Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: EM6910 Collar Replacement. A How To Guide

wan

EM6910 Collar Replacement. A How To Guide

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I thought Iíd give a little back to the CS community by helping to compile a How To Guide on changing a worn collar on the Sunbeam em6910.

Most of the information detailed in this guide is readily available on this site although you would have to do a lot of searching :) so a big thank you to all who have contributed to the content.

Many thanks must also go to AngerManagement the co-author of this document and most probably the originator of much of the information provided here.

Size limits dictate that the document is hosted elsewhere, so without further ado: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SNTJ6GRD

zeezaw likes this.

Re: EM6910 Collar Replacement. A How To Guide

Awesome guide, we thank you and your accomplices for the time and effort. hopefully i wont need it for a while but its good to know its there. ;)

Brilliant....hope I never need it...but I fear that someday I will ;)

Sensational effort guys * [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Will certainly come in very handy when the time arises

Am interested in the steam mod when it comes to hand :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 524940565558210 link=1283228906/3#3 date=1283299584
    Sensational effort guys * [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Am interested in the steam mod when it comes to hand :)
    Once some un biased people who have done the mod; feedback to me post modification... Then the short and simple mod will be published..

Remember - Once ya start doing mods... Any warranty or extended support will be at RISK regardless of where that mod is and or about.

Quote Originally Posted by 49666F6D7A456966696F6D656D667C080 link=1283228906/4#4 date=1283304966
    Remember - Once ya start doing mods... Any warranty or extended support will be at RISK regardless of where that mod is and or about.
    AM....you worry too much. *Any stuff-ups during modifications can be remedied simply for $699 (or thereabouts *;D )

Quote Originally Posted by 1136373C2A2D061E382338590 link=1283228906/5#5 date=1283315715
    Quote Originally Posted by 49666F6D7A456966696F6D656D667C080 link=1283228906/4#4 date=1283304966
    Quote Originally Posted by 524940565558210 link=1283228906/3#3 date=1283299584
    Sensational effort guys * Smiley

Am interested in the steam mod when it comes to hand Smiley
    AM....you worry too much. *Any stuff-ups during modifications can be remedied simply for $699 (or thereabouts *;D )
    Any stuff-up would immediately invoke upgraditus
    Not a bad thing!!!

I am getting a "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable." from the website, is it available anywhere else?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 382A323D30302B5F0 link=1283228906/7#7 date=1283327364
    I am getting a "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable." from the website, is it available anywhere else?
    http://rapidshare.com/files/416402689/EM6910_Collar_Replacement_-_How_To_WAN.pdf

This link above is only good for 10 downloads (in the process of activating a higher limit) *

Will check on the other link; but all looks OK, but will not download.

Have a feeling it may have been put on HOLD or reported or server is down for maintenance OR too many downloads on a free account in a set time*:o

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UTYZFOY3 is the shuttle review and that is still up - Thus along with other feedback it appears that someone reported the Guide.

Nothing included that was touchy etc so maybe a disgruntled Sunbeam Owner / Agent who found the link on CS and was not impressed...

Thank you - Who ever you are *;)

Anyone who wants the guide, then please send a PM to either the OP or myself.

wan

Thanks for trying the alternative link AM

Ive hosted it up here for everyone: http://home.exetel.com.au/waz/cs/EM6...t_-_How_To.pdf

let me know if theres any problems, alternatively you can PM me or AM for a copy.

Wah!

Just took my machine in for a new collar 3 days ago...did some searching here for details but nothing jumped out as being comprehensive enough for me, and I wasnt prepared to have any oops moments...at least I will (hopefully) get a stress free replacement this way.

Great work - considering this is a common ailment I reckon this could go sticky!

Grand effort!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 787A717A6D7E73666A7A77797A761F0 link=1283228906/11#11 date=1291083511
    Grand effort!
    Thanks for the positive feedback..

Let us all know how you go.

AM

AM: EM6910 Collar Replacement. A How To Guide

Quote Originally Posted by 1F30393B2C133F303F393B333B302A5E0 link=1283228906/12#12 date=1291085186
    Quote Originally Posted by 787A717A6D7E73666A7A77797A761F0 link=1283228906/11#11 date=1291083511
    Grand effort!
    Thanks for the positive feedback..

Let us all know how you go.

