAMPING and to the OVERDOSING and how it happens...

So many do it... UP dosing is OK if ya do it with TLC

Do the LUG mod and follow my suggestions and you will be OK.

You want to see tiping and lips.. Do a search *and or let me try to get a pic or two :-)

Here is one.. Little old lady - machine only used on Sundays..

PS. Have seen much worse... Oh..

And none over dose or ever force the group in... But they tell me

A: It gets a bit stiff at times ha ha ha

B: Sometimes I can not even get the basket in.. Have to dig a bit of coffee out with ma finger..

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0C302D363C3D2A3F373C580 link=1282968676/14#14 date=1283151149
    If your fingernails arent as strong as mine you could scrape back the lipping with a teaspoon if you care to.
    I use a small ball peen hammer and a scraper and in conjunction with the LUG mod.. You can get another 24 to 36 months no problem...

If its really bad then go heavy on the lug mod and toss in seal spacer (coffeeparts) and that will give you 12 to 24 months before a new collar is forced upon you..

NOTE: Your home lock position will move to the Right a bit.

PS: OH... ROIDS and bolting the unit down so that it does not move when you grab the group with two hands and use ya Left foot to keep it in place... NOT a good look ::)

Oh gee AM, looks like that lip went through a violent attack! :o
    You sure that,s not a body building dwarf in old lady,s costume?

As TG mentioned about the group head being cheese strength, my experiencing the easier installing of the portafilter into the grouphead as time passes proves that. It just gives.
    As far as instructions go for tamping coffee grounds til 3 mm below the portafilter lip as per booklet, this wouldnt be an issue in the first place.

Ill look into the lug mod and use it if i need to. Thanks guys so far. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 100A070614021A1010630 link=1282968676/16#16 date=1283151754
    You got bionic chiseling/filing fingernails TG?
    Black belt.
    Training in karate for 35 years. ;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 455F525341574F4545360 link=1282968676/19#19 date=1283169836
    As far as instructions go for tamping coffee grounds til 3 mm below the portafilter lip as per booklet, this wouldnt be an issue in the first place.
    YEP...

It all depends on too many variables..

Thus do teh 5 cent piece test.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 312B262735233B3131420 link=1282968676/19#19 date=1283169836
    As TG mentioned about the group head being cheese strength, my experiencing the easier installing of the portafilter into the grouphead as time passes proves that. It just gives. *
    Keep ya eyes peeled..

WAN is about to publish a quick guide as to changing a collar..

(post edit)
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1283228906/0

There is also another pic of a collar that was only 6mths old.. I think the owner had things going on that us mere humans fear..

I am trying to get hold of two EM6910 to do a quick clean up on them... My old one from work >3years and KualityMan as his has been abused and is used to make every thing from hot choc to scrambles eggs. It is also >4years and if I know him.. *Service .... Why did ya just not come round and do it AM... You mean your slack and I now have a problem *;D

Will see about a pic to push up as to how they have survived.

Quote Originally Posted by 372D202133253D3737440 link=1282968676/15#15 date=1283151448
    And here,s another pic...Screw is really knackered now after trying to coax it out and it,s still stuck fast. Looks like ill have to get a tech to get it out and have it replaced. Shouldn,t cost too much.
    Replace the Phillips head with a stainless countersunk socket head screw Gary http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBANK.aspx?SG=2000165&S=4084691&G=2003603
    made this minor mod on my Silvia, makes removing the shower screen a breeze, all you need is an Allen key. :)

Damn good idea Jon.
    Will ask the tech to sort out the countersunk screw. I,ve got a good range of allen keys here.

Gary ;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 574D404153455D5757240 link=1282968676/24#24 date=1283273906
    Damn good idea Jon.
    Will ask the tech to sort out the countersunk screw. I,ve got a good range of allen keys here.

Gary ;)
    Be interesting to see just how dirty etc..

The issue is that with over dosing and super fine grinding crap can build up in teh head. Then when some does a chemical backflush crap can break away and travel to places it was never meant to.

There is a absolute need to remove teh screens prior to a back-flush; but is not an every time thing. It is more on an instance for when the machine is unknown or had not been cleaned for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by 5D727B796E517D727D7B79717972681C0 link=1282968676/25#25 date=1283291082
    There is a absolute need to remove the screens prior to a back-flush
    Morning AM,
    Is this the same story with HX machines? I always remove the screen prior to backflushing (its always clean and shiny) but replace with seal before I flush. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by 6D777A7B697F676D6D1E0 link=1282968676/24#24 date=1283273906
    Damn good idea Jon.

