Thread: Lelit PL042 vs PL042EM

Lelit PL042 vs PL042EM

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The EM model has a pressure guage, while it does look sexy i am unsure of weather it is worth the wait of approx 1 month for it to be available again (out of stock :( ) & the $50 ish increase in price

can anyone here shed some light on these models, maybe pros & cons with each?

linkage-

PL042 http://www.lelit.com/web/gamma_scheda_tecnica.asp?id=68

PL042EM http://www.lelit.com/web/gamma_scheda_tecnica.asp?id=65

PS: thankyou for your imput here, your time is appreciated *:)

Re: Lelit PL042 vs PL042EM

Hi,

I have the lelit PL041em (same machine as pl042em just without the integrated grinder)

I absolutely love it and i really like the pressure guage.

To be honest, i could probably live without it.... but it is handy to see if i am overdosing or underdosing etc.

Is it worth $50?? not sure... but really when you are already spending $800 odd dollars on something does $50 make that big a difference?

Also, i personally preferred the buttons on the EM model, i know it is purely cosmetic, but when you spend that much on something you want to like how it looks!

I am interested in buying a new Lelit Combi PL042EM, but there doesnt seem to be any local sellers in Melbourne who sell that model (Talk Coffee and cofeeco have the Lelit Combi PL042QE). I prefer the look of the newer style, and the gauge is a nice-to-have.

How important is buying from a store where you can return the item yourself if there is a problem? Do these machines require a lot of servicing while under warranty? Am I better just getting the PL042QE?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by 74787E786B77707A757C190 link=1283166639/2#2 date=1290573480
    Am I better just getting the PL042QE?
    I think so. To begin with, while the EM has more bling, the version that Talk Coffee sells has been sold for years, and proven to be robust.

Also, if your machine needs to be returned under warranty, or at any other stage, while courier costs arent exhorbitant, only new equipment is covered for damage under the carriers insurance.

If anything untoward were to happen, that trip could turn out to be quite expensive.

Hi Dave,
    Depends on if you value more on bling value than anything else.
    If you already have the experience of pulling good shots, meaning knowing what to look for in the grind, the flow, the colour of the flow, when to stop the flow ... 25 ml in 25 seconds etc. then the robustness and quality of the components should be most important on your list which should bring you the best value for your spending dollar.
    Im not sure if the EM would give you a better return when it comes to trading up time further down the track when you want to upgrade but you can try do a bit of homework regarding that.
    Certainly you could also try find out if components are readily available after sales just in case, though both those two models are strong enough to last, although perhaps not quite as tough as a Silvia.

Gary

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 2234313120222E27272424410 link=1283166639/3#3 date=1290575652
    Also, if your machine needs to be returned under warranty, or at any other stage, while courier costs arent exhorbitant, only new equipment is covered for damage under the carriers insurance.

If anything untoward were to happen, that trip could turn out to be quite expensive.
    Sending a Lelit via Australia Post (registered and insured) will cover the machine whether its new or used.

The coffee machine will be on your bench for years, get the one you prefer!

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by 1D3223153B36343C14363132570 link=1283166639/5#5 date=1290577796
    cuppacoffee wrote on Today at 16:14:

Sending a Lelit via Australia Post (registered and insured) will cover the machine whether its new or used.
    Quite right.

You can take the time to queue at AU Post, fill out the paperwork for registered and insured, then when they damage it, make a claim by calling 13POST. During the rather lengthy call, they will tell you that, "articles must be properly addressed and packaged for safe handling and delivery".

In AU Posts case, "packaged for safe handling and delivery" means, something along the lines of, "Can we drop your parcel onto a concrete floor from shoulder height without the risk of damage to the contents?"

Been there, done that. ;)

Thanks for the replies.

No one has mentioned the likelihood of needing servicing in the first 12 months though. I assume once the warranty has expired I can get it serviced locally for the same cost as if with the original seller? Products tend to fail after the warranty has expired, or is that not the case with espresso machines?

Charlie, would JetBlack do a bench test before posting the machine?

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 434F494F5C40474D424B2E0 link=1283166639/7#7 date=1290632393
    Thanks for the replies.

No one has mentioned the likelihood of needing servicing in the first 12 months though. I assume once the warranty has expired I can get it serviced locally for the same cost as if with the original seller? Products tend to fail after the warranty has expired, or is that not the case with espresso machines?

Charlie, would JetBlack do a bench test before posting the machine?
    Hi magarnicle,

If you follow the maintenance instructions we supply (backflushing regularly, refilling the boiler etc) the chance of needing a service in the first 12 months is small in our experience. And yes, we bench test all of them :)

charlie