AM

AM, good to see you are still around delivering your master classes.* I saved this brilliant guide back then and purchased a new collar to stow away for a rainy day because your workarounf mods (spacers and group lugs) have kept me going witht he orig collar for over a year now.

Finally, my collar went last week on Monday.* This is noted here as it was the day before our second child was born. As pleasurable as that experience was, this meant I was offline from home brewing until the weekend between trips to the hospital and back.*

Anyhow, in just over an hour I was up and running.* Took it as an opportunity to clean the system.

I noticed at the end of the guide it makes mention to a Steam Wand mod to get more pressure.* Although your advice to run scaling solution through the wand has improved most of my steaming probs - I reckon an extra 20% would be nice when texturing for 4 cups in one go.

Can you please advise if that guide was ever developed and where I can find it?

Regards, Nick

Hi,
    just joined the forum, looking for a solution and this looks prefect, so will be conducting an operation on my machine next week. The guide is well done so it should be straight forward, thanks for your work.

Paul. :D

I think my 3+ year old EM6910 is getting close to needing a new collar. Just read the guide - what a great resource!

The guide says a replacement collar is ~$60, anyone know which sponsors sell this (if any)?

Not sure, but you can send an email to all sponsors at the one time using the email at the bottom of all the sponsors on the left. The ones who can assist will respond.

Otherwise try sunbeam?

Cheers

Great How to Guide, thank you, I understand there are two types of collars which are quite different depending on the sub model of your EM6900 machine, how do you know what part you need to order for your particular machine? how can you tell? and where can I buy the collar without being ripped off !?

thanks again for the guide, just what I need.
    thanks
    Niftymac

Quote Originally Posted by wan View Post
    Thanks for trying the alternative link AM

Ive hosted it up here for everyone: http://home.exetel.com.au/waz/cs/EM6...t_-_How_To.pdf

let me know if theres any problems, alternatively you can PM me or AM for a copy.
    Hi,

I am unable to access the "How to Guide"

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by rmb3218 View Post
    Hi,

I am unable to access the "How to Guide"

Kevin
    Ditto, access forbidden message.

Hi,

I can't get to it either. However I did grab a copy a while back to prepare for the day I need it which is just about now.

If you can't find a copy let me know and I can send it to you.

Greg.P

Hi Greg.P , any chance you can email me a copy of that guide for replacing the collar? Need to do mine and can't find a copy of the pdf online at all
    Weiminn@gmail.com
    Thanks
    Weiminn

QUOTE=chips60;490024]Hi,

I can't get to it either. However I did grab a copy a while back to prepare for the day I need it which is just about now.

Greg.P[/QUOTE]

Smile

I'd also love a copy of the guide, if it's not too much trouble please!
    Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Weiminn View Post
    Hi Greg.P , any chance you can email me a copy of that guide for replacing the collar? Need to do mine and can't find a copy of the pdf online at all
    Weiminn@gmail.com
    Thanks
    Weiminn

QUOTE=chips60;490024]Hi,

Greg.P
    [/QUOTE]

After spending 20min googling I was actually able to find a cached version of the guide and I have uploaded it to my dropbox so you guys can download it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqikryva41...nt%20Guide.pdf
    chrisl, Journeyman, sebab and 4 others like this.

Thanks for finding and making this available. I don't think I need it yet but it's in my Coffee folder now.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSmoking View Post
    After spending 20min googling I was actually able to find a cached version of the guide and I have uploaded it to my dropbox so you guys can download it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqikryva41...nt%20Guide.pdf
    Thank you very much for this.

EM6910 Collar Replacement. A How To Guide

Many thanks, stored for future use.
    mulquemi likes this.

Minor thread dig.......but i'd like to sincerely thank the hamfisted muppets at the Sunbeam factory that stripped the heads off two of the screws (two long ones at the back of step 4) and therefore resigned my 6910 to a life with the same collar. This was after i'd bought a replacement too.

Quote Originally Posted by willsy01 View Post
    Minor thread dig.......but i'd like to sincerely thank the hamfisted muppets at the Sunbeam factory that stripped the heads off two of the screws (two long ones at the back of step 4) and therefore resigned my 6910 to a life with the same collar. This was after i'd bought a replacement too.
    Hi willsy01

Look up "easy out"s. Used them to remove screws & bolts of all sizes since the '70's. A most underrated & misunderstood bit of kit. An essential part of my toolkit.

Cheers

TampIt
    hamfisted muppets: slowly dragging their knuckles up the steps...