Gary ;)
    Certainly make life easy Gary, removing the screen on Silvia used to be a SOB until I made the 20 cent mod. :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 78444D5540210 link=1282968676/27#27 date=1283297842
    Quote Originally Posted by 6D777A7B697F676D6D1E0 link=1282968676/24#24 date=1283273906
    Damn good idea Jon.

Gary ;)
    Certainly make life easy Gary, removing the screen on Silvia used to be a SOB until I made the 20 cent mod. :)
    An update that I forget to mention because I can ;D

Got some screwgrab (a few bottles actually) = Great stuff (actually works)

However teh correct screw head and type along with teh correct fitting tool is always a good start when removing shower screens.

Hello everyone.
    I am reading this forum as I have a 6910 but decided to buy a second hand 6900 for my daughter who has moved out of home. The 6900 is really a cheap buy except that i had to do some severe shower screen cleaning and have changed teh group seal BUT the collar seems loose so that when I place the portafilter it screws right over to the right.
    Now I have searched this site and read bits about lug modification and spacers etc and that the 6900 does not have steam control or something.
    I would like to know, do i continue on working with this machine or do I dicth it and look for a second hand 6910? This 6900 does have a new pump installed last year.
    I suppose if I can get the portafilter to seal at the correct position, that will be a good start.
    Can someone send a link as to where I find out how to do the collar lug modifications? Do I have to dissassemble the whole machine and take the collar off to do the mods?
    Any help would be appreciated/

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4C4F575E59535D380 link=1282968676/29#29 date=1296996820
    Hello everyone.
    I am reading this forum as I have a 6910 but decided to buy a second hand 6900 for my daughter who has moved out of home. The 6900 is really a cheap buy except that i had to do some severe shower screen cleaning and have changed the group seal BUT the collar seems loose so that when I place the portafilter it screws right over to the right.
    Now I have searched this site and read bits about lug modification and spacers etc and that the 6900 does not have steam control or something.
    I would like to know, do i continue on working with this machine or do I dicth it and look for a second hand 6910? This 6900 does have a new pump installed last year.
    I suppose if I can get the portafilter to seal at the correct position, that will be a good start.
    Can someone send a link as to where I find out how to do the collar lug modifications? Do I have to dissassemble the whole machine and take the collar off to do the mods?
    Any help would be appreciated/
    Click here *HowTo change the collar

NOTE: Electrical safety will be compromised so always get it checked by an Electrician.

A: If it was an old EM6900 and never looked after... *OR been abused, as per 98.675% have been *:D

Then a New collar at $58 plus time and Labour is a MUST to start with...

The EM6910 has no ability to change programs i.e. Temp of Head or Steam...

Then a New Board at $80 *plus time and Labour is an option ???

At this stage you nearly the way to a almost NEW EM6910 *;D

So my gut feel is to cop the costs on the chin... *Give the EM6910 to daughter and go and get a good HX or better... *Clean out the EM6900 and store for emergency spares...

As your a EM6910 user... Skip the Silvias and other like machines. Go for a real machine and step up into a different world...

Where are you located ?

What beans do you use ?

What grinder do you have ?

Wow thanks for the answer. You sure know your stuff! I did not realise it was 98.675% abused. I would have only guessed 97.65% so I have already learned something!
    Maybe I chould keep it just for spares and practice collar changing sort of like an old lawn mower engine for learning.
    I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Will let you know how I go.

:)
    A: If it was an old EM6900 and never looked after... *OR been abused, as per 98.675% have been *:D

Then a New collar at $58 plus time and Labour is a MUST to start with...

The EM6910 has no ability to change programs i.e. Temp of Head or Steam...

Then a New Board at $80 *plus time and Labour is an option ???

At this stage you nearly the way to a almost NEW EM6910 *;D

So my gut feel is to cop the costs on the chin... *Give the EM6910 to daughter and go and get a good HX or better... *Clean out the EM6900 and store for emergency spares...

As your a EM6910 user... Skip the Silvias and other like machines. Go for a real machine and step up into a different world...

Where are you located ?

What beans do you use ?

What grinder do you have ?
    [/QUOTE]