Thread: Rancilio Silvia warranty repair denied

Rancilio Silvia warranty repair denied

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

I have a little dilemma. I sent my Silvia (bought in November last year) away for repair last week as it was throwing our earth leakage switch. Today, the tech gives me a call and tells me that the repairs arent covered under warranty as I had run the boiler dry. I could hardly believe my ears when I heard this, as I have always taken care to ensure that there was water in the boiler and element - the reservoir has never run empty, Ive never run the steam wand for more than 2 minutes (95% of the time no longer than 1 minute) and I always run water through the group head after brewing/steaming to both clean the group head and refill the boiler with water.

Trying to tell him this was like talking to a brick wall. I then followed up with the retailer whom I purchased the machine from. They are adamant also that I am not covered by warranty for the boiler replacement. The one thing which I can possibly think of that can explain the boiler running dry is that water leaks from the steam wand. Its not a lot, however if I dont leave a jug sitting under the steam wand then if I come back to the machine after a few hours the machine will be sitting in a pool of water on the bench. From what the retailer has told me, the pump is only active while making coffee or when the hot water switch is on, so this has indicated to me that the leaking water was almost certainly the cause of the boiler running dry.

It seems to me that since this is the case, the repair should be covered under warranty as the problem was caused by a manufacturing fault (a leaky seal). Am I correct to think this?

Re: Rancilio Silvia warranty repair denied

Quote Originally Posted by 332232393A212B400 link=1283394704/0#0 date=1283394704
    Trying to tell him this was like talking to a brick wall.I then followed up with the retailer whom I purchased the machine from.They are adamant also that I am not covered by warranty for the boiler replacement.The one thing which I can possibly think of that can explain the boiler running dry is that water leaks from the steam wand.Its not a lot, however if I dont leave a jug sitting under the steam wand then if I come back to the machine after a few hours the machine will be sitting in a pool of water on the bench.From what the retailer has told me, the pump is only active while making coffee or when the hot water switch is on, so this has indicated to me that the leaking water was almost certainly the cause of the boiler running dry.

It seems to me that since this is the case, the repair should be covered under warranty as the problem was caused by a manufacturing fault (a leaky seal).Am I correct to think this?
    I am looking at this in a subjective way only

I know its a disappointing result on your claim

However the seal in the steam wand should have been fixed (warranty or wear and tear replacement) when it was noticed

If that tiny repair was done the boiler would not have shorted

One thing has led to another ect ect

KK

Thanks for the honest response KK. In hindsight, yes I should have had the leak fixed under warranty when I noticed it, however at the time it didnt seem to be significant enough to go without my machine for 5-10 working days while it was being fixed. Unfortunately the instruction manual didnt educate me to the consequences of leaving this little fault unaddressed, either explicitly or implicitly. I guess Im just disappointed that Im likely going to have to cover the cost for the repair when Ive done everything by the book so to speak.

TC

Hi sbryzak,

"by the book" includes priming the boiler after you texture milk and each time the machine is turned on. Did you do that too?

Sadly, no manufacturer covers elements as [s]ab[/s]use in a manner they are not designed to tolerate will often kill them. :(

Quote Originally Posted by 7C233B2D262D2128282B2B232F204E0 link=1283394704/3#3 date=1283396807
    Hi sbryzak,

"by the book" includes priming the boiler after you texture milk and each time the machine is turned on. Did you do that too?
    Religiously. *I have no doubts now that the fault was caused by the leaky steam wand. *In fact, after some googling I found the following site which states "If your valve is leaking, you are increasing the risk of running your boiler dry, as well as causing rust problems."

http://technocosm.org/espresso/rancilio-silvia.html

Quote Originally Posted by 79687873706B610A0 link=1283394704/4#4 date=1283397255
    I have no doubts now that the fault was caused by the leaky steam wand. *
    Sorry, but I think this would be like buying a new car, noticing that the the radiator was leaking, driving it anyway, then claiming the engine shouldnt seize.

Also, steaming milk for two minutes seems to be a long, long time, even if it is only 5% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 123338383F25560 link=1283394704/5#5 date=1283398370
    Sorry, but I think this would be like buying a new car, noticing that the the radiator was leaking, driving it anyway, then claiming the engine shouldnt seize.
    I dont think it is quite the same. *I would say the average person would know that a leaky radiator in a car is a bad thing, but would not have the intricate knowledge of the internal workings of the Rancilio Silvia to know that minor leaking could eventually cause boiler damage.