For Phillips screws I use a flat blade that just fits the width of the longer part of the cross. I've heard of easyouts but never seen them in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    For Phillips screws I use a flat blade that just fits the width of the longer part of the cross. I've heard of easyouts but never seen them in action.
    Hi Journeyman

You just reminded me of the bushman's method. Use a cold chisel (carefully!) of the correct diameter. One gentle hit and then unscrew....

I had a laugh - I do have a tendency to hit the mother with the flat imbedded... I justify it by thinking it helps loosen the threads. Plus relieves the tension. (in me)

Just a quick note to the author of the guide, that the 5 Torx holding the collar to the thermoblock are actually T25 not T20.
    Have just done my second replacement and both gave me issue with the same screw! It's the one on the left hidden below the metal plate, I had bought a new torx set (long shafted) after the experience with the first machine and using screw driver with changeable bits that didn't clear the metal plate. With the T20 I felt the head beginning to burr so I tried a T25 and it fitted much better and worked first go with all the others. I did however need to use an 'GRABIT' (basically a easy out equivalent) to remove the screw in question, will be sourcing a set of replacements in high-tensile, because the stock screws are too soft hence burring occurs.

Gus..

em6900 collars

Gus,
    Interesting discussion you had there,I've just had a em6900 with a dead collar in combination with three collar mounting bolts (Tork 25) that had stripped their threads out of the collar itself!
    All I could do was to look around my w/shop found and then used five countersunk z/plated 5/32nd metal threads instead,retapped with a bottoming tap.
    Pointless as it turned out because the collar itself has a section of inner rim missing from wear caused by a mis-aligned locking ear,well at least I'm getting good at removing the collar now,only need to loosen four brass coupling/pipe/joiners and I can wiggle it enough to change over....very satisfying.
    I will have to go back to the original T25 torks now to mount the new collar.
    Hopefully I can get a replacement and I'm in business again.
    Cheers
    Mick.

Well thank you Wan and to all that have contributed to create the collar replacement manual.

I purchased my em6910 about 4 years ago, 2nd hand and never had a gauge of how the group head should lock in to start with.
    The unit started leaking over the last few months and when enough was enough I purchased a new group head seal

After replacing the seal and not getting any joy, I found this walk through. Armed with a replacement collar that I sourced through an electrical parts wholesaler in Dangenong and this great manual, I was able to replace the collar in about an hour and minimal fuss. At the same time i decided, what the hell it's Xmas, so I treated the steam wand to a clean out courtesy of a vinegar solution wash

What really surprised me after pulling my first shot was how much coffee I have been wasting (I can now use nearly 5mm less coffee in the basket) and how weak the coffee was getting. Now the flavour of the coffee is full, no leaking all over the bench top and now the milk is back to something resembling a properly stretched microfoam milk.

My struggle with contagiousitus has temporarily subsided and the only problem i have now is when I make an average coffee I cant blame the machine
    Ray
    cuppaZen likes this.

So does anyone know somewhere in Sydney that will remove that one bolt under the steam pipe that stripped and has so far destroyed 2 drill bits and a couple of easy outs?

I cannot believe that a bolt serving the purpose it does needs to be torqued that much and then thread locked. It's a fricking joke. I'm -->| |<-- this far from going and buying a Domobar Super.
    NK4 likes this.

This guide is missing some steps that I would like to have seen. Following this guide is a good way to snap the nipple at the back of the thermoblock connecting the solenoid valve to the thermoblock.
    It makes it quicker in some ways but in the long run, it's far riskier. I'm in the slow process of compiling another guide. It will take longer but is far safer and much less stressful.

Some EM6910's suffered from more threadlock than others. Some have none, some have a reasonable amount and then some are overkill.

Can you still apply clockwise rotation to the screw? If so, you can snap the head off it. You will need to remove the entire thermoblock from the machine to then get the snapped screw out of the hole in the thermoblock. The screw threads into only the collar, the thermoblock has no threading.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Can you still apply clockwise rotation to the screw? If so, you can snap the head off it. You will need to remove the entire thermoblock from the machine to then get the snapped screw out of the hole in the thermoblock. The screw threads into only the collar, the thermoblock has no threading.
    Nope. I'm going to have to get someone to dismantle it then take the thermoblock to someone to extract the bolt. Unfortunately, it seems I managed to loosen it a little.....i'm getting drips from between the portafilter and the seal.

