Thread: Single Cup Basket Sunbeam

Single Cup Basket Sunbeam

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys

Im new to the board, so hello to everyone.

I was wondering if someone could point me towards a place in Sydney where i can buy a single sized basket for my Sunbeam 6910 machine with a single floor (it comes with a dual floor which is terrible for taste).

Thanks

Jamie

Re: Single Cup Basket Sunbeam

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

The 6910 comes with 4 baskets.
    Single single floor
    Double single floor
    Single double floor
    Double double floor

The single floor single basket is tricky to get a decent shot out of.
    Most people here only use the double basket.

What dont you like about the taste?
    Have you tried adjusting the grind a little finer and pulling a shorter shot (ristretto) to see if that helps with the taste?

The instructions with the machine include a list of Sunbeam agents that should be able to order you a basket if they dont have one in stock.

If you dont have the list just ring the Sunbeam Coffee Helpline and they will point you to the nearest one.

Where in Sydney are you (please update your profile, it helps with offering help).

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 467A677C767760757D76120 link=1283294766/1#1 date=1283310528
    Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

The 6910 comes with 4 baskets.
    Single single floor
    Double single floor
    Single double floor
    Double double floor

What dont you like about the taste?
    Have you tried adjusting the grind a little finer and pulling a shorter shot (ristretto) to see if that helps with the taste?

The instructions with the machine include a list of Sunbeam agents that should be able to order you a basket if they dont have one in stock.

If you dont have the list just ring the Sunbeam Coffee Helpline and they will point you to the nearest one.

Where in Sydney are you (please update your profile, it helps with offering help).
    TG.... What about the beans ;)

Jamierk care to offer some incite as to Beans and grinder your using ?

Quote Originally Posted by 416E6765724D616E6167656D656E74000 link=1283294766/2#2 date=1283311151
    TG....What about the beans
    One variable at a time. ;)

Thanks guys for the reply.

Ive had the machine for almost 2 years and am generally very happy with the taste i get from the double basket. But since im usually only making for 1, i was hoping to cut back to single shots. Ive used the double floor single shot basket a few times and adjusted the grind size to make the grind more coarse, or else the shot is very slow. Coffee tastes a bit under extracted still, and the shot is also very difficult to remove from the handle after extraction. It seems mine didnt come with the single floor version.

I use the sunbeam cafe grinder (cant remember the model) with the adjustable size. Beans i use at the moment are either Tobys Estate woolloomooloo or one of the AllPress beans (im in Kingsford, so AllPress are right next door).

Always keen to learn more about making coffee! I am generally pretty happy with how the home machine goes, but im no expert.

Thanks

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by 7E425F444E4F584D454E2A0 link=1283294766/1#1 date=1283310528
    Dear AngerManagement, just wondering if you have an explanation why this basket would be tricky to use...? I just got a Sunbeam 6910 (first machine) and have been having a lot of trouble getting good shots with it too. One of the things Im concerned about is Im using pre-ground beans and not sure if my doseing is correct.

Anyone know how many grams the single and double Sunbeam baskets are meant to take?

Thanks!

As you were quoting me, not AM, Ill answer.

I think the basket is difficult to use because it is poorly designed.

In my opinion, a well designed single basket would not need a change of grind setting because the size and design of the basket would take this into consideration.

Ive never measured how many grams the Sunbeam baskets take but if you want to get the dosing right (for the double basket), get into a routine where you dose, settle and tamp so that half of the metal part of the Sunbeam tamper shows over the top of the basket when youve finished tamping.

As for the single basket, its been so long since I used one I cant remember what adjustments youd need to make to compensate for the poor design.
    Im afraid youre on your own.
    Youll have to change the grind and or the dose but remember to only change one at a time so youll know what effect each adjustment makes.

Quote Originally Posted by 363D3135392E375C0 link=1283294766/0#0 date=1283294766
    Hey guys

Im new to the board, so hello to everyone.

I was wondering if someone could point me towards a place in Sydney where i can buy a single sized basket for my Sunbeam 6910 machine with a single floor (it comes with a dual floor which is terrible for taste).

Thanks

Jamie
    I guess youve tried the local Sunbeam service centres? Otherwise just about any ridgeless 58mm single basket should fit - eg this one from Pullman (order it with a tamper custom made to fit ;) ) or check Coffee Parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F02420 link=1283294766/7#7 date=1287703246
    just about any ridgeless 58mm single basket should fit
    I dont know how I missed that.

Youre right of course.
    I was using the basket that came with my Expobar in the Sunbeam at work because the silly buggers kept throwing the originals in the bin when they knocked out the puck.

I used to keep mine in my drawer and take it to and from the machine. ::)

Yash,

Im sorry to say but pre-ground beans wont give great coffee. Ground beans go stale in 3 minutes, roasted whole beans in about 3 weeks.

If its pre-ground its stale.

If the beans dont have a "GROUND ON" date that is less than 3 weeks ago, they are stale.

Stale coffee not only gives poor coffee, it acts very differently in the machine.

Greg

GregWormald,

Thanks for the advice mate. After two and a half weeks of trying to make coffee on my new machine using pre-ground beans I can also testify from experience that its a waste of time! Tasting more stale by the day :( But at least I can tell the difference now :)

Time for a GOOD grinder! Will either be the Nuova Simonelli MCF (doser grinder) for $450, or the Mahlkönig Vario at $680 if I can stretch that far. I really like the idea of consistent dosing with the Vario. Not sure if its worth the extra $230 ..?

Im not familiar with either of those machines, Yash, maybe someone else can comment.

In general though, the grinder is actually as important, if not more important than the machine in the production of a delicious coffee.

That budget for a grinder also identifies you as a COFFEE SNOB. ;D

Greg

Ok fellas, an update from me - I bought the Malkonig Vario grinder and things are looking UP! Made a couple of exceptional coffees today; and all done using the factory single floor single basket.

On the topic of this basket Ive been advised that the single is designed for 14g and the double for 21g. According to traditional sizing, this actually makes the single a double and the double a triple.

Considering the negative reviews of the 14g sunbeam single, Im thinking that it may be more wise to replace it with a non-sunbeam *14g basket with a double-style design (one that doesnt taper down so much)...any thoughts? Im also keen on adding a smaller 7-9g basket to the line up for when I want to just to make a small single shot coffee... Anyone tried this?

Congratulations! Thats a superb grinder. Ive never tried any Sunbeams though.

I exclusively use the single basket when I make a coffee for myself. Ive tried many times with the double but never get it as good as I can with the single. I know its the opposite of everyone else, but it simply tastes the best to me.

Obviously you need the right grind and fresh roasted beans, 1-3 weeks old absolute maximum.
    I fill the portafilter till it overflows, tap the PF on something 4 times (just lightly) then scrape/level off the grinds with a straight edge (teaspoon). Thank tamp and burnish.