Also, steaming milk for two minutes seems to be a long, long time, even if it is only 5% of the time.
    It was probably less than 5%, and that 5% is only out of the times I used the steamer (which is less than half the time I make coffee). *Nonetheless, page 35 of the manual clearly states "Never deliver steam longer than 4-5 minutes without filling the boiler water".

Im quite resigned to the fact that Im going to have to bite the bullet and cover the repair costs myself, and I do thank everyone for their feedback. *It has helped to see this from other perspectives - at first I was adamant that there was no way I was going to pay for it, but now Ive almost come to acceptance and Im only moderately annoyed *;).

I agree that the steam wand leak was the problem, compounded by the fact that the machine is not designed to be left on for extended periods when not in use. "How extended is extended?" is the question. Steam can escape unseen which will lower the water level in the boiler, but when visible water is leaking out in conjunction with the steam (and factor in evaporation) and this is ignored, then the damage was done due to neglect.

The question I have is: Why didnt the overheat thermostat protect the machine as it should have if there was an overheat condition that damaged the heating element? Whatever the answer, that should be replaced before use as it appears that it did not do its job.

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 0D3E313B260018715F0 link=1283394704/7#7 date=1283401447
    The question I have is: Why didnt the overheat thermostat protect the machine as it should have if there was an overheat condition that damaged the heating element? Whatever the answer, that should be replaced before use as it appears that it did not do its job.
    This was my thought also Randy! My Silvia (purchased from AF in Melbourne) was hammered for almost 10 years without issue. My wife left the steam switch on for most of the day while we were at work... more than once. The good old red button tripped once and we didnt give a second thought to opening her up, resetting and starting again. Sure, we primed the boiler after shots... I think... I dont remember being conscious of it towards the end but habits are exactly that! Why do we see so many of these comparatively young machines with issues? If they are built like tanks, are they running like Italian Battle Tanks? Did the fact that I bought my unit bench tested and set up by a quality retailer allay many of these issues? Some answers from the experienced would be enlightening to myself and those who Ive persuaded to buy Miss Silvia.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A6A7D6C6C2A2B28202F2B180 link=1283394704/8#8 date=1283403131
    This was my thought also Randy! *My Silvia (purchased from AF in Melbourne) was hammered for almost 10 years without issue. *..... *Why do we see so many of these comparatively young machines with issues? *If they are built like tanks, are they running like Italian Battle Tanks? *Did the fact that I bought my unit bench tested and set up by a quality retailer allay many of these issues? *
    It is impossible to say whether the perceived increase in Silvia problems is due to the machine, increased sales, increased use of said machines, or more people getting serious about coffee and posting on sites such as this. Or more folks buying them and thinking they are like any other kitchen appliance... In this case, allowing the steam valve to leak and not dealing with it is a good example for the sermon on "A stitch in time..."

Silvia has gone through some design changes, that we know. In this case, how the warranty handler concluded that the machine was damaged by low water level and not by a faulty protection thermostat is unknown. it would be interesting to test the original one, but will we even know if the repaired machine had that part replaced or not.

I can say that I owned my my late-2000 "V1.5" Silvia for 6½ years. It was the early model when they first changed from a bolt-in heating element to a welded-in element, and I never had to reset the protection thermostat. I did equip it with a PID after about two years or so.

I did have a brew thermostat fail (motivation to PID the thing, it was), and about a year before I sold it I had rebuilt the steam valve as it was hard to get it to seal. I do not know about the current models, but the valve in mine was a high-quality part. And other than replacing the group gasket a couple of times it was very dependable.

Im a bit dodgy on the no warranty for boiler parts thing in general. Say for instance i get a dodgy element or thermostat which causes element failure even if you prime the machine every five minutes, never use the steam function etc. etc., I dont really see how it is legal for them to not cover certain parts? I understand that most such failures are user error, but probably not all and ALL LeLit family machines drip from the steam wand...

Quote Originally Posted by 7B60607B721A0 link=1283394704/10#10 date=1283408316
    I dont really see how it is legal for them to not cover certain parts?
    Its known as a, "limited warranty" and yes, its entirely legal and not uncommon amongst a wide range of products.

Yes, but couldnt you dispute this as a statutory warranty claim given that the manufacturers and retailers instructions were followed and the OPs machine is not fit for purpose after 9 months?

Quote Originally Posted by 627979626B030 link=1283394704/12#12 date=1283410673
    Yes, but couldnt you dispute this as a statutory warranty claim given that the manufacturers and retailers instructions were followed and the OPs machine is not fit for purpose after 9 months?
    You could dispute it whichever way you want.

The warranty or statutory warranty would have entitled repair of the leaking steam arm.

When the consumer doesnt do anything about the leaking wand, then I believe it would be reasonable to argue that the consumers neglect caused the consequent fault.

Besides, bottom line is that its stated that the element is not covered. If you want to argue one part of the documentation provided I dont see how you can turn a blind eye to what isnt covered.

Looking at the bright side, since the warranty is worth jack in this case it might be time to install a PID.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4554444F4C575D360 link=1283394704/0#0 date=1283394704
    I have a little dilemma. *I sent my Silvia (bought in November last year) away for repair last week as it was throwing our earth leakage switch. *
    The mob that look after these in Brisbane have had a run of interesting cases and *of the two i have had first hand experience in after being through them.. *Then the actual cause is very SUSS.. The elements have looked NEAR new and none of the usual low water and or hot markings...

Have seen another two that were replaced due to leaks and low water (mates and girlfriends) and - Yes it was as plain as can be that there was a problem. No chance of warranty at all.

However; Limited warranty is just that and like in the medical field.. Glass pieces and even plasma laser costing many thousands are only covered for very specific faults that can be proven beyond a doubt.. *Fire up a laser and blow a tube worth $25K and it is 95% not covered and you have to suck it up....

So unless ya prepared to to have an independent assessment and a exhaustive testing and examination by another qualified and respected person; who is not going to be able to give 100% assurance any way. *And then take it to the small claims etc..

Guess what... Ya have to take it on the chin. *PS.. Not sure a pid will solve any thing...

However I do know that the guy who lost two boilers very quickly; was fitting a level detector mod and a cut out.. Caff knows who I mean *;)

Just reading through all of these comments, one of the things that i always do with my Silvia is turn it off. Unless you are using it throughout the day and constantly refreshing the boiler, then it is worth just turning it off.

I have timed mine on the bench and from off to on it is only about 2 and half minutes. Not a bad wait time at all! :D

Quote Originally Posted by 4756425B4244370 link=1283394704/16#16 date=1284337047
    I have timed mine on the bench and from off to on it is only about 2 and half minutes. Not a bad wait time at all!
    But it wont be properly warmed up.

on a quick read of this:

It is as the repair shop and some others have said;

You should not leave a Silvia on indefinitely...no need to, turn it on when required then turn off after use.

Repair shops can tell when an element has failed due to being overheated (that would be lack of water), or if it failed just because a higher power said it should.

Elements failing due to overheating are not covered under warranty.

When the repair shop cant pin the failure on overheating (low water) the repair (atleast in my case) will generally be covered under warranty by reputable businesses.

A new machine warranty or guarantee, when you peel away all the BS wording is nothing more than:
    The item is guaranteed to be free of defective manufacture and assembly for whatever period has been stipulated by the vendor from the date of retail sale. Thats it, the rest is just padding around the facts.

Limited warranty does apply and strictly follows the definition of a warranty above and ie., if the leaking steam pipe had been addressed, the problem wouldnt have arisen whether the cut out functioned or not.

We have generally found over the years, that leaking in silvia steam taps has been caused by clients overtightening the knob.

I am not saying that bis what happened here, its just my experience and of course, *that also cant be warrantable.............

If you buy from an impersonal discount house somewhere out in cyberspace you are more likely to have your problems treated to the exact letter of the law & nothing more. Generally speaking I expect you would be treated more "leniently" *and with goodwill in cases where the pendulum could swiing either way, if the item was bought from a "real person" in a shop where you can get "before and after sales service".

None of this is intended to offend anyone, just some objective comments from a silvia importer and repairer for the benefit of the discussion.

Rgdz,
    A
    very first CS site sponsor

I have just sent my Silvia for repair to my retailer in Melbourne. *It seems that theyve already had 4 out 20 customers with problems with the boiler. *I hope mine will be repaired under the warranty. *I havent noticed any leaks, etc. and there was water in the tank. * :-/

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 78454E58434D452A0 link=1283394704/19#19 date=1286080993
    I have just sent my Silvia for repair to my retailer in Melbourne. *It seems that theyve already had 4 out 20 customers with problems with the boiler. *I hope mine will be repaired under the warranty. *I havent noticed any leaks, etc. and there was water in the tank. * :-/
    Makes me even happier that we no longer sell Rancilio. Given that the importers retail at pretty much wholesale price (or was that wholesale to us at retail price?), its only fair that they get to clean up their own mess ;)

what is your experience selling Rancilio?

NO offense intended Rodrigo but a full tank does not mean a full boiler. there is a big diff in the two.

work with your retailer to resolve the issues...... and better to say nothing at all if you cant find anything good to say etc etc on a web forum.......

resale on 2nd hand Silvias has always been good

it seems the wholesaler has squeezed out some other retailers on new machines. sadly there are few machines in this category that have had such a long history of quality as the silvia. it will be interesting to see how this effects their popularity here in OZ

good luck with the repair.

..... and better to say nothing at all if you cant find anything good to say etc etc on a web forum...….

…and why is that maheel?…..do you sell Rancilio Silvias??

Rodrigos posts seemed fine to me. Would you prefer freedom of speech be limited to positive comments only and people having problems with their coffee machines should not post on this forum?

I am in the market for a new machine, and in deciding on which one, I am especially interested in hearing other peoples experiences with their machines, and that includes problems they are having (in this thread) with Rancilio Silvia machines.

I will now go read threads on the problems people are having with Lelit and Venus.

Cheers all, and thanks for the insight ;)

ALL LeLit family machines drip from the steam wand... *[/QUOTE]

I have read about this problem in reviews of the Lelit machines yet I cant seem to recall any issue of boilers burning out as a result?
    I guess the protection thermostats must work in the Lelit machines?

Even though the OP has apparently been careful, one slip up and his machine is cooked due to the protector failing both the boiler …and the OP.

Ok..these things can happen and then you are relying on the warranty people to make an honest call on the cause of the cooked boiler.

Im no expert, but I would be asking the warranty people whether the protector was still working…..did they test it?
    If it is considered functional, then they would be telling fibbs….and if it is not, then it was a faulty part and surely covered by warranty?

OP….did they give you a reason why the boiler is shot?….and did they mention anything about the thermostat protector failing?

My interest in this case is not only the machine itself, but the after sales service and warranty provided by Rancilio.

By choosing to not give the purchaser the benefit of the doubt, as it appears to me in this case, other prospective buyers hear about it on forums such as this one, and may shy away from getting one of their products.
    Hearing dodgy warranty rejections resulting in like a $200+ repair bill certainly doesnt impress me all that much.

Has the retailer that you purchased the machine from offered any assistance with your warranty claim?

Id be hopping mad if it was me….and wouldnt be letting Rancilio off too lightly.
    As the repairer mentioned in an above post, *4 out of 20 of the machines had boiler issues and the poor OP is number 5.

Ill go put my flameproof jacket on now :D

Correction

Oops…it was the Isomac Venus not the Lelit that I read in reviews that leaked through the steam wand. Appologies to Lelit :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 47656564796263646F0A0 link=1283394704/25#25 date=1287957990
    Correction

Oops…it was the Isomac Venus not the Lelit that I read in reviews that leaked through the steam wand. Appologies to Lelit *:)
    Many single boiler machines- Silvia, Isomac, Lelit will eventually leak through the steam wand. Some require valve replacment to solve the problem, others require seals or o-rings. These machines dont think for themselves so cannot do a boiler top up as there is no control board, so they should not be placed on a time switch or left unattended. *Prime the boiler when you turn them on and after milk texture and then element failure is rarely an issue.

In service, its pretty easy to pick a cooked element from a faulty one.

2mcm

I am a complete newbie about to purchase my first machine. This thread has been very educational. Would anybody be willing to explain what "priming the boiler " means . I though that keeping the tank filled up would protect, but It appears that keeping the water tank filled up is not enough to protect the boiler. Will all this stuff be explained to me when I purchase from a sponsor? PS thanks for all the advice so far!

I have previously owned a Silvia, from memory it was a 04 model or about there - it served me very well in the 2 years that I owned it.

However, comparing what I had to the current models, it seems like things have been cheapened on the externals - the new group handles, plastic bits that used to be steel - dont like it. Having said that, it does not necessarily means the internals have been cheapened as well, but I do much prefer the feel & finish of the older models.

I know that had nothing to do with the warranty issues discussed here, but just wanted to express my opinion :P

Quote Originally Posted by 6E5B50504761695F574A5B4D3E0 link=1283394704/27#27 date=1287961504
    Would anybody be willing to explain what "priming the boiler " means . I though that keeping the tank filled up would protect, but It appears that keeping the water tank filled up is not enough to protect the boiler.
    Hi Mishky,

To prime the boiler you just need to run the pump to push water from the tank into the boiler till its full. *You run the pump either by turning on the brew or hot water switch - you know the boiler is full when water runs from the group head or, preferably, from the steam arm (assuming youve opened the steam valve first). *Try and find a diagram of the boiler - it helped me understand the issue (sorry - couldnt find a link for you at the moment).

This makes sure the element is covered with water - the water level can drop for many reasons... steaming obviously but also assorted leaky seals/valves. *You just need to include priming into your ritual at the end of each session - eg. prime, rinse, backflush.

As 2mcm indicated, these traditional single boiler machines dont have the sensors, electronics and valves required to look after the boiler themselves - by the time you add all that you are close to the HX price range anyway. *Thermoblock machines dont have the same problems - you need to look at the trade-offs with each against your expectations.

Thank you so much for that assistance scarey and khavi. Now I get it ( I feel like a goose now as it so logical once someone explains it). But at least I am learning this stuff before any damage is done. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 724651475C6B775B52525151340 link=1283394704/18#18 date=1284349267
    A new machine warranty or guarantee, when you peel away all the BS wording is nothing more than:
    The item is guaranteed to be free of defective manufacture and assembly for whatever period has been stipulated by the vendor from the date of retail sale. Thats it, the rest is just padding around the facts.

Not true in all circumstances. If an item would normally be expected to last for significantly longer than the warranty period, a customer can make a warranty claim even after the manufacturers defined warranty period has ended. I read about this on a forum for Digital TVs a couple of years back, with regard to failures of high-end plasma TVs shortly after the 12 month warranty period.
    In the coffee world, the equivalent would be if I purchased a $3000 domestic espresso machine and it was normally expected to have a 10-30 year life, I could claim for manufacturing defects that occurred a couple of years after purchase. About the only thing I can think of here would be something like cracks in the group head casting only becoming evident over time.
    Most manufacturing defects do show up pretty quickly after purchase, but manufacturers/retailers cant use a short warranty period to avoid their responsibilities w.r.t. providing products of merchantable quality.

Obviously if I bought a $75 Breville, it would be unreasonable to expect it to have a long usable life.

Oh yes and consumers can choose whether to deal with their retailer or the manufacturer directly for warranty issues, retailers cant force the customer to deal direct with the manufacturer.

As for the car radiator analogy - if my radiator started leaking and I continued driving the car in blissful ignorance, then fixing the seized engine would be covered as the radiator failure (covered under warranty) was the cause of the second failure. The issue comes down to whether the original fault was known and not corrected in a timely manner.
    The OP clearly stated that the leaking steam valve was a known problem, which means they were obliged to get it fixed, and subsequent failure of the boiler element would not be covered due to their inaction. The good news is that the leaking steam valve should still be repaired under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by 464E40484A50504C4048230 link=1283394704/32#32 date=1288002356
    If an item would normally be expected to last for significantly longer than the warranty period, a customer can make a warranty claim even after the manufacturers defined warranty period has ended.I read about this on a forum
    And as I mentioned above, the term for this is statutory warranty".

Quote Originally Posted by 464E40484A50504C4048230 link=1283394704/32#32 date=1288002356
    The OP clearly stated that the leaking steam valve was a known problem, which means they were obliged to get it fixed, and subsequent failure of the boiler element would not be covered due to their inaction.
    Im so glad you agree! ;)

I have just had my Silvia repaired for the first time after 9 years. The tech told me that I had run the boiler dry and cooked the element. However, it then turned out to be the thermostat that had gone - cheaper to repair at least. The major issue I had with the repair was that I went back to where I bought the machine (Mocopan) and they were unbelievably unhelpful - in fact didnt even look at it for >3 weeks and when I went and reclaimed it they were still no closer to opening it up to have a look. I took it to Grinders and they at least diagnosed the problem and fixed it in a somewhat reasonable timeframe. So, take home message - avoid Mocopan like the plague.

So, the silvia is not the indestructable, problem free, super dooper coffee trooper that some would have me believe. Maybe this might start a bag out session similiar to the ones that 6910 owners have tolerated for ages ;D.

Up for some silvia bashin AM ? ;D ;D ;D or are you :-X bwahahahaha

( joking everyone - dont throw your little boilers at me)

And to clarify atleast from my own experience.

The Silvia is one of the most indestructible / *reliable domestic machines out there. See two posts up......first repair in 9 years.

There are 3 common things that crop up from time to time, and virtually nothing in warranty.

a) new owners do occasonally blow elements. *They are virtually never warrantable because the operator has allowed the boiler to run low on water. Sometimes this is the problem with buying a "box" instead of paying extra and getting a lesson. It does state in the destructions about proper management and care, and in my own instance we also insert a comprehensive appendix that further reinforces proper management. There is however no subsitute for a face to face explanation.

b) leaking steam pipes. Already covered above in most cases caused by overtightening the knob. Again, seldom warrantable do to it being an operational issue.

c) Coffee blowing over the group seal....usually always caused by updosing. You guessed it, not warrantable duw to operator issue.

I will repeat, we virtually never see warranty issues in Silvia and I will add, *Rocky.

If that isnt an indication of something that is well built and relaible, I dont know what is?

Individual service providers are just that...individual....service providers. Some are nice and some arent!

Despite academic discussion above, Ive never struck anyone in Consumer Affairs that would side with a client wanting to claim any sort of "warranty" stautory or otherwise once an appliance is way out of its official period of guarantee, and they have checked all details with the vendor first. Reputable vendors will help their clients and weigh up whether the client is deserving of help after the period of guarantee has ended...on individual basis. *Clients that jump up and down when they are clearly in the wrong, and treat their retailer like a punching bag in trying to get their way, get their warrantees taken to the letter of the law. They happen from time to time, and nobody will help someone that behaves like an a/hole with employees that are genuinely trying to help them or atleast explain the situation that the repair cannot be done under guarantee. Consumer affairs listens to both sides of the story if and when a problem goes that far that it gets to them, but usually a reputable repairer has it sorted out one way or the other long beforehand.

The rest is just..academic. ;)

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

Ahhh, I knew someone would bite. ;) Its all good. As long as it makes good coffee when it works, who care what brand the machine is.

hehehe :)

It was a clarification on a few things up there derrliex, a clarification....not a bite! :D

Awww, cmon, lets call it a nibble then ;D

After reading this thread as a newbie Silvia owner, Im hoping someone could comment on the following:

My procedure is as follows:

* Switch machine on - run water through the group head. (sometimes this running water step is skipped)
    * 15 minutes later - run water through the group head again and steam wand (switch brew switch on , open steam wand, wait for light to come on, close steam wand, switch off switch)
    * Repeat above step, brew 2x coffees
    * Turn steam switch on, wait till light goes out, empty wand of water, put milk jug under make microfoam (from 200-250mL milk), switch steam switch off, clean wand, then (switch brew switch on , open steam wand, wait for light to come on, close steam wand, switch off switch)
    * Repeat above two steps for 2x more coffees
    * switch brew switch on , open steam wand, wait for light to come on, close steam wand, switch off switch
    * once every 2-3 weeks back flush (should this be every time?)
    * switch brew switch on , open steam wand, wait for light to come on, close steam wand, switch off switch
    * switch off.

I assume the above should take care of ensuring the boiler will always be primed?

The only worry I now have is in regards to the leaky steam wand, I usually have one or two drops (literally drops) come out of the end of the steam wand when Im warming up / making coffee. Do I need to adjust anything here or take it to have it looked at by the people who sold it to me?