FML.

Hello,
    just wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction for fixing my current problem with the coffee pour after a collar replacement. Prior to the collar being replaced I was experiencing a nice creaming coffee pour in the optimum pour pressure range. Now the new collar is on with new seal and the handle sits perfectly at 12 o'clock with no leaks. I am using the same basket and beans and grinder so nothing else has changed. However I can no longer get a creamy pour. The pour either starts too early and is lifeless or if I grind finer in struggles to get through at all. Perhaps the problem is unrelated to the collar change but it all seems too coincidental. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there. Looks like an old post so I'm sure you now have it sorted but over time when your collar wears out, your filling technique as well as your tamping pressure changes. I suggest you have a look at the 5 cent piece technique to make sure you are filling and tamping correctly and then let us know how you go. Good luck!

Thanks very much, after clicking a number of links that didn't work, yours did and I've saved it to dropbox Thanks again!

Hi,
    just joined the group recently. Looking to get the part number for my em6910 collar replacement and some pointers if that's at all possible.

Thank you in advance

Cheers

Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doniuv View Post
    Hi,
    just joined the group recently. Looking to get the part number for my em6910 collar replacement and some pointers if that's at all possible.

Thank you in advance

Cheers
    You donít really need the part number. You just want to make sure itís an EM6910 collar. The EM6910 has had many versions, but the collar is the same for all. Just make sure you donít get an EM6900 collar.
    doniuv likes this.

Part number is EM6910106.

The revised EM6900 collar will still work fine, you just need different bolts to attach the collar to the thermoblock as they used a smaller thread.
    doniuv likes this.

Just read through the doco, really impressed with the attention to detail. I am figuring that the collar is the part I have to change as I have tried changing out the seal and that made no difference. It seems that the collar is "key" in getting upward pressure on the basket against the seal. The collar must be made out of some cheap metal as there doesn't seem to be much wear on the lobes on my basket. Many thanks for passing this on.

Just read through the doco, really impressed with the attention to detail. I am figuring that the collar is the part I have to change as I have tried changing out the seal and that made no difference. It seems that the collar is "key" in getting upward pressure on the basket against the seal. The collar must be made out of some cheap metal as there doesn't seem to be much wear on the lobes on my basket. Many thanks for passing this on.
    This guide was what got me started on refurbishing EM6910s. Iíve since done about 5 of them and while I still think the guide is a good starting point I disagree with how they suggest getting the collar out without removing the brew thermoblock. While it does involve removing a few more parts to get the thermoblock out it makes the job much easier overall and gives you an opportunity to clean out any coffee thatís in there at the same time. Just make sure you either take photos or make notes as you disassemble the machine so you know how to put it back together again. The only tricky bit is undoing (and reattaching) the brass nut that connects to the 3-way solenoid, but you just have to take your time and go easy.
    gordons and doniuv like this.

G'day doniuv

My starting point:-

Try either seal with a spacer between the top of the seal and the collar. It is a standard SB part, however you can easily make one yourself.

Most 6910s I encounter just need a thorough clean + a spacer. Replacing the collar is overkill - unless the previous owner got coffee grinds everywhere and then the grounds act like grinding paste and destroy the collar.

TampIt

Sweet, thanks I'll go with that. I have tried to pack the seal with some gasket paper but that was not enough. I put 2 layers in and figured I don't want to have half a seal sitting in the housing and start folding the shower plates backwards. It's looking like the collar as thats the last item that will influence the locking in and upward pressure onto the seal. Appreciate the pointers thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    This guide is missing some steps that I would like to have seen. Following this guide is a good way to snap the nipple at the back of the thermoblock connecting the solenoid valve to the thermoblock.
    It makes it quicker in some ways but in the long run, it's far riskier. I'm in the slow process of compiling another guide. It will take longer but is far safer and much less stressful. ...
    I know it a good 3 Ĺ years since this post, so I'm guessing the updated guide stalled and got overtaken by other priorities.

I'm at the stage of having to replace my collar again. I was not overly comfortable with the removal step in the current guide and be more than happy to spend more time to remove the thermoblock (if that is all that is required). I notice that LeroyC made a similar comment further on.

Do either of you (
    noidle22, LeroyC or anyone else that has done this/ese extra step(s)) have the time to give at least an overview of the additional work. I'd be happy to document the steps for future repairers.

Thanks.
    level3ninja